• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Ryuukan

New spoiler!

Pretty sweet card for mono-sapphire, 1 cost counter that can put a monster of a creature up with some luck and card draw rather early, or just keep countering.

Kinda sux imo, not even a free counter for having to dump 3 cards from your hand

I honestly cannot believe they are spending time designing, selling, and marketing Hex t-shirts when the game is in development hell. I submitted a support ticket requesting a refund. We'll see what happens.

Kickstarter is a hot mess for video games lately.

Kyuur

It's just comical to think anyone would want Hex gear atm.

I haven't played the game since I got in the closed beta. It just didn't immediately grab me.

I would probably get Hex stuff if I was into gaming merchandise at all.

I've played a tournament pretty much every day or two for the past 3 weeks. There are plenty of others who play just as much in the community. I can see some people wanting stuff like this. I mean, a bunch went out to Gencon for Hex.

"Kickstarter is a hot mess for video games lately."

Divinity just came out like 3 months ago and it's the best RPG in over a decade.

And Spacebase DF-9 just got "lol launched and finished," Clang straight up cancelled, Yogventures was vaporware, and KS rewrote their terms into pretty strict requirements. Divinity is the exception, unfortunately.

I don't think the guys who work on the game are the same ones working on the shirts.

I'm sure they are not, but it's more that they are doing it at all rather than the resources expended to do it that upsets me. I think we deserve a little more info in updates about the actual progress of development instead of pimping merchandise to squeeze more money out of us.

Brakara

And Spacebase DF-9 just got "lol launched and finished," Clang straight up cancelled, Yogventures was vaporware, and KS rewrote their terms into pretty strict requirements. Divinity is the exception, unfortunately.

Wastelands 2 says hi. In fact, everything I've backed on kickstarter (10+ games) I've been happy with so far.

Aselith

Not really.

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Kickstarter/

These are all Kickstarter games and for the most part they are all decent/great with some fantastic standouts like Shovel Knight, FTL and Shadowrun Returns. For the most part, people are delivering.

There have been tons of well-received Kickstarter games in 2014 (Octodad, Divinity, Shovel Knight, Dragonfall, etc.) Spacebase didn't even have a Kickstarter. Maybe do the research before making broad, inaccurate generalizations?

There have been tons of well-received Kickstarter games in 2014 (Octodad, Divinity, Shovel Knight, Dragonfall, etc.) Spacebase didn't even have a Kickstarter. Maybe do the research before making broad, inaccurate generalizations?

Did you do any research before you picked out four games out of hundreds? I can post an equal number of games that are cancelled, undelivered, or will never fully deliver.

The VAST majority of Kickstarter games do not fully deliver. http://evilasahobby.com/2014/01/18/...game-projects-fully-deliver-to-their-backers/

You would most likely be able to get a direct refund from CZE, they have refunded people in the past.

Refund request denied:

I have to ask you for understanding in this matter as this process needed to be closed. It is connected with all the liabilities which Cryptozoic has to accomplish in connection with Kickstarter bonuses. Restart of this process could have a huge and bad impact on this and may affect many other players.

Yeah, it's connected with "liabilities" all right.

Aselith

Refund request denied:

Yeah, it's connected with "liabilities" all right.

That's unfortunate sorry to hear that and the reason is awful :/

Did you do any research before you picked out four games out of hundreds? I can post an equal number of games that are cancelled, undelivered, or will never fully deliver.

The VAST majority of Kickstarter games do not fully deliver. http://evilasahobby.com/2014/01/18/...game-projects-fully-deliver-to-their-backers/

This guy's methodology is suspect. I took a look at the over 1 million dollar tier of only videogames this is important to note since games also includes boardgames so maybe he was looking at that also. In any case, looking at only videogames and only prior to 2012 as he noted he did. 5 out of 11 have been fully delivered. Of the remaining 6, at least 4 have enough content or the devs have enough industry experience out to believe they will deliver fully.

The author notes about double the undelivered rate 1% vs 2% so clearly those figures are off.

