• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

KiraFA37

Change me to a not competing. I'm a bit to involved in other stuff, but I'm definitely going to try pick up some Ruby with some help of RPGMaker. Good luck to the other contestants.

legacyzero

Banned
Can I have some clarification on the music we can use? We can use any music we like as long as it's not from another game?

So like genre artists, music from motion picture scores? I'm just looking for a quick solution because I know I'm gonna be pushing against the deadline pretty close.

Unless there's any GAFers looking to compose?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Can I have some clarification on the music we can use? We can use any music we like as long as it's not from another game?

So like genre artists, music from motion picture scores? I'm just looking for a quick solution because I know I'm gonna be pushing against the deadline pretty close.

Unless there's any GAFers looking to compose?

Several GAF'er looking to compose, I have most of them listed in the second post of this topic.

My rule of thumb is don't use music from an official production, that gets into all sorts of grey area of copyright, even if this isn't being sold. But also as it's not being sold, I am allowing fan renditions of songs to be used, like midi covers for an example. There's also a multitude of free sound resources online with all sorts of music, so I'd suggest looking into that, and can link a few music sites if you wish.

legacyzero

Banned
Several GAF'er looking to compose, I have most of them listed in the second post of this topic.

My rule of thumb is don't use music from an official production, that gets into all sorts of grey area of copyright, even if this isn't being sold. But also as it's not being sold, I am allowing fan renditions of songs to be used, like midi covers for an example. There's also a multitude of free sound resources online with all sorts of music, so I'd suggest looking into that, and can link a few music sites if you wish.

Oh :(

Thanks! I'll check out the list and reach out.

Bummer, too. As I had already selected a couple amazing tracks. i've been listening to them all day HAHA

A couple track I was going to use:

Boss Theme
Normal Battle Theme

65DaysOfStatic is great.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Been tinkering around a bit more---

I'm really not cut out for this. I've got a general idea for story, characters, and such, but I don't have any art skills, I can't for the life-of-me understand scripting and even custom scripts others have made intimidate me, and even simply making good maps is pretty hard.

Guess I'll need to get rich first and hire folks to make my ideas a reality, haha. But it's fun just playing around for my own amusement---I'm thinking perhaps maybe I should just go a visual novel route so I won't have to mess with all the ickier elements of RPG Development.

The stock music is pretty good o_O

Yep, I remember the older RPG Makers having a lot of great little tunes---although I recall them plagiarizing the Fairy Fountain theme, and I think the Crystal Theme from Final Fantasy.

The older games also had a far more diver and cooler (and naughtier) selection of monsters to choose from, really neat looking designs. The new ones in this one---not so much.

esterk

I leave this thread for a day and we have a comprehensive list of people participating. Nice going, Aquamarine!

Unfortunately my tablet has to be sent back to Wacom so that will really set me back in the art department. Hopefully I get it back in time to finish all the art assets so it doesn't end up looking piecemeal. Otherwise my project is going smoothly, though I definitely feel like it may end up being too long. "Trimming the fat" will be tough.

Copons

Yay I've released the demo of the first act of my game to a dozen of friends!
Only one of them played it
I have shitty friends, screw them
, but I really enjoyed it, so now I'm super excited.
I just have to figure if he's enjoyed because I've put in a couple of inside jokes, or because I objectively liked the game, but still.

His only complaint was the fact that the game is too easy (and there's a bug where EVERY single enemy drops 2 potions, even tho I was sure I limited it to 1 drop every 3 enemies), but I dunno if I want to increase the difficulty, as I for one don't really dig hard RPGs, and the weird action battle system could lead to some frustration.

His only complaint was the fact that the game is too easy (and there's a bug where EVERY single enemy drops 2 potions, even tho I was sure I limited it to 1 drop every 3 enemies), but I dunno if I want to increase the difficulty, as I for one don't really dig hard RPGs, and the weird action battle system could lead to some frustration.

RPG players know what they're getting into. They don't want to grind for hours to accomplish their goals, but they don't want cakewalks either.

Copons

RPG players know what they're getting into. They don't want to grind for hours to accomplish their goals, but they don't want cakewalks either.

Yup.
My game is 100% grind free, so at least that is checked.
At the same time, the action battle system I'm using, while it's extremely easy and versatile script-wise, doesn't feel very good, or, I'd say, "smooth".
So while I want to have enemies (to avoid becoming a visual novel), I don't want to have powerful enemies that could frustrate players because of the crappy battle system.

(also I don't want to go default turn based, as I grew bored from JRPGs exactly because eventually I didn't like TBS anymore - and also I've never been good at balancing numbers and stuff...)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hmm, looks like my trap-focused game would require a ton of scripting, on the level of a tower defense game. People have done them, but not released the code publicly since they were selling them.

http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/19574-turret-defense-gameplay/#entry134240

My competition status: 98% chance to fail miserably

The basic concept is a "Be the Bad Guy" game like Dungeon Keeper or Evilquest, but with tower defense style gameplay and maybe a few side events to burninate the countryside. Now to see if I can get any of that to actually happen.

