• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Mupod

I had to buy some gems to refresh my stimpack so I just said screw it and got KT before I even tried him or read his abilities, lol. He was one of my favorite WC3 characters after all.

My first match with him was depressing but after sitting in try mode, changing all his abilities to instant cast and practicing his moves I had a lot of fun. Pillar->chain->frost nova+ult->chain combo feels great to pull off and basically gibs people if I land a Death and Decay in there somewhere too. I didn't have issues with survivability except against Genji but we won that match anyways so fuck you, Genji.

But yeah that queue, holy shit. I eventually went on to play Cassia instead. Did they buff Cassia in the last couple months or am I just way better at this game now?

Alur

She did get some buffs after she came out (and a Charged Strikes nerf), but I don't think it was anything major. Probably have improved. She's sitting at 48% winrate total right now.

I had to buy some gems to refresh my stimpack so I just said screw it and got KT before I even tried him or read his abilities, lol. He was one of my favorite WC3 characters after all.

My first match with him was depressing but after sitting in try mode, changing all his abilities to instant cast and practicing his moves I had a lot of fun. Pillar->chain->frost nova+ult->chain combo feels great to pull off and basically gibs people if I land a Death and Decay in there somewhere too. I didn't have issues with survivability except against Genji but we won that match anyways so fuck you, Genji.

But yeah that queue, holy shit. I eventually went on to play Cassia instead. Did they buff Cassia in the last couple months or am I just way better at this game now?

no changes to cassia iirc. Glad you're having fun with KTZ, i still haven't bought him yet, he seems hella high-skill cap

5 like usual.

ic.

So what's the build for KT? I feel Death and Decay with Simalcrum is really good.

no changes to cassia iirc. Glad you're having fun with KTZ, i still haven't bought him yet, he seems hella high-skill cap

Yeah he's ridiculous. If you can time his shit down he's a terror, but he's reaaaallly hard to micro his skills. He's alotta fun, surprisingly enough. I didn't think I'd have fun playing the meta game of chaining people but here I am. But it's also anxiety inducing for me having to press so many buttons lol.

brian!

ic.

So what's the build for KT? I feel Death and Decay with Simalcrum is really good.

Yeah he's ridiculous. If you can time his shit down he's a terror, but he's reaaaallly hard to micro his skills. He's alotta fun, surprisingly enough. I didn't think I'd have fun playing the meta game of chaining people but here I am. But it's also anxiety inducing for me having to press so many buttons lol.

The "normal" build afaik is
1. Chain
4. Phylactery
7. Glacial spike
10. 15 cd nuke
13. Chain slow (id prob get stun on 2 lane maps)
16. Im not sure i think it's w right now
20. Situational

I think the q build is fine too, it does so much damage with the lvl 20 spirit thibg

scoobs

Anyone else think it's absurd that Phylactery also heals you? Like, who isn't taking this talent 100% of the time? How do the other two talents even compete there?

Alur

I dunno, Heroes Hearth suggested the armor talent and I've seen Dunk taking it too. Just depends on the dive. It does seem very strong, but it's also very hard to stack post 16 unless you're either losing hard or winning hard anyway...it's kind of a one use thing. Personally I took to saving it for a later game rez if I didn't think I could stack it again to extend the value.

kirblar

Anyone else think it's absurd that Phylactery also heals you? Like, who isn't taking this talent 100% of the time? How do the other two talents even compete there?
In coordinated play Frost Armor will often be better. In HL Phylactery is clearly better more often because you can't count on healz.

Dahbomb

ic.

Best build is what Brian! listed but it's a very high difficulty build to play (you need to combo chains with the Glacial Spike).

The Q build is very easy to play and do well with. You can still practice your chain combos with this build but even if you miss it's whatever, you can zone out teams with the Q. It also does well on Battlefield of Eternity or boss killing maps because the target just sits there and takes the full Q damage.

