• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

scoobs

I haven't been doing the brawls lately, aside from the bloodlust one which is one of the best. I guess I'll have to force myself to do them.

Kioshen

Somebody just used a nuke to clear out a hard camp in my last game in warhead junction. I mean sure it's a AI game but that one I just don't understand. I didn't even said anything to the gul'dan that targeted just the front gate with the center on the gate, not even clipping the fort but that one I was just speechless.

scoobs

You'll find some special people in AI games, no doubt about that.

Anyone else excited they changed A+moving to target the unit nearest your mouse pointer? Makes stutter stepping so much easier for those of us old folk with shit mouse accuracy. Felt amazing to play Lunara again

Somebody just used a nuke to clear out a hard camp in my last game in warhead junction. I mean sure it's a AI game but that one I just don't understand. I didn't even said anything to the gul'dan that targeted just the front gate with the center on the gate, not even clipping the fort but that one I was just speechless.
You can sometimes see this in competitive for keep walls since they give a ton of XP.

scoobs

Great new episode of Core is up on all RSS feeds, if you aren't listening it's probably the most entertaining HOTS podcast, or at least a close second to Into The Nexus. Go listen!

Nexeoprady is particularly incredible this week

Kioshen

You can sometimes see this in competitive for keep walls since they give a ton of XP.

If we were getting pressured, I'd be ok with a keep wall but with nobody around, all showing on map and just casually dropping it only on the walls of a fort not keep ? Hell he was gul'dan and I was Zul'Jin. In the time it took for him to drop the nuke I already killed one tower. We could have pushed down the wall manually like big boyz and clean up the fort after the nuke.

I understand the value of dropping the wall of a keep but I guess you had to be there for the comically ways the map was tackled. There were other funny moments that could only happen in A.I. I fully accept this is not a serious mode but now understand where those bad habits from players are coming from in QM (including me I might add).

Kioshen

Quackniix is even worse from the few times I've watched him. At least mewn is funny sometimes, Quack was just salt incarnate. I do agree snitch can get pretty snarky and sarcastic at times too.

Alur

Never realized how salty snitch was

Lol how could you not? Dude is snarky and sarcastic af every time he's on THH. It's like his shtick, just badgering and stuff. Of course he'd be worse when heading into HL or whatever with pleb strangers.

Alur

He's funny because they take it well. Doing the same thing on a stream to randos comes off a bit different however.

Alur

Yeah I saw him there. Not a lot of games but I guess the numbers adjustments helped. Haven't looked at Cassia, but her AA being so clunky does make her less good than she should be. I'd say a good portion of her bad winrate if she has one can be put down to people just picking her to play her instead of only using her against what she's good at. She's paper thin against mages so if you go that route it's gonna be a bad time.

brian!

Lost to a probius yesterday but i feel like i can legitimately blame my team for the loss lol, games yesterday were rough in terms of teammates

193e7e4c193800639e20efc4835f5512.gif

Kioshen

Wow. So I really wasn't imagining it. Animation/windup is way too slow.

Looks to be in some way. I wonder why they struggle so much catching the issues on these ranged, mainly AA damage characters?

I guess nobody played her enough on the PTR ? Seems weird that it went live that way.

Alur

LOL @ this

Dedication, boys. Total dedication. I feel like this dude is always in kayfabe as Raynor IRL. Apparently he's up over 1900 now according to reddit.

i dont think she's mainly aa damage

Yeah she feels like a mage
The pull ult is really good

Don't think you played her enough then. If you aren't AAing your damage sucks. You have the Q which tickles every 3 secs or the E which does good damage and also serves as a method to kill yourself.

Getting in AA while you have a blind down and can't E is important, and in general it's very important for just chipping away. Doubly so if you go Valkyrie and don't take Ball Lightning. Where do you think her damage comes from if she's not AAing? Because she doesn't really have much in her kit to do any like an actual mage does.

I guess nobody played her enough on the PTR ? Seems weird that it went live that way.

She got way more testing than probably any other PTR hero thanks to 2.0. It was Cassia vs Cassia for basically 3 straight days on PTR. Usually you can't even get one good day worth of games and the queue then is like 20-30 mins. We were having 2 or 3 minute queues by comparison.

brian!

Yeah i havent played her at all lol
Usually in my games if she gets into auto range shell die or be routed

Had a cassia on my team that did nada but she had some great ults that prevented rag from towering up

Alur

It's weird to me that her W does no damage at all. I'm sure they have an underlying reason for that, but it's odd. It is also frustrating because it has decent range but your AA and your E "lock on" are much shorter so it's hard to capitalize on it unless you are literally face-to-face. In general I've never been a big fan of heroes who have long range abilities that rely on short range abilities to enable (Jaina is a good example of that, when you used to want to E for the vuln).

