• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Anyone of you guys streaming yet/knows a good streamer? Just got home :x

Also new update:

10/9 - 4:50 PM

Hey all. For those of you in the game, we hope you're enjoying your first experience with HEX with this alpha client.

The servers will be brought down at times this evening and overnight to resolve download speed issues for players installing the client. We are aware of the issue and taking steps to remedy it. Note that this is alpha, so our engineers will often bring down servers to do work throughout the entirety of the alpha period.

If you are a Grand King, Dragon Lord, Primal, Immortal, or Producer and have yet to receive your invite, please check your junk email or spam email folder. If you still do not have an invitation, please open a ticket here with the subject line of "HEX - Invite": http://cryptozoic.kayako.com/ Please use that customer service portal only for this reason. This is the only HEX issue that can be resolved via this customer service portal. Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------

NOT a smart idea on CZE's part to make the download link public and not pre-authorize it. It would be so much faster if only people that could actually play (e.g. GK and higher) would be able to download the client, and not EVERYONE. I for one am restraining on downloading it until a later time, since I can't play anyway.

Yeah it's a double edged sword. With the link public you can basically preload which renders a lot of GK+ unable to play but spreads the load for future waves since many $250 tier and below are downloading now. I agree though, it should have been behind an authorization.

Proven

Cryptozoic didn't make the link public. People who got the email and then spread it shot themselves in the foot. Cryptozoic didn't want to put any authentication behind it methinks because the client of the game is when and where you make your account, but didn't consider that people would actually share the link like they did. Foolish in retrospect, but I don't blame them for it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Cryptozoic didn't make the link public. People who got the email and then spread it shot themselves in the foot. Cryptozoic didn't want to put any authentication behind it methinks because the client of the game is when and where you make your account, but didn't consider that people would actually share the link like they did. Foolish in retrospect, but I don't blame them for it.

:lol that was OBVIOUSLY going to happen. Blame is on CZE not making it pre-authorized or not considering that it was going to happen.

Oh well, doesn't affect me much, so I'm not mad :lol. If i was a GK, I'd be a bit upset though.

Proven

:lol that was OBVIOUSLY going to happen. Blame is on CZE not making it pre-authorized or not considering that it was going to happen.

Oh well, doesn't affect me much, so I'm not mad :lol. If i was a GK, I'd be a bit upset though.
If you're not going to blame the masses for doing something dumb due to "human nature", then I can't see how you can blame CZE as they're just human too.

Smiley90

If you're not going to blame the masses for doing something dumb due to "human nature", then I can't see how you can blame CZE as they're just human too.

I'm saying CZE should have expected "the masses" to behave the way they do. Same way I'm blaming stores that refuse to open their closed doors before Black Friday when people get hurt trying to storm the doors.

But like I said, it's not really a big deal.

KuroNeeko

I'm not taking aim at you specifically, rather just voicing something that's always bothered me.

It's too bad that developers have to think this way. Whether we're talking about bug exploits, hacking, negligence or any number of unexpected things that can happen when you're creating something - there's always someone who blames it on the company.

"They should have foreseen this!" or my favorite "I'm not doing anything wrong! It's in the game! They shouldn't have included it then!"

It's as if players have no responsibility over their own actions. How nice would it be if players found an obvious bug and NO ONE exploited it? It'd be like the equivalent of finding a wallet stuffed full of cash on the street and just turning it in. Isn't it sad that we assume we'll never see the wallet again and that we're so surprised when someone does the right thing that it makes the news?

Sure, businesses have a responsibility to maintain the integrity of their services or they'll lose customers. That's a given in business. It's too bad some players don't make more of an effort to better themselves as people living in a society with other people.

I can't say if the client download issues are being caused by everyone trying to DL at the same time, but if that IS the case, wouldn't it have been nice if people not getting in had just waited say a day or so to let the other backers get in before downloading their own clients?

I'll probably download it in a day or two, or maybe when I get home since it'll be like 3:00 AM over there and traffic should be light. Or, maybe I'll just wait. They're bound to update the client anyways.

Smiley90

It would be nice. A lot of things in life would be nice if people weren't selfish/idiots/whatever.

Sadly, most people aren't that way, and will never be. And we have to live with that and try to diminish the effects as much as we can. And so do the devs.

Proven

It would be nice. A lot of things in life would be nice if people weren't selfish/idiots/whatever.

Sadly, most people aren't that way, and will never be. And we have to live with that and try to diminish the effects as much as we can. And so do the devs.

