• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

esterk

Anyone know if there is a difference between making less larger maps as opposed to more smaller maps? In terms of filesize or anything?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Anyone know if there is a difference between making less larger maps as opposed to more smaller maps? In terms of filesize or anything?

A small difference, but it's very ministerial as in the end the maps are more data, and data takes up very little space. It can effect performance on that map depending on a lot of factors, but it will do very little to file size.

legacyzero

Banned
Think I might be getting closer to a better character model...

iqMiygLKlTbcR.png

ibnmr43sXymMJJ.png

esterk

A small difference, but it's very ministerial as in the end the maps are more data, and data takes up very little space. It can effect performance on that map depending on a lot of factors, but it will do very little to file size.
Hm...okay. I don't want a lot of slowdown to occur by having too large of a map.

ZServ

Anyone know how to make weapons and stuff apply negative stuff to the user? I.E. a weapon that causes bleed on enemies and the user?

Dusk Golem

About to go on a trip this weekend, but another prize update. I am still collecting games, and some more of the 'big' games still need to be collected, but as of now here's what I got for the games that will be given to the 13 winners.

As a reminder, the prizes will be given like this:

1st place will receive 25% of the games in the pool; and be given first pickings of 10 games from the list of their choice.
2nd place will receive 20% of the games in the pool; and be given second pickings of 9 games from the list of their choice.
3rd place will receive 15% of the games in the pool; and be given third pickings of 8 games from the list of their choice.
4th place will receive 10% of the games in the pool; and be given fourth pickings of 7 games from the list of their choice.
5th place will receive 7% of the games in the pool; and be given fifth pickings of 6 games from the list of their choice.
6th place will receive 6% of the games in the pool; and be given sixth pickings of 5 games from the list of their choice.
7th place will receive 5% of the games in the pool; and be given seventh pickings of 4 games from the list of their choice.
8th place will receive 4% of the games in the pool; and be given eighth pickings of 3 games from the list of their choice.
9th place will receive 3% of the games in the pool; and be given ninth pickings of 2 games from the list of their choice.
10th place will receive 2% of the games in the pool; and be given tenth pickings of 2 games from the list of their choice.
11th place will receive 1% of the games in the pool; and be given eleventh pickings of 1 game from the list of their choice.
12th place will receive 1% of the games in the pool; and be given twelfth pickings of 1 game from the list of their choice.
13th place will receive 1% of the games in the pool; and be given thirteenth pickings of 1 game from the list of their choice.

After the pickings, it'll go from 1st to 13th place winner being able to choose the rest of their games from the games on the list, So first place after all the pickings would be able to pick the rest of the games they want from the list, then 2nd, then 3rd, and finally 13th with the last games left.

I get to collect games for them until September, still a lot to buy (both individually and bundle-wise), I want to provide 250-300 games at least for the winners.

(Long list incoming, currently we have about 132 games, list will grow substantially in the upcoming months)

