• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

IllumiNate

Legendaries so far:

1 Eternal Guardian
1 Archmage Wrenlocke
2 The Kraken
1 Cosmic Transmogrifier
2 Mastery of Time
2 High Tomb Lord
2 Zombie Plague
1 Angel of Dawn
4 His Majesty, King Gabriel
1 Ozawa, Cosmic Elder
3 Resurrection
2 Pack Raptor
3x Jadiim
3x Eye of Creation
1 Reginald Lancashire
1 Zoltog
1 Crown of Primals
1 Comet Strike

I think I'm off to a good start. I've only opened 8 Regular Boosters, the rest were Primals

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I can't believe the beta is here, and I also can't believe that there will be no future wipes as well as redeeming our KS rewards. Also, opening packs is really, REALLY addictive.

Game is f'd up completely right now, which is disappointing. I don't understand why they didn't install the new hardware and do some alpha testing on it prior to beta.

Minsc

Gold Member
Reading what a poor state things are in (compared to even the alpha - which was better off) makes me wonder if this will suffer one of the same issues as Hearthstone, that is when it finally launches out of open beta ~6-12 months from now, if people will be dying for new content on day 1.

They probably don't have any plans on releasing any sets prior to launching the game I'd imagine... I guess that's just the nature of these 3-6 month betas.

Mugaaz

Reading what a poor state things are in (compared to even the alpha - which was better off) makes me wonder if this will suffer one of the same issues as Hearthstone, that is when it finally launches out of open beta ~6-12 months from now, if people will be dying for new content on day 1.

They probably don't have any plans on releasing any sets prior to launching the game I'd imagine... I guess that's just the nature of these 3-6 month betas.

From what theyve said, set 2 is already done card design wise, though I'm sure not the software side.

As far as HS vs Hex. Seems pretty clear to this a race of CCG Designers vs Video Game Designers. Each group is pretty bad at the other aspect. Not clear to me which side will get better first. One thing that really worries me about HS is they just seem to have no clue their planned release schedules are simply 100% inadequate to keep a vibrant metagame going. The Hex people just cant seem to get hardware/software side of the business down, just like WoTC.

Cereal

Apparently they're pretty close to being done designing Set 2 cards, but implementing them into the engine is another story.

They've mentioned in the past that it'll be necessary for the time between Set 1 and Set 2 to be a little longer than they'd like, but they seem to be aware of the dangers of set fatigue. Hopefully Set 2 will come before full launch.

StMeph

As far as HS vs Hex. Seems pretty clear to this a race of CCG Designers vs Video Game Designers. Each group is pretty bad at the other aspect. Not clear to me which side will get better first. One thing that really worries me about HS is they just seem to have no clue their planned release schedules are simply 100% inadequate to keep a vibrant metagame going. The Hex people just cant seem to get hardware/software side of the business down, just like WoTC.

Yeah, this is a huge shame. No one has really been able to get both sides done right. Like anything else, projections are basically all guesswork anyway, but I would expect a smaller-but-more-dedicated following for HEX, and a larger-but-more-mercurial base for Hearthstone.

Most of Blizzard's games now have been a matter of streamlining, to make things increasingly approachable. Contemporary Blizzard games feel focus-grouped. But they approached the digital card game space by designing the game part first. Everything is slick and responsive because they're familiar with the limitations of the medium, but cards are simple and non-interactive, for the most part.

I think HEX is going to continue to have technical problems, for a long time. TCGs are complex, especially as card sets mature, and potential interactions explode exponentially. Live tournaments require human judges, and often the rule in question is not clear-cut. This is a tremendous challenge to capture in a program, and even if it always breaks one way (which invariably becomes a "feature, not a bug"), it's still a massively complicated system. CZE seems to have designed a card game first, then tried to make it go online, and THEN tried to add some online-only possibilities for a TCG.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I think this has the advantage of following a more traditional release pattern, so after that first expansion set hits, the rest probably will come fast enough, and the PVE to this sounds 100x more involving than the PVE in HS, I see myself falling behind in Hex once things start rolling.

