• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll join but I'm not sure how far I'll be able to get. Have some cool ideas for games but they are of course the epic 60 hour long RPG variety and not the short 2-3 hours I'd need to do to have any chance of making it in the competition.

FrsDvl

This is a fun idea. I have zero experience with RPG maker, so i won't be joining in. But for a dollar I will definitely pick it up. Maybe next time, if there will be another contest!

esterk

This is a fun idea. I have zero experience with RPG maker, so i won't be joining in. But for a dollar I will definitely pick it up. Maybe next time, if there will be another contest!
Having zero experience doesn't matter, a lot of us here have never used it before either. Give it a shot!

Laieon

Definitely wouldn't mind looking for a team, I'll have quite a bit of free time coming up. I can do art and design. I have an idea for a story, so I wouldn't mind having a writer to improve it.

I don't think the game would need to be super complicated, we'd probably be fine sticking to all the default stuff as far as scripting goes.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Can you make a strategy RPG ala Fire Emblem?

If you're good at scripting.

These two scrips exist for VX Ace:
http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/16573-gubids-tactical-battle-system-v24-for-vx-ace/
http://rascripts.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/ra-tbs-alpha/

Which version of RPG Maker is the best one? And what DLC's are must have?

VX Ace I'd recommend for a few different reasons, but if uncertain it usually is best to go with as it is the most recent version. The advantages XP has is a better mapping system and some people like the default graphic size and style better.

For DLC, really it comes down to what you want, as they are thematic, like desert palace of zombie scenario or city or so on, and some use different graphic style than the default RPG Maker look.

BlackJace

These two scrips exist for VX Ace:
http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/16573-gubids-tactical-battle-system-v24-for-vx-ace/
http://rascripts.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/ra-tbs-alpha/

VX Ace I'd recommend for a few different reasons, but if uncertain it usually is best to go with as it is the most recent version. The advantages XP has is a better mapping system and some people like the default graphic size and style better.

For DLC, really it comes down to what you want, as they are thematic, like desert palace of zombie scenario or city or so on, and some use different graphic style than the default RPG Maker look.
Holy shit, thank you so much.

krpiper

So an Idea I had for this, but I am not sure that it will be a "game"

I recently graduated from college and look back with fond memories for my University. I would like to use RPG maker to make an "virtual" map, complete with interiors and such.

Ideally this could be given to students during orientation, and they could use it to "find classes" and such. Maybe do simple fetch quests to familiarize themselves with campus.

I am having trouble making a "game" around this idea however...

Would that qualify for this?

Acrylic7

Got very excited last night and worked like 5 hours. Forgot i have to work today haha. WIP picture:

uJAkakd.png

You can make a Zelda type adventure game where you fight on the map instead of random encounters?

L Thammy

I recently graduated from college and look back with fond memories for my University. I would like to use RPG maker to make an "virtual" map, complete with interiors and such.

Ideally this could be given to students during orientation, and they could use it to "find classes" and such. Maybe do simple fetch quests to familiarize themselves with campus.

The game itself can be any type of game. You could make a JRPG like Final Fantasy. You could make a survival-horror game like Ao Oni. You could make an exploration-game like Yume Nikki. You could make a visual novel like Cherry Tree High Comedy Club. Anything goes, make the game you would like to make.

These games also must be freely distributed for anyone to play, and not be made as a commercial product.

From the OP.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You can make a Zelda type adventure game where you fight on the map instead of random encounters?

Gotta do some Ruby scripting and understand how the engine works but yeah, you can. There are some pre-made scripts out there, just google VX ACE ABS scripts. I made a mix and match of some scripts and adapted some of them since I have Ruby knowledge but its doable. Just be prepared for some extra extra work ;-)

Jinko

I am a noob to RPGmaker so will sit and watch for now, will be interesting. to see what people come up with.

Antoids

Banned
Would it be reasonably possible to make a tactical combat game (say, as complicated as Fire Emblem) with a hexagonal grid? I have an idea, but a hex grid is necessary for some of the critical interesting mechanics. I googled a little but couldn't find a solid answer or existing script.

