• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Alur

Looks like the napkin math folks are out and us longtime/hardcore players are getting hosed with the amount of boxes being rewarded versus what we could earn if we hadn't already burned through those levels. Here's the thread.

The post:

With 2.0, character levels grant crates, 1 per level, and at a lower curve 9+. Cool. Characters will retroactively gain levels equal to xp earned good, but you can only earn a max of 70 crates from this....

Why 70?

I have almost all of the 50+ characters over level 6 right now, most 8-10. Adjusting for the new curve that might be anywhere from 400-500 levels, yet I get 70 crates, oh and the easy 1-5 levels on all my characters are done.

Meanwhile someone who has played say 2-3 mains to 20 or nearly that far also gets 70 crates. But has 45+ characters they can play one or two matches on & get another 4 levels, boom 45 games, 100+ crates.

The crate cap punishes people for playing a diverse roster. It would feel cruddy to get nothing for all the past progression, but putting a cap on things means Blizzard acknowledges that our time is worth something, while capping the max reward means some of the time is worth more or they just don't want people to have too much.

Why 70 Blizz? You lock me out of earning the easy crates on all my characters then give me 1.5 crates per character. Might as well just start a new account.

This is what I referred to earlier when I said it wasn't worth playing on live til this comes out unless you just REALLY want to play. If you have already pushed each hero past level 5/6 you're not gaining anything really. If you have heroes below that, you want to save them til after because you're probably already capped on the amount of crates you'll receive as is.

Maledict

Yeah, I'm light years beyond that cap then. Are we sure it's a box per level though? Also some levels grant epic boxes, how will that work?

Alur

Yeah, it's a common box per hero level so far as I understand it. At the very least it is for levels 1-5. So we are just fucked on those. Also will be fucked on numerous rare/epic boxes it seems.

I am hero level 624, so adjusting for the new curve I will be hero level like 1000+ or something. That part is gonna feel bad. That's a lot of stuff we will miss out on.

Alur

LOOT CHEST TYPE REWARD FREQUENCY

Common Every Player Level that does not award a Rare or Epic Loot Chest

Rare Every 5 Player Levels

Epic Every 25 Player Levels

Hero-Specific Every 10 Player Levels

Just going off that (and leaving out hero specific) I should get something like 24 epic, 100 rare, 500 common chests due to being account level 624. If you adjust for the inflation of the new hero progression, my account level will probably be nearly twice that however and now I'm missing out on even more.

Instead I'm getting 70 chests. RIP.

EDIT: Folks are saying that you will receive epic and rare chests in your 70 at a rate based on your actual max level instead of just at the rate it would be in the first 70 levels you leveled up. That's somewhat better, but still sucks. Now I'm salty I played Probius solo and leveled him to 7 already. Could've been more free boxes.

scoobs

How am I supposed to convince myself to go to the gym with all of this happening today? Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Anyone mildly concerned about the banner things? Visual clutter could become a huge issue

Vimes

The important question is if Death Knight Arthas is coming back.

This sounds like a bunch of annoying shit that will ultimately make me sick of the game.

Alavard

How am I supposed to convince myself to go to the gym with all of this happening today? Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Anyone mildly concerned about the banner things? Visual clutter could become a huge issue

The sprays could be visually distracting, but the banners only go down in specific circumstances, like a merc camp capture, or an objective, and even then, it's always just a single banner.

kirblar

Let us know how many boxes you get!

ETC got rekt btw. (he deserves it tho)
Warrior
E.T.C.

Stats

Health reduced from 2428 to 2100
Health Regeneration reduced from 5.06 to 4.37

Abilities

Rockstar (Trait)
Redesigned:
​Instead of increasing nearby allies' Basic Attack speeds, Rockstar now grants E.T.C. 20 Armor for 2 seconds when he uses a Basic or Heroic Ability. This effect does not stack with itself.

Talents

Level 1
Guitar Hero (E)
Healing gained from Basic Attacks increased from 35% to 40%.
No longer increases Attack Speed.
Level 7
Echo Pedal (Passive)
Damage reduced from 29 to 15.
Damage bonus against Minions and Mercenaries increased from 75% to 250%.
Level 16
Show Stopper (Q)
Armor reduced from 25 to 15.

Developer Comment: These changes to E.T.C. are a continuation of our attempt to align Warriors with a ”big picture" role, so that we can continue to see a variety of them regardless of who's really strong at the moment. Alongside a lot of specialization, we need a couple generalist Warriors, and we think E.T.C. (as well as Muradin) should fill that role. They should always be a safe pick for your team because they fit into every team composition or battleground, but may be outperformed by the specialized Warriors in their ideal situations. We found that having Attack Speed on his Trait pointed him toward Basic Attack teams and maps like Battlefield of Eternity, where sustained damage was important. Instead, we've decided to add general Armor, but wanted to make sure that it still had that fun ”bard" style gameplay where playing optimally includes spreading out abilities. We've updated Show Stopper to provide less Armor, because stacking Armor makes every point more and more valuable. Lastly, we've reduced Echo Pedal's damage against non-Minions and Mercenaries so that it's the obvious pick when you need wave clear, but Hammer-On and Pinball Wizard are better during a team fight.

