• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Good lord this is getting bad. The forums are bringing that fire, though, even from the most ardent defenders. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Ryuukan

Good lord this is getting bad. The forums are bringing that fire, though, even from the most ardent defenders. Hopefully we hear something soon.

The client is worse than it was 3 months ago but open beta is next?

I even wonder about the Set 2 spoilers, how much is going to change by the time its in the client? Set 1 had major changes only 2 weeks before beta.

The client is worse than it was 3 months ago but open beta is next?

I even wonder about the Set 2 spoilers, how much is going to change by the time its in the client? Set 1 had major changes only 2 weeks before beta.

Honestly the fact that Set 2 was scheduled for August, announced on a post on the website (ie. easily viewable from anyone interested in the game), and it's now 1 week from the end of the month and we literally haven't heard a word about it's release capsulizes how poor CZE is at communication.

I always ragged on them for their shitty comms with backers, but at least they already had our money. There are people interested in the game who now get a first hand look at how poorly they manage any sort of release or announcement.

Aselith

He isn't wrong. Copying a business model that might not fit your project simply because it worked well elsewhere is foolish. Hex's model is different than most free to play games simply because it is almost 2 games on it's own (PvP and PvE) with a currency system that is supposed to 'flow' between them. Can't think of anything else like that on the market.

Except they are releasing a game without a free 2 play portion being active into open beta. Seems like a recipe for disaster. They should just open the closed beta by giving out more and more keys and wait for PvE to open it up.

Ryuukan

Except they are releasing a game without a free 2 play portion being active into open beta. Seems like a recipe for disaster. They should just open the closed beta by giving out more and more keys and wait for PvE to open it up.

complete speculation but I honestly feel 9 out of 10 people interested in hex (outside the current userbase) think its a MTG version of Hearthstone that they can play all day for free and get the cards they want. They're briefly reading hextcg.com and not digging through a year of Kickstarter updates or hundreds of forum threads.

Kyuur

complete speculation but I honestly feel 9 out of 10 people interested in hex (outside the current userbase) think its a MTG version of Hearthstone that they can play all day for free and get the cards they want. They're briefly reading hextcg.com and not digging through a year of Kickstarter updates or hundreds of forum threads.

Yep. Whenever I play I see a number of people log in and ask how they can earn more PVP cards.

Aselith

The big problem for them is that if they go open they need to either give people a way to earn stuff without paying which would mean I'm assuming gold rewards for proving ground since they probably don't want to set an expectation of card or plat drops in that mode. I would be ok with that actually since I have like 90 (probably more) chests or something to open lol

Even the CZE white knights are getting upset over there. People went to GenCon to get promo codes for the game and come home to find out the codes aren't usable.

They still don't have a community manager, which is insane. The rate at which they keep releasing these fuck ups is bad, but having no one there to spin doctor it only makes it worse. People are free to believe whatever they want because there is nothing more than "when it's ready" and "trust us" coming from CZE. That's not good enough for a kickstarter project that took millions of dollars from fans. I expected more.

I'm starting to wonder what would happen if I contacted kickstarter and asked for my money back. CZE could claim they are going to deliver for perpetuity.

Aselith

Even the CZE white knights are getting upset over there. People went to GenCon to get promo codes for the game and come home to find out the codes aren't usable.

They still don't have a community manager, which is insane. The rate at which they keep releasing these fuck ups is bad, but having no one there to spin doctor it only makes it worse. People are free to believe whatever they want because there is nothing more than "when it's ready" and "trust us" coming from CZE. That's not good enough for a kickstarter project that took millions of dollars from fans. I expected more.

I'm starting to wonder what would happen if I contacted kickstarter and asked for my money back. CZE could claim they are going to deliver for perpetuity.

You would most likely be able to get a direct refund from CZE, they have refunded people in the past.

You would most likely be able to get a direct refund from CZE, they have refunded people in the past.

Maybe. They put a cut off date on issuing refunds back when they completely abandoned the stack mechanics because they could not get it to work. I doubt they can open the floodgates for refunds now, especially with Wizards trying to legally destroy them. Too many people would jump ship.

I feel like an idiot for trusting them. I bought into that kickstarter hook, line, and sinker, thinking the development could not possibly go this badly. The game was supposed to launch last October, and now we have half the game, buggy as hell, in closed beta nearly a year after the launch target.

I step back for a few months, come back, and the game is somehow worse.

Starting to get nervous about this thing, which is a shame since I actually really like (most, screw Zombie Plague or whatever it's called) of the Set 1 gameplay. Still, PvE needs to happen sooner rather than later; or at the very least they should really institute some way to earn Platinum during the beta. Take it out for full launch, but for crying out loud, it's pretty much fully monetized at this point and at least half of the game is simply absent.

