• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I can barely stand the game right now. An AI match on Hanamura should not take 12 minutes. And when you take the time to kindly explain the strategy behind loading your payloads and everyone still fucking ignores you then when it fires once they go "sorry" no you fucking aren't sorry you stubborn twat. Then they STILL ignore forts inbetween our payloads in order to walk the AI's all the way back to the beginning, and when it's there they go ahead and fight in lane but STILL don't push when they've killed everyone. Then we have 2 points and I explain if the last payload were double we could kill boss for win, so between payloads they decide to fight boss instead of knock over wide-open forts... by staggering in one at a time and dying one at a time.

This is just like a warp 2 years back in time to when I was low level. Way too many fucking idiots and nearly intolerable.

I mean, there's probably a lot of new players right now AND its a AI match, where it most likely is in fact new players, what did you expect dude? Hell I lost an AI match earlier lol.

edit: I guess you are just blowing off steam, you do you.

scoobs

Ya I'd say AI matches are the last place you should be right now if you're trying to play with competent teammates. Ultimately it's a good thing that more people are trying the game out right now, so I can deal with playing with some potatoes for a bit.

Apathy

I mean, there's probably a lot of new players right now AND its a AI match, where it most likely is in fact new players, what did you expect dude? Hell I lost an AI match earlier lol.

edit: I guess you are just blowing off steam, you do you.

Being new is no excuse for being dumb though. People don't even read abilities. Had an auriel that did not use a crown, so I nicely said "hey put a crown on someone near you so you can have way more energy to spend on heals". Their reply was "no this is how I play, I don't heal". At the end of that match that last like 25 minites (we were on 20 talents for a while), checking their stats they totaled 6k healing. I was at 150k damage tanked at chen.

Artanisix

where can i read about how to actually play this game at a competitive level rather than being a mongoloid and running around like a MURky

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
first, you might want to edit your post to avoid getting hit by Uther's hammer.

second, I feel like mfpallytime's videos are a great way to introduce yourself to characters and the game. He is super chill and always explains the talents he is choosing and the maps he is playing.

scoobs

ETC is fun once you get to 10. Mosh Pitt is so fun
Ya only if you're teammates know how to follow up lol. It sucks when you hit the perfect mosh and nobody does damage so you just die.

And if you're looking for a way to play this game competitively or just at a higher level check out Kyle Fergusson on YouTube, he is an analytical streamer and he's diamond/master level. Also Into The Nexus, his podcast, has a strategy section that could help you out. FollowGrubby on YouTube/Twitch for another really good analytical streamer. He's grand master level so he is significantly better than these other guys. MFPallytime is pretty good for new players, but he's got a goofy personality that might turn you off (he screams alot and it was really hard for me to get passed initially, but he's alright).

TLDR - Here are the Youtubers I follow that you might enjoy
Kyle Fergusson (Into the Nexus guy) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC18KCWiLFlab5Oy5kVuW2zw
Fan (Pro assassin on Gale Force Esports) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClntdP-abV6GX9MkfIiYnMA
Grubby (hugely popular streamer, Grand Master player) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCF6pCTGMKdo9r_kFQS-H3Q
chu8 (another hugely popular streamer, GM player) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFja0NYKfrkNkQQjf6YzHsA
McIntyre (pro player, does tier lists and stuff. Decent streamer) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy2pSbktCNa0P9cR0wfLtwg
MFPallytime (biggest youtuber, great for new players) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaIG92A013x_Cuv-yQOO7Hw
nubkeks (Master player, good analytical commentary) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE6KM0hCgv9LDzjlwU0UWpw

Also, if you're someone that enjoys listening to podcasts check these out:
Into The Nexus
Core
Town Hall Heroes
Lords of the Storm

Rhaknar

Ya only if you're teammates know how to follow up lol. It sucks when you hit the perfect mosh and nobody does damage so you just die.

And if you're looking for a way to play this game competitively or at a higher level check out KyleFerguson on YouTube, he is an analytical streamer and he's diamond/master level. Also Into The Nexus, his podcast, has a strategy section that could help you out. MFPallytime is pretty good for new players.

"Ok gang Dehaka going in, im pulling this gul dan to you, kill him pls no ok just ok im dead now cool thanks loves"

I dont know why Dehaka turned into Tracer there at the end tho :3

Artanisix

Thanks guys good shit, I'll check them all out for sure. Mostly I feel like I just don't know how to play the maps in an optimal way, or where I should be

Alur

This thread has went to a new level leading up to and post release of 2.0. Lots of fresh faces chiming in, lots of vets helping out with tips and wisdom.

Warms my cold little heart. Kudos to you guys.

Rhaknar

Im not sure how I feel about my new affinity for assassins >_>

Alarak is fun

Altairre

Being new is no excuse for being dumb though. People don't even read abilities. Had an auriel that did not use a crown, so I nicely said "hey put a crown on someone near you so you can have way more energy to spend on heals". Their reply was "no this is how I play, I don't heal". At the end of that match that last like 25 minites (we were on 20 talents for a while), checking their stats they totaled 6k healing. I was at 150k damage tanked at chen.