Kioshen

Well any and all progress you will do during the beta will not migrate over to your main account so there's that to help.

I'm not concerned about the banners and honestly welcome the sprays replacing bstepping as a bm but that's probably the FPS guy talking in me.

Alur

on PTR I'm account level 70 and got 14 boxes (12 common 2 rare).

so far I've gotten a Kharazim skin, Brightwing and Lt. Morales heroes, and the other kind of junk through 4 chests. I rerolled 4 times before the Kharazim skin, but before that I got Dream Genie Chromie and trashed it.

EDIT: Ranger General Sylv, Deputy Valla, and Raynor hero too.

Kioshen

so far I've gotten a Kharazim skin, Brightwing and Lt. Morales heroes, and the other kind of junk through 4 chests. I rerolled 4 times before the Kharazim skin, but before that I got Dream Genie Chromie and trashed it.

YOU MONSTER D:
i kid, i kid

@kirblar

Holy cow E.T.C. got rekt :/.

Alur

For anyone curious, the rest of what I got from my boxes:

3 day stimpack, Butcher beast mount, Prisoner Tychus skin, Thunder Star chariot mount, Queen of Ghosts Kerrigan legendary skin (from a common chest), High Priestess Tyrande skin, Diablo master skin, Rehgar master skin, ETC hero x2, Morales master skin, Butcher master skin, Kerrigan master skin.

Seems like good stuff drops at a decent rate. I duped out and/or looted 1,390 shards as well and countless voice things and emojis.

EDIT: Man those Super Power portraits. TAKE MY SHARDS

Know some of you have wanted this for a long time so here you go...Prime Evil Diablo:

yXIiZMf.jpg

Maledict

Goodness the PTR character copy was a long time ago wasn't it? Half my collection of owned skins is missing on my character here.

EDIT: Some of the new tints are fantastic, although I feel a bit sorry for folks who bought the Cyber Anubarak or Dehaka skins. The new tint for each of those is much better than the existing tins (Neon, with moving lights, and Camoflague with nuke symbols respectively). The new black variant for Ringmaster Greymane is fab as well.

EDIT 2: Actually this makes no sense. It knows I own the Spider Gul'dan skin, which I didn't buy very long ago - but doesn't recognise I own the Fel Chromie skin, which I bought when she was released?

EDIT: GOLD KAEL SKIN PLEASE BE MINE NOW!

kirblar

They must have ported in your PTR profile. That's definitely not enough w/ the port-over formula: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/heroes20/progression/#cashing-in

Alur

Good news for those who dig master skins. Each tint only costs 100 shards. You can get Bloodfang Valeera (the classic, OG tint) for basically nothing. Legendary skins are 1600 per tint, though. Ouch. Prime Evil skin gonna cost a fortune if you want all 3 tints.

They must have ported in your PTR profile. That's definitely not enough w/ the port-over formula: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/heroes20/progression/#cashing-in

Yeah PTR chests/rewards/etc is all based on whatever you had on PTR previously. Not similar to live. All my skins are here from live, though, unlike Maledict.

Alur

So far I've found these new skins:

Prime Evil Diablo
Legion Kerrigan (very similar to Succubus)
Bezerker Kharazim (basically Wolverine'd monk)
Ordermaster Valla (neat new skin with two tints, kind of a different take on her master)
God King Leoric (awesome af)

Lots of new tints for various heroes or new takes on old skins. Neon War World Sgt. Hammer is fucking awesome, for example.

I wonder if people are actually going to play on this show ptr

Hard to tell. Normally I'd say no but people love loot boxes even if you can't keep any of it. And you hurt yourself playing on live. Basically it's just a holding pattern.

Maledict

Can someone confirm for me, under the new system you get the basic 3 variations on a hero as soon as you own the hero? You don't have to find them seperately from a loot box?

Alur

I'll buy Cassia and find out for you Maledict. Give me just a minute.

EDIT: Yes, you get all 3 base skins with the hero purchase. Interesting, as a side note...you can purchase heroes for gold on PTR now. I just used 15000 gold. Probably because it's not transferring over.

kirblar

Can someone confirm for me, under the new system you get the basic 3 variations on a hero as soon as you own the hero? You don't have to find them seperately from a loot box?
You definitely get them if you port in a hero from 1.0. Unsure if you get them if you buy them in 2.0.

