• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
awful awful games tonight, its karma for this morning I guess :3

Pygrus

Are there any things I should keep in my before trying to dive into quick match? I've gotten a couple of characters to level 5 through AI battles, but I feel like they have become so mind numbingly easy.

I understand having to play the objective, but I'm still pretty lost on when to go for merc camps and when to rotate and all the little details.

Played some full on battle malf in qm cause matchmaking gave double support.

Machine gun malf is pretty damn fun and you'd be surprised at the dmg you can do.

Kioshen

Dahbomb and I were playing last night, and this dude raged out about Dahbomb taking a solo lane with Nova and not joining one of the fights.

It was goddamn Quick Play.

Dahbomb is trying it too that's cool. Although he was kinda right because Nova doesn't have good wave clear. She's much better at ganking lanes and making enemies paranoid. It's a waste to let her sit in a lane. After all, she's the #1 player killer in the game (meme tm).

kirblar

Dahbomb and I were playing last night, and this dude raged out about Dahbomb taking a solo lane with Nova and not joining one of the fights.

It was goddamn Quick Play.
Guy's an asshole. He's also not wrong - Nova's only good at one thing- killing people. If she's in a lane solo she shouldn't be there. (One of your other teammates should be rotating after the fight's over in order to soak so she can roam.)

Kioshen

Are there any things I should keep in my before trying to dive into quick match? I've gotten a couple of characters to level 5 through AI battles, but I feel like they have become so mind numbingly easy.

I understand having to play the objective, but I'm still pretty lost on when to go for merc camps and when to rotate and all the little details.

Pre-10, focus on soaking, arrive on time for objective and don't die.
Post-10, group up, arrive on time for objective and don't die.
Post-20, don't die and kill core.

There's also this neat post on reddit on what to do after a team fight.

Fancolors

What is the best place to follow HotS esport scene? I tried watching six months ago but didn't get a thing, now that I'm more familiar with the game, I may be appreciate it better. Right now the only thing I follow is Grubby's stream, they have been pretty informative so far.

Celegus

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man this evening was one of those sessions where old Rhak would consider quitting the game over lol.

I think that was 6 straight losses. /shrug #aintnothang #tleastIgotlootboxes

They are going to do a maintenance tomorrow 7am pdt. I assume that's when it goes live

I believe that these special challenges AND the new sales roll over in europe at the same time as US right?

at least im almost sure I remember the sales always being before the actual EU maintenence back in the day.

Kioshen

man this evening was one of those sessions where old Rhak would consider quitting the game over lol.

I think that was 6 straight losses. /shrug #aintnothang #tleastIgotlootboxes

I believe that these special challenges AND the new sales roll over in europe at the same time as US right?

at least im almost sure I remember the sales always being before the actual EU maintenence back in the day.

Weren't you supposed to take it slow?

BraXzy

Great.. just booted it up and played the tutorial. It said I'd got a free crate so went to the loot box section. No crate but 100 gems which is enough to buy one.. assume that is what it meant. Buy.

Then I see the 20 hero bundle thing that's been repeatedly pushed for this 2.0 update. Great I'll grab one... oh it needs those 100 gems. RIP.

Fancolors

I think you can get some gem by leveling up? something like 150 every 25 levels. It sucks to not get the 20 heroes, but you can still get that free I guess

kirblar

Great.. just booted it up and played the tutorial. It said I'd got a free crate so went to the loot box section. No crate but 100 gems which is enough to buy one.. assume that is what it meant. Buy.

Then I see the 20 hero bundle thing that's been repeatedly pushed for this 2.0 update. Great I'll grab one... oh it needs those 100 gems. RIP.
Did you play the Veteran Challenge? Or the basic tutorial.

BraXzy

They really should make that clearer in game.

Yeah definitely. I assumed I'd have a pick 3 with no F2P currency requirements.

I think you can get some gem by leveling up? something like 150 every 25 levels. It sucks to not get the 20 heroes, but you can still get that free I guess

What does it take to get to 25 levels? I'm not committed to the game to grind levels for it. I just had passing interest.

Did you play the Veteran Challenge? Or the basic tutorial.