Yeah it's the players that are actively being shitheads that get to me, like that Aba running down our forts in my last BoE game. He didn't even just AFK so that they would have a bot at least, no, he actively ran down our lanes into the towers/forts to die. Not even in a straight line either, so he was on the controls the entire time. So yeah, my advice would be to avoid weekends and AI games right now or play with an AI team if you have to because at least you can make them do stuff.

Grubby (hugely popular streamer, Ex Grand Master player) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCF6pCTGMKdo9r_kFQS-H3Q

Fixed that for you :p
He'll get there.

Alarak is super fun, and his voice actor is a god

In Star Trek he literally is.

Heroes_of_the_Storm_05.02.2017_-_04.00.36.08.png

My allied leoric getting extreme value out of that trait. I just shake my head at this point.

Rhaknar

I fucking love that master skins are only 100 shards, everytime I have a less used hero or one with no skins, just quickly get a master skin who are better than the default skins 99% of the time

Rhaknar

Upcoming Hero Sales
Tyrael — Sale Price: 250 Gems
Varian — Sale Price: 375 Gems

boo

Upcoming Featured Mounts
Pale Horse
Savage Butcher's Beast
Neon Spectre Phantom

Upcoming Featured Skins
Crimson Legion's Wrath Sonya
Grunty Murky
Twilight Shogun Artanis
Amber Lil' Ragnaros

edit: my win rate with Rag has to be like 10%, I dont even think im particularly bad with him, I just cant win any games lol. I like him too, which is a shame.

ElyrionX

I am a MOBA veteran of almost 15 years now but only just got into this game after the Overwatch cross promo and 20-hero bundle caught my eye.

I thought this was a casual MOBA but reading this thread, I can see that all the usual MOBA grievances (losing streaks, blaming teammates) still remain very much relevant lol.

Kioshen

where can i read about how to actually play this game at a competitive level rather than being a mongoloid and running around like a MURky

This should be a good one stop shop for everything you need to know.

Oh gosh people complaining about having Leoric & Arthas? That comp is pretty great.

Kinda hilarious really because both of them counter the other comp. Rexxar was hopefully having a bad time top and Morales shouldn't have much mana all game with all the burst and dots running around. Auriel had two great battery for her too.

============

Edit: If people are still having trouble with the play vs ai quest, can you post your information in the official forum thread? Devs are trying to get as much info as possible to fix this asap.

Edit2 : Kinda neat that in NA the GM leaderboard is full of assassins mains but in EU the top 2 right now are support mains and there's a mix of assassins and warrior mains.

Is that a battle mercy

Maledict

Kioshen that just sums up the differences between the regions though. EU teams are much more team focussed, whereas NA teams are constantly searching for the one perfect player that will make their team work.

There's no way an NA team would have kept AlextheProG like dignitas did last year when they you led him up and then had a terrible, terrible series with him. Too focussed on individuals and not team work and cohesion.

brian!

This should be a good one stop shop for everything you need to know.

Kinda hilarious really because both of them counter the other comp. Rexxar was hopefully having a bad time top and Morales shouldn't have much mana all game with all the burst and dots running around. Auriel had two great battery for her too.

============

Edit: If people are still having trouble with the play vs ai quest, can you post your information in the official forum thread? Devs are trying to get as much info as possible to fix this asap.

Edit2 : Kinda neat that in NA the GM leaderboard is full of assassins mains but in EU the top 2 right now are support mains and there's a mix of assassins and warrior mains.

For your last comment cauthon's article on supply and demand in na comp. hots is relevant: https://tempostorm.com/articles/bri...king-into-competitive-hots-is-such-a-struggle

Rhaknar

hmmm dat feeling when you understand heroes. You might still not like them, but at least you get them.

Case in point, Graymane. I see now that you are supposed to weave both ranged and worgen stuff in, I didnt realise that the disengage turned u back to human, thats actually really neat, I had a lot of fun with him this time.

Also Xul, I didnt go for full skeleton build, and he seemed much better, I could still push hard if needed, but at least I wasnt so gimped in battle. His non-minion talents are actually quite good, lots of self sustain.

Playing li li with a friend just to burn through the gengi challenge. Just pocket healing him. Then the other team came. Learned how to ping skills lol. I should read a guide to know this stuff

Alavard

I'm still really enjoying Cassia. I was genuinely surprised at how fast I was able to delete a lone Li-Ming during late game with a blind/fend build.

So I'm seeing Li Li at the near top of the winrates on Hotslogs. I know she got what looked like minor buffs recently, but what happened? Seems crazy that she jumped this much to the top.

scoobs

I'm still really enjoying Cassia. I was genuinely surprised at how fast I was able to delete a lone Li-Ming during late game with a blind/fend build.
She's a late game hero for sure. She feels fairly useless until level 16-20 to me.

Alavard

So I'm seeing Li Li at the near top of the winrates on Hotslogs. I know she got what looked like minor buffs recently, but what happened? Seems crazy that she jumped this much to the top.

A good part of it is the nerfing of shield meta (Tassadar and Zarya) has led to the rise of a double-support meta, and she is a really good second support. Looking at her top winrate duo partners right now: Lucio, Brightwing, Murky, Probius, Anub'Arak, Auriel, Samuro, Rehgar, Butcher, Tyrael. They're all either other supports, super squishy heroes that she can keep alive with her heals and blinds, or heroes that have high winrates of their own (mainly Anub'Arak).

Mark L

I can barely stand the game right now. An AI match on Hanamura should not take 12 minutes. And when you take the time to kindly explain the strategy behind loading your payloads and everyone still fucking ignores you then when it fires once they go "sorry" no you fucking aren't sorry you stubborn twat. Then they STILL ignore forts inbetween our payloads in order to walk the AI's all the way back to the beginning, and when it's there they go ahead and fight in lane but STILL don't push when they've killed everyone. Then we have 2 points and I explain if the last payload were double we could kill boss for win, so between payloads they decide to fight boss instead of knock over wide-open forts... by staggering in one at a time and dying one at a time.

This is just like a warp 2 years back in time to when I was low level. Way too many fucking idiots and nearly intolerable.

You sound like a joy to play with.

brian!

Reading the reddit hanamura discussion and man i had no idea clearing enemy mercs gives no exp now, blowing my mind

Lili usually posts a good winrate for various reasons (usually not because the character is a good character) and she got a pretty substantial buff recently, best in dbl support as mentioned because her healing blows

Rhaknar

Greymane is amazing holy shit...

...another assassin, I dont even know who I am anymore :(

Kioshen

Reading the reddit hanamura discussion and man i had no idea clearing enemy mercs gives no exp now, blowing my mind

Hanamura rewards XP on capture not clearing which is backward to all other maps. Do you mean if I try to capture a red side camp you get no XP?

brian!

Hanamura rewards XP on capture not clearing which is backward to all other maps. Do you mean if I try to capture a red side camp you get no XP?

Nah i mean like on regular maps i always thought the exp from capturing a camp and then the enemy clearing it out evened out but according to reddit clearing an activated camp gives no exp

Hanamura mercs apparently gives great exp and there seems to be no reason not to take them on cd

Maledict

She's one of the strongest heroes solo in lane bullying wise early on - and that was before they massively increased her winds damage. She can't labe clear but very few heroes win a trade with her.

If you take the damage, extra targets and then spellpower talents for blind winds she can heal a team plus output assassin level damage. It's brainless but really, really strong.

Kioshen

Nah i mean like on regular maps i always thought the exp from capturing a camp and then the enemy clearing it out evened out but according to reddit clearing an activated camp gives no exp

Hanamura mercs apparently gives great exp and there seems to be no reason not to take them on cd

Oh ok yeah. Camps in Hanamura gives a big chunk of xp that's true. Bribe heroes are doing especially well because the big heal merc takes only 1 stack but has such a big impact in a TF. The turret one is also easy and the sight camp can be cleared quickly between rotations.

Mupod

I like playing Anub'arak and he's one of my favorite Warcraft characters, hell I made my DK in WoW look like a crypt lord and never changed it. But his HOTS voice being so different from WC3 always bugged me. I was surprised to see it's Darin de Paul, who I liked a lot as Reinhardt and Samuel Hayden. Huh.

It's nice having a game where I just don't give a shit and play characters based on who I like instead of who is the meta or whatever. I can't even do that in Fire Emblem Heroes and fall into my usual minmaxer mindset.

Also Azmodan is one of the lamest characters Blizzard ever made which is why the Azmodunk skin is the greatest possible thing for him. I would not be having fun with this dipshit if this skin wasn't so amazingly, thoroughly stupid. All the small sound effect touches, the redone voice lines, the little foam fingers on his minions. So good.

brian!

Im surprised how quick reddit caught on to ignoring payloads in hanamura being the best thing to do

Bribe seems strong but it also kind of feels like the only real use for it is to steal camps since the mercs on your side are nestled so safely

Stealthers being able to contest carts in stealth is retarded and the range is way too high, just had a hanamura match where valeera and zeratul would just sit around the cart all day contesting ti it made me want to uninstall.

brian!

Yeah if they wanted ppl to do cart stuff they really shouldnt have made it so easy to stop, like maybe they should have a condition of requiring -1 the amount of heroes pushing to stop it

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You sound like a joy to play with.
I keep all negativity out of game, hence venting after. I legitimately try to be kind and explain concepts and the benefits of strategies helpfully, and that is what makes it so frustrating when everyone ignores it to do literally the worst thing they could for each moment in the game.

Maledict

Stealthers being able to contest carts in stealth is retarded and the range is way too high, just had a hanamura match where valeera and zeratul would just sit around the cart all day contesting ti it made me want to uninstall.

Yep absolutely. I watched Trik on a stream and an enemy zeratul contested a cart for ages by really clever placement and just standing still. It's dumb this is possible given that some heroes can't reveal stealthies at all, and most have a fairly hard time.

Top Bottom