Alur

Brewmaster Chen

Neon Cyb'arak Anub'arak (Maledict wasn't kidding. It's good. Nexus Anub basically) Worth noting that this Anub skin tint is counted as owned by me but the new Dehaka mecha skin tint is not. Pretty weird.

Holy fuuuuuck the prime evil Diablo skins mount animation. Never not using it

Prime Evil is the shit. Legit impressed. Several of these are very nice honestly, or at least certain tints are.

Kioshen

Can you imagine the length of the in-development video if they wanted to cover all the new skins, portraits, banners and other tid bits they are releasing for 2.0. I'm also eating fresh crow for playing devil's advocate again on the content creation pipeline being maybe caught up.

scoobs

Can you imagine the length of the in-development video if they wanted to cover all the new skins, portraits, banners and other tid bits they are releasing for 2.0. I'm also eating fresh crow for playing devil's advocate again on the content creation pipeline being maybe caught up.
Haha ya, we'd stop complaining about the short in Dev videos then. What did I tell you?? I knew the skin output was insanely lacking lately

Alur

There are animated emoji sprays. The thumbs up, cheese, and crying spray are gonna get abused. Hot take: the announcer packs suck, or at least the previews only have 3 or 4 lines. Hopefully there's more than that to them.

Dreavus

So if I'm reading the patch notes correctly: If you bought a skin or a master skin, you get both current variations for free in 2.0. However, it doesn't say anything about regular skin variations, other than the fact that they are becoming distinct items and won't be progression unlocks. Maybe those won't transfer?

Alur

Dear god... it's like I'm never not going to be able to play this game now. Is cassian on ptr?

Yeah Cassia is on here.

So if I'm reading the patch notes correctly: If you bought a skin or a master skin, you get both current variations for free in 2.0. However, it doesn't say anything about regular skin variations, other than the fact that they are becoming distinct items and won't be progression unlocks. Maybe those won't transfer?

Everything I've bought previously is showing for me right now. So whatever skin you got before, the tints are still all there. If you buy it after, you're buying tint by tint, though. There are also several new tints in the game for certain skins. Those tints seem to be hit or miss - some are showing as owned by me, others are not. I would venture to say the new ones showing as owned are bugs and that they'll have to be purchased with shards or found in a loot box.

To the surprise of no one I'm sure, I'm gonna be Grandpa Get Off My Lawn about this new direction. I dislike pretty much everything about this, and I feel bad for anyone who ever buys the "we're giving you CHOICE to SAVE YOU MONEY" line. It's bullshit in politics, it's bullshit in business, and it's bullshit in game microtransactions.

Still, I'm hardly the target audience for this, and it's going to have little effect on my frequency or desire to play.

On the bright side, I have like 5 characters at 14+ with 2 of those at 20, but I've never even bought 60% of the roster, so I have stuff to do if I wanted.

Maledict

So far I've found these new skins:

Prime Evil Diablo
Legion Kerrigan (very similar to Succubus)
Bezerker Kharazim (basically Wolverine'd monk)
Ordermaster Valla (neat new skin with two tints, kind of a different take on her master)
God King Leoric (awesome af)

Lots of new tints for various heroes or new takes on old skins. Neon War World Sgt. Hammer is fucking awesome, for example.

Hard to tell. Normally I'd say no but people love loot boxes even if you can't keep any of it. And you hurt yourself playing on live. Basically it's just a holding pattern.

A lot of the new skins are very minor changes to existing skins, to be fair - there's a new Sylvanas skin (Warcghief Sylvanas) where she has a new bow and covers up her tummy, for example, but that's the only changes. Same with robot Kael, where he has a new head and legs but otherwise looks the same.

Some of the new tints are ace though - the black Li-Ming basic skin is far better than her master skin I feel! (and there's now 6 variations on star princess Li-Ming which is weird).

Note - Probius Master Skins currently not showing up, but you can get them in loot boxes.

brian!

To the surprise of no one I'm sure, I'm gonna be Grandpa Get Off My Lawn about this new direction. I dislike pretty much everything about this, and I feel bad for anyone who ever buys the "we're giving you CHOICE to SAVE YOU MONEY" line. It's bullshit in politics, it's bullshit in business, and it's bullshit in game microtransactions.

Still, I'm hardly the target audience for this, and it's going to have little effect on my frequency or desire to play.

On the bright side, I have like 5 characters at 14+ with 2 of those at 20, but I've never even bought 60% of the roster, so I have stuff to do if I wanted.

This is reasonable to me. Ive actually spent too much time thinking about f2p lol, and the way the free aspect of it serves to...cover up or make excuses for some real skeevy shit, but in the end im still susceptible to the whole "well...im not personally spending money and i dont really have the will to grind the axe for other ppl", which is also part and parcel for the f2p model haha.

Top Bottom