• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Milly79

I wish Bakery and Dunk would leave THH and make their own podcast. I sometimes feel Dunk gets annoyed with Jake, but that's just from listening to the podcast.

Speaking of the podcast, HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO UPLOAD IT, JAKE?! Oh wait, we've been bitching about this forever now.

He can upload it to YouTube after it's done, but fuck the podcast! The dude literally doesn't care. I tweet him, zero response and he continues tweeting about other shit.

Seriously hope it tanks one day.

scoobs

I wish Bakery and Dunk would leave THH and make their own podcast. I sometimes feel Dunk gets annoyed with Jake, but that's just from listening to the podcast.

Speaking of the podcast, HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO UPLOAD IT, JAKE?! Oh wait, we've been bitching about this forever now.

He can upload it to YouTube after it's done, but fuck the podcast! The dude literally doesn't care. I tweet him, zero response and he continues tweeting about other shit.

Seriously hope it tanks one day.
Pretty sure it's already tanked. It used to be the most popular hots pod, not even close now

global ult
https://clips.twitch.tv/RamshackleFuriousCheddarArgieB8
i always do the bowling stand still and stare at the ball and will it in the right direction thing when i ult

im getting destroyed by all the tracers and genjis tho

People are not used to getting randomly sniped by global ults lol. But it's also real nice when you get a pretty much guaranteed hit, esp. post 20 with the reset. Some fights I'm hitting that thing like 4-5 times.

PSqueak

Banned
Started playing this game lately, mostly quick play, im not sure i still get what the game's meta is yet (it's not as clear as other mobas like LoL), but im having fun.

Tho i do want to ask, is it normal that matches are 9 out of 10 times Cursed Hollow?
Is that intentional or am i just unlucky?

The main thing that appealed to me about HotS was the map variety but, man, Why so much Cursed Hollow?

Started playing this game lately, mostly quick play, im not sure i still get what the game's meta is yet (it's not as clear as other mobas like LoL), but im having fun.

Tho i do want to ask, is it normal that matches are 9 out of 10 times Cursed Hollow?

The main thing that appealed to me about HotS was the map variety but, man, Why so much Cursed Hollow?
New players are put onto Cursed Hollow for a predetermined number of times intentionally. Helps you get accustomed to the game w/o being put on new maps constantly.

The first 5 games for new players are always Cursed Hollow iirc, and it's in the normal map roatation so you have 12.5% chance of getting it in ranked, and 8.33% in any other mode.

So, probably just really unlucky if you're past the first 5 games

brian!

Ok i played like 20 games with kelthuzad and id prob put him tier 1 or 2, just due to how difficult it is to play against counters. I dont know if he should be able to glacial spike bushes or behind your wall for w/o some sort of indicator though, that doesnt feel right. Im not sure if he needs nerfs atm, but ive been playing him every game and not really paying attention to playing against him.

Alur

The first 5 games for new players are always Cursed Hollow iirc, and it's in the normal map roatation so you have 12.5% chance of getting it in ranked, and 8.33% in any other mode.

It's more than the first 5. IIRC it's something like 10-20. You're on it for a good bit.

PSqueak

Banned
New players are put onto Cursed Hollow for a predetermined number of times intentionally. Helps you get accustomed to the game w/o being put on new maps constantly.

It's more than the first 5. IIRC it's something like 10-20. You're on it for a good bit.

Oh, will i see more of the other maps when i get to level 10? seems like it's sort of a milestone level.

Currently i'm level 9.

Alur

Oh, will i see more of the other maps when i get to level 10? seems like it's sort of a milestone level.

Currently i'm level 9.

It's just a set number of games. I can't remember what the number is but it's more than 5 from what I remember and have experienced on smurfs and EU. After that you'll just be in the normal map pool like everyone else.