Here was the list

Ouya - delivered
Shadowrun Returns - Delivered
Planetary Annihilation - Delivered
Oculus Rift - Delivered
Wasteland 2 - Out now!
Project Eternity - Active Development - Beta out
Double Fine Adventure - Part 1 Delivered Active development
Elite Dangerous - Active development - Beta out
Hex - "active" development alpha delivered
Homestuck Adventures - Indeterminable
Star Citizen - Active Development - Alpha content available

His study was done a while ago obviously a while ago so things have changed with games launching but his numbers don't really add up so there is reason to suspect his other numbers also. He's counting at lot of stuff as undelivered that there is no reason to beleive won't deliver. A delayed product is not an undelivered product.

This guy's methodology stinks, at least for the purpose of establishing the point you're making. He's measuring 100% complete delivery, rather than looking holistically at the current state of each project; all that really does is establish that Kickstarter projects deliver late (which is pretty much inarguable; every game project, more or less, delivers months or years after its original "target" date.)

Stumpokapow put together a significantly more useful analysis of all game Kickstarters that hit $100k+ funding, based on a risk analysis for each one successfully delivering. The portion of projects in that range that actually fail overall is quite small; most projects ultimately deliver, just late and with some changes in the details of scope or delivery.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121453909&postcount=15477
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121462132&postcount=15570

Nobody is going to claim crowdfunded projects are without risk, or that there haven't been some spectacular failures, but the chances of eventually getting what you paid for with a successfully funded project are actually quite solid.

(And again, it helps for this analysis to actually know what is and is not a Kickstarter project.)

KuroNeeko

Really is amazing how much one's opinion can change so much about a game they were so hyped about.

If I could still get a refund from this game, I'd do it without a second thought and just forget about it until PvE comes out.

As is, I don't know if we'll ever see the game full realized. I imagine they're making money, but the vibe I get from the game is that it's in trouble. I don't really have anything to back that feeling up, it's just my take on the game.

I hope it turns out, but come the 30th they'll be roughly a year behind schedule.

Aselith

Really is amazing how much one's opinion can change so much about a game they were so hyped about.

If I could still get a refund from this game, I'd do it without a second thought and just forget about it until PvE comes out.

As is, I don't know if we'll ever see the game full realized. I imagine they're making money, but the vibe I get from the game is that it's in trouble. I don't really have anything to back that feeling up, it's just my take on the game.

I hope it turns out, but come the 30th they'll be roughly a year behind schedule.

This is extremely normal for Kickstarters. A year behind is just about right for launch so they're definitely behind schedule even by Kickstarter terms but even very old school seasoned vets aren't hitting their target dates.

That's not to say there's nothing to worry about here but delays are fairly normal with Kickstarters and frankly with even AAA development.

KuroNeeko

This is extremely normal for Kickstarters. A year behind is just about right for launch so they're definitely behind schedule even by Kickstarter terms but even very old school seasoned vets aren't hitting their target dates.

That's not to say there's nothing to worry about here but delays are fairly normal with Kickstarters and frankly with even AAA development.

I get what you're saying, but no game I've ever worked on has been a year behind target. The point being that the developers set realistic goals and recognize what is needed to reach those goals.

Which makes me wonder, how could a developer who was so utterly clueless about their targets possibly deliver on an already ambitious project? Right now, it's just an online card game that (as of set 1) borrows heavily from another card game that I won't name right now.

Some delay is inevitable, but a year is a long time to wait especially if you are in it for the PvE. I've written off the money I put on the game and will just wait to be pleasantly surprised, but the hype and enthusiasm is gone.

Ryuukan

I get what you're saying, but no game I've ever worked on has been a year behind target. The point being that the developers set realistic goals and recognize what is needed to reach those goals.

Which makes me wonder, how could a developer who was so utterly clueless about their targets possibly deliver on an already ambitious project? Right now, it's just an online card game that (as of set 1) borrows heavily from another card game that I won't name right now.

