• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Luigi87

Hate to double post, but felt this was worth pointing out from the chat (not unexpected, but I mean, they could technically have limited which 250 tiers)

The $250 tiers will get in the second wave. I cannot say specifically when that will be other than as soon as possible.

Updates from the stream that I caught:

- Alpha delayed a couple hours to later tonight or tomorrow morning due to 2 bugs
- Set 1 spoiler tied to Alpha release
- Slacker backer access in a "few weeks"
- Wave 2 confirmed to be 250$ tiers

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

- Alpha delayed a couple hours to later tonight or tomorrow morning due to 2 bugs

When will they do new waves? One wave every week? Normal backers should be in before slacker backers I suppose.

When will they do new waves? One wave every week? Normal backers should be in before slacker backers I suppose.

Waves are predicated only on server performance so, for instance, if alpha releases tonight and all day tomorrow the servers are fine and client isn't a mess, wave 2 could be tomorrow night.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I gotta say I like how mechanically close to Magic they seem to be skewing. I enjoy novelty as much as the next guy but sometimes you pull from what works.

Draxal

I gotta say I like how mechanically close to Magic they seem to be skewing. I enjoy novelty as much as the next guy but sometimes you pull from what works.

Pretty much Wizards of the Coast left a huge that they should have gobbled out themselves, even if it meant hurting their paper product.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Pretty much Wizards of the Coast left a huge that they should have gobbled out themselves, even if it meant hurting their paper product.

You always take from the best and improve upon it. Hex may share similar mechanics to Magic because Magic practically invented the TCG. It's not unlike Riot making League of Legends their DotA with their own unique spin. This could be the LoL of digital TCG games if CZE plays their cards right since Wizards definitely didn't use the advantage that they had with Magic.

Also, did anyone possibly record the stream? Usually CZE archives it on their twitch channel, but I think Twitch recently set the archive switch to off for default and I don't think CZE remembered to turn it on. :(

Here's some cards that were spoiled during the stream, at least:

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/10/08/alpha-stream-screenshots-of-card-spoilers/

Proven

New update:

They think they fixed the big issues, closing in on release. Hopefully within next hour or hour and half. PDF incoming in 15 minutes.

I'd post link but their forums are chugging along.

Seriously? PDF in 15 minutes? I've been holding off checking each and every single Hex site to avoid the tedious clicking and finally, finally I'll be able to see everything at once.

Proven

Finally. Although now I can assume that the spoiler is the good news, and the bad news is that I don't get to watch any HEX streams until tomorrow.

Shrennin

Finally. Although now I can assume that the spoiler is the good news, and the bad news is that I don't get to watch any HEX streams until tomorrow.

Releasing the PDF is also good news that the client will hopefully be released tonight instead of tomorrow.

Izayoi

Banned
Holy shit, these fucking cards.

I love it. Hopefully client is out today, I will be streaming if it is. :)

Ryuukan, bbgurl, you in IRC?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Can anyone please remind me what the colours are?

Green - Common
White - Uncommon
Blue - Rare
Red - Ultra Rare

?

Shrennin

Unfortunately, looks like the client will not be available today. CZE is going to update everyone tomorrow around 11AM pacific to tell us where they are at. They are downloading the client now and are getting testers to test it and make sure no other issues are present.

EDIT: Beaten by Ryuukan. Curses!

Smiley90

Oh god I'm having flashes of Replicator's Gambit & Pack Raptors.

With a good card search card, that'd be deadly.

If you get REALLY lucky, you're looking at SIX 7/7 RAPTORS on TURN 2. Madness.

Ryuukan

Why? Turn 1 Replicator's Gambit, then if you get crazy lucky and draw it, turn 2 Pack Raptor.

It says "target troop you control", the pack raptor has to be in play

EDIT: depending on how Hex rules work, I guess its possible to draw the shuffled in pack raptor from the draw effect of replicator's gambit and still play it on turn 2

Smiley90

It says "target troop you control", the pack raptor has to be in play

Ah misremembered/misread, for some reason in my head it was "target troop in your hand".

