• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

scoobs

As an Alarak lover, this excites me greatly. They gotta do something to make his win rate less pitiful I guess. I'd love some actual talent diversity rather than just picking his best Q and W talents.

My guess is they completely change his level 1 talents, removing the mana reduction ones to be specific. They're uninteresting choices. They'll probably buff his level 4 Q talents to be less shit, and buff the E talents at 7 and 16 to feel more impactful.

Sucks to see that they're officially doing away with master skins (ie, not creating a beefed up version of the base skin anymore). I figured that would come with the other changes, but its still sad to see. Maybe this will free up the skin making team to create more unique skins for other heroes?

brian!

Is his winrate bad? I feel like he can win games pretty handily

Prob get cycle of discord instead, e range is already huge and the other talent looks dumb. Itd be cool if they added a new talent

scoobs

I don't think I've ever seen him outside of the bottom 10 in win rate.

Apparently cassia is shit? Really surprised her win rate is this bad.

Celegus

Let the furious F5'ing begin... going for some Blizzcon tickets!!!

Holy crap seriously... was refreshing as fast as I could on two different browsers and opened the page the second it was up, sold out. Did they sell 10 tickets?

One thing that was kind of re iterated during the Q&A that I didn't know about was the holiday skins.

Basically all holiday skins, not just Winter's Veil will only be purchasable during their holiday event time periods in 2.0(WV, Lunar New Year and Hollow's End)

So it's obvious what skins are considered lunar new skins but what's considered Hollow's End? Scarecrow Xul and????

Anyways if you still want Lunar Ming and didn't buy the bundle then do it before 2.0 otherwise you'll have to wait until 2018.

scoobs

Ya, I couldn't help myself and bought the bundle as well. And I'm not even that excited to play her to be completely honest. Just like to support my favorite game every once in awhile :)

scoobs

Mew said she's the most broken hero in the game...

Seems unlikely if she's released at 38% win rate. Pretty sure Samuro released at like 70%. Broken (good) heroes release at very high win rates (Rag, Kael, Samuro, etc.) She might be good, but if she was broken good she'd be dominating right now.

Kioshen

Is his winrate bad? I feel like he can win games pretty handily

Prob get cycle of discord instead, e range is already huge and the other talent looks dumb. Itd be cool if they added a new talent

I don't think I've ever seen him outside of the bottom 10 in win rate.

He's rated low because he's a hero that punishes mistakes. The higher the overall skill level of the game the harder it is to make it work. Even then, you need to work harder than other heroes to do your thing when the stars align. There's so much burden of execution attached to him that most don't bother anymore. Adding the baseline wider cone on his Q should help but there's so much more they could do.

scoobs

Oh ya I completely understand why his win-rate is where it is, but I think they'd probably like it if he wasn't unplayable for 95% of the player-base as he currently stands (or at least they haven't expressed any interest in him being lumped in with the "weird" heroes like Abathur, Medivh, etc.)

One thing that certainly cannot be argued is that his talent diversity is poop and I'm just glad they're addressing that.

scoobs

If they make his base kit any better I think he's busted OP. He's terrifying in the hands of a great Alarak player.

Give him some interesting talent choices and he's golden in my opinion.

Kioshen

The most interesting talent option is Pure Malice especially in wooden tier QM lul but in all seriousness, there's so much they could do to at least let you manipulate your sadism in both direction. At least they mentioned in the Q&A that they are currently looking at him and that baseline double cross is just the start.

brian!

His base kit is more of an issue than his talents i think because he has one clear op skill (w) which leads to lots of mandatory feeling talents being picked up. The sadism design allows them to have pretty broken talents (w push length, w cd, etc.), but i wouldnt mind at all if those talents were baseline and his dmg was just put at whatever % sadism reduction also at baseline. But those w talents are strong enough to warrant higher payment and still be mandatory, i dunno if there is much to be done about talent diversity on dis guy. Not that talent diversity is meaningful to me in the slightest mind u lol

Doublecross is great to fold into the base q but having the new 2cd reduction on q also baked in + new talents at 4 instead of what they currently have (again, post-change there will still be no real choice to make here unless they are redoing his e and the e talents) would be cool

scoobs

My biggest complaint about him right now, and why I die a lot, is how is W range works. If you use the telekinesis ability, and its out of range to cast it, it will move Alarak closer until he is in range. Thus thrusting me into my inevitable doom, and pissing me right off. I wish it would just cast at max range in these situations, instead of moving Alarak into range.

brian!

Hm do you have special casting settings? Iirc (havent played him in a while) there should be an aoe range indicator when you press w, im usually in motion while aiming w too, so in general there is no issue on my end. Personally id rather have the w buffer than have it insta-cast at your max range since at most the range judgement is just a step or two away, id rather him take a short stroll than just str8 up whiff it. But obviously having the option to choose is the best

Alur

Unless you have the base hotkey settings on you can't see the r ange. With Quick Cast there is no indicator. Maybe if you do on release, but I just do regular Quick Cast. Have had the same problem as scoobs with Alarak when I played him. There's another hero I've had that issue with too but I forget which.

Kioshen

Ability clamping is coming to Tyrael for his q and also Alarak which would fix your complaint Scoobs. I don't mind this for Alarak but if I specify a spot for Tyrael I really want to go there even it's outside of max range. Hopefully it will be a toggleable feature.

brian!