Pierate

So, I'm going to enter, or try atleast. No experience with rpg maker, but have dabbled a bit with other programs and engines, graphics should be decent atleast hah.

Getting some thinking and writing help from a friend as I'm bad at it, I assume this is fine? I'll make sure to credit ofcourse.

TrueGrime

Thanks for your input, sir. What were those reasons for VX Ace?

mattmanp

I plan to enter as well. Trying to work out an idea. I don't remember and am too lazy to check. Do we (or can we) have some progress check dates so we can see how others are doing?

I am not a great artist so I'll try to experiment with it and the story. I will try to post a synopsis once I figure it out.

I'll join but I'm not sure how far I'll be able to get. Have some cool ideas for games but they are of course the epic 60 hour long RPG variety and not the short 2-3 hours I'd need to do to have any chance of making it in the competition.

i'm like that too - already have the trilogy timeline sketched out ;) but i decided a few weeks ago in the interest of actually making and completing stuff to start with side stories/vignettes in the same universe. so that's what i'm going to do for this.

oh man, I mastered RPG Maker XP back in the day and haven't touched it in years.... fuck that RPG Maker VX nonsense, hated the overall look and the tileset limitations... but shit man, seconds of googling in 2014 brings me something I searched up and down for back in 2006... A Shining Force esque combat script! I think I may have to participate here.

Branson

oh man, I mastered RPG Maker XP back in the day and haven't touched it in years.... fuck that RPG Maker VX nonsense, hated the overall look and the tileset limitations... but shit man, seconds of googling in 2014 brings me something I searched up and down for back in 2006... A Shining Force esque combat script! I think I may have to participate here.

VX Ace is pretty good actually. It's better than VX for sure.

Playing around with events is pretty fun! I think I've got most of my system set up, including a very simple action battle thing. Just a few more details and I can get to work on the content, make a few terrible drawings, all that.

Now if there just wasn't the little matter that I should be doing other things, rather than play around with RPG Maker...

Fou-Lu

My roommate isn't a GAF member but he wants to help out, is that cool? I have a bunch of ideas, think I will start a few different projects and go with the one that feels right.

SOLDIER

On my side, I've now decided my game idea. I am taking some heavy inspirations from the Belgium film, Calvaire, and the game Haunting Ground.

I want it to be a Clock Tower-esque type of game where you deal with deranged and twisted stalkers, hiding from them, while solving puzzles and trying to escape a nightmare you've woken up in.

Main character is a guy forcibly dressed in drag, and he awakens to find himself the center of attention to some rather delusional and twisted keepers of an odd house.

Should be a fun ride to work on~ I'll be posting progress as I go (I'll be submitting the game and posting it here and for voting, but even if I win I will not be accepting the prizes and pass it onto the next person. I just want to enter for fun).

I would reconsider the "forcibly dressed in drag" bit, unless you're looking to make a statement with your game versus shock value.

If it's the latter, perhaps consider dressing him in something less potentially offensive. Like a pig suit or something and have the stalkers hunt for "fresh piggie". That's just a generic example off the top of my head.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Maybe one of those item-quest games? You know, you find an item in the environment, and this character needs said item, and giving them the item nets you another item that someone else needs? I forget their exact name, but Item Fetch Games.

Would it be reasonably possible to make a tactical combat game (say, as complicated as Fire Emblem) with a hexagonal grid? I have an idea, but a hex grid is necessary for some of the critical interesting mechanics. I googled a little but couldn't find a solid answer or existing script.

A little extra work, but definitely possible. I put a few scripts higher up to the page for someone asking for Fire Emblem battle system scripts.

So, I'm going to enter, or try atleast. No experience with rpg maker, but have dabbled a bit with other programs and engines, graphics should be decent atleast hah.

Getting some thinking and writing help from a friend as I'm bad at it, I assume this is fine? I'll make sure to credit ofcourse.

This is a-okay~ I wish you luck!

Thanks for your input, sir. What were those reasons for VX Ace?