Just the basic tutorial I think. What does the vet challenge do?

Ketch

Yep, that's what I was getting at. Dread has gone full Brit with his cynicism at this point. He expects the worst and casts like it.

Can't really blame him though. He'd have to completely ignore that the other regions exist to not literally laugh out loud at how bad NA is.

The casters are somewhat standing in for the general audience so I think it would even be disingenuous for them not to point it out.

It's been 2 years since they removed the GOAT support from the game that was Bribewing.

RIP promote you were too good for this world that had no clue about rotations and exploiting globals.

Rhaknar

my Samuro win rate must be really high, peeps in QM just cant handle the copies I guess.

Quick, gimme a Graymane build see if I like him more. I tried a cocktail build before and I hated it :(

Rhaknar

It's still the cocktail build.

well thats a shame, I hated it :(

Alarak is so weird, I can see how he can set up some nasty plays, but, hes just weird.

Makes me want to play Legacy of the Void tho, as the character itself seems cool.

edit: hmm ok hes kinda cool, he has the kerrigan combo kinda, im trying to get a hang of the TK, I didnt realise you had to "paint" the direction at first. Crafted one of the cthulu skins for him too, think im going to be using him a lot, at least I certainly want to learn him.

is one of the ults clearly better than the other? I assume the one where he absorbs dmg and then dishes out? I kinda dig the dash ult too.

Dahbomb is trying it too that's cool. Although he was kinda right because Nova doesn't have good wave clear. She's much better at ganking lanes and making enemies paranoid. It's a waste to let her sit in a lane. After all, she's the #1 player killer in the game (meme tm).

Guy's an asshole. He's also not wrong - Nova's only good at one thing- killing people. If she's in a lane solo she shouldn't be there. (One of your other teammates should be rotating after the fight's over in order to soak so she can roam.)

It was just the beginning of the game, so it wasn't like Dahbomb farmed it the entire time.

That said, what's the balance of ganking vs. laning like? Is a hero worth a wave of creeps? Two?

I always like to roam and gank in MOBAs, so I need some partners that are happy farming lanes - lol.

Rhaknar

Did they get rid of hero bundles?

What's the best way to stack up on newly release heroes like zarya

shes part of the tank mega bundle if you havent picked that up yet. if you have, gold or wait for a sale

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
do a shit job of playing dehaka
get mvp anyway
game is full of noobs rn

edit: you can also tell how full of noobs it is by how often cursed hollow comes up now

Rhaknar

just had the sickest infernal shrine, 360k xp at the end thats how long it was. Super back and forth but we pulled through in the end. Game is so good sometimes man...

Also was using Dehka and the other Dehaka had the silence ult and it seems much better than the healing ult I had :(

edit: I keep rerolling boxes, im never gonna get 10k gold lol :(

Celegus

I'm getting sick of having so many Hanamura matches

Seems like most of them turn into each team turning in the exact same number of payloads and then bum rushing the boss for the win. I've mostly been picking Leoric since he always has a presence and can stall a bit with hardened bones. Any other heroes stand out for the new map?

Alur

Just contest, contest, contest. Every second you delay the enemy that yours isn't delayed is an advantage. Theirs can't spawn til they turn in what's on the map.

Celegus

Yeah I've been trying to do that but most of the time I'm the only one that does and would just end up dead, while the other 4 people feel the need to push our cart. Hopefully people will figure the map out eventually, right now it's such a clown fiesta.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can barely stand the game right now. An AI match on Hanamura should not take 12 minutes. And when you take the time to kindly explain the strategy behind loading your payloads and everyone still fucking ignores you then when it fires once they go "sorry" no you fucking aren't sorry you stubborn twat. Then they STILL ignore forts inbetween our payloads in order to walk the AI's all the way back to the beginning, and when it's there they go ahead and fight in lane but STILL don't push when they've killed everyone. Then we have 2 points and I explain if the last payload were double we could kill boss for win, so between payloads they decide to fight boss instead of knock over wide-open forts... by staggering in one at a time and dying one at a time.

This is just like a warp 2 years back in time to when I was low level. Way too many fucking idiots and nearly intolerable.

Top Bottom