Basoes

Bought Sonya's abyssal deathbringer, my god it's so beautiful, just seeing it made me go buy Sonya with cash then get the costume

The "normal" build afaik is
1. Chain
4. Phylactery
7. Glacial spike
10. 15 cd nuke
13. Chain slow (id prob get stun on 2 lane maps)
16. Im not sure i think it's w right now
20. Situational

I think the q build is fine too, it does so much damage with the lvl 20 spirit thibg

Best build is what Brian! listed but it's a very high difficulty build to play (you need to combo chains with the Glacial Spike).

The Q build is very easy to play and do well with. You can still practice your chain combos with this build but even if you miss it's whatever, you can zone out teams with the Q. It also does well on Battlefield of Eternity or boss killing maps because the target just sits there and takes the full Q damage.

I see, thanks.

~~~

Promotionals are hard. Either my team sucks or we somehow get a win. I've been doing bad too soo

Prelude.

Just won a game as Jaina against Valeera, Zeratul, Valla, Chromie, Nazeebo. Shit was stressful. Thank god I had a team that mostly understood the danger and stuck together.
Also, our Nova was really good, that's not something you see every day.

scoobs

Just won a game as Jaina against Valeera, Zeratul, Valla, Chromie, Nazeebo. Shit was stressful. Thank god I had a team that mostly understood the danger and stuck together.
Also, our Nova was really good, that's not something you see every day.
Idk, I feel like about half of the Novas I see are incredible (the other half total dumpster fires)

Milly79

Against all fucking odds, lol.

pt1owWZnSOKFpIJb6z5gvg.png

Prelude.

It's one of the codes Blizzard gives to streamers when a new hero releases to do giveaways. Like right now Selenityy is on doing the same.
I got it on StormLegacy earlier, he never has a lot of viewers so it's probably a good idea to try on his stream when he does it.

KuroNeeko

Got some gems(?) from the level five reward and looking to pick up my first hero.

I think I want to go Support / Specialized / Assassin and was thinking about the following heroes:

Auriel
Sylvanas
Gul' Dan

and maybe Zagara, Li Li, or Chromie.

How beginner-friendly are they? Will they require long waiting times? Looking at that list are there any other heroes you would recommend?

It's one of the codes Blizzard gives to streamers when a new hero releases to do giveaways. Like right now Selenityy is on doing the same.
I got it on StormLegacy earlier, he never has a lot of viewers so it's probably a good idea to try on his stream when he does it.

I gotta be all over this. I have luck when it comes to the cheap DLC giveaways. Already got kelthuzad though.

Got some gems(?) from the level five reward and looking to pick up my first hero.

I think I want to go Support / Specialized / Assassin and was thinking about the following heroes:

Auriel
Sylvanas
Gul' Dan

and maybe Zulgana, Li Li, or Chromie.

How beginner-friendly are they? Will they require long waiting times? Looking at that list are there any other heroes you would recommend?
I recommend playing them in Try mode for at least 20 minutes and then watching a little competitive play. My first gem purchase was on Gul'dan, and I've regretted it ever since. I don't find him fun to play at all.

scoobs

Auriel
Sylvanas
Gul' Dan

and maybe Zulgana, Li Li, or Chromie.

If by Zulgana you mean Zagara, she's a really great hero to start with. Very powerful map control/push and decent team fighter. I wouldn't recommend guldan, he's not very exciting to play in my opinion, although strong. Look into Ragnaros and Nazeebo too.

KuroNeeko

If by Zulgana you mean Zagara, she's a really great hero to start with. Very powerful map control/push and decent team fighter. I wouldn't recommend guldan, he's not very exciting to play in my opinion, although strong. Look into Ragnaros and Nazeebo too.

Uh, yeah. Sorry! Zagara! ^^

I have Zeebo and he's pretty fun! His frog build just farms mobs all day and the zombie build is fun, though hard to land.

I tried Rag a bit in Try mode and he seemed fun too.

Is gold fairly easy to come by? I've only been playing vs. AI mode for a week and I'm at 2000 right now.

Alur

Not particularly. It dries up as you level up, really. It's quicker early on. Def wanna make sure you get all the free heroes to 5 for the 500g if you can and to see which you like.

scoobs

I have Zeebo and he's pretty fun! His frog build just farms mobs all day and the zombie build is fun, though hard to land.