I haven't even started opening my packs yet, so that will be fun later. Would have done a bunch today, but their Mac client kept crashing on me, so I'm just waiting to get back on my PC later. Sounds like that 5/5 Dragon that starts with a U is the goto legendary card? Looking forward to just how different this will be from HS.

Luigi87

Opened 15 regular boosters, additional legendaries I got:
Crown of the Primals x1
Urunnaz x1
Argus, Herald of Doom x1

Cereal

On the software vs card design discussion, there was an article last week on an MMO site where a composer for the game let slip that Gas Powered Games were apparently doing the coding before they closed down, with CZE handling the TCG design.

So the assumption is that after that happened, CZE launched the Kickstarter and brought code development in house. Which would explain why they are behind schedule. I'm sure picking up someone else's code isn't ideal or easy.

TriGen

Yeah, I think this has the advantage of following a more traditional release pattern, so after that first expansion set hits, the rest probably will come fast enough, and the PVE to this sounds 100x more involving than the PVE in HS, I see myself falling behind in Hex once things start rolling.

Cory Jones said in an interview recently that once set 2 comes out the pattern of a new set release every 3 months begins. This is the interview where he talks about that and a lot of other stuff -- the set talk begins at 50 minutes.

Izayoi

Banned
8 Primals:

1 x Eternal Guardian
1 x The Kraken
1 x Cosmic Transmogrifier
1 x High Tomb Lord
1 x Angel of Dawn
1 x His Majesty, King Gabriel
1 x Ozawa, Cosmic Elder
1 x Jadiim
2 x Argus, Herald of Doom
2 x Archmage Wrenlocke
2 x Vampire King
2 x Uruunaz

Looks like I'm doing a Blood deck of some kind...

Ryuukan

8 Primals:

1 x Eternal Guardian
1 x The Kraken
1 x Cosmic Transmogrifier
1 x High Tomb Lord
1 x Angel of Dawn
1 x His Majesty, King Gabriel
1 x Ozawa, Cosmic Elder
1 x Jadiim
2 x Argus, Herald of Doom
2 x Archmage Wrenlocke
2 x Vampire King
2 x Uruunaz

Looks like I'm doing a Blood deck of some kind...

whats your keep name

duppolo

how is this compared to hearthstoe? is pay to win? can a player have fun without spending money on it? Also: is this coming to ipad?

Izayoi

Banned
ho w is this compared to hearthstoe? is pay to win? can a player have fun without spending money on it?
PvP (all that's in the game right now), is just like a physical card game - you pay money to crack open boosters.

There are sealed formats, however - these still cost money, but the playing field is even regardless of how many cards you have.

At some point you will be able to buy boosters with in-game gold that you get through PvE - but we're not sure when PvE is going to be implemented.

duppolo

PvP (all that's in the game right now), is just like a physical card game - you pay money to crack open boosters.

There are sealed formats, however - these still cost money, but the playing field is even regardless of how many cards you have.

At some point you will be able to buy boosters with in-game gold that you get through PvE - but we're not sure when PvE is going to be implemented.

thanks. winning in pvp give you money to buy cards? ipad version? do you play hearthstone? why you think this is better then that game? thanks

thanks. winning in pvp give you money to buy cards? ipad version? do you play hearthstone? why you think this is better then that game? thanks

IPad version will be released (we don't know when) since the stretch goal has been reached. Hex has more depth gameplay than Hearthstone. Hex is more like Magic.

Colby

I haven't played in a few months, so I'm somewhat confused. Can we now start progressing through the game, i.e. opening packs, building decks, etc, and our progress will carry over to the finished game? I Kickstarted at the $120 level, so can I open those packs now?

Izayoi

Banned
1.) At some point, yes. You get gold from winning tournaments currently, but you can only use it to open chests right now.

2.) There will be one at some point. We don't know when.

3.) I have played it in the past, but I did not spend more than a dozen or so hours with it.