99 Levels to Hell
Abyss The Wraiths of Eden
Adventure Park
Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition
Alien Zombie Megadeath
Alpha Protocol
A New Beginning Final Cut
Anna Extended Edition
Anodyne
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Astro Tripper
Aura Fate of the Ages
Bardbarian
The Basement Collection
Binary Domain + All DLC
Blood Knight:
Bridge Constructor
Bully Scholarship Edition
Capsized
The Cat Lady
Chaser
Chess The Gathering
Clive Barkers Jericho
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising:
Combat Wings Battle of Britain
Condemned Criminal Origins
Croixleur Sigma
CT Special Forces
CT Special Forces Fire for Effect
Dark Fall Lost Souls
Dark Shadows Army of Evil
Day One Garry's Incident
Deadly 30
Dead Space Pack (Dead Space 1+2)
Deathtrap Dungeon
Dementium II HD
Doc Clock Sandwich of Time
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project
Edna & Harvey Harvey's New Eyes
Enslaved Odyssey to the West Premium Edition
Face Noir
Fallout New Vegas
FEZ
The First Templar
The Forest
Fortix 2
FTL Faster Than Light
Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD
Gateways
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
Gomo
Gray Matter
Guardians of Middle-Earth & Smaug's Treasure DLC
Guilty Gear Isuka
Gun Metal
Gun Monkeys
Half Minute Hero
Hard Reset Extended Edition
Hotel Collector's Edition:
How to Survive
Huntsman The Orphanage
Infinite Space III Sea of Stars
Inquisitor Deluxe Edition
Ion Assault
Jack Lumber
Jet Set Radio
Jets'n'Guns Gold
Journey Down Deep
Journey of a Roach
LA Noire Complete
Legend of Dungeon
Little Inferno
Little Racers STREET
The Longest Journey
Lume
Manhunt
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3 & Rockstar Season Pass
Metal Planet
Metro 2033, Risen, & Sacred Citadel (One Key)
Miasmata
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion
Midnight Club II
Not The Robots
Obulis
Oniken
Party of Sin
Planets Under Attack
QuestRun
Rescue Everday Heroes US Edition
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil Revelations
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken
Rock of Ages
Rune Classic
Sacraboar
Sanctum 2
Sang-Froid Tales of Werewolves
Serious Sam 3 BFE
Soulbringer
Space Trader Merchant Marine
Spec-Ops The Line
Strategic War in Europe
State of Decay
Street Racing Syndicate
Strike Suit Zero
Subject 9
Super Killer Hornet Resurrection
Survivor Squad
Syberia II
Thief Gold
Thief II The Metal Age
Thief Deadly Shadows
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Tower Wars
Unearthed Trail of Ibn Battuta Episode 1 Gold Edition
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Velvet Assassin
Vitrum
VVVVVV
Wanderlust: Rebirth
Weird Worlds Return to Infinite Space
White Noise Online
Woodle Tree Adventures
X-Blades
Zach Zero
Zeno Clash 2
Zooloretto

Definitely several titles I want to get in there still, and before September I want to make each game links to the game's store page so that people can tell what each game is easily.

L Thammy

I wonder if there will even be thirteen finished entries? If anyone isn't able to finish their game on time, they should probably submit it anyway.

Dusk Golem

I wonder if there will even be thirteen finished entries? If anyone isn't able to finish their game on time, they should probably submit it anyway.
We'll have to see, but I have a good feeling. I'm interested to see and play people's games, and I know I'll have a small something.

Capra

I'm designing mine with timeframe limitations in mind, but if worst comes to worst my backup plan is to get as much done as I can and then figure out some way to just skip to the end. My game is pretty meta already so it might make for a good joke - "Wow, it seems like it should've taken us a LOT longer to get here!"... or something.

Actually now that I think about it I might just end up doing that anyway in case I decide to build on it later.

Having attempted RPG Maker games before and failed, that's something I've been extremely cognizant about right from the beginning.

My game is specifically designed around my very limited time schedule and the fact that if I get too ambitious it won't get finished. That is, every choice I made was weighed with a "Can I actually finish this in the time limit" follow-up question.

But that doesn't mean it will be bad...I'm taking a very...unique approach with my game that I can't wait to share. ;-)

esterk

Having attempted RPG Maker games before and failed, that's something I've been extremely cognizant about right from the beginning.

My game is specifically designed around my very limited time schedule and the fact that if I get too ambitious it won't get finished. That is, every choice I made was weighed with a "Can I actually finish this in the time limit" follow-up question.

But that doesn't mean it will be bad...I'm taking a very...unique approach with my game that I can't wait to share. ;-)
I haven't been thinking this way and I feel like my game is going to crush me beneath its ambition. But I'm determined to get it finished, so I'll definitely be there at the finish line :)

Honestly the biggest hurdle for me is finding which tile to use for interior decorating. I mean i've got the future pack loaded with 5 sets but I end up spending 25 minutes doing one corner of a room because I keep trying all these variations. My most recent breakthrough was "omg I can just not have tiles to represent walls between rooms I am so fucking stupid why didn't I notice this sooner".

:lol

Dusk Golem

Honestly, I've hardly began working on my game, June's been busy. However, I have a lot of time in July, and I'm not concerned at all with how much time I have. I've done short RPG Maker games with completely original graphics, music, sound effects, and some coding in 36 hours before for Ludum Dare a couple times, and my idea I know how to do. It's just for fun anyways for me, and another opportunity for practice.

The tips I have mostly come down to trying to keep the idea reasonable with how much time you have, and I suggest if pushing the time limit, in the last week focus completely on trying to wrap up your game if you haven't already.

The part I'm both most excited about and most apprehensive about on my project is spriting and designing my location. Due to the type of games I make, I usually have to sprite things myself to get a certain tone and style for everything and the weird things I conjure up in my head.