EDIT: Here we go I found it. It's a bit of both, it appears, so Alpha had it. You're just on a reduced pool for more games once it opens up assuming nothing else has changed since then:

Blizzard said:
New Player Battleground Progression

New Heroes of the Storm players who enter matchmaking modes will initially only be matched for games on certain Battlegrounds. As they complete more games, new players will unlock additional Battlegrounds as follows:
0-5 games played: Players will only receive matches on Cursed Hollow.
5-15 games played: Players receive games on the first four Battlegrounds listed in the reduced pool mentioned above.
15+ games played: Players can now be matched on any of the Battlegrounds listed in the reduced pool mentioned above.

PSqueak, it's worth noting what you experienced and what I've seen are both symptoms of starting MMR. Likely you've still got players in your games who are also in that 5 game pool which is why you're getting it even though your own pool has technically opened up. Odds are it won't be too much longer til you progress out of that.

Prelude.

7-0 on new Jaina, as soon as the skin is 1600 I'll unlock my true potential.
emoji_jaina_dreadlordpgswc.png

Alur

Been seeing your style of games now recently, scoobs. Usually 1 high MMR, 1 mid MMR, and then 3 low MMR players in each game. Sometimes even at 2800-2900 I'm the high MMR. It's pretty strange. Gaps have been as much as 800 MMR at times from highest to lowest now.

Milly79

Been seeing your style of games now recently, scoobs. Usually 1 high MMR, 1 mid MMR, and then 3 low MMR players in each game. Sometimes even at 2800-2900 I'm the high MMR. It's pretty strange. Gaps have been as much as 800 MMR at times from highest to lowest now.

How are you even staying that high? Every resets throws me down and down. I'm near 2600 in QM and it's masters somehow

Alur

This last reset put me at like 2640 or something. Usually before I was at about 2500 after reset. I still don't even understand why he is resetting the MMR for Quick Match or anything that isn't HL as it doesn't occur in game but /shrug. I got up to 2825 or so and potato farmed the last two days. Once it updates I'll probably be back down again. These new non mirror games take the lopsided nature of QM to a whole new level.

Prelude.

Zagara's butt is even creepier than usual, no thanks.

It's unfortunate they didn't make a Dreadlord Jaina announcer, considering they recorded new voice lines for the skin and made Jaina as an announcer. I mean, I didn't try the Jaina announcer on the new skin, but I doubt it switches since it's an independent thing.

brian!

This last reset put me at like 2640 or something. Usually before I was at about 2500 after reset. I still don't even understand why he is resetting the MMR for Quick Match or anything that isn't HL as it doesn't occur in game but /shrug. I got up to 2825 or so and potato farmed the last two days. Once it updates I'll probably be back down again. These new non mirror games take the lopsided nature of QM to a whole new level.

Does it not happen in game? Might be placebo but i feel like my games after are usually extra wacky

Alur

Does it not happen in game? Might be placebo but i feel like my games after are usually extra wacky

I may be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure only HL is reset and he's been resetting everything along with it multiple times now for leaderboard purposes I presume. There was a reddit thread a guy made recently complaining about how QM MMR was reset...and then in the thread multiple people said it wasn't, so /shrug.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
seems 3 heroes per week on sale is the norm now:

Upcoming Hero Sales
Valeera — Sale Price: 375 Gems
Tychus — Sale Price: 250 Gems
Xul — Sale Price: 375 Gems

The following Skins and Mounts will enter the Featured Item Rotation, and will be unlockable using Gems until next week's Collection Update:

Upcoming Featured Skins
Demon Hunter Valeera
Vespene Queen of Ghosts Kerrigan
Bone Necromaster Xul
Highlord Alarak
Marshal Raynor
Iron Spellbreaker Johanna
Cursed Hunter Greymane
Toxic Emberlord Zul’jin
Bluefish Landwalker Murky

Upcoming Featured Mounts
Frozen Crimson Hare
Saddled Battle Beast
Hellboar

Valeera for me, which will leave only Gul'Dan left (and Kel Thusad but im waiting for 10k)

Maledict

I actually want them to bite the bullet and replace Quick Match. I just had a game wwhere my team was:

Li-Ming + Nazeebo + Kel'Thuzad + Chromie + Rehghar versus

Genji + Lunara + Greymane + Raynor + Kharazim

It was one of the most wildly unfun, unbalanced matches I've had in a long time and what on *earth* is up with their match maker that it thinks THAT is an acceptable combo.