4.) Hex is more complex than Hearthstone. There's an element of deckbuilding that's missing with the way HS resource system works... I love depth in a TCG, and Hex has exactly that. Hearthstone is fun, but it's difficult for me to really get into it because it feels so shallow in comparison...

I haven't played in a few months, so I'm somewhat confused. Can we now start progressing through the game, i.e. opening packs, building decks, etc, and our progress will carry over to the finished game? I Kickstarted at the $120 level, so can I open those packs now?
Yup. Everything you get now is permanent, there will be no progress wipes from here on out.

Shrennin

A lot of this has been said, but I'll reiterate:

how is this compared to hearthstoe? is pay to win? can a player have fun without spending money on it?

Hearthstone is more of a game than a TCG (I actually wouldn't even consider Hearthstone a TCG) while Hex is really similar to a true TCG (most similar to Magic, which is the king of TCGs).

As far as paying to win -- I really don't think that's gonna be a problem. A lot of the tournaments involve starting on "equal" ground (you build a deck with the same amount of packs given to each player in a tournament, you each take turns choosing a card from a pack that you each have, etc.). The only possible pay to win format would be constructed (you go into a tournament with a deck you already made out of the cards you already own). With that said, a lot of this game is free. I really don't see how CZE is gonna make a ton of money from this given that there's only two things you can buy from CZE (platinum -- currency to buy packs, the VIP program, etc. from CZE directly -- and entry tickets to tournaments) and those two things are available for trade in the player auction house. Everything else though? Free. You just have to play the game to get access to it.

Also: is this coming to ipad?

Yes, it is coming to iPad.

Also, CZE confirmed asynchronous sealed, which is gonna be a lot better (in my opinion) than Hearthstone's most popular format: Arena.

The beta seems way, *way* more stable today. I've been able to play about 5 PVP games and 4 AI games so far with no crashing, and opening a few boosters seemed to go pretty well.

I really want to open all my packs and make some decks, but I suppose this isn't the wisest thing to do, right? I really have never concerned myself with TCG ecnomies. I'm the guy who wastes tons of money just buying Magic singles on ebay to make decks.

But I figure since Hex is digital, it would be wiser to pay more attention to values of cards and get into trading/bartering/drafting.

But really I have no clue.

I really want to open all my packs and make some decks, but I suppose this isn't the wisest thing to do, right? I really have never concerned myself with TCG ecnomies. I'm the guy who wastes tons of money just buying Magic singles on ebay to make decks.

Eh, I could see it either way. The reason i'm holding off on opening most of my boosters right now is so I can use them for Drafts w/o having to buy more for a while. I did open my 3 Primal packs though, didn't see a need to hang on to those

(keepname is "Nothingmuch", by the way. I'm a pretty casual player, so if you're interested in less serious / more fun and PVE stuff, anyone can go ahead and add me as a friend)

Izayoi

Banned

But I figure since Hex is digital, it would be wiser to pay more attention to values of cards and get into trading/bartering/drafting.

But really I have no clue.
I'm saving all of my packs for drafts...

But then, I rarely play constructed formats.

Depending on how long a draft round takes in Hex, I might budget myself a certain number of packs for drafting and just open the rest. Not sure yet... I've got close to 500 packs, so that's quite a few drafts...

Shrennin

So I thought a Google Doc would be a good idea.

I echo the good idea sentiment! I added myself.

Also, I would advise waiting to open legendary chests (or maybe any chests) until GenCon because the promos and whatnot from GenCon will be available through chests during the period GenCon is happening. We can't open chests right now, but it's something I thought I should mention before we are given the ability.

Also, I would advise waiting to open legendary chests (or maybe any chests) until GenCon because the promos and whatnot from GenCon will be available through chests during the period GenCon is happening. We can't open chests right now, but it's something I thought I should mention before we are given the ability.

