• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Alavard

Also what's with Tyrande being in every game nowadays, seen more of her than KT these days.

Tyrande is in the pool of 'semi supports' along with Abathur, Zarya, Tassadar, and only a very few others, which makes it the smallest 'role' pool in the game. So you'll see her more often if you've got someone else from that pool on your team.

Alavard

So when's that "role" change up going to come that Blizzard said was coming?

Well, since the last we've heard on the issue was when they classified Varian as a tank again in QM, and have been absolutely silent since, I'm really hoping it's one of the Blizzcon announcements.

Dunno how anyone can play tyrande without lunar blaze.

That talent is what makes her fun. Stunning people for half their health.

Regardless of their player level, their MMR could be similar to yours.
If i make a new account and play 100 games of ranked , I expect I'd be playing the same people I'm playing now on my main account.

Tyrande's owl build is the new hot shit. It's fun to play, and a hassle to play against. It's a bit annoying to me as well, as much as I like her.

Maybe, we did beat them pretty easily, it's just not a very motivating thing to see as soon as you start a game.

account level does not equal skill level

I find it very improbably that someone who has 500 levels on a person isn't significantly better unless the lower level individual is an ex Dota savant or something.

scoobs

I find it very improbably that someone who has 500 levels on a person isn't significantly better unless the lower level individual is an ex Dota savant or something.
Mechanical skill is something that comes much easier for some than others, shouldn't be surprising at all.

Alur

Sure, they may have more knowledge. But just because they played a lot doesn't mean they actually improved. I've literally been in the same spot in Diamond for years now, for example. I'm not hardcore enough to parse through replays and so forth to get better and I'm happy where I am.

This game has a high level of variance, as well, which accounts for a lot of the shit/lopsided games we see. Dunktrain touched on this in the last Into the Nexus podcast.

Players don't appreciate the variance in their own play or the play of others from one game to the next. Furthermore, they vastly underestimate the variance from a player who is Diamond playing the 5-8 heroes they are amazing at down to the next 5-8 heroes they play occasionally. In every game there's a myriad of factors from the map to the heroes to the comp that impact how things turn out. Like Dunk says, some are good on certain maps and not others, certain heroes and not others, and in certain roles and not others. This dramatically affects how the game plays out.

Ditto with player levels. The game thinks that you are all in a similar ballpark of MMR overall but that can wildly differ depending on what you are actually playing from one game to the next. The only person in that picture I'd be concerned about is the level 18 -- it's quite easy to ride a run to higher MMR at a low account level before you tail off. I'd say anything sub 50 is cause to be very nervous and expect a wide amount of variance, and for me personally anything sub 200 makes me nervous anyway as I rarely see those people in my games so when I do I know something probably went pear shaped.

scoobs

My WR with him is pretty bad too, but I attribute part of that due to him not being very QM friendly.
No man he crushes QM. He's low key super tanky and people constantly try and fail to kill me as Thrall. His damage scales ridiculously with the wind fury talents too so he just becomes a monster late game

Mupod

huh, I've apparently played this game enough that I was able to just turn on global quick cast and never look back. I'd started to turn it on ability-by-ability on heroes I was accustomed to using but after playing Kel'Thuzad with all quick cast for a while it was hard to do otherwise.

Prelude.

Hmmm

654nesuu.jpg

Green Jaina is a bit meh, but it's hard to spend 1600 on the default one now, though.

Man I do not like new leoric at all.

Old leoric was my favorite hero, such a shame.
I haven't had a single good game with him yet, I still don't know if he's good. It's making me not want to play him at all, every time it's such a shitshow.

Keep calm and Tyrande

Heroes_of_the_Storm_09.11.2017_-_16.36.28.02.png

I haven't had a single good game with him yet, I still don't know if he's good. It's making me not want to play him at all, every time it's such a shitshow.

I've experienced the same... In theory he is a monster. I've seen a couple matches where he's gone off. But I haven't had much success. He was a 65%+ win rate for me before. I think i've won like once so far with New leo

Prelude.

Lost my first game with Jaina. I'd feel bad if it wasn't Jaina, Malth, Nova, Xul, Aba vs Li-Ming, Valeera, Sonya, Tyrande, KT on BoE. I mean, what do you do?

