• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Ryuukan

I was a doubter before.

BoVV_zuIAAA3v1D.png:large

rekt nonstop in draft
#theangelisreal

Much gratitude to IllumiNate for the key.

Client is up to date and now to pick a starter pack and dig in to some metagame reading!

Thank You, again, IllumiNate.

-EDIT-
The game is fantastic. Picked the Orcs and thinking about grabbing the Dwarves as well, but the humans seem to be quite nice too. I signed up for VIP after a few matches. I opened my weekly booster instead of saving for draft like a b00n, but just wanted to crack a pack...

I've had some issues with the AI just stopping in the middle of a game and never continuing, but, with humans, it seems to play well. Underlying mechanics are like a familiar song's refrain, but there's more than just a clone of a great game in a digital framework going on here.

My keep name is Markovia if anyone sees me in game and wants an easy win against a starter deck. I kind of want to get other starters just so I can try different deck ideas, Just like MtG... :)

Thanks again!

dmcAxle

Neo Member
The game is fun but I really have no incentive to play at all. As a competitive player, what am I even collecting cards for? To enter $3 constructed tournaments that take up 3 hours of my time? Proving Grounds are way too casual. I think the priorities on feature completion is way out of line. Auction House and Trading are next and that's great but after that they go straight to the other big things that they announced which are honestly ways away and too irrelevant. Something like Ranked Matchmaking that every competitive video game has is quite far away in their to-do list too according to HEXRex and that's really stupid.

The members on the official forums wouldn't understand because they only know the MTG experience but I assume a video game forum like neogaf would. It's just archaic to not have some sort of ranked matchmaking considering how much incredibly simpler it is to do than the other features announced and how efficient it is in giving players incentive to keep logging on to reach the top of the ladder. Hearthstone knew this and did it before their dungeons which are soon to release and even in early closed beta released with a hidden rating system before they created their leagues.

KHarvey16

Additional content development for a released game should be based on the desires of the fan base but build cycles during development should really be focused around the needs of the development process above all.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Like I said, It takes barely any time at all to create even with their coding inexperience and creates the most satisfying result for game activity for such little time spent. People are so obsessed over "being legend" in HS or before that being "Top 50". Same with ELO medals in LoL or any other game. More people on the game = more features tested and bugs found + more reason to buy from AH = progress on the game smoothing. More AH use also means more $$$ for them.

Like I said, It takes barely any time at all to create even with their coding inexperience and creates the most satisfying result for game activity for such little time spent. People are so obsessed over "being legend" in HS or before that being "Top 50". Same with ELO medals in LoL or any other game. More people on the game = more features tested and bugs found + more reason to buy from AH = progress on the game smoothing. More AH use also means more $$$ for them.

I don't think you're in a position to make a statement like this. Even if you have engineering experience, you don't know what their priorities are, why they are what they are, their code base, and exactly what their ideas are on ranking/ELO.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
- I do not know their priorities but I think what they have revealed of them is off.
- They don't need to express their ideas on elo/ranking because you first implement a substitute system and then further down the road implement a more complete ranked experience after a more complete game release.

I can't really see the absence of it defended if it's not being worked on. I have no idea on that either because I can't go to their Wednesday game and ask myself when they are actually open on their development. Some sort of matchmaking algorithm is something present in every modern competitive video game (except some FPS games run on user servers..) at the earliest stages of public testing. Well MTGO doesn't so grats to them on being tied with Wizards there.

Ryuukan

Considering how long it has been since draft was added in alpha, AH/trading is overdue.
Priorities? Hextcg.com, trading card game, it's in the fucking URL. Get it done.

Don't sell cheeseburgers with patties to be added in the future pls

The game as a whole is lacking in most categories. For example,I do think that the architecture of the client is solid, except AI is currently severely lacking and bugs out which makes me worry on the MMO side. However, the base mechanics and the implementation of the "just one more dueling renewable rainbow resource field strategerizing turn based collectible card game" is rock solid. So, as something that understands, presents and implements the Game, to me, as a player, it excels.

As long as the core is good, I feel the rest can be built around it. Like a good deck. Find the core mechanic and build around it. The community, in game at least, seems like a relatively healthy one too.