Oh man, I totally forgot about the promos I picked up at the last GenCon for playing it there. I think it's all PvE stuff (and maybe a deck sleeve) so I highly doubt it's even in the game now, but I need to figure out where the heck I put those redemption cards...

havocau

Neo Member
I'm going to be doing A LOT of giveaways on my stream when the tournament servers re-launch (will be drafting), please check out my stream for further info:

www.twitch.tv/hexedhavoc

I will be giving away games on Steam/Origin, an Alternate-Art Ozawa card, and much more.

Appreciate all the follows! Cheers <3

HAVOC

Shrennin

Oh man, I totally forgot about the promos I picked up at the last GenCon for playing it there. I think it's all PvE stuff (and maybe a deck sleeve) so I highly doubt it's even in the game now, but I need to figure out where the heck I put those redemption cards...

I really wanted to go to GenCon but couldn't. Hopefully I'll be able to get all of the promo stuff in the chests during this upcoming one. Also, make sure you don't lose your deck sleeve promo from GenCon as that is the only thing that won't be available in chests. CZE is making the promo deck sleeves the item that is only available at events while making the other promos available to all players during the time of the event through chests (that you still have to get lucky and get).

Shrennin

Is there trading enabled? How would you do giveaways right now?

My guess is that you would give a code to the player or essentially an IOU until the auction house is implemented (which should be really, really soon) for in-game items.

havocau

Neo Member
At the moment the majority of my giveaways are Steam games and other similar things. In the case of Hex goodies, I just take down names so they can be given out in the future ;)

Poetic

Trying to decide what to do with my year draft code since they don't stack. Sell it or use it on an alt account for 52 draft goodness. Tough one.

Brakara

Everything else though? Free. You just have to play the game to get access to it.

So what are the free rewards in this game and how do you get them? E.g., in Hearthstone it's pretty simple: you get a daily quest with a gold reward and you also get 10 gold for every third online win. Is there something similar in Hex?

Shinjica

So what are the free rewards in this game and how do you get them? E.g., in Hearthstone it's pretty simple: you get a daily quest with a gold reward and you also get 10 gold for every third online win. Is there something similar in Hex?

Money in this game are separated in 2, Platinium and Gold.

Gold is earned doing the PVE stuff (not in the game right now). If you want Platinium you've to buy it with real money.

Arveene

Neo Member
They really need to get Sealed/Draft tournaments open. I don't want to start cracking packs to play constructed against randoms. I did open most of my 30 or so Primals. I pulled four of Zombie Plague for a fun Saph/Blood deck.

Yaari

Sorry if asked previously, but is there a solution for those who backed twice yet? I did so at 2 different levels, and if I start opening packs on both codes/accounts, this probably voids that option, I don't know how they could even merge them anymore then.

Shinjica

Sorry if asked previously, but is there a solution for those who backed twice yet? I did so at 2 different levels, and if I start opening packs on both codes/accounts, this probably voids that option, I don't know how they could even merge them anymore then.

why you didnt use all your code in one single account?

Yaari

why you didnt use all your code in one single account?

I don't think that was an option when I made my first Alpha account. Anyway, I used only one of those codes so far.

Edit: Just checked, I was given 2 accounts, not codes. I was never able to create an actual account, it was already done the moment I got invited to Alpha. I'm not sure how they will do the merging, their forums appear to be down.

Arveene

Neo Member
Drafting now!

I don't think that was an option when I made my first Alpha account. Anyway, I used only one of those codes so far.

Edit: Just checked, I was given 2 accounts, not codes. I was never able to create an actual account, it was already done the moment I got invited to Alpha. I'm not sure how they will do the merging, their forums appear to be down.

You didn't get an e-mail about closed beta with codes in it? You should be able to just use all the codes on one account. I know I did.

Yaari

Drafting now!

You didn't get an e-mail about closed beta with codes in it? You should be able to just use all the codes on one account. I know I did.

Ah. I did not know they recently send them out. One of my email account has been blocking emails from cyptozoic before, so on that one I never received the codes. But there was one on my other email. Hopefully they will help me out.

Top Bottom