Prelude.

When you unlock iceblock while you're stuck with a Tracer bomb. EZ
32s7ss3.png

I tried some Zul'jin today. For some reason I didn't like him when he came out, but he's fun now? Maybe his low health mechanic is less fun vs real people, but I enjoyed playing him even in vs ai and that's surprising. I never liked Taz'dingo, so the buff to Guillotine makes it pretty good now.

Blind pick wouldn't work. Quick match is meant to be quick. If you have to have a minidraft every game, that significantly slows it down. And then you can't even play the hero you want all the time. It's not a good idea imo. Could easily become a bad meta too.

I think QM is fine, with all it's faults. If they try to improve it in minor ways, great.

Quick Match sort of worked when the roster of heroes was smaller and the roles/classifications were more rigidly defined in the Alpha. The more heroes they add and the more the roles/classifications are blurred, the worse Quick Match matchmaking has gotten. Sometimes you can lose a match based off of the team comp the match making provides, unless your opponents are completely awful.

All Pick in Dota is Unranked Draft and basically the equivalent of Quick Match in terms of the mode's popularity. It has a one minute draft period, no bans, and honestly doesn't stop people from making horrible choices, i.e. picking however they want. It gets shrugged off the same way in Dota that is does in HotS "It's All-Pick/Quick Match". You'd be adding one minute on to an average match of twenty minutes. The games would still be quick relative to other MOBAs.

Well I can say one thing at least. Paladin has a blind pick system for their casual matchmaking. And I wish it was quick play every time I play the game because competitive queue (where they have a real draft) takes too long to match make for me. I definitely don't like blind pick.

Prelude.

I think it's fine as it is, they just need to make it more character-centric instead of using non specified roles. So, for example, against a Malthael the other team isn't composed of 5 squishies, but it has at least a tank; a full melee team doesn't go against a full ranged team; more than one stealthy prioritizes someone with a reveal on the other team, and so on.
If they implemented blind pick people would feel compelled to get a real comp or at least a healer, like in OW, and playing with no healers on both sides is something that I like from time to time.
Losing the ability to pick whoever you want would make QM a lot less enjoyable since people would just fight with each other over who they picked instead of blaming Blizzard's mm and moving on immediately.

Alur

If you bought bits for HGC we passed another milestone and another mount has been unlocked. Gotta go to the events tab for HGC in Twitch to claim it: https://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroes/esports/hgc-2017

New Chromie seems at least AS balanced and well designed as ever.

You just gotta not suck at dodging her spells and it's easy to suck. Kappa

Really, though, that comment about Thrall is the most hand wavy ever. If you play well and don't suck at any hero they can be good no? Doesn't change the fact that he's still sitting as the 50th hero winrate wise in QM out of 70 heroes.

Alur

I feel the same. Unfortunately it's success doesn't give me much hope for us getting in shop items. I'd be thrilled if each team could get a team hexagon mount or whatever.

scoobs

It's cool to see heroes has a dedicated esports viewer base, all be it a rather small one when compared to competing games in the genre. Makes me feel a bit better about the state of the game.

Alur

It's cool to see heroes has a dedicated esports viewer base, all be it a rather small one when compared to competing games in the genre. Makes me feel a bit better about the state of the game.

I agree. It is small and (appears to be) shrinking from the first phase of HGC...but it appears what there is happens to be very committed and willing to put their money where their mouths are so to speak. Whatever it takes to keep Blizzard investing in and improving HGC...cause I'd hate to see what would happen to this game's playerbase knowledge wise without what pro scene we have.

What a convoluted way of milking money out of a community. Seeing the bits leaderboard was even more of a shock. Some people have too much disposable income.

It does chafe a bit. Not what any of us would have wanted, for sure, but probably not much more expensive for just the team related swag overall than what it would've been with gems anyway.

In general inflation has been a bitch on items in the shop post 2.0.

Played a TL game last night with friends on Cursed Hollow. I drafted Abathur, my buddy was Illidan. Like the good ol' days, we demolished the enemy. Felt great :)

I tried the new Leoric. Siiiick. Love these changes, and he no longer feels like a snooze to play.

Now go back and make Chen, Johanna, and Tyrael fun to play.

Top Bottom