I hope any Junior Member who joined GAF to participate in this competition has done so already, because a Junior Member that joins GAF from now on will no longer be eligible for the $100 grand prize because of the "GAF Members only" clause.

Remember, the deadline to become a regular GAF Member is September 11th at 11:59 PM PST.

LuffyZoro

I've barely worked on my game, because honestly I don't really have any interesting gameplay mechanics or story. I need something to keep my interest.

ZServ

I hope any Junior Member who joined GAF to participate in this competition has done so already, because a Junior Member that joins GAF from now on will no longer be eligible for the $100 grand prize because of the "GAF Members only" clause.

Remember, the deadline to become a regular GAF Member is September 11th at 11:59 PM PST.

Meh. I'm not even sure I care about that anymore since it requires spamming posts since I don't particularly like posting, as I'm a bit of a nobody. But, still good to know for the others.

I've barely worked on my game, because honestly I don't really have any interesting gameplay mechanics or story. I need something to keep my interest.

I worked backwards. It needs to be short, and work within the engine. So, assuming it's an RPG, how does a short RPG work? That figured out the limitations, and then constructing a narrative that enforced those walls on a logical basis fell in place.

Meh. I'm not even sure I care about that anymore since it requires spamming posts since I don't particularly like posting, as I'm a bit of a nobody. But, still good to know for the others.

I worked backwards. It needs to be short, and work within the engine. So, assuming it's an RPG, how does a short RPG work? That figured out the limitations, and then constructing a narrative that enforced those walls on a logical basis fell in place.

...It's three months from now.

You have 172 posts. You need 300 to be a regular member.

All you have to do is make at least two posts a day and you'll be fine. I'm not sure two posts a day is exactly "spamming." :p

ZServ

...It's three months from now.

You have 172 posts. You need 300 to be a regular member.

All you have to do is make at least two posts a day and you'll be fine. I'm not sure two posts a day is exactly "spamming." :p

AFAIK it's not automatic. But, alrighty. For you, I'll try.

IN OTHER REGARDS does anyone know how to handle modular arithmetic in this? for variables anyway?

saturnine

this friendly competition is a great idea, if some of the contestants want some specific kind of music I would gladly write something ! composing around an idea is a great exercise for me.

Anteo

Welp, I'm still messing with the code to make a battle system of my liking and learning ruby at the same time. The base system is so bad.. posion damage hits for %? Regen at the end of the turn doesnt show any animation or even the numbers changing? Sigh.. at this rate I will never start with the actual game lol. Now to figure out how to deal damage with some code...

Caerith

Well, throwing my hat in the ring. I started screwing around with RPG Maker about a week ago, but with no skills, no experience, and no ideas.

Now, I have half an idea.

I've also started working on my game's music in MuseScore. I'm not really a musician so I can't vouch for it being better or worse than anything else, but it seems fully featured and it's definitely free (which is the best feature you can ask for).

(What's a non-musician doing making music? Trying his hand at variations of a public domain work.)

3rd tab. "Character ___ is facing ___." Player, then your direction. Then just make sure your actual opening part of the event is within the conditional branch and not elsewhere.

Ahh for some reason I could not get the event within the conditional branch so I just copied it and pasted it in there. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Just two more screens. I finally got my main character down too.

Axgg0Kg.png

pv1T0Qz.png

belushy

Banned
Haven't even really messed with the mechanics of the engine yet because I kind of want to get my art style down, but I just suck with pixel art so much. Can't even make a basic dirt texture for my tileset that I feel good about.

originalself

Neo Member
Well I have my small island world map done and my ship at sea done. I think it looks good on the parallax with it moving.
ship1.jpg

world1.jpg

Now I need to start work on my towns.

L Thammy

An idea isn't hard to get. Take a game that you've played before and ask yourself how you'd improve it. Think of a game you wanted to play but haven't gotten around to, then try to think of what it could be like. Think of a movie or book that could be made into a solid RPG but hasn't yet.

If you don't think the idea is enough as is, you can refine it. Decide on what you want from the project, then build on your idea or make changes in order to fit those goals.

In regards to ideas:

I have one and tried to make it work, realised it was too far beyond my ability, so want back and just casually worked through some tutorials with daft placeholder characters. Strangely, the laid back approach created something I wanted to work with and expand.

