• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

You should probably quit online games altogether. :p

Also we need AH/trading before matchmaking... I don't know how anyone can question that. It's a trading card game. More people benefit from that than a matchmaking system.

Shinjica

Cory statement about Gameforge etc.

Managing HEX
We have several threads in the forum about Gameforge, specifically how Gameforge is handling / marketing HEX.

Let me start off with a couple of statements. Nobody is taking over HEX. One person makes the decisions on how this game is developed, priced, and marketed: that person is me. Ask anyone that knows me and they will attest that the only thing that would remove me from HEX is drawing my last breath. I have too much of myself vested in this game to ever walk away.

Gameforge has actually been a VERY good partner. I know I have seen complaints about Gameforge and their past interactions with players, but I think you would be hard pressed to find ANY publisher that doesn’t have a group of people that dislike them. In the end I HAD to bring in someone to help us, we simply could not do it ourselves.

With that said, I picked Gameforge because they believed in the vision of HEX. They believed in the game and me enough to sign a contract that left me in total control of the game, something I don’t think they have ever done in the past. Beyond that, they have sunk a tremendous amount of resources into the game, which includes hiring a group of people that just work on HEX. I have zero complaints with Gameforge, they have lived up to every promise they made regarding HEX. Has everything been perfect? No, but that’s to be expected. Has Gameforge worked quickly to fix or change systems to be what we need? YES, and that’s the real key. I don’t expect ANY of this to be perfect right at the beginning but if all have the same goals and work toward that future we can make it happen.

Let’s talk about the marketing stuff a bit…

I want HEX to be huge, and I think you want that also. The more players we have the quicker the draft queue goes off (I want to wait 30 seconds, not 30 minutes to draft). More players gives us more money to spend on Esports and prize support (I want to sell out the Staples center just like LOL). The more players the bigger budget I have for game designers, engineers, and artists (wouldn’t it be amazing to get Brom for a piece of card art?).

Remember, we made a VERY “core” game; we didn’t make a simplified version of a TCG so the largest possible audience could jump in and start playing in a couple of minutes. We left real barriers to entry in place, because we designed the game we want to PLAY, not the game we thought would SELL, and that game we wanted to play was deep and complex. When it comes to getting new players into the game, we are going to have to be aggressive and smart. I believe that, buried in the tens of millions of players currently in the Gameforge system, we have some people that would LOVE HEX and could be amazing members of our community and huge wins for us as a group. And if “try it out puzzles” or the chance to earn a little platinum filling out surveys is the key to getting them in our game, I think that is a price we should be willing to pay.

I also want to point out that we have been trying to build a “global” community. Sadly, at times that objective is entirely counter-intuitive to what an individual player may want, so it becomes a balancing act. Some parts of the world pay for online games in VERY different ways, so in an effort to keep everything fair we may be sacrificing any chance of success in those markets. That’s the primary reason behind gated communities, that and several regulatory issues in some cases making it impossible.

I have said it over and over, this is not going to be smooth, and its not going to be easy, but at least you can rest assured that it will be going in the right direction (assuming you trust my vision for this game).

WOW that was long... can this count as a Blog post...

Shinjica

9qO9nj8.jpg

Well done ryuukan, made me smile

Arveene

Neo Member
Press and hold a direction key and either the A or B button on the keyboard to guarantee a legendary!
Pokemon Placebo Mechanics

My favorite is when you open physical packs and have to make sure that the rare is the last card you see. It totally increases the chances that it's a good rare.

Where are all the other people who bought higher tiers? Did no one open packs? All I'm playing against in the proving grounds are people with starter decks.

Edit: Let's organize a mini-GAF tournament while we wait. Is there any interest?

Luigi87

My favorite is when you open physical packs and have to make sure that the rare is the last card you see. It totally increases the chances that it's a good rare.

Where are all the other people who bought higher tiers? Did no one open packs? All I'm playing against in the proving grounds are people with starter decks.

It appears that a large number of individuals are wishing to save their boosters for draft.

IllumiNate

Edit: Let's organize a mini-GAF tournament while we wait. Is there any interest?

I'm down for a tournament. I've opened around 300 boosters and 15 Primals. Add me up if you want tournament practice. Keep name illuminati

Arveene

Neo Member
I'm down for a tournament. I've opened around 300 boosters and 15 Primals. Add me up if you want tournament practice. Keep name illuminati

I've added you, good to find someone else who cracked a bunch of packs. I still have plenty for drafting too. I'll wait a couple days to see what kind of responses we get before trying to organize one. (or if someone more experienced with running something like this can do that, that would be awesome)

Edit:
Is there any way to participate in the closed beta if I haven't backed this game on kickstarter?

There have been some beta key giveaways and probably more to come once they get the server, support, and tournament issues fixed.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
FINALLY UNBANNED.

What did I miss this last month my brethren.

Aside from the emails they sent me I'm totally out of the loop. I haven't even started my beta stuff yet. King tier here FYI.