This game needs a better quick game mode. Every other MOBA out there does it, HotS needs to. I've lost more friends playing this game from them having utterly unpleasant and unfun quick match games than everything else combined.

(They could also scrap the shitty brawls, implement a permanent ARAM mode that counted towards quests and that would help as well).

Maledict

I'd be down with blind pick replacing QM but not to just cut QM

Yep. Blind Pick, allowing heroes to swap, *anything*. I understand they need a quick game mode, but the fact is MOBAs on my *Ipad* aren't so stupid as to think something like Quick Match could work. It's a legacy from when the game was being designed differently, four years ago, and they need to understand that its costing them players. My playgroup has gone from 7 of us to 2, and a huge amount of that is because if you want a fast game, 75% of the time it feels like you're going to be fed shit.

Alur

The point about mobas on the iPad is a good one.

Both Vainglory and Mobile Legends, two of the most popular mobile mobas (or maybe the most, not sure), both have an entry mode that allows you to form a comp by seeing your teammates' choices and change picks in a 30 second window or so.

I'm not into the meta of either game well enough to know how it affects matchups, but I do know in Vainglory you do at least almost always end up with a person in each of the three roles which is a huge change from HOTS. Would love to see that in our game.

What is wrong with QM? They need to tune the engine to put better teams together, but other than that it's fine for what it is.

If you want to see a real shitshow, look at Overwatch's QP.

Maledict

What is wrong with QM? They need to tune the engine to put better teams together, but other than that it's fine for what it is.

If you want to see a real shitshow, look at Overwatch's QP.

Because it's not possible to make a matchmaker that will form decent teams with the variety of heroes in a MOBA, and after 4 years of working on this it's still in the state where it thinks putting 4 mages on one team and a team of anti-mages on the other is a good combo.

Blind pick, as Alur says, is a good compromise. That way you can at least see what your team mates grab appropriately. It's wheat ever other moba under the sun does because none are dumb enough to think quick match can work.

It's made even worse by the fact that HotS is the most team fight orientated of mobas, and you cannot carry in it. So a bad comp is just bad, unlike say in other mobas where you could buy items differently and do something.

Blind pick wouldn't work. Quick match is meant to be quick. If you have to have a minidraft every game, that significantly slows it down. And then you can't even play the hero you want all the time. It's not a good idea imo. Could easily become a bad meta too.

I think QM is fine, with all it's faults. If they try to improve it in minor ways, great.

Maledict

Blind pick wouldn't work. Quick match is meant to be quick. If you have to have a minidraft every game, that significantly slows it down. And then you can't even play the hero you want all the time. It's not a good idea imo. Could easily become a bad meta too.

I think QM is fine, with all it's faults. If they try to improve it in minor ways, great.

Blind pick works in literally every other moba. Adding 20 seconds to the start of a quick match really wouldn't hurt things. The idea you can always play the hero you want to play is really really bad in a team based moba. It's just not how the genre works. At least blind pick would give you time to reassess your choice versus your team mates before you lock it in.

No other MOBA has an equivalent of quick match because it's self evidently an unwinnable battle, and HotS is actually *worse* than other MOBAs because it's more team based orientated. HotS is the worse candidate for quick match - if we were playing dota and the mage versus anti mage team occurred like I had today, you can at least build items differently to mitigate it. In HotS the talent system doesn't do the same, you're just fucked from the get go.

Balanced matchmaking, is the game so dead they can't find a team that's not literally more than twice your combined levels AND a 3 man stack?

Also what's with Tyrande being in every game nowadays, seen more of her than KT these days.

Regardless of their player level, their MMR could be similar to yours.
If i make a new account and play 100 games of ranked , I expect I'd be playing the same people I'm playing now on my main account.

Tyrande's owl build is the new hot shit. It's fun to play, and a hassle to play against. It's a bit annoying to me as well, as much as I like her.

Top Bottom