• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Ryuukan

Still haven't opened a single regular pack. Tempted to sell most of them on AH and use the plat to get the cards I want. Hoping the singles market will be flooded.

StMeph

Still haven't opened a single regular pack. Tempted to sell most of them on AH and use the plat to get the cards I want. Hoping the singles market will be flooded.

I am not sure how "flooded" it will be. Pack/single prices will be lower than future sets just because of the abundance of bonus discounted packs from the initial Kickstarter rounds, but people who've opened 300-400 packs don't have full playsets of every Rare, much less Legendary. There will be tons of Commons and Uncommons, and they'll be worth peanuts, but I think people will still be after the same chase Rs and Ls.

Ryuukan

There will also be thousands of packs opened every week from free draft tickets to continue to dilute the supply until AH is done.

J0dy77

Been lurking in the thread for a while now and keeping on the progress of Hex since Alpha. The client felt awful really early on but has come a long way since then. I seem to peek in for an hour or so every once in and a while, play the AI and log off. Where can I get started learning the better cards/decks? Any good resources out there?

I hate comparing Hearthstone to Hex but there are things that HS does right that I'd love to see translated over. The card manager in hex really needs to take a queue from HS. I open up my tab and have no clue what I'm looking at. Scrolling through is a mess and having to zoom in on everything to learn the card makes the game less accessible. Hoping they eventually swap to the card book type style. I'd also like to be able to see every card in game similar to the crafting view in HS. Being able to study all the cards goes a long way. Maybe this is in game already and maybe there's a better offline resource I can use to start.

I'd like to try a couple of drafts but want to learn the game before I go wasting packs and entries.

StMeph

Been lurking in the thread for a while now and keeping on the progress of Hex since Alpha.

. . .

I'd like to try a couple of drafts but want to learn the game before I go wasting packs and entries.

Nice to see you around, Jody. Shame your PAD avatar is gone.

I agree with the UI/presentation issues, especially when compared to Hearthstone, but it's basically comparing one of CZE's weaknesses to one of Blizzard's strengths. I'm not sure how much they want to directly copy a competing game's style, but the UI definitely feels outdated and inconvenient. I hope it's something that gets improved with more time, but I don't have high hopes here.

For card viewing, I generally use http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards, but I haven't found any good strategy discussions for Constructed or Limited yet. You can tell by this thread's activity that the user base is much smaller.

Enordash

Been lurking in the thread for a while now and keeping on the progress of Hex since Alpha. The client felt awful really early on but has come a long way since then. I seem to peek in for an hour or so every once in and a while, play the AI and log off. Where can I get started learning the better cards/decks? Any good resources out there?

If you ever want to do some constructed playtesting, feel free to let me know. I'm Enordash on there as well. I'm not a Hex master by any means but I've been playing MTG on and off for 14 years and since they are so similar, I could probably provide some insight. It would also be nice to have someone to do lighthearted constructed games with. If anyone else is interested, just message me.

Is there really no current way to trade cards? I don't want to open all of my packs just to satisfy my need to construct some decks.

Shinjica

If you ever want to do some constructed playtesting, feel free to let me know. I'm Enordash on there as well. I'm not a Hex master by any means but I've been playing MTG on and off for 14 years and since they are so similar, I could probably provide some insight. It would also be nice to have someone to do lighthearted constructed games with. If anyone else is interested, just message me.

Is there really no current way to trade cards? I don't want to open all of my packs just to satisfy my need to construct some decks.

AH and trading is CZE next development step, so no

Luigi87

Oooh, wow.
Okay, so I haven't been on in a few weeks. I didn't realize the free weekly draft tickets would be added to inventory. That makes me happy. I honestly thought they would work out in a way where they were time stamped between weeks and would expire.

This is much nicer.
I mean it makes sense, but I guess it never occurred to me.

J0dy77

Nice to see you around, Jody. Shame your PAD avatar is gone.

I agree with the UI/presentation issues, especially when compared to Hearthstone, but it's basically comparing one of CZE's weaknesses to one of Blizzard's strengths. I'm not sure how much they want to directly copy a competing game's style, but the UI definitely feels outdated and inconvenient. I hope it's something that gets improved with more time, but I don't have high hopes here.

For card viewing, I generally use http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards, but I haven't found any good strategy discussions for Constructed or Limited yet. You can tell by this thread's activity that the user base is much smaller.

Burned out on PAD, great game but they haven't evolved and keep bringing the same content over and over. Now back on topic. :)

The UI has definitely improved even from Alpha but not drastically, hopefully it will. Make the cards feel more alive, easier to interface with. Thanks for the link, I'll dig into those.

HS has the advantage of the Blizzard community behind it. Resources are almost endless. Following hex subreddit you're lucky if you get one or two posts a day. I'm hoping once the game goes live the following will grow and grow.

Thanks, I'll take you up on the offer once I get some deck and card knowledge. See what I can do.