Yeah seriously if im trying to q over a wall but the game is like nah man you actually q'd in front of it that would suck

Ketch

Unless you have the base hotkey settings on you can't see the r ange. With Quick Cast there is no indicator. Maybe if you do on release, but I just do regular Quick Cast. Have had the same problem as scoobs with Alarak when I played him. There's another hero I've had that issue with too but I forget which.

on release shows the indicator. great feature is setting independent normal quick cast and on release for each ability. So something like stitches hook or alarak telekenisis can be on release but something like stitches slam or storm bolt is instant.

scoobs

I refuse to use on release, or have specific quick cast settings for different heroes. I'm far too lazy for that. Quick cast always and forever.

Ketch

I refuse to use on release, or have specific quick cast settings for different heroes. I'm far too lazy for that. Quick cast always and forever.

It's not like you have to do it all at once, just take 5 seconds to change it to on release next time you play Alarak and see if that helps?

and it's per ability, not hero. so you can have it just be telekenisis.

I have everything set to "on release" and then change things to regular quick cast as I realize I dont need on release for certain abilities.

scoobs

My muscle memory is such that making that sort of change only for one or two heroes would be borderline impossible. I just don't play enough to have that be worthwhile.

Alur

I don't think my brain could comprehend on release casting of anything. I've thought about trying it, but not really sure what benefit it has over actual Quick Cast. I guess if the skill had a long lead like Stitches hook maybe?

My muscle memory is such that making that sort of change only for one or two heroes would be borderline impossible. I just don't play enough to have that be worthwhile.

Don't you play several days a week/probably 10-20 matches a week at the very least? That's quite a bit. It's not as hard as you'd think. I go the other way from them, though, I have Quick Cast on but some skills I don't use Quick Cast for because they are easier to use/aim/whatever without.

scoobs

I probably get 10-20 matches in a week, but I have played Alarak maybe twice in the last two months. Idk, I just don't care enough to make that change, that's on me.

Maledict

I have one ability set to slow cast, otherwise everything is quick cast. That's Jaina's Ring of Frost, which is a complete ass to aim just using quick cast.

Ketch

The thing is, on release doesn't change any thing if you just push the button... all it does is bring up the range indicator if you hold the button. So it's not gonna fuck with you're muscle memory. Add aren't you holding the button for vector cast abilities anyway?

Kioshen

I was on default cast for a while but I've made the transition to on release except for Tracer's blink and melee which are on quick cast.

After placing in Gold 4 for this season and playing some more games, just kind of staying in Gold 4, I have no real desire to keep playing Hero League. Same thing happens in Overwatch Competitive.

I'd rather just play QM.

Anyone else like that?

Alur

After placing in Gold 4 for this season and playing some more games, just kind of staying in Gold 4, I have no real desire to keep playing Hero League. Same thing happens in Overwatch Competitive.

I'd rather just play QM.

Anyone else like that?

Every season. I do my ten games, make sure I got back to Diamond 3, and then back to Quick Match. There just isn't enough incentive for me to solo slog through it instead of playing who I want. That'll be doubly so once 2.0 hits and leveling heroes gets you rewards...and likely causes people to pick bad picks more often in draft cause they are near a level.

For me and our group we typically prefer QM together as well. I also really like Team League. Unranked is alright.

Kioshen

For some weird reason, I have a very high ladder anxiety on this game. I never touched HL and probably never will. I'm playing too casually and usually can put up with the QM silly experience anyway. I should probably do it to get better quality matches but I'm not motivated enough to bother with it. I told myself that I should try playing more unranked this season and every time I finally boot the game up I just switch to QM.

I usually try getting into HL but then I lose two times in a row and quit. Like I had a ridiculous win streak going with Zeratul then lost 2 or 3 in a row and was done for the season.

Alur

For some weird reason, I have a very high ladder anxiety on this game. I never touched HL and probably never will. I'm playing too casually and usually can put up with the QM silly experience anyway. I should probably do it to get better quality matches but I'm not motivated enough to bother with it. I told myself that I should try playing more unranked this season and every time I finally boot the game up I just switch to QM.

This is me, basically. I'm happy in Diamond. I feel like if I really wanted to get into it, I could push into Master. Definitely so in certain seasons (season 2 would've been a good one for me), though I feel like I'd struggle in this particular meta. I just get angsty about losing rank and honestly I want to play what I want to play, so I do QM. Generally when I HL or even Unranked with you guys I end up picking 4th or 5th, and when you're doing that in HL that means you're always the tank or support which is no bueno if your team sucks.

Kioshen

This is me, basically. I'm happy in Diamond. I feel like if I really wanted to get into it, I could push into Master. Definitely so in certain seasons (season 2 would've been a good one for me), though I feel like I'd struggle in this particular meta. I just get angsty about losing rank and honestly I want to play what I want to play, so I do QM. Generally when I HL or even Unranked with you guys I end up picking 4th or 5th, and when you're doing that in HL that means you're always the tank or support which is no bueno if your team sucks.

Replace Diamond with silver and that's close for me too hehe.

Kioshen

I feel like all the momentum that they build with HGC is pretty much gone now. Over a month of downtime for the league is way too much. I felt like I couldn't watch it all when it was happening but now there's just plain nothing happening. They could have spaced it out better and have content every week.

Kioshen

That too. Being presented a 480p archive when you go to their dorms page when you missed it live is pure torture. I was already snobby enough having a 720p twitch but a 480p archive where you can't even differentiate talent icons is laughably bad.

Hopefully, now that Twitch officially supports 1080p60, Heroes productions will upgrade their broadcast to that for the latter half of the current season.

Top Bottom