Simpler to use, scripting system in VX Ace makes the engine very modifiable, much better audio player and it can use more audio formats, as more recent and bigger community more assets and scripts made for it overall, and the like.

Playing around with events is pretty fun! I think I've got most of my system set up, including a very simple action battle thing. Just a few more details and I can get to work on the content, make a few terrible drawings, all that.

Now if there just wasn't the little matter that I should be doing other things, rather than play around with RPG Maker...

The management of time~ But the contest submissions go on until August 7th, so you do have some leeway for time I feel.

My roommate isn't a GAF member but he wants to help out, is that cool? I have a bunch of ideas, think I will start a few different projects and go with the one that feels right.

That'll be a-okay as long as you mention it when submitting the game.

Hello all, I fooled around a little today with some samples and came up with these. If anyone wants to use them, please feel free. If you liked any of these and there's a specific type of song/loop you're looking for, PM me and I'll gladly help out!

https://soundcloud.com/zaddy-em/tavernortownsong
https://soundcloud.com/zaddy-em/melodyloop1

Very kind! I made a few things as well, may make an addition to the second post for assets GAF makes for anyone to use.

I would reconsider the "forcibly dressed in drag" bit, unless you're looking to make a statement with your game versus shock value.

If it's the latter, perhaps consider dressing him in something less potentially offensive. Like a pig suit or something and have the stalkers hunt for "fresh piggie". That's just a generic example off the top of my head.

It's less for shock value and there's a reason for it. The original idea was because of the Belgium horror film I mentioned, Calvaire. In that film, a travelling performer who's going off to a Christmas party car breaks down in the woods, and someone searching for his lost dog finds him and takes him to the local hotel for repairs. Long story short, the hotel owner identifies our character as his wife, who was also a performer and left him a year ago, and starts doing things with him he used to do with his wife until ultimately the owner believes he IS his wife, destroys his car, dresses him up in his wife's performance outfit, and starts calling him her and treating him like her but punishes him when he tries to escape. More happens and the way it develops is interesting. I was thinking about the film and an idea spun from there, it's not the same but the origin of the idea.

But don't worry, I know the potential offensiveness it can hold, and while I do want to tackle some stuff about gender roles, the last thing on my mind is to deliver the potential harmful messages that may be associated, and there is a reason for it all. In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with a guy dressing in typically boy clothes or a boy dressing in typically female clothes. Gender identity has admittedly been on my head a lot recently as I've had several friends come out as transgendered in the last year, but the last thing I want to do is make the what the game is about or make it offensive to transgendered people or people who identify with another gender. They have it hard enough as it is in my eyes.

It's also not what the game is about and just an element of what's going on as a while. I've been working on the game today, and I think it'll be interesting but not for everyone.

SOLDIER

It's less for shock value and there's a reason for it. The original idea was because of the Belgium horror film I mentioned, Calvaire. In that film, a travelling performer who's going off to a Christmas party car breaks down in the woods, and someone searching for his lost dog finds him and takes him to the local hotel for repairs. Long story short, the hotel owner identifies our character as his wife, who was also a performer and left him a year ago, and starts doing things with him he used to do with his wife until ultimately the owner believes he IS his wife, destroys his car, dresses him up in his wife's performance outfit, and starts calling him her and treating him like her but punishes him when he tries to escape. More happens and the way it develops is interesting. I was thinking about the film and an idea spun from there, it's not the same but the origin of the idea.

But don't worry, I know the potential offensiveness it can hold, and while I do want to tackle some stuff about gender roles, the last thing on my mind is to deliver the potential harmful messages that may be associated, and there is a reason for it all. In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with a guy dressing in typically boy clothes or a boy dressing in typically female clothes. Gender identity has admittedly been on my head a lot recently as I've had several friends come out as transgendered in the last year, but the last thing I want to do is make the what the game is about or make it offensive to transgendered people or people who identify with another gender. They have it hard enough as it is in my eyes.

It's also not what the game is about and just an element of what's going on as a while. I've been working on the game today, and I think it'll be interesting but not for everyone.