EDIT: ha! I knew it! Okay not really, but it's still possible on Turn 2. :p

Colby

I funded $120 and haven't looked at any info since. And I have no idea how to play. I'm excited to learn on the fly, though I bet other PvPers are gonna be mad at my slow and terrible play.

Proven

I funded $120 and haven't looked at any info since. And I have no idea how to play. I'm excited to learn on the fly, though I bet other PvPers are gonna be mad at my slow and terrible play.

You'll be in wave 3 my friend. Just check the card list and look forward to all the streams tomorrow.

Shrennin

Guessing they are working around the clock tonight to get everything ready for tomorrow.

Yep. I kinda expected it to get delayed until tomorrow, honestly. This is really an alpha - Cory mentioned that most companies wouldn't dare release a build like this to the public because it's really an alpha build but since he felt that backers had a say in the development of the game he felt that they deserved to be apart of it. This also means that there will not be a way to "opt-in" to the alpha apart from the slacker backer. The only thing possible to opt-in to is the beta.

I think a good way for Hex to break from the Magic formula is to move to clan/tribal theme decks in later expansions. I think the reason Magic moved away from archetype decks is because they're so in love with their Limited draft format that they want all cards to work in every deck (as long as you play those colors of course). But the reason that I think Yugioh is the best card game out there is because of its unrelenting focus on archetype/theme decks. It's just more fun for me to have dragons vs magicians or robots vs zombies.

Yep. I kinda expected it to get delayed until tomorrow, honestly. This is really an alpha - Cory mentioned that most companies wouldn't dare release a build like this to the public because it's really an alpha build but since he felt that backers had a say in the development of the game he felt that they deserved to be apart of it. This also means that there will not be a way to "opt-in" to the alpha apart from the slacker backer. The only thing possible to opt-in to is the beta.

Ill sound like a bitch, but it's pretty annoying that during the KS they were saying beta in September and now we should consider ourselves lucky to have a 75% done alpha in our hands half way through October. I trust Crypto, wouldn't have paid the 120$ if I didn't, but it's frustrating to say the least.

Raytow

Few weeks? the total of backers with the slackers included are probably around 20k/22k at most, and we have to wait weeks to gain entry? what kind of servers are CZ running, 286s with a 20 meg HD?

Brakara

How long did it take for Blizzard to get 22k Hearthstone players? I bet it was a lot more than "a few weeks". And that's from one of the biggest gaming companies with decades of experience in running servers.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Pardon the dumb question, but how much did you need to back to get into the alpha?

darkblue

Neo Member
Am I the only one that thinks the color borders of the cards are way to bright and distracting?

Everytime I look at a card my eyes gravitate towards the border (left side especially) instead of the card art.

F!ReW!Re

I'm in the same boat.
I'll play and see how it goes! :)

Ryuukan

Ill sound like a bitch, but it's pretty annoying that during the KS they were saying beta in September and now we should consider ourselves lucky to have a 75% done alpha in our hands half way through October. I trust Crypto, wouldn't have paid the 120$ if I didn't, but it's frustrating to say the least.

They could have done the same as Gencon and only let people play some precon decks for alpha. Getting full playsets of the whole set is a very nice thing to make up for the delay imo. This way, when beta starts, you can know exactly what cards you want to go after and not invest in a deck that turns out to be a flop.

Shrennin

It's definitely annoying. In the end, if this means the game will be more polished than going in with the first plans, then I'll be fine with it. I just want to play the game at this point.

Shinjica

It's definitely annoying. In the end, if this means the game will be more polished than going in with the first plans, then I'll be fine with it. I just want to play the game at this point.

let's hope it's about to have a more polished game istead of all the promised thing they added during the kickstarter campaign

Ryuukan

let's hope it's about to have a more polished game istead of all the promised thing they added during the kickstarter campaign

They were pretty clear that things will be added as time goes on after beta, they never claimed everything was going to be ready this fall

Top Bottom