I expect more is coming. That is also the developers' hope, is to provide more. The fact that they received more than they thought they needed to produce the game gives me hope as well. As far as the lawsuit goes, well... I know I spent money on the game and wanted to, hoping in some small way I could support their defense.

I am looking forward to the realization of what this game can provide.

Yeah as far as features go, I'm out until AH and then even then I don't even think I'll play very much. Burned through all my KS rewards, and I just can't bring myself to spend more money on the game in this state. Development is so fucking slow, I'll just ignore the game (or try to) until it's more complete.

Kyuur

I don't know, drafting on it's own is fun enough for me to spend more money on this game. I would probably be content with just drafting Set 1 for a couple months.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm contemplating making a bunny deck revolving around oath of valor. (the give all cards named x +2/+2 while this constant is in play) card.

sounds hilarious, might work. might just try it for giggles.

Aselith

I'm contemplating making a bunny deck revolving around oath of valor. (the give all cards named x +2/+2 while this constant is in play) card.

sounds hilarious, might work. might just try it for giggles.

You mean concubunnies and then just give to the battle hoppers? Yeah that should work well. Get the battle hopper generating champ for extra wins. :)

I'm a big fan of battle hopper generating with command towers I'd add those for extra fun.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You mean concubunnies and then just give to the battle hoppers? Yeah that should work well. Get the battle hopper generating champ for extra wins. :)

I'm a big fan of battle hopper generating with command towers I'd add those for extra fun.

by bunnies I mean shin'hare :p so just pick the 0/1 bunny as the target of the oath to give all of them +2/+2 per oath in play.

Kyuur

If you use Replicator's Gambit on a Buccaneer, can you use the replicas generated to bounce back the original played Buccaneer and infinitely create Buccaneers? I am thinking of a deck that uses Replicator and Ascetic Aspirant to search out the replicated card.

Aselith

I have 4 Resurrections now so I built an Edge of Tomorrow deck. Live Die Repeat. That combined with my Surge Mechanisms to power my mana makes for a pretty hard to kill deck once things get going.

Aselith

...really? Set 2 before the game is even half complete. Doesn't compute for me.

I dunno about that. Auction house is coming within two weeks here. So for the most part PvP will be complete by then. This is a PvP set so it makes some measure of sense to keep things fresh for the beta players.

The only thing that will really be left to complete after auction house is PvE, some fluff stuff and additional features like Ai deckbuilder and stuff like that.

I dunno about that. Auction house is coming within two weeks here. So for the most part PvP will be complete by then. This is a PvP set so it makes some measure of sense to keep things fresh for the beta players.

The only thing that will really be left to complete after auction house is PvE, some fluff stuff and additional features like Ai deckbuilder and stuff like that.

Um, trading for one, and doubleback. Think about doubleback and the engineering that goes into that. Now think about CZE, they don't exactly inspire confidence with their implementation.

Also, August is really soon. It took them nearly a year to get Set 1 in and relatively bug-free.

Aselith

Um, trading for one, and doubleback. Think about doubleback and the engineering that goes into that. Now think about CZE, they don't exactly inspire confidence with their implementation.

Also, August is really soon. It took them nearly a year to get Set 1 in and relatively bug-free.

Doubleback is a promised feature but it's a fluff feature it doesn't actually effect gameplay. Trading I would assume comes with auction house but I have no idea obviously should be able at the very least to lowjack a trade through auction house.

Also, yes, development has been slow but we also just entered beta in april with tournaments and now just a few months later auction house is coming out. Trading could come at the same time as Set 2.

The reality is that lack of new cards is the surest way to kill a TCG, it's a pretty well know issue and a newbie mistake. Not a mistake I am willing to make, the core HEX community is our most valuable asset and they have been playing with the same cards for 7 months... And it will be even longer by the time set 2 is ready. I simply cannot allow this big a gap in new content. PVE is on the way and is being worked on by engineers everyday, the team that makes set 2 happen is not on PVE so it's not linked.

I appreciate the comments and I am sorry if this rubbed some of the community the wrong way, as I have said before you would be surprised how complicated even the easy looking decisions actually are...

-cory

Cory Jones response on the issue.

