• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HG101's Top 1000 VGM Results

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Stumpokapow said:
There really weren't enough votes to generate such a large list, honestly. Probably should have gone with a top 100 at best, or left voting open significantly longer. I should note that I feel this way about a lot of user-voted lists, including many of the ones we do on GAF. I guess my angle is that it's better to not do something than to do it and end up with iffy results.

The way I look at it, only the ranking of the first few hundred have any real meaning. The greater goal was more to expose people to more great music, and to use polling to whittle things down just a bit. I felt bad cutting down some excellent music just because not too many people were familiar with them and therefore didn't get many votes.

More people voting would be nice. I think a little over 100 people participated. I would like to make this a yearly thing.

SHarris78 said:
So, i've looked as far as number 50 and see no C64 music at all.

Instead of feeding the cliche, you could actually link to some qualifying possibilities and explain your reasons for choosing them! 95% of the people in this thread or voting for this list probably aren't old enough to have had a Commodore anyway.

jay said:
Any list with Sonic R on it I just assume to be parody.

Livin' in the City was the first tab I opened up to listen to. : P

Great list! There's a good amount of variety from top to bottom, and I was happy to see a Ghost Trick song there.

cj_iwakura said:
The three most iconic songs are on there, though I'd have preferred The Unsung War over Liberation of Gracemaria.

To me Emancipation or Invicible Fleet are a billion time more iconic that Liberation of something. But hey tastes and colors...

apotema

Now someone has to do the most awesome remix in the history of humanity and sounds and the world is ready to end in 2012

kokujin said:
They didn't even put Chronopolis on the list, I'm done.
Asidie from this and the general lack of Baten Kaitos, I generally approve of this list.

Did the entries on the GAF thