• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Ketch

This might be sacrilege but I've never really used quick cast. I remember trying it ages ago and not liking it, and have never tried it since. I feel like I'd still prefer some with it off, but I'm gonna try playing with it on for a week or so. Took Rexxar into try mode with it on quick and it does feel better that way for Misha. Before "1" was the get stuff done Misha button, and D was the "abort! abort!" button mostly.

Try on release.

scoobs

This might be sacrilege but I've never really used quick cast. I remember trying it ages ago and not liking it, and have never tried it since. I feel like I'd still prefer some with it off, but I'm gonna try playing with it on for a week or so. Took Rexxar into try mode with it on quick and it does feel better that way for Misha. Before "1" was the get stuff done Misha button, and D was the "abort! abort!" button mostly.

You need to force yourself to get used to it. Its going to feel weird for a few days, but eventually it will become second nature.

I honestly believe that unless you are an APM god, you are holding your skill ceiling back by not using quickcast. I know chu8 doesn't use it, but he is really the only streamer or pro I can think of that doesn't. Everything is just faster, and landing skill shots is significantly easier.

There are certain abilities i'd recommend NOT using quickcast with. Stuff that you have to precisely line up (Ring of Front on Jaina for example) you should probably not use quick cast.

brian!

I'm curious as to how you guys were microing misha before.... I didn't really notice much of a difference except when mounting up to rotate. But I had remapped misha focus to the F key and used that for pretty much everything.

Are you all using smart cast? On press or on release?

i just pressed all the buttons

You need to force yourself to get used to it. Its going to feel weird for a few days, but eventually it will become second nature.

I honestly believe that unless you are an APM god, you are holding your skill ceiling back by not using quickcast. I know chu8 doesn't use it, but he is really the only streamer or pro I can think of that doesn't. Everything is just faster, and landing skill shots is significantly easier.

There are certain abilities i'd recommend NOT using quickcast with. Stuff that you have to precisely line up (Ring of Front on Jaina for example) you should probably not use quick cast.

quickcast is supposed to be better cuz it minimizes delay (in theory) but I've never made the switch and prob never will
in games like mobas you prob don't really benefit much from the advantage it brings since the micro is low anyway, i can't think of times where quickcast would have saved me vs. not being a dum dum

scoobs

It is definitely quicker, you press 1 button, instead 1 button + a mouse click. Just force yourself. I resisted for the first 6 months or so that I played this game, because I didn't think it was a big deal either, and its so hard to break habits.

I really think it is a big improvement now. My APM is shit, and playing heroes like Sonya and using abilities like Slam was a pain in the ass, or Tracers blink was also really annoying to use.

You're good as is though brian!, but i'd say for the average Joe, quickcast will improve reaction times and improve skill shot accuracy.

Alur

Actually from what I've seen several streamers use the base instead of quick cast. chu8 is definitely the most prominent I can remember, though, like you said. Can't remember on Fan and Mac.

scoobs

i believe you
i just dont have the will...
will be forever known as slowcast brian

break free from the chains that are holding you back

So here's a question... why pick Zeratul over Valeera? I feel like she does his job better. I guess Void Prison is still the GOAT ultimate for setting up wombos... but she does everything else better.

brian!

i think every valeera post ive had says that i havent played her and have only played with/against her using something that directly counters her so feel free to disregard.

on paper i feel like zeratul can do things like set up, wave clear, poke, and escape in ways that valeera cant but i might just be ignorant of those things w/r/t her, like to me valeera's big strength is her long cc

blink is actually one of those skills that id say benefits tremendously from quickcast, esp. if you are getting cc'd down
if the vorpal blade change im reading about is intentional then he got nerfed pretty hard though

scoobs

They nerfed vorpal blade? News to me... but probably warranted.

nvm, Blizz already commented on it and said its a bug.

Alur

Dunno. She's definitely easier to survive with, no doubt, at least in my experience. I ended up going 6-4 with her today. 4-0 on my alt and 2-4 on my main.

5 or 6 of those we had no Tassadar versus them having a Tassadar, which made things a bit rough. Heroes like KT (bomb spreading), Abathur (mines), and really anyone with an AOE make it more difficult for you to get any kind of good opener reliably.

Man, there was some massive feeding from other Valeera's. I averaged 2.1 deaths and my opponents averaged 5.9 deaths per game. We faced two who died 10 times, two who died 8 times, and two who died 7 times. Actually, we only had 3 games where the enemy Valeera died 5 times or less.

The silence build is pretty good. I feel like her level 7 talents suck, but maybe I'm missing something. I can't tell if I like the regen globe talent at 1 or Subtlety. If I had one complaint it would be that her heroics are pretty god damn lackluster.

scoobs

Am I understanding Cloak of Shadows right... her ultimate is a self cleanse on an 18 second cooldown?

How.... boring, and not very impactful. Smoke bomb all day every day.

Alur

TBH they both feel very boring and not impactful.

Smoke Bomb sounds awesome on paper, and if you get to use it properly, it is awesome...

...the problem is most team fights are a battle of constant tug and pull with one team often chasing the other. So unless you just run into a team that wants to stack up or stand in one spot, usually all it does is make you disappear for a few seconds while everyone else keeps fighting outside of it. Considering your job is to do damage, that's not very good so it just leaves you wondering if you should've taken Cloak because it's only useful as an aggro drop instead of as an actual bait and switch.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
With the rooster race rather than non-participation I have far more often seen people wasting items by bringing the rooster stuff it doesn't want (I'd guess because the prior event games required no discernment). This wastes time because then you have to run off and get the newly appeared one when it does want that item. It's frustrating to see your whole team so busily participating but not paying attention. It'd be a better design if it just didn't take the wrong item from people so if everyone grabbed a different item then all stood in the circle it auto-finishes.

Valeera isn't a teamfight hero, so at 7 I've been picking Assassinate to help pick off lone targets, which aren't always present depending on the enemy team.

Cheap Shot is more impactful on a support or backline damage dealer than trying to drop Smoke Bomb in the middle of a giant melee scrum where there's a shitton of cc and AoE damage being thrown around. Cloak of Shadows is probably more valuable in teamfights than Smoke Bomb because it allows her to get more safely get in and out of a fight. Even if it isn't as sexy as Smoke bomb, it seems more practical versus more coordinated teams.

I kinda wished I waited until Valeera was free to play like I did Varian and Zul'jin. Kinda feel like I wasted 15k gold on a hero I don't particularly enjoy and my year long boost from last year just expired. Valeera has got so little utility outside of teamfights, worse waveclear than Chromie, she's basically a melee version of Nova.

I did finally buy Zul'jin (with gold) tho, he's a hell of a lot of fun.

Celegus

Yeah gonna try it out and see how it goes. Do you use regular quick cast or on release?

Kioshen

Apparently, you can do the rooster quest alone with tracer + AIs. You can farm them since the AIs count as not completed the quest for the day. Of course, if you get the event you have to complete the game but still. I like the golden rooster better but blizzard made the event way harder than it needed to be.

scoobs

Ya I think they're gonna change it, they've hinted at changes on Reddit already.

I got the GOAT golden cock already so I really don't care.

Alavard

Apparently, you can do the rooster quest alone with tracer + AIs. You can farm them since the AIs count as not completed the quest for the day. Of course, if you get the event you have to complete the game but still. I like the golden rooster better but blizzard made the event way harder than it needed to be.

The other tip I've heard for solo AI is to use TLV.

I'm not going to waste my time until they make the event significantly easier though. I'm usually pretty big on completing every event, but I just don't feel like going to those lengths this time.

Ketch

Regular, idk how people can use on release

I use on release for a lot of abilities. Long range things that require a lot of aim like stitches hook or tyrande stuff, I feel like it helps a lot hitting targets who are moving perpendicular to me because it makes it easier to visualize the projectile travel time when I have the outline. But there's a lot of things Where it doesn't matter like stitches slam or chens fire breath.

I'm so happy they let you decide it independtly. This is the only moba that makes it so easy to do that.

I haven't gotten the rooster race event yet, but when I do I full on plan to just ride around in circles on my golden cock doing nothing.

scoobs

I use on release for a lot of abilities. Long range things that require a lot of aim like stitches hook or tyrande stuff, I feel like it helps a lot hitting targets who are moving perpendicular to me because it makes it easier to visualize the projectile travel time when I have the outline. But there's a lot of things Where it doesn't matter like stitches slam or chens fire breath.

I'm so happy they let you decide it independtly. This is the only moba that makes it so easy to do that.

I haven't gotten the rooster race event yet, but when I do I full on plan to just ride around in circles on my golden cock doing nothing.
Golden cock is available in the store already for 10k gold, no event needed

As someone who has Rexxar at lvl 10, my hot take on the rework:

I really like the talent rework; I can still make Misha a godly tank while sprinkling in some camp-specific talents for solo laning and camp capture.

The new system for Misha feels like they streamlined the buttons while sacrificing minute control. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. A lot of muscle memory that I have to shake off.

Also I rarely die in my Rexxar games, so Animal Husbandry feels like a cheating talent.

Milly79

@ketch

W/r/t quick cast ease, doesn't dota2 make it stupid hard to even enable it

Also looks like heroes of the dorm won't be on espn, but Facebook this year

Ketch

@ketch

W/r/t quick cast ease, doesn't dota2 make it stupid hard to even enable it

Also looks like heroes of the dorm won't be on espn, but Facebook this year

They've fixed it a long with a lot of things. It used to be like a console command just to get the skill shot indicator even.

Prelude.

All you gotta do is right click on the coin and drop it off at the golden rooster with the giant circle around it :/
It takes time for some people to notice the rooster, or they just stand around after dropping the first item.
RNG is the worst offender, though. It's pretty ridiculous. I played 10 matches and I'm at 3/25.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you don't have Tracer, Li-Ming is also a good pick to do it solo if you select the teleport talent. You can't farm with AI teammates, tho. I guess they fixed that.

kirblar

They should be moving to new patches 2 weeks after live. Presumably they'll get the mini-balance patch changes immediately.

Alur

Wow at the QQ about Heroes of the Dorm being on Facebook live. People will literally bitch about anything and everything. The first year it was ESPN being on cable. The second it was because it wasn't all free to view and they had sign up for Sling.tv if they didn't have cable. Now Facebook because Facebook is so "lesser" and/or it's evil. Amazing.

Alur

Virtually no one who is going to post on reddit or here likes Facebook, obviously, but honestly for this it's fine. It's accessible to everyone since it's not on cable, the quality is good enough to where 95% of people aren't going to give a shit, and Blizzard gets financial backing in funding a great tournament.

The complaint isn't so much about ESPN or Facebook live so much as it's about things not being on Twitch. Everyone gets pissed at Blizzard for using these other services but it's not Blizzard's fault Twitch isn't willing to pay for exclusivity. Twitch figures that by being the big fish they can just get all this shit for free or with select partnerships and for the most part they are right. Blizzard wants a bigger audience and a more profitable partnership, so they search elsewhere.

Ketch

The legit complaint was that you needed a cable subscription (which is a huge fuckin ripoff) to begin with in order to watch it before.

Top Bottom