Kyuur

Excited for new cards! Cory is right, keeping it fresh with new content is definitely important. Trading is as well, but that's coming even sooner. I feel a little for the PvE folks, but I'm sure they're working hard. The devs seem really genuine in their passion to me.

Shinjica

Excited for new cards! Cory is right, keeping it fresh with new content is definitely important. Trading is as well, but that's coming even sooner. I feel a little for the PvE folks, but I'm sure they're working hard. The devs seem really genuine in their passion to me.

Trading will be out so soon as you expect to be. AH will have some auction fee, if they put out soon the trading, people will simply trade the card instead of putting them on the AH.

Aselith

Trading will be out so soon as you expect to be. AH will have some auction fee, if they put out soon the trading, people will simply trade the card instead of putting them on the AH.

I dunno about all that. Assuming you can't trade gold/platinum but only cards the two are going to serve different masters. Some people may not want to get other cards for their cards and some may not want to get gold/platinum for their cards. Different tools for different needs.

KuroNeeko

This game....THIS GAME!

It's been such a ball buster. I jumped in at King level and it is probably my biggest gaming regret from LAST YEAR. I don't think they made their kickstarter promises in bad faith and I do believe they are striving to create the project they pitched. That development time though - I can't believe we went from thinking we'd have Beta like 3 months or so after the KS finished!

I like PvP, but what sold me was the PvE aspect. Here we are, one year later, and there's nothing out yet. Had I known at the time, I would have jumped in at the $20 level. Yeah, TCGs are hard to make. I'm still doubtful that they'll fully realize all of the creative dreams they had at the start.

Oh well.

SZGF

Banned
Its time to get into this!

How are the draft modes? Are they fleshed out and reasonably popular? Are there any quick guides to drafting in Hex yet?

iirate

This game....THIS GAME!

It's been such a ball buster. I jumped in at King level and it is probably my biggest gaming regret from LAST YEAR. I don't think they made their kickstarter promises in bad faith and I do believe they are striving to create the project they pitched. That development time though - I can't believe we went from thinking we'd have Beta like 3 months or so after the KS finished!

I like PvP, but what sold me was the PvE aspect. Here we are, one year later, and there's nothing out yet. Had I known at the time, I would have jumped in at the $20 level. Yeah, TCGs are hard to make. I'm still doubtful that they'll fully realize all of the creative dreams they had at the start.

Oh well.

Agreed on all counts. I even bought additional pledges at the 20$ level for my friends, and they've lost interest. I still can't believe that I thought I'd be playing this in alpha before Hearthstone. I got into the HS beta week 1, and have barely looked back.

centracore

I started playing Hearthstone during the closed beta and was instantly hooked on it - I also found that I quite enjoy digital card games (who knew?). Lately I've been wanting something more in-depth than Hearthstone so I did some research and Hex looks like it might fill that role perfectly, in fact I'm pretty choked that I missed their original Kickstarter after reading about it. Anyways, I just received a key for the Hex beta, very excited to try it out!

Ryuukan

The missing features has been really depressing but Cory is 100% right. The game will get a little bit more life from Set 1 with the auction house via constructed tourneys but that won't last long. My bigger concern is the testing of Set 2 and how reliable the new cards will be at launch.

How are the draft modes? Are they fleshed out and reasonably popular? Are there any quick guides to drafting in Hex yet?

Drafting works well. Tournaments were buggy as @&#% when it first went Beta, but are pretty stable now (i've only had one tournament bug out in the last 2 weeks). I've never had to wait more than ~ 5 minutes for a draft to kick off, and the drafting interface and tournament interface are pretty logical and sensible. Just like any other community, I've had about 1/3 "chatty" opponents, 1/3 "glhf .... gg" opponents, and 1/3 who never type anything at all. No jerks so far, and only one whiner (manascrew this, if only he had drawn that, etc etc etc).

Hextcgpro isn't a horrible website to start with to learn about Hex and drafting strategies. But basically, the game plays almost exactly like Magic, so the same drafting strategies that work there work here. BREAD and all that. At least in my limited pool of drafts, I see way more people go white & blue than anything else, followed by red, then purple, with green coming up way behind in terms of frequency. But that's just my experience, and doesn't mean that's actually happening in the meta.

Top Bottom