True, but I'm still not going to blame it on the company.

KuroNeeko

94.2% wtf, it's been hours

You'll click the link to download the installer and you're on your way. The progress bar isn't very good at predicting pace, so you'll probably slow down significantly when you get to around 90% or the sharedassets files. You will be tempted to click around, maybe tap on your monitor like you'd tap a fishbowl. Your download didn't crash. It just takes a while.

This was in the mail they sent to all of their backers.

Also -

The servers will be brought down at times this evening and overnight to resolve download speed issues for players installing the client. We are aware of the issue and taking steps to remedy it. Note that this is alpha, so our engineers will often bring down servers to do work throughout the entirety of the alpha period.

Cystm

I'm definitely interested. I would like to see a competitive ladder system in place for those that want that level of play.

Proven

It's okay... I guess? My biggest worry would be that you have cards to deal with creatures that are fighting but nothing that can deal with actions/tap effects/constants/artifacts. It should be fine for now until you get more experience with what rules the metagame and what you need to counter it.

My only other worry is that I never really gave much thought to the curve of a human inspire deck. Amassing most of the units at cost 3 is a great way to make sure you have the resources for both colors, but since your deck is currently more combat oriented I wonder if it'll be too slow.

Do they have avatars up as well or are avatars only for PvE?
From the looks of things, you'll only have access to the PvP Champions as any form of avatar during the alpha.

KuroNeeko

It's okay... I guess? My biggest worry would be that you have cards to deal with creatures that are fighting but nothing that can deal with actions/tap effects/constants/artifacts. It should be fine for now until you get more experience with what rules the metagame and what you need to counter it.

My only other worry is that I never really gave much thought to the curve of a human inspire deck. Amassing most of the units at cost 3 is a great way to make sure you have the resources for both colors, but since your deck is currently more combat oriented I wonder if it'll be too slow.

From the looks of things, you'll only have access to the PvP Champions as any form of avatar during the alpha.

edit: Looks like I read that wrong. Oh well.

Looks like no access to equipment either then, right? Equipment is only PvE?

Proven

edit: Looks like I read that wrong. Oh well.

Looks like no access to equipment either then, right? Equipment is only PvE?
Correct.

How is stability so far!??!?!? :p

Based off of streams? Terrible. But very playable. A couple of things that could be weird time out bugs, a couple of cards not working 100% as intended, but overall something that could sate the playerbase.

KuroNeeko

Do you have access to all the cards from the start in Alpha?

Yes. You have the entire set to work with as far as we know. I think I read somewhere that there are a few cards that haven't been implemented yet, but will be included at a future date. I imagine that they'd show up on the spoiler though. Not sure.

Or maybe not. ;)

Raytow

Do you have access to all the cards from the start in Alpha?
I'm gonna go on a limb and assume you are asking if we have to unlock cards for the different factions/races, the answer is no you get 4 copies of each card available in the first set around 300 cards for PvP only, minus 17~ that are currently having problems making them work.

Proven

I'm gonna go on a limb and assume you are asking if we have to unlock cards for the different factions/races, the answer is no you get 4 copies of each card available in the first set around 300 cards for PvP only, minus 17~ that are currently having problems making them work.

17? Oh, I was assuming he said 70. Dammit, I should have double checked.

So instead of 80% of the cards you have more like 95%.

Arveene

Neo Member
Lots of bugs, including one hilarious game breaking one with Menacing Gralk. It's effect applies every turn, all the time, and after it is removed from play.

Had to do a repair install multiple times (I think I was on repair 7 when I finally got it to launch.)

The game plays nicely though, I'm really enjoying it (even if it's just looking for bugs and stuff) and I can see this being really good once it's out of alpha. I'd give impressions, but I haven't really done much other than make silly decks for the purpose for creating a table lock to test for bugs and specific card interactions. I'll have some once I finally decide to stop breaking the game.

Emitan

The guy I'm watching keeps getting all his games stuck because of the priority bug or something similar. He hasn't finished a single game while I've been watching.

Ryuukan

Scarlet Devil Mansion is in operation. I'll be streaming deckbuilding when I get home later tonight.

Thats the name that was so secret you couldn't tell me?

Y5kDZyd.gif

Smiley90

Ugh, MTG style resources? Not a fan.

The resource system is VERY different from MTG. Maybe aside from the colour and the fact that there IS "resources" (unlike e.g. SolForge)

There are Thresholds instead of tappable lands though, which will make manascrew much more unlikely.