Hmm, looks like my trap-focused game would require a ton of scripting, on the level of a tower defense game. People have done them, but not released the code publicly since they were selling them.

http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/19574-turret-defense-gameplay/#entry134240

My competition status: 98% chance to fail miserably

The basic concept is a "Be the Bad Guy" game like Dungeon Keeper or Evilquest, but with tower defense style gameplay and maybe a few side events to burninate the countryside. Now to see if I can get any of that to actually happen.

TROGDOR!!!!!!!!! TROGDOR!!!!!!?!??!!!

BlackJace

For anyone who missed the Humble Bundle Sale of VX Ace, it is now on sale for 75% off on Steam, making it out to be $17.49.

I figured that's a reasonable barrier of entry as opposed the the program's usual price of $69.99.

Ludovico

For anyone who missed the Humble Bundle Sale of VX Ace, it is now on sale for 75% off on Steam, making it out to be $17.49.

I figured that's a reasonable barrier of entry as opposed the the program's usual price of $69.99.

DLC is also 75% off for anyone looking for more assets they passed up during the last markdown.

hitsugi

purchased all the DLC assets I think I might need.. was considering trying to do my own tiles but I'm still struggling with basic stuff

So today I reconfigured some of the music and designed the majority of the areas for my game.

Messed with movement permissions...I'm very, very satisfied with how everything is coming together.

All of the assets are coming into place...just need to continue writing and programming the comprehensive story.

Has anybody found a decent script to:

a) Increase the number of frames per animation

and

b) Allow you to do different animation sets for idle vs walk vs dash, or even enable custom animation sets?

I tried getting some of these scripts by "victor" but his dropbox traffic has closed off access :\

But I was wondering if anybody found something good for this purpose.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm planning to make a non-RPG game based on the old DOS game Sleuth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleuth_(video_game)).

Sleuth_gamestart.png

Focusing on getting the game working first, and then redoing graphics if time permits.

mmm_001.jpg

(Test map. Actual playing area will have to be much larger to acommodate more rooms)

Mexen

Anyone interested in "hiring" a writer, I'm your man. I'll make member by the end of this month. Hopefully.

Genres: futuristic sci fi, deep fantasy, horror/paranormal.

Lemme know.

Kimaka

Has anybody found a decent script to:

a) Increase the number of frames per animation

and

b) Allow you to do different animation sets for idle vs walk vs dash, or even enable custom animation sets?

I tried getting some of these scripts by "victor" but his dropbox traffic has closed off access :\

But I was wondering if anybody found something good for this purpose.

If you hurry, you might be able to download them now. The Victor guy just made a new post on his site with an updated link to his scripts that work.

Capra

Oh man, the default values for all stats in RM are insane. It's like they went to the Disgaea school of "largest numbers possible = maximum fun"... except without a hint of satire. My "reasonable" values barely even register on RM's stat curve.

I'm only now figuring out how to balance everything, but you can bet you'll never see a single stat over 100 in my project.

Pierate

OverworldPreview01.png

OverworldPreview02.png

Some progress, not much of a story yet, but atleast I have some graphics going, ignore the few standard assets still being used.

Not sure if I can finish in time, but I'll try.

pPXmLER.png

Progress is slow, since what I'm trying to do is proving to be messy. Trying to do a Lost Vikings-esque type of game, but switching between characters is not as fluid as I'd have liked yet.

Capra

pPXmLER.png

Progress is slow, since what I'm trying to do is proving to be messy. Trying to do a Lost Vikings-esque type of game, but switching between characters is not as fluid as I'd have liked yet.

Just because it hasn't been stressed enough yet - your spritework is superb. Are you working in 16 x 16 and then upscaling to get that chunkier GBA feel or what?

Testing graphical Asset sizing!

iZLPGT4noryoz.png
You are being mighty ambitious, working at that size and level of detail. It'll be worth it in the long run, but I hope you aren't going to drain yourself.

Just because it hasn't been stressed enough yet - your spritework is superb. Are you working in 16 x 16 and then upscaling to get that chunkier GBA feel or what?
Yeah, I like the low resolution look of 16-bit games, so I just blew up my sprites by 200%.

Wow, looks great! Your sprites or what?
D: are you doing your own art
Indeedily-doo. Simple stuff, but simple works just the same.

Yeah, I like the low resolution look of 16-bit games, so I just blew up my sprites by 200%.

Indeedily-doo. Simple stuff, but simple works just the same.

Good stuff. I'm kind of wishing I had taken that approach as well, since I'm spending a lot of time making sprites at large size. I like the big pixel look though, I should've just gone with it.

Top Bottom