• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HG101's Top 1000 VGM Results

cj_iwakura said:
You know everyone'd just skip to the end then. :p

And call me reluctant to reorganize a list of 1000 songs.
Hey, everyone likes a tense countdown :p

And it's not so hard...say if you had Notepad++ or something similar (Use 'Sort lines' for 999 - 100, and again for 99 - 1)

cj_iwakura

SatelliteOfLove said:
Two Lunar:Eternal Blues, but no Silver Star? Odd. Just odd.

Lunar is a touchy subject for me. The game everyone knows the most, Silver Star Story Complete, has a butchered soundtrack, objectively speaking. It totally changed the original OST due to rights issues.

Eternal Blue Complete's music is the same melody, but the remakes changed the instrumentation.

Here's the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmUcy_VBB7g

And the remake's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTAehutwuKI

Note the difference?

cj_iwakura said:
Lunar is a touchy subject for me. The game everyone knows the most, Silver Star Story Complete, has a butchered soundtrack, objectively speaking. It totally changed the original OST due to rights issues.

Eternal Blue Complete's music is the same melody, but the remakes changed the instrumentation.

Here's the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmUcy_VBB7g

And the remake's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTAehutwuKI

Note the difference?

SS's Battle is more than enough evidence of said butchery, but I just pointed that one out of quite a few oddities. Im sure others are reading this going "Waiaminit...why is X not on..." too, heh.

An interesting list. Lots of great songs but it's missing a lot too, song and game wise.

Oh well, it's nice for random listening.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Dark Schala said:
I'd like to see the vote percentage/point distribution for the Top 10, if it's possible...
Chrono Cross, Time's Scar - 56
Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily Stage 1 - 56
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Bloody Tears - 44
Final Fantasy VI, Terra's Theme - 43
Chrono Trigger, Corridors of Time - 41
Chrono Cross, Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - 39
Final Fantasy V, Clash on the Big Bridge - 31
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Snake Eater - 31
Super Castlevania IV, Theme of Simon - 30
Wild Arms, Into the Wilderness - 30

Dark Schala said:
I'm a bit disappointed to see some of the Nier tunes so low, though. That's a little surprising given all the praise the soundtrack has gotten.
Stastistically its awesomeness works against it - there's so much great music in that game that people spread their votes out over several songs rather than just concentrating on a few.

Codeblue said:
More accurately, tied for like 676.
Yup, everything 676-1000 is technically tied. I could've raised the cut off point to make something closer to a Top 500, but the goal was to generate a really awesome, really long playlist, and I'd rather be inclusive than exclusive.

Negator said:
Is this list available in playlist form?
When I get the time to go through 1000 of these and hit "Add to Playlist" it will be!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
that song is twice as good as everything else on the list, duhhhh.
Well, FFIX does have a good soundscape. :p

discoalucard said:
Chrono Cross, Time's Scar - 56
Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily Stage 1 - 56
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Bloody Tears - 44
Final Fantasy VI, Terra's Theme - 43
Chrono Trigger, Corridors of Time - 41
Chrono Cross, Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - 39
Final Fantasy V, Clash on the Big Bridge - 31
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Snake Eater - 31
Super Castlevania IV, Theme of Simon - 30
Wild Arms, Into the Wilderness - 30
Thank you. Ah, so number 1 was a tie. I thought it was kind of interesting seeing that since Dr. Wily 1-2 was in the lead in one of the vote roundups you did prior to the vote window closing... plus it seemed like a lot of people were adding that to their lists anyway.

If only more people had voted, though... quite unfortunate that the sample size was pretty small. But that must have been a lot of data to work with even if the sample size was small given the sheer amount of pieces involved. Good luck with counting and sorting! It looks exhausting...

Stastistically its awesomeness works against it - there's so much great music in that game that people spread their votes out over several songs rather than just concentrating on a few.
Mmm, that's true. Even though it isn't high up there, there are ~10 tracks from the album on the list... which is quite a bit. It inspires me to look for the game that serves as the "mode" of the list, actually.

jman2050

Hey, Ar Tonelico actually got some love. Considering the small sample size, I was expecting it to get overlooked entirely.

Codeblue

discoalucard said:
Yup, everything 676-1000 is technically tied. I could've raised the cut off point to make something closer to a Top 500, but the goal was to generate a really awesome, really long playlist, and I'd rather be inclusive than exclusive.

Definitely not complaining, I was a little overwhelmed by the huge wall of songs, but diving into it has been awesome.

Darknessbear said:
So is this list more like, "Best nostalgic songs from your favorite games"?

I dislike SaGa Frontier 2, Legend of Mana, and Grandia 2.

I have never played Solstice, Mushihimesama Futari, or Gurumin.

Shoulda voted.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Darknessbear said:
Not really. I don't own an Xbox 360 and somehow two Halo themes made their way onto my list. I have never played, Zero no Kiseki, Sora no Kiseki SC or Soukaigi either but listened to the albums. I also own Ar Tonelico Qoga, but I haven't played it yet.

Nice list overall. I would have liked to see even more obscure but excellent compositions make it, but I can't complain with most of what's on there. Especially not with Umineko's well deserved showing.