In shorts: All mana is colourless in terms of using it, however you need to have played a certain amount of mana-cards of each colour to play certain cards.

E.g. Card X has threshold Blue 3 and costs 6 to cast. Means you need to have played at least 3 blue mana to play it, but you can use ANY 3 mana to cast it, as all mana is colourless for usage.

JWong

Banned
The resource system is VERY different from MTG. Maybe aside from the colour and the fact that there IS "resources" (unlike e.g. SolForge)

There are Thresholds instead of tappable lands though, which will make manascrew much more unlikely.

In shorts: All mana is colourless in terms of using it, however you need to have played a certain amount of mana-cards of each colour to play certain cards.

E.g. Card X has threshold Blue 3 and costs 6 to cast. Means you need to have played at least 3 blue mana to play it, but you can use ANY 3 mana to cast it, as all mana is colourless for usage.

Doesn't seem that different. You got a blue deck, you need blue mana. A resource that has no strategic value in gameplay is boring.

Either get rid of resource cards like WoW TCG or do something incredibly strategic with it like some TCGs where resources does something.

Smiley90

Doesn't seem that different. You got a blue deck, you need blue mana. A resource that has no strategic value in gameplay is boring.

Either get rid of resource cards like WoW TCG or do something incredibly strategic with it like some TCGs where resources does something.

But that's not really how it works. A blue card that costs 7 to cast doesn't need 7 blue mana. It needs you to HAVE e.g. 3 blue mana, but you don't "spend" those blue mana on that card. You just need to have 3 blue mana cards in play. It makes manascrew much more unlikely.

Think of it this way: Everytime you play a mana card, you gain 1 blue shard. that shard is available to you anytime you want it, for as many cards as you want it, it's just "there". A blue mana card gets you 1 blue shard and 1 colourless mana.

A card requires you to have threshold x, and y colourless mana.

You can only have 1 blue shard in play, but you can cast 6 blue threshold-1 cards, as long as you have 6 colourless mana.

JWong

Banned
But that's not really how it works. A blue card that costs 7 to cast doesn't need 7 blue mana. It needs you to HAVE e.g. 3 blue mana, but you don't "spend" those blue mana on that card. You just need to have 3 blue mana cards in play. It makes manascrew much more unlikely.

Think of it this way: Everytime you play a mana card, you gain 1 blue shard. that shard is available to you anytime you want it, for as many cards as you want it, it's just "there". A blue mana card gets you 1 blue shard and 1 colourless mana.

A card requires you to have threshold x, and y colourless mana.

You can only have 1 blue shard in play, but you can cast 6 blue threshold-1 cards, as long as you have 6 colourless mana.

It doesn't matter! It's just a resource and that's the problem.
It's stupid shit that makes deck building a pain and boring in-game.

Smiley90

Well if your beef is with resources in general - then yeah.

Something like SolForge doesn't use resources, it's pretty interesting.

You should look into Netrunner. It deals with resources much differently. I personally find figuring out my curve and ramp necessary to be an interesting decision space, but it's not for everyone.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Deck building is kinda wonky at the moment so I've played against the AI some - I'm REALLY enjoying it so far. When this game gets polish, it's going to be really special. I can tell that I'll really love it.

I would love to deck build, but the art is taking a while to load and it seems to be really slow with the interface right now.

You should look into Netrunner. It deals with resources much differently. I personally find figuring out my curve and ramp necessary to be an interesting decision space, but it's not for everyone.

And the whole threshold idea really eliminates a lot of luck involved with resources (though there is still luck involved, which isn't a bad thing). When playing against the AI, I was blown away by the fact that I could play a wild card that costs 3 or 4 even though I may have only had 1 or 2 wild resources.

JWong

Banned
Well if your beef is with resources in general - then yeah.

Something like SolForge doesn't use resources, it's pretty interesting.

WoW TCG (not Hearthstone) has a resource system where you can put any card face down from your hand to become a resource. Don't even need to think about resources at all when making a deck, and also adds a strategic element of whether you want more resources or to keep the cards on your hand.

Not sure why Hearthstone opted to completely remove it.

Yeah I was thinking about Netrunner. Also Battletech TCG has attackable resources while the resource serves as an additional buff for the player.

Minsc

Gold Member

They include a deck building tool for dealing hands, so you can simulate starting draws in games instantly to see if the balance of cards/mana works for you or not.

Top Bottom