I'm not saying that'll work for others, but sometimes when you're dead set on something you're afraid to to take a risk to make it work, as you don't want to spoil any vision you have. Yet, if you just let it all out and go with the flow you sometimes things fall into place.

esterk

Working on the cliche forest level now, and it is both the most fun I've had painting a map and the most frustrating. Hope everyone is doing well!

ZServ

Working on the cliche forest level now, and it is both the most fun I've had painting a map and the most frustrating. Hope everyone is doing well!

Cliche does not equal bad! :)

Made some progress on dungeon 1, and as a whole the project is moving much slower than I'd like, but starting to plan out tons of puzzles so that I don't hit another roadblock later. 2nd town is being somewhat made but I'm not happy with the tileset variety for it :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been planning my game mostly, so I hardly have any actual work to show

But my idea was based around this fact and if I knuckle down I should get something done.

I'm mostly doing this for a spot of fun rather than the contest mind so I'll just be happy that I have an RPGM game that has a proper beginning middle and end.

I have some experience with rpg maker from using the 2003 version for a while so handling vx ace isn't too much of an issue. I'm working on a world map right now for a space opera style game. Will probably post the results sometime this week.

I wish I was better at art in general.

I've been working on sprite bases for my characters. It's fun doing pixel art but man is it time-consuming!

In regards to ideas:

I have one and tried to make it work, realised it was too far beyond my ability, so want back and just casually worked through some tutorials with daft placeholder characters. Strangely, the laid back approach created something I wanted to work with and expand.

I'm not saying that'll work for others, but sometimes when you're dead set on something you're afraid to to take a risk to make it work, as you don't want to spoil any vision you have. Yet, if you just let it all out and go with the flow you sometimes things fall into place.

That's kinda where I've been stuck. I've been bouncing between a couple different concepts, unable to settle on what I can best execute in a short timeframe. But I really haven't gotten deep at all with the systems yet (I had messed around a fair amount with 2000 or 2003 back in the day). Probably just best that I just start messing around setting up more specifics so I can get a more concrete idea for the best way to go.

sld

I've been lurking this thread the last couple of weeks and have just started my own little project. Since this is the first time I ever use RPG Maker I'm planning on using the tutorials to do a very small game, just to learn the basics. My goal is just to learn and actually finish a project, and then perhaps expand on it or do a more ambitious one later on. It probably won't hold a candle compared to a lot of stuff other people work on in this thread, but even so it's really enjoyable to actually make your own little adventure for once instead of just playing them!

tensuke

So I'm still in the writing/planning phase of development (need to get my ass in gear), but I just needed to ask people familiar with RM whether some things are even feasible without heavy coding:

1) Is there a fairly easy way to make a "lost woods" style area where the background music gets louder on one side of the map than the others?

I guess I'm a few days late but hope this helps. Paste this script in a Call Script event command in a Parallel Process event wherever you want the sound to be the loudest. Should be self-explanatory with the comments, but if you need any help just ask. It'll play the BGM loudest when you're on top of the event, and then quieter as you get further away (the rate it decreases is based on the multiplier). You can change the values up top to whatever fits your needs.

Code:
MULTIPLIER = 10 #for every 1 tile away, volume is decreased by MULTIPLIER
BGM_TO_PLAY = 'Field1' #BGM to play
BGM_PITCH = 100 #pitch the BGM plays at
#=======================================================================================
x = ($game_player.x - $game_map.events[event_id].x)**2
y = ($game_player.y - $game_map.events[event_id].y)**2
volume = 100 - (Math.sqrt(x + y) * MULTIPLIER)
volume < 0 ? volume = 0 : volume = volume.round

RPG::BGM.new(BGM_TO_PLAY, volume, BGM_PITCH).play
I decided to round the volume to the nearest integer since I don't think there's much difference when it's just one number higher/lower, but you can remove ".round" if you want to use more precise numbers than integers. Also, this can be used for BGS too, for example playing a crackling fire sound louder when you're closer to the fire, just change BGM.new to BGS.new (also works for SE and ME, but most likely you wouldn't want them played like that). And if you want the sound to be loudest when you're next to the event rather than on top of it, just change "volume = 100 - (Math.sqrt(x + y) * MULTIPLIER)" to "volume = (100 + MULTIPLIER) - (Math.sqrt(x + y) * MULTIPLIER)".