EDIT: I just noticed I didn't receive most of my kickstarter rewards, wat. I got the 4 primals and 155 boosters, but none of the other starter decks or alternate art cards etc that we're already supposed to get according to this site.

-sigh-

Ryuukan

FINALLY UNBANNED.

What did I miss this last month my brethren.

Aside from the emails they sent me I'm totally out of the loop. I haven't even started my beta stuff yet. King tier here FYI.

EDIT: I just noticed I didn't receive most of my kickstarter rewards, wat. I got the 4 primals and 155 boosters, but none of the other starter decks or alternate art cards etc that we're already supposed to get according to this site.

-sigh-

quit the client and reopen

The biggest flaw with this game's PVP system is the lack of the ability to be physically imposing to the opponent, especially in a tournament arena.

Gone will be the days where my years of gym work coupled with sleeveless shirts and menacing demeanor could make even the greatest player question every move. They spend minutes upon minutes contemplating every turn and then question why my each turn of mine would end in mere moments.

Ah, I won so many tourneys purely on unintended intimidation.

Now the world of Hex will know that I'm really just a crappy card game player.

The biggest flaw with this game's PVP system is the lack of the ability to be physically imposing to the opponent, especially in a tournament arena.

Gone will be the days where my years of gym work coupled with sleeveless shirts and menacing demeanor could make even the greatest player question every move. They spend minutes upon minutes contemplating every turn and then question why my each turn of mine would end in mere moments.

Ah, I won so many tourneys purely on unintended intimidation.

Now the world of Hex will know that I'm really just a crappy card game player.

Please post this on the CZE forums

Shoyz

Yeesh, surprised they gave out beta keys before opening the floodgates. With them charging $50 for slacker backer prior it's no surprise people are selling, and buying the keys for $25 each..

But I can wait until PVE is added, I really don't enjoy card video games with no progression.

Aselith

Yeesh, surprised they gave out beta keys before opening the floodgates. With them charging $50 for slacker backer prior it's no surprise people are selling, and buying the keys for $25 each..

But I can wait until PVE is added, I really don't enjoy card video games with no progression.

I don't thin you get anything with a beta key though right? You got quite a bit of stuff with slacker backer.

Edit:

Yeah, you got a bunch of stuff so just a beta key isn't really an apt comparison for price:

$50- DONATION – SLACKER BACKER

HEX MMO TCG alpha invite and beta invite as a special thank you for contributing .
1 Starter Deck (in addition to your free Starter Deck at account creation)
25 Set 1 Booster Packs
2 months of VIP Program (1 pack per week, access to an exclusive tournament and deck tools)
Princess Cory Promo Card
Chest’O HEX Promo Card
Digital Art Book “The Art of HEX” in PDF format

Shinjica

2 days ago i was playing against someone who used the 'merican deck.

Obviously i lost because how can i win against FREEDOM?

Shoyz

I don't thin you get anything with a beta key though right? You got quite a bit of stuff with slacker backer.

Edit:

Yeah, you got a bunch of stuff so just a beta key isn't really an apt comparison for price:

Not saying it's a good value, just that when they removed the only way to buy your way in immediately which cost $50, it's no surprise that the limited number of beta keys are selling for half that. It's just begging to have the keys squatted.

KuroNeeko

I'd love to play but I can't get it to work on my computer. I downloaded the installer from the link in the email. When I double click it, I get the circle showing that my computer is working for about a second, then it reverts back to the pointer and nothing happens.

Sucks. :/

Luigi87

I'd love to play but I can't get it to work on my computer. I downloaded the installer from the link in the email. When I double click it, I get the circle showing that my computer is working for about a second, then it reverts back to the pointer and nothing happens.

Sucks. :/

That does suck... Hm, not sure if it will work, but try right-clicking the application and Run as Administrator.

So played around with the patched Mac client on my laptop last night (I mostly play on my Windows desktop), and it seems they've pretty much brought the two clients to parity, which is nice. Given the lack of graphical intensity I was kind of surprised at the hit Hex has on the battery, but oh well.

ringlord

Been playing around with the Mac client since beta began. So I hear Mac was available toward the tail end of alpha, but I didn't hear about it at the time. Was disappointed that it took so long to get it up and running, especially since I asked during the kickstarter if they were developing the clients in parallel. But whatever, I got over it.

Really eager for the iPad client, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. They really need it to compete with the likes of HS.

Anyway, my Mac desktop is really old -- an original Core 2 Duo, and it can barely handle the client. Not surprising. I'm actually surprised it works at all. Been opening a few packs, building a few decks, but I'm hesitant to even try a game against another player due to the delays and lag in the interface I have. I played against the CPU and my 30 minute timer was down to 7 minutes by the end of the game, and I was not slow in playing my cards.

Not too upset about it since I've decided to get a new machine this year whenever the next iMac refresh comes out.

Top Bottom