Darknessbear said:

I haven't even played half the games on my list.

surprised Ace Attorney Cornered scored so high.

Fucking amazing song though.

1-ani-phoenix-nods.gif

cj_iwakura

Incidentally, I've been asked about Umineko being on HG101, but it's kind of hard, seeing as there's no real gameplay to speak of, just an amazing story.

SHarris78

So, i've looked as far as number 50 and see no C64 music at all.

Along with all the pompus film score like 'music' from RPGS populating highup the countdown, this list is a joke.

My opinion might be laughed at but I'll post it anyways.

List is pretty god damn amazing and thorough. When there was a song I hadn't heard before, I could listen to it for 10-30 seconds and realize WHY it made the spot... there is just some amazing music in there. Duck Tales - The Moon, being there is just amazing.

That said, I think that the Halo Theme deserves to be a lot higher. I also think that a lot of 'modern' music was effectively ignored. I'm not a fan of COD games by any measure, but some the music composed for the games (particularly MW2 and BLOPS) were amazing by any standard. Finally, I think that Sonic Adventure 2 had just about the best soundtrack for any game ever outside of a few RPG's etc. So it's a little disappointing to see it entering so low, and with 'City Escape' of all tracks.

Probably the first 'list' I have seen on the Internet that I'm glad I read through. I've added it to favourites, simply because it's an amazing reference guide for so many great videogame tracks, and because it's not total shit like the rest of the Internet's material regarding video games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
F-yeah, Gene's Rock-a-bye is there.

Too bad there's no RE4, Infiltration was good (Castle theme).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SHarris78 said:
So, i've looked as far as number 50 and see no C64 music at all.
If you want to know, I was going to put this on my list and then I cut it in my second draft. Sorry! :(

I was also going to include the title screen music for Pinball Dreams for Amiga on my list, but it also got cut.

Perhaps I should not have cut this Silver Surfer theme from my final draft either.

100 themes was too small of a list. I don't really regret my final selections, but I wish I could have included more.

Famassu

SHarris78 said:
So this didn't make the list AT ALL???

http://youtu.be/yaOjtFBWy4g

Jeez what a joke.........
Awww.. U mad? I doubt you checked the first 50 songs since a lot of those aren't "pompous RPG shit." I mean... Mega Man 2? Donkey Kong Country 2? Super Castlevania IV? Phoenix Wright? Duck Tales? Katamari Damacy? Scott Pilgrim vs The World? Your silly narrowminded opinions hardly describe those songs, let alone the simple yet powerful songs from SNES era JRPGs.

A lot of NeoGAF users just probably aren't old enough to have heard much C64 music and a lot might forget some obscure C64 games in favor of games that are more in the spotlight.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
cj_iwakura said:
Incidentally, I've been asked about Umineko being on HG101, but it's kind of hard, seeing as there's no real gameplay to speak of, just an amazing story.
Maybe not the best thread for this but wathever... Quoting Rena from Higurashi (well it's just R07 talking, but that's how it's presented...), this totally applies to Umineko too:

"...As you already know, 'Higurashi when they cry' is a sound novel. So comparing to graphic novels where you can make choices, it's more like a regular novel or a movie. Some people actually say we shouldn't call it a game because of that.
If 'Higurashi when they cry' is something you simply read or watch, then it's not a game. Buy as you know, there are so many mysteries presented in the story. This story becomes a game only when you decide to challenge them.
As players, you have the right to enjoy this mysterious story from many different angles.
For example, you can investigate the mysteries, and then share your discoveries and get some feedback. That's one of the ways to enjoy it..."

It sure felt like I was actively playing a game in Umineko, even though it was a novel. If you choose to play it, it's an awesome game (and very difficult).

cj_iwakura

I agree, but it still limits what I can talk about in terms of it being a game.
It's certainly under consideration, though.

And just because no C64 songs made the list doesn't mean they weren't voted for. It just means they weren't voted for enough; and that means not enough C64 fans contributed.

Heck, Monty on the Run is on the list pretty high, and I've never even heard of it before now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There really weren't enough votes to generate such a large list, honestly. Probably should have gone with a top 100 at best, or left voting open significantly longer. I should note that I feel this way about a lot of user-voted lists, including many of the ones we do on GAF. I guess my angle is that it's better to not do something than to do it and end up with iffy results.

That being said, all the songs on the list are good songs and it's obvious why people voted for them. I just mean for something that purports to be a ranked list and is so exhaustive in number, the votes aren't there to back it up

good to see a couple of einhander tracks back to back. those are good tracks, but i think shudder or bloody battle represents the game better.

2San

Surprised to see only 3 Ace Combat songs one there. It's a popular franchise and has awesome music what are they doing wrong? :(

edit: Holy fuck Last Remnant isn't even on the list?!

cj_iwakura

2San said:
Surprised to see only 3 Ace Combat songs one there. It's a popular franchise and has awesome music what are they doing wrong? :(

The three most iconic songs are on there, though I'd have preferred The Unsung War over Liberation of Gracemaria.

Gambit

Chrono Cross won, all's right with the world.

Obviously there are others that would deserve it as well. I am just glad it's not as much of a shambles as the gametrailers Top 100 trailers

Top Bottom