IN OTHER REGARDS does anyone know how to handle modular arithmetic in this? for variables anyway?

Sure, in the Control Variables event command just use 'mod' as the operation, and tell it what to divide by. The value will be stored in the variable you use up top, which is also the number being divided. So, say Variable 003 = 756. Using Variable 003 up top, choosing mod, and then putting in 10 as the constant will do 756 mod 10, which will change the value of Variable 003 to 6. You'll want to set a secondary variable equal to the variable being divided first if you don't want to change the original value.
(For those that don't know, modulo/modulus in math determines the remainder when one number is divided by another)

Here's a handy tutorial that tells you how to split a single variable's digits into multiple variables (useful if you want to display a variable's value on screen using events). Actually, all the tutorials on that site can be useful in one way or another. They're made for RM2K/3, but the fundamentals are generally the same across versions.

Dusk Golem

How many people are in the contest so far? Anyone keeping track?

Also, are you all using stock art or making your own?

Most are using stock or online (and that's fine, it's a-okay, allowed in this contest, and not all are artists), but I know that at least legacyzero and I are doing original art.

Don't have an exact tally, though I know many have shown interest, and expect of course a lot less than that to finish and submit a game. That said, I do think we'll at least give over 13 entries. I made it 13 partially to encourage more entries since there's a high chance that we won't get many more than that, but I may be wrong. To be seen, it'll be interesting to see the games people made and how many get sent, but I'm more interested in games people sent, not how many get sent in the end.

esterk

The stock art is pretty good and you can find a lot of other peoples sprites and tilesets online as well. Just give them credit at the end.

I'm making my own art, as are a few others. It's pretty easy to integrate it into the game if you like making your own stuff.

I might jump in for this contest after all. I've put over 40 hours in in the past couple of weeks, and the thread is a great motivator. Is there any sort of pre-registration, or do I simply need to submit my entry before the August deadline?

psychedelico

Neo Member
I'm still not sure if I'm diligent enough to finish something for this competition, but I've been lurking in the thread and tinkering around, so I figured I might as well speak up to try and motivate myself, haha. It's always really nerve-wracking showing off stuff!

This is my first time using Rpgmaker and I'm not much good at programming or combat design, so I wanted to focus on making something simple and nice to look at. My goal is all custom tilesets and art assets! I guess I'm aiming for a surreal-horror look?

I'm more used to tinkering with visual novels, so I'm also considering attempting visnovel-style conversation pictures, but I'm not sure if that's a bit too anime or not, haha.

To be seen, it'll be interesting to see the games people made and how many get sent, but I'm more interested in games people sent, not how many get sent in the end.
I'm not sure what this sentence means.

psychedelico said:
I'm more used to tinkering with visual novels, so I'm also considering attempting visnovel-style conversation pictures, but I'm not sure if that's a bit too anime or not, haha.
I don't really think it clashes with the artstyle of the tile sets, if that's what you mean.

Dusk Golem

I might jump in for this contest after all. I've put over 40 hours in in the past couple of weeks, and the thread is a great motivator. Is there any sort of pre-registration, or do I simply need to submit my entry before the August deadline?

Just submit a game before the August Deadline.

I'm still not sure if I'm diligent enough to finish something for this competition, but I've been lurking in the thread and tinkering around, so I figured I might as well speak up to try and motivate myself, haha. It's always really nerve-wracking showing off stuff!

This is my first time using Rpgmaker and I'm not much good at programming or combat design, so I wanted to focus on making something simple and nice to look at. My goal is all custom tilesets and art assets! I guess I'm aiming for a surreal-horror look?

I like the style! I don't think it really clashes at all, looks good to me.

I'm not sure what this sentence means.

I worded it rather weirdly. I more meant not sure how many entries we'll get, I made the 13 winners thing to help motivate more people to finish. In the end though, if even just a few people were motivated to learn the program and make a short little thing, I'll be happy.

Capra

Making my own. Mind you that doesn't always mean it's quality work (I have no idea what I'm doing with tilesets) but I'm trying :p

Anyone ever run into problems with collision detection in Tileset A? I've assigned passage values to the whole thing... but in my test area, I just walk through all of the walls, logs, rocks, everything. Can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

Edit: It seems that if you inadvertently change the first "star" in Tileset B to anything else, this results. Tricksy!

ZenaxPure

I think your art style looks amazing, I'm jealous.

Top Bottom