The last HS feature I'll mention and really hope they implement is a ranked and matching system. I hate going into a lobby and waiting or pinging players. I want to hit a button for a play style and be matched with someone, no nonsense.

Enordash

Thanks, I'll take you up on the offer once I get some deck and card knowledge. See what I can do.

Don't be afraid to contact me before then even. We could even play some games that are completely open with two-way communication through both of our turns. I'm all about the teaching and learning process. I have a lot to learn about the game too.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That awkward moment when you get TWO legendary eye of creation in a draft and can't use them in your deck because no other good green cards show up and you're not going green.

My friend (we live in the same condo, our rooms next to each other) and I entered our first draft in Hex ever and went into the same queue. Surprisingly we both defeated our opponents and the finals of the draft was me vs him. That was insanely awesome, especially for our first draft ever.

More to that, we naturally drafted the same thing (red/blue flight) and took the same champion (the 5 charge +3/0 dude) ! We duked it out while I blasted Red's battle theme in the house. Finally I won the third game, the two previous being pretty close. I don't think I'll ever have such a draft experience again :p

StMeph

That awkward moment when you get TWO legendary eye of creation in a draft and can't use them in your deck because no other good green cards show up and you're not going green.

Rare drafting ain't a sin. They should be interesting for Constructed.

Arveene

Neo Member

I hate comparing Hearthstone to Hex but there are things that HS does right that I'd love to see translated over. The card manager in hex really needs to take a queue from HS. I open up my tab and have no clue what I'm looking at. Scrolling through is a mess and having to zoom in on everything to learn the card makes the game less accessible. Hoping they eventually swap to the card book type style. I'd also like to be able to see every card in game similar to the crafting view in HS. Being able to study all the cards goes a long way. Maybe this is in game already and maybe there's a better offline resource I can use to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur2xma45f_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBUV_tdbDUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5YUOH0NaMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRP90IgJ-U8

This series of videos should be a pretty good watch to get you started in draft. I haven't watched it myself yet, but it should be pretty good from what I've heard. I might be repeating some stuff said in there, but I feel that knowing the card pool inside out well is huge when drafting.

Smiley90

From the patchnotes:

Known Issues

Un-assigning blockers that were forced to block a troop affected by Pheromones can cause you to lose the game. So, uhhhh, don’t do that.

:lol

Aselith

Drafted Vampire King. Ain't even mad that I lost in the first round

tumblr_lu9a1hYMir1qzgvfro1_500.jpg

Poetic

Haven't opened any Vamp Kings in draft which sucks since 75% of the time I'm in blood.

I did open an Angel of Dawn p1p1 Friday night, but I had too many drinks and don't remember the rest of the draft. Just that I insta-forfeit when draft portion ended.

Minsc

Gold Member
They should be flattered, I think. Since Hex is digital, they'll never stop it, just change it. If cards can't be "tapped" / turn 90 degrees in anything but MtG, they can just rotate 45 degrees at a skew instead or whatever. I thought that's why Hex used all new terminology as well, be curious to see someone summarize it in the thread / make a new thread.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm mostly wondering if anyone has an actual copy of this thing somewhere.
The suit includes claims for copyright, patent and trade dress infringement.
What specific things are they being sued over? I see access to district court documents is technically not free.

Also, what took them so long? Wizards sued Colossal Kaiju combat (for infringing on their "Kaijudo" mark) shortly after the kickstarter ended.

Luigi87

Reading through that, I must say...
Further, by its sales through the Kickstarter campaign, Cryptozoic has obtained in excess of two million dollars, a sum that constitutes one of a number of losses related revenues Wizards could reasonably have expected to earn.

Myself:
  • Gave Cryptozoic $250
  • Has never bought a single MtG card. Ever.

Smiley90

Reading through that, I must say...

Myself:
  • Gave Cryptozoic $250
  • Has never bought a single MtG card. Ever.

That's the same bullshit as the music industry pirating losses. "OMG PEOPLE DOWNLOAD 2 MILLION TRACKS THAT'S 50 MILLION USD WE LOST" no. it's not.

Also on how much does WotC actually own patents though? Do they have the right to have 20 life starting? 7 card hand? that light-beams connect attacking and defending card? etcetc. I have no idea.

Aselith

That's the same bullshit as the music industry pirating losses. "OMG PEOPLE DOWNLOAD 2 MILLION TRACKS THAT'S 50 MILLION USD WE LOST" no. it's not.

Also on how much does WotC actually own patents though? Do they have the right to have 20 life starting? 7 card hand? that light-beams connect attacking and defending card? etcetc. I have no idea.

You don't need to own the patent. You just need to prove that they're similar enough to be infringing on your intellectual property. A lof of stuff they're talking about is about the same in a multitude of card games so it's not really clearly infringing imo but we'll see what a judge says I guess.