Aselith

Starting to get nervous about this thing, which is a shame since I actually really like (most, screw Zombie Plague or whatever it's called) of the Set 1 gameplay. Still, PvE needs to happen sooner rather than later; or at the very least they should really institute some way to earn Platinum during the beta. Take it out for full launch, but for crying out loud, it's pretty much fully monetized at this point and at least half of the game is simply absent.

Don't worry PvE is coming!

After Open Beta

And Gen Con rewards

And Set 2

And Release

And Set 3

Cory will bequeath PvE to us in his will

We'll have to make it ourselves

Xater

Well I can also tell that beyond putting in some money to give it an honest shot I a not continuing to play it because of that. Having a "F2P" title that basically let's you not play for free is the dumbest thing ever. If they ever turn on the possibility to earn stuff through play I might return.

Oh yeah this is 100% true. There are threads every day on the forums from new players confused why you can't earn anything.

Xater

Yeah, the only reason I was interested in it is because it seemed like an easier to get into version of MTG.

Yeah I like their gameplay, but I think their business model is bullshit. If you go this round just make it a digital LCG like the game from FFG that would be better.

Ryuukan

Yeah I like their gameplay, but I think their business model is bullshit. If you go this round just make it a digital LCG like the game from FFG that would be better.

Their business model is sound but their software development has made it nearly unfeasible

I was just looking back at the kickstarter page. They promised a lot of things that we have heard absolutely nothing about, most of them promised to be completed "at launch," and this was back when launch was scheduled for October of 2013.

--Authenticator support
--Keep Defense mode
--AI deck building tool
--Replay system
--Motion comics
--Tablet support
--Codex Cryptozoia
--Hex novel by "a premier fantasy writer"
--Unique sounds and particle effects on cards
--Hexcon

All of these things were promised when they claimed they needed money just for "the final push" to "cross the finish line." There is no possible way a rational mind would have thought all of these things were going to be ready for a launch in October of 2013 if they had seen what state the software was in when we saw it in alpha/beta, let alone what it looked like behind the scenes during the kickstarter. CZE had to know when they made these promises that it was going to be impossible to keep them. The project was funded in June, and launch was projected for four months later.

I feel more and more like I was sold a bill of goods.

Kyuur

The target date they set is the absolute worst thing they did. I looked it up only recently after seeing some of these complaints and laughed out loud. They should have set the target for 2015. But I do believe that those features will make it into the game for launch, just a matter of when launch is.

As a wise man once said,

iJcb9RjiJ5pt1.gif

I do feel bad for the backers who are waiting on PvE, but as a non-backer beta player I couldn't be happier with the game right now. Every feature is just something that adds onto it for me. I think you should just look into getting a refund if you're that upset Gatticus.

Also I should mention that cards do have unique sounds.

The date doesn't bother me that much. I mean it's stupid, and they're obviously insanely terrible at giving any ETAs.

What bothers me more is the "game is almost done", "just new a few more bucks to finish it". That is a complete and utter lie. The game engine wasn't even built yet.

Ryuukan

The date doesn't bother me that much. I mean it's stupid, and they're obviously insanely terrible at giving any ETAs.

What bothers me more is the "game is almost done", "just new a few more bucks to finish it". That is a complete and utter lie. The game engine wasn't even built yet.

That didnt bother me as much since they did stream what they actually had working during the kickstarter. It was loaded with flaws for everyone to see.

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/coryhudsonjones/status/504503296862986240

thank god for the end of marketing a game instead of making it

this tweet should be pinned on the front of hextcg.com

Aselith

I was just looking back at the kickstarter page. They promised a lot of things that we have heard absolutely nothing about, most of them promised to be completed "at launch," and this was back when launch was scheduled for October of 2013.

--Authenticator support
--Keep Defense mode
--AI deck building tool
--Replay system
--Motion comics
--Tablet support
--Codex Cryptozoia
--Hex novel by "a premier fantasy writer"
--Unique sounds and particle effects on cards
--Hexcon

All of these things were promised when they claimed they needed money just for "the final push" to "cross the finish line." There is no possible way a rational mind would have thought all of these things were going to be ready for a launch in October of 2013 if they had seen what state the software was in when we saw it in alpha/beta, let alone what it looked like behind the scenes during the kickstarter. CZE had to know when they made these promises that it was going to be impossible to keep them. The project was funded in June, and launch was projected for four months later.

I feel more and more like I was sold a bill of goods.

They have put out some updates on the novel. I'm assuming that is getting done because it doesn't require game development skills but yes.

JesseZao

I played through the tutorial match. Game seems like the heroes of newerth of tcgs. Good clone, but rough around the edges. Still looking forward to its future, but mostly from the f2p angle backers hate to hear about.

The home screen UI is pretty poorly laid out, lol. That postage stamp chat box.

Kyuur

I played through the tutorial match. Game seems like the heroes of newerth of tcgs. Good clone, but rough around the edges. Still looking forward to its future, but mostly from the f2p angle backers hate to hear about.