Some delay is inevitable, but a year is a long time to wait especially if you are in it for the PvE. I've written off the money I put on the game and will just wait to be pleasantly surprised, but the hype and enthusiasm is gone.

The original targets in the Kickstarter were made up.

On the other hand, I can't really say they were being dishonest as they did stream the current state of the client's progress live during the Kickstarter.

The original targets in the Kickstarter were made up.

On the other hand, I can't really say they were being dishonest as they did stream the current state of the client's progress live during the Kickstarter.

In order to accept that conclusion, you would have to believe that CZE was so inept that they honestly thought they could finish the game in the timeline they provided, and therefore the timeline was an honest mistake rather than dishonest marketing. As you say, the state of the game during live stream told you, as an outsider, that it was an impossible goal, but CZE, with full knowledge and not just a small, controlled live stream demo, continued to push the "just a little polish" October release narrative.

I have a hard time believing that an insider working on the game for CZE looked at that shit pile of a client and thought, in good faith, that they could finish the game in that timeline. There comes a time where optimism equals insanity, which is the only other scenario here. Either CZE thought they could make the deadline despite all evidence being to the contrary, or they thought they could not make it but continued to throw coal into the hype train.

Neither scenario is good for CZE--abject stupidity or dishonesty.

Kyuur

Downloading right now! Hooray for updates.

The new CM putting in some work with an actual bug tracker on the forums too. Thank god.

Edit:

Well the new client is gorgeous, but holyyyy shit CZE.

How do you introduce a bug that lets you play two shards at once. It's basic authoritative server stuff to prevent that. My guess is we'll be getting a hotfix patch tomorrow.

Kyuur

AI is unplayable now too, a single turn takes over a minute

it hasn't improved much either

I'm not sure if it's the AI that is lagging, or the servers in general. I've seen chat take forever to update as well.

Let's hope for a quick patch and not a patch reversion that makes us wait for another month or two. :/

Really like the new client. Actually looks like a legitimate game now. The ingame board though however is pretty horrendous. Everything is so damn big and gross. Hopefully some sort of bug.

Obviously not surprised at the shit show of bugs and server issues.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, I guess.

Does anyone know why Cory publicly banned someone on the forums? I didn't see what was said, but nothing he has said in the past has really been that inflammatory. He was updating people on the law suit after I stopped doing it. Looks like he made some joke comment to that Colin character and Cory posts "I'm done with you" and bans him. The thread where people were asking what he did has been locked.

Posts 17 and 18 of this thread: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=38278

Kyuur

New update at the month according to their most recent blog post. Assuming that doesn't move, Open Beta or Set 2? :)

Aselith

Interesting, it used to say "next major content patch" but they changed for wording.

It's changed so that when it's a written update with Set 2 spoilers and new coffee mug designs people won't be as pissed and the Don Quixotes of the official forums have something to defend not that they need it.

Kyuur

They finally fixed Relentless Corruption. Hopefully tournaments will be back up this week so I can resume playing.

Ryuukan

They finally fixed Relentless Corruption. Hopefully tournaments will be back up this week so I can resume playing.

The server is still lagging out and all cards with counters seem to be busted. I think it will be next week at best.

Really feels like they pushed the big patch out just to meet some abstract September deadline, knowing full well it was unplayable.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So I played a bit, saw the starter trials. Played all of them. God, the AI is still atrociously bad. They use their hero power every time possible, even when there's only my things out to buff. so bad.

get that PvE content done already, I have so many chests in my inventory that need opening.

KuroNeeko

So I played a bit, saw the starter trials. Played all of them. God, the AI is still atrociously bad. They use their hero power every time possible, even when there's only my things out to buff. so bad.

get that PvE content done already, I have so many chests in my inventory that need opening.

As much as I want PvE, it's like, well, what's the point? I feel like you can only give the computer so many advantages but if the AI isn't up to snuff then you're just playing goldfish.

Ryuukan

tourneys seem to be stable now

BzmCbxEIIAAvOEi.png:large

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
think of all the chests you can sink gold into that you'll be able to open in 2016

Top Bottom