I gotcha. From that description the premise could work, I would just emphasize through the dialog that the conflict isn't "I'm not a girl!" but rather "I'm not your wife!". Context is always important with these things, so as long as the context is conveyed correctly than it shouldn't be an issue (oh, people will complain, that's inevitable, but if the facts are there than it's just pointless bickering).

Yoshi Theater

Unconfirmed Member
Please count me in as well!
I have an idea that revolves around the theme of an old Genesis fishing game my cousins and I fiddled with when we were kids.
I picked up the humble bundle and I am confused how we actually use the resource packs that came with the bundle. Do they automatically get detected by RPG maker or do we move them into the RPG maker directory or are they their own file set?

My friend and I have zero experience with it and are giving it a shot. It'll be fun to learn it and see what comes out of it.

Wanace

I've got the title screen and intro completed.

Now working on the first room.

Having a lot of fun! Hope my game doesn't suck and that I can actually implement all my ideas.

So yesterday I came up with the concept, started writing the plot and made a lot of headway in designing around my personal limitations.

Today I got a bunch of stuff done. I did the following:

• Completed all of the character graphics / character tilesets...took longer than I thought it would because of RMVX Ace's limitations
  • Chose all of the key music tracks for the game
  • Finalised the design for the game and general plot progression
  • Implemented and tested some custom scripts like a more robust dialogue system
  • Wrote some more dialogue / revised some existing dialogue to reflect design changes

I'm feeling pretty pumped about this project right now. I'm probably not going to win just due to the sheer caliber of what some of you guys are capable of (and I barely have any experience with RPG Maker), but just coming up with the project itself is a real blast.

I'd really love to jump into other projects as a writer, but I'm afraid that I would be over-extending myself given my hectic work schedule.

Character concept art in full swing. Decided to go with a 90's Squaresoft type look.

Not down with not having custome character pics in menu's and cut-scenes

Oh wow, that looks cool! Good job, man! Wish I could actually draw like that...

Sandfox

I'm having trouble deciding what exactly I want to do with my story since there are far too many things I would like to try.

Nilaul

Yep. It's 2.5 years old, but it's the best we have right now.

Remembering making Zelda fan games on XP; surprisingly got a lot working. Battle animations for links swings etc (Then I realised I could had probably used a charset).

I hope VX supports higher resolution graphics. Thinking about drawing everything the world and then scanning it, could be fun.

esterk

Hey guys! I've been messing around with a ton of VX Ace resources and came across this awesome one for making customized sprites. It's got a fair amount of options to it, so you guys should get a lot of use out of it if the character generator in the program isn't to your liking.

Here's the link, courtesy of Google Translate.

I always wanted to try a RPG Maker, and thanks to this thread I finally jumped in for the $12 bundle.

It looks like some fun games in the bundle. Can't wait to try some of yours :)

So do I need to learn Ruby for good results, or will a total beginner be able to do well given enough time with premade assets from the community and straight out the box?

esterk

I always wanted to try a RPG Maker, and thanks to this thread I finally jumped in for the $12 bundle.

It looks like some fun games in the bundle. Can't wait to try some of yours :)

So do I need to learn Ruby for good results, or will a total beginner be able to do well given enough time with premade assets from the community and straight out the box?
I've been doing fine without having to learn Ruby. Most of the custom script makers are nice enough to have through explanations of changes you need to make for certain values if needed, so it's not too daunting to change some of the stuff in the scripts if you need to. If you aren't using custom scripts, there's basically no coding needed at all.

I've been doing fine without having to learn Ruby. Most of the custom script makers are nice enough to have through explanations of changes you need to make for certain values if needed, so it's not too daunting to change some of the stuff in the scripts if you need to. If you aren't using custom scripts, there's basically no coding needed at all.

Nice! Thanks for the reply.

I was staring at that Bundle deal since it was mentioned here, and I finally bit this afternoon.

But soon after, I was like "Oh, man... What did I get myself into?"

Also, it's comforting to know that the more experienced users in the community are willing to help the newbies find their footing.

Top Bottom