Someone else can speak on her regarding AA damage, but I'm up to 35 games on her now and from my experience you can't put out better than bruiser level/middling damage without getting in a good amount of AA's. You become too reliant on huge Ball Lightnings, and those don't really happen til level 20. I think the Valkyrie is a better ult team fight wise, too, providing your team has a follow up for the displacement.

Usually in my games if she gets into auto range shell die or be routed

That's kind of the problem with her. If you are facing an AA team, she can face check all day. 65 armor mitigates a lot. If you are facing ability damage, you're basically in the backline hoping someone gets out of position so you can W + E them or whatever and your damage is nonexistent for that game. Having her range be so short makes no fucking sense to me, honestly. It's not much more than melee range, basically Leoric's Skeletal Swing distance. The tax on her having 65 armor is pretty great, IMO. The level 20 6.0 range talent is fun if you get it though.

Ketch

It's weird to me that her W does no damage at all. I'm sure they have an underlying reason for that, but it's odd. It is also frustrating because it has decent range but your AA and your E "lock on" are much shorter so it's hard to capitalize on it unless you are literally face-to-face. In general I've never been a big fan of heroes who have long range abilities that rely on short range abilities to enable (Jaina is a good example of that, when you used to want to E for the vuln).

Someone else can speak on her regarding AA damage, but I'm up to 35 games on her now and from my experience you can't put out better than bruiser level/middling damage without getting in a good amount of AA's. You become too reliant on huge Ball Lightnings, and those don't really happen til level 20. I think the Valkyrie is a better ult team fight wise, too, providing your team has a follow up for the displacement.

That's kind of the problem with her. If you are facing an AA team, she can face check all day. 65 armor mitigates a lot. If you are facing ability damage, you're basically in the backline hoping someone gets out of position so you can W + E them or whatever and your damage is nonexistent for that game. Having her range be so short makes no fucking sense to me, honestly. It's not much more than melee range, basically Leoric's Skeletal Swing distance. The tax on her having 65 armor is pretty great, IMO. The level 20 6.0 range talent is fun if you get it though.

I've only played like 6 games on her, not 35, but I tried most of the talents and what I saw was that she sucks at auto attacks, and Q build is stronger then E or W builds. I agree with what other people were saying the other day in how she fits into a tychus role, but still think she's relies on autos even less then him. Using Q build I found Her damage to range from fine to good depending on the other team comp. It seemed to me the proper way to play her is Q for days, then all in combo blind with ball lightning and E. I think if you're picking this hero for auto attack damage you fucked up, there's so many better options I don't know why you would ever do that. Seems to me like cassia is squarely in the "fuck illidan and other heroes like him" camp, and kind of shouldn't be picked unless your capitalizing on the other teams bad draft (lack of disables, lack of ability damage). Her range needs to be short otherwise she just wouldn't really have a weakness, she'd be good at autos and ability damage (think falstad/valla) but then still have the massive advantage against illidans and raynors.

I do think her animation is wonky, but I don't think she needs to have longer range and I don't think her weaknesses are a problem. I think she's a niche assassin and that's actually a really good think for the game since there's so many assassins.

It seems like the last couple heroes have been niche heroes (except maybe Lucio), I think cassia will be same power tier as like zuljin or valeera. Ranging from good to very good in certain situations.

Alur

I've only played like 6 games on her, not 35, but I tried most of the talents and what I saw was that she sucks at auto attacks, and Q build is stronger then E or W builds. I agree with what other people were saying the other day in how she fits into a tychus role, but still think she's relies on autos even less then him. Using Q build I found Her damage to range from fine to good depending on the other team comp. It seemed to me the proper way to play her is Q for days, then all in combo blind with ball lightning and E. I think if you're picking this hero for auto attack damage you fucked up, there's so many better options I don't know why you would ever do that. Seems to me like cassia is squarely in the "fuck illidan and other heroes like him" camp, and kind of shouldn't be picked unless your capitalizing on the other teams bad draft (lack of disables, lack of ability damage). Her range needs to be short otherwise she just wouldn't really have a weakness, she'd be good at autos and ability damage (think falstad/valla) but then still have the massive advantage against illidans and raynors.

I do think her animation is wonky, but I don't think she needs to have longer range and I don't think her weaknesses are a problem. I think she's a niche assassin and that's actually a really good think for the game since there's so many assassins.

It seems like the last couple heroes have been niche heroes (except maybe Lucio), I think cassia will be same power tier as like zuljin or valeera. Ranging from good to very good in certain situations.