You can increase it's size, but it reverts whenever you logout. :/

Ryuukan

Presumably this will be resolved in the delayed UI update that is coming "soon"

Colby

Has anyone gotten a refund? This was my first KickStarter and I dropped a large chunk of money on the game. I never opened my free packs or anything. I'm gonna try to email around and see what I can do, but I was wondering if anyone else in the thread has already accomplished getting a refund.

Aselith

That didnt bother me as much since they did stream what they actually had working during the kickstarter. It was loaded with flaws for everyone to see.

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/coryhudsonjones/status/504503296862986240

thank god for the end of marketing a game instead of making it

this tweet should be pinned on the front of hextcg.com

k well no more going on to Cory's twitter at work. I scrolled down and one of the pictures i believe it was someone's user icon was very very NSFW

Has anyone gotten a refund? This was my first KickStarter and I dropped a large chunk of money on the game. I never opened my free packs or anything. I'm gonna try to email around and see what I can do, but I was wondering if anyone else in the thread has already accomplished getting a refund.

They were voluntarily giving refunds for a while, but then claimed they were refusing any more refunds because people should "know what the game is about" by then. I believe that was in January.

Somewhere on the Hex forums you can find the post with the dates. I would be shocked if they still gave them out now. The game is in disarray and they need cash to fight off Wizards. I'd love to get my $250 back, but I'm not holdin my breath.

Whooter

Wow, I just got a closed beta invite, and I've been enjoying what's there, but reading this thread has made me glad I didn't drop any $ on the KS.

I hope the people that did invest start seeing some real return on their investment, soon...

Aselith

Wow, I just got a closed beta invite, and I've been enjoying what's there, but reading this thread has made me glad I didn't drop any $ on the KS.

I hope the people that did invest start seeing some real return on their investment, soon...

It's not all bad. The game that's there is great, it's just been really slow progress as far as development goes. I mean frankly I'm more interested in PvP so getting set 1 and set 2 are worth it to me for my small investment. I put in 50 and have gotten my moneys worth but it still sucks that development has been as it has been.

Just wanna open these chests though . /whimper :(

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Their business model is sound but their software development has made it nearly unfeasible

Their business model is REALLY good (so much value is in it) -- the problems are, like you said, coming from software development. Cryptozoic hasn't really had much experience developing video games before this one. I'm still hopeful that this game will become something special eventually. Assuming the lawsuit stuff turns out alright and they hire some more programmers and whatnot.

duppolo

Im in the beta and i really like it, but i like to play free to play game without investing money and besides the 3 game vs pc i cant obtain any other cards? how can i keep playing this?

Really wish I could get a refund. Had a bad feeling at the cut off date that they had no idea what they were doing when they were fucking around with the stack, upkeep phase and non targeted triggered effects. Should have trusted my gut feeling, the project right now considering the timetable is a complete mess. Set2 before PvE? Open beta before PvE? The game is so far off from the original 2013 release date (and let's not forget the mobile versions! I don't think they will ever come out) it's just pathetic.

Caffeine

damn i just finally look at what this game is about today because ive seen the thread at the top a few times and it looks cool hoping to check it out once an open beta starts.

sorry for the people who payed and are not getting what they wanted.

Ryuukan

There will eventually be a free2play experience in the game. Its looking like end of the year for the first piece of it at best.

where can i see if i have free pass? btw if i play with people who spend money i will loose...so no cards..i feel like to enjoy this game we must spend a lot of money

Just pop into the tournament section and try to get into a draft; if you don't have a pass, it'll ask you for money.

Proven

Ugh. If that's the case, that was when Wizards was contacting them demanding a settlement or licensing deal. Dat timing.

The court stuff happened because they went into closed beta, not the other way around. Or I'm reading your post wrong.

I was one of those that went and got a refund before that cut off date. I realized I wasn't going to be interested enough in the PvP and the PvE wasn't close anyhow.

Kyuur

where can i see if i have free pass? btw if i play with people who spend money i will loose...so no cards..i feel like to enjoy this game we must spend a lot of money

Draft is based purely on skill and a little luck, as is Sealed. If you're good at it you can continue to play in either format for free too (maybe only Draft, been a while since I looked at Sealed payouts). The only format you have to spend lots of $$$ to compete in is Constructed.

If you're lucky you might be able to snag a win with a starter deck in the huge tournament this Saturday and get a pack (and if it crashes and burns again, they'll give you free tournament tickets or packs as compensation anyways!).

Kyuur

You're right. I also doubt it will be easy to get enough packs/plat to do tournaments through PvE when it comes out. At the most, it will probably supplement paying for them a little bit. I was just pointing out that you're not competing based on the amount of money spent when you join those kind of tournies.

New spoiler!

Very cool card. No blocking is a fine enough trade off for me for it to have 2 cost. Another nice addition to BR aggro or even burn.

Top Bottom