Is gold fairly easy to come by? I've only been playing vs. AI mode for a week and I'm at 2000 right now.
Gold is the most valuable form of currency, as such it's pretty hard to come by, particularly in AI games where they dish out less gold for playing. You'll get 50-75 gold per game if you win versus real people, and 500 gold for reaching certain level milestones per hero.

You'll also get quests that give gold such as "Play 3 warcraft heroes" "Play 8 games" etc. They range from 100-600 gold on completion

Milly79

Holy fuck... lol.

I played a game of Kerrigan yesterday on Braxxis with the Queen of MEKA skin or whatever its named. God tier skin. I also realized how bad of a spot Kerrigan is in and that Malthael does it so much better (aside from the ganking). I had to play pretty passively and wait for them to make a mistake rather than being able to force my own engagements. I guess that's the line you gotta skirt with her anyway.

But god damn. She really does need some tuning too. Both her ults are petty booty. Mael does next to no damage and she gets little shielding from it. Compared to Tormented Souls which allows you to heal + being able to have a ton of mobility options.

Alur

Got on late last night, decided to do a daily quest (2 games). Got this Kerrigan on my team who was yolo HAM af. We were on BOE and they had way better race (Tyrande, Lunara, etc) and we just couldn't make headway but this Kerrigan gave no fucks about level difference or anything. Died 13 times.

Very next game I face the Kerrigan and he's on Nova. The first 7 levels dude was like a different person. He was 5/3/1 when level 8 rolled around and was just dropping deuces on us like crazy. I was like, "Damn, maybe it was just us who was bad." Nah. Nova finished the game with only 7 killing blows total and 9 deaths and they didn't even make it to 20 IIRC. Once we got 10 we just steamrolled them. It felt great.

Alur

1, 7, and 16 I guess, yeah. EDIT: and yes that W talent at 16 is very strong if you are comboing AND can get the Q through with the combo...it really ramps.

The issue I found/find with Q build is that it can do a lot of damage, but the fact that the Q explodes on the first target hit means you can't really get the damage on the target you want a lot of the time so it's sort of empty calorie damage in a lot of scenarios. Dunk was talking briefly about the targeting issues with it on ITN this week too. Often to get the target you want you have to put yourself out of position, which is a very dangerous thing with KT.

Pre-release the implication from the various HOTS podcasts/personalities seemed to be that the Q build would be the "for dummies" version so everyone could play the hero, but it doesn't seem impactful enough to me playing with it or against it. If you can't combo it up it's not really gonna matter what you do at the end of the day. Q will give damage, but the kills stem from the combo.

brian!

q is unreliable but it's strong, every q talent works with the lvl 20 so the cdr really ramps. can be good at sedentary objectives with no minions around, and is really improved with cc on your team

Hardest thing about going q is giving up glacial spike

Alur

I giggle a bit at the "Hard" classification for Genji and Kel'Thuzad. One hero seems to be usable by most everyone even still, and definitely was in previous iterations...the other is actually hard.

brian!

yeah one is all about fucking with ppl and getting away and the other is all about please dont fuck with me go away

im starting to lean towards lvl 1 w talent for lich instead of e, i like the dmg increase for waveclear plus there's mini-synergy with the w talent at 16

You probably still get W talent at 16. You get a lot more damage that way. The Q CDR is nice but you are spamming Q every 2 seconds by that point in the game anyway.

The CDR is definitely worth it imo. Off the top of my head the regular cooldown is 6 seconds. Then 4 seconds after 15 blight, and around 2 seconds once you get the CDR. The one time I went full Q build I didn't get to try the shade out, but even that seems worth it. If it doesn't die it will have 100% up time, although you can't move it either.

Alur

But even still, you're hitting the same problem. The Q can't go beyond the front line, whoever that happens to be. That's what makes it unreliable damage.

brian!

def need the cdr for that build, point of it is to constantly create those zones, skip if you cant hit heroes with it i guess

Top Bottom