I mean mulligans, really? PGA better sue WotC.

What's kind of hilarious about this is I actually spent about 200$ on Magic cards after the Hex KS. Didn't want to wait for the client and had a friend that I could play limited with.

So WotC owes CZE 200$!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Looks like WotC is suing for stealing MtG's plot too? Someone should Sue WotC for calling whatever is in MtG a plot lol.

Yep. This whole lawsuit is stupid. It'll get thrown out because, at the end of the day, Hex is essentially a video game (all digital) and there's a lot more to Hex than what Magic offers. There's definitely a lot of differentiating factors at play.

I'm just afraid that Wizards is gonna drown CZE out in legal fees from this whole charade.

Looks like they're asking for 500k so probably not? idk their financials though.

I think they are also asking for a permanent injunction as well. If Wizards has its way, Hex wouldn't exist even if it were to change.

Brakara

Yep. This whole lawsuit is stupid. It'll get thrown out because, at the end of the day, Hex is essentially a video game (all digital) and there's a lot more to Hex than what Magic offers. There's definitely a lot of differentiating factors at play.

But do the differences matter? "Oh sure we copied all that, but, hey, we added this as well, so there!" What matters is if the court finds that any copyrights and/or any patents have been infringed.

IANAL, so I've no idea if this is the case (which I suspect you neither), but the suit do make a strong argument for Wizard's case. Now, that's just one side of the story and I'm sure Cryptozoic will make a strong counter-argument to those claims. But I am pretty sure it will be more than "It's not the same because we tweaked and added some stuff."

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm just afraid that Wizards is gonna drown CZE out in legal fees from this whole charade.

I partially think this may be their angle. $500,000 is really weird for me too... I mean I've been sued for much more than that myself, over basically nothing. I don't understand why they aren't suing for much higher (like 10s of millions, usually you start super-high and settle halfway, doubly-so since they're claiming $2M+ in loses from the kickstarter sales - so their amount should be a ton higher), unless their plan is just to rack up $100,000s in lawyer fees over the years knowing they have no grounds for anything else.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks like they're asking for 500k so probably not? idk their financials though.

Actually, I finally looked at the documents and the wording is "amount exceeding $500,000" which means just that. They aren't suing for $500k, they're suing for millions (could be 2 million, could be 20 million, they don't have to say). Looks more like I expected now.

J0dy77

Part of me understands why WoTC is doing this and the other part of me is even more infuriated by the company.

There are definitely a lot of similarities between the products but Hex is not the first game to copy the model. The argument that will have to be decided is does the foundation of Magic gaming belong to WoTC. Should every FPS pay iD software because created the genre? The comparisons they did make, especially siting "murder" was probably a big problem. A lot of the little things may add up.

What I don't understand is why Hex went down the road of the MtGO design. The arching attack animation, etc. It was an awful design by WoTC and should have been done better.

My biggest frustration with this whole situation is that I would have thrown tons of money at WoTC if they just stepped up and made Hex themselves. They have a huge product and following that could have become colossal if they took their heads out of their asses. Moving to digital is a no brainer yet they insist on holding onto their current model. People have been begging them for years and now that they see the success of Hex Kickstarter and Hearthstone they're definitely scrambling.

This is a big problem for hex success, I really hope it works out well.

StMeph

cuz you post at sorcery speed

don't sue me
has
bro

Basic speed if you don't want to be sued.

This is a pretty interesting thread from 2011 on BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/735348/how-can-you-publish-a-tgc-without-being-sued-or-pa

Apparently Nintendo paid a license fee to WotC for Pokemon TCG. Konami was able to avoid it for Yu-Gi-Oh. Not sure about Blizzard with WoWTCG, but honestly a lot of smaller card games tend to use universally understood mechanics like tapping so long as they call it anything else.

Aselith

What I don't understand is why Hex went down the road of the MtGO design. The arching attack animation, etc. It was an awful design by WoTC and should have been done better.

Eh? Considering the pure number of cards you can get out on the board, it seems like the most elegant solution. Seeing the target of a 40 bunny attack with a more elaborate attack marker would have been very difficult.

Luigi87

Away from the lawsuit talk for a moment, a thought that only just occurred to me.

When the game goes open, all new players are given one free Starter Deck... Ergo, isn't it possible that a person could make four accounts, and thus get every starter deck for free by trading to their main?
I mean yes that is still vastly limiting, but just something I realized.

KHarvey16

Away from the lawsuit talk for a moment, a thought that only just occurred to me.

When the game goes open, all new players are given one free Starter Deck... Ergo, isn't it possible that a person could make four accounts, and thus get every starter deck for free by trading to their main?

Good question. They might just make it so you can't trade cards you got from a starter deck.

They've said they're untradeable.

Smiley90

In MTGO, cards from the starter deck are also untradeable.

SUE THEM WOTC.

Wait.

Top Bottom