The problem with the Q is there is no damage. You get like 200-400 damage out of a Q, depending on level, and if you complete the quest you can cast it twice. It's not gonna kill anyone. It's just a tickle, and a narrow skill shot at that. That doesn't add up to anything. It's easy to dodge. It's very hard to consecutively hit it on the same hero due to the way players rotate. Ball Lightning does do a ton of damage, yes, but it's not even the better ult. Certainly not until 20. Valkyrie is a guaranteed kill if you have any follow up. Ball Lightning is just kind of a stat padder until 20, like garbage time points in basketball. That's where I'm talking about needing auto attack damage. If you can't get autos in, you're killing no one. You can function as poke with Q, or you can function as a finisher with W + E, but otherwise you're out in the cold the rest of the time unless you're adding in damage with auto attacks.

If you comb through reddit and through the various streamers/pros YouTubes, there's quite a few games where they take the Charged Strikes or whatever it is called at 1, or where people suggest it might be a better option. Even in the scant early returns it's performing better than the other level one talents. At the very least I think you're underrating it severely, as it provides a shitton of damage. It's basically a version of Greymane's level 20 cleave, but at level 1.

Kioshen

For once I'm glad of not being so early in trying out heroes. I would be bummed to spend 15k g or an amount of money on a new hero just to be disappointed.

Kioshen

Yeah I've been scrolling and nothing yet. It's kinda disappointing but they are probably behind on something or caught up in a meeting.

Kioshen

2:30 is the go-live time apparently.

My brain skipped over the "PDT". Guess they posted the thread well in advance to start receiving questions.

Maybe its a British thing, but I don't find him salty. Just very, very sarcastic and snide. Which are practically our Civ unique traits at this point... ;-)

Now that you mention that he is British it kinda makes sense now.

kirblar

A Hero at the current level cap of 20 converts to level 55 with the experience curve we’re using in the beta. We may tweak things a bit over the course of our beta test, but it should end up in that range.

Starting with Heroes 2.0, item purchases will be made with Gems rather than direct currency purchases. Gems are primarily purchased with real money, but you’ll receive 1000 Gems at Player Level 5 (and anyone over Player Level 5 will get that when they first log in after the 2.0 launch) and another 150 Gems every 25 Player Levels. I’ll probably be saying this a lot, but those numbers are where we’re at currently with the beta and subject to tuning changes.
We're all getting $10 store credit when it launches.

Alur

That's nice. That's twelve boxes if you want em, or two heroes on sale if the napkin math is right by the reddit folks.

Alur

proto always pooping on our 2.0 dreams. Forever a seagull!

EDIT: Ketch asks if I wanna play some HOTS. I say yeah, I could play some Cassia if you wanna do a game or two of QM. He logs in and queues and gets in a game before I can even log on. Da fuq Ketch lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Based on try mode Cassia seems fabulous. She's not melee but not really fully ranged, yet her abilities have some nice range and function on them. Her defensive running helps seal her identity as kind of an inverse-weighted Tyrael. I'll probably pick her up when she goes to 10k.

We're all getting $10 store credit when it launches.
Really? *starts considering what mount to buy*

Alur

I got a kick out of this answer about what heroes were gonna have announcer packs:

Blizzard said:
We don't plan to do announcers for every hero. We're cherry picking the ones that we feel are most interesting.

No Alarak, the most interesting (and requested) voice in the game outside of Abathur. No Rag. No Kerrigan. No Zul'jin. No Leoric. I'm sure there's others I'm missing. But thank god we got Lili, Butcher grunting, Rehgar, Hammer, Sonya, and Valla. Those were all must haves apparently.

Also, just saw it was confirmed that they aren't making master skins anymore and it seems like most heroes will only launch with a base skin and paid skin from now on:

Blizzard said:
Since we're retiring the concept of master skins, new heroes won't have master skins created for them. We're still planning for new heroes to have a launch skin when they come out, but whether they have a second one is more flexible. If the artists have a great idea for another skin they want to get out at launch, the possibility is there, but it's not required.

We have a lot of plans for the new item types and doing some tie-ins to HGC is something we're very interested in.

Kioshen

I had a good chuckle about this. I know this is off-topic but it's about another moba so there. At least with HoTS we don't have to bother as much with that kind of stuff.
For those not in the know, you can remove your early boots to lower your bonus stats since the bottle heals you for a fixed percentage of your health. Then you requip the boot and you health/mana go back up. It's an early game trick mostly for maximizing time stayed in lane for mid and safe lane carries.

Kioshen

They probably had leftovers hours from sessions that they recycled quickly to make announcers. Most of them are old heroes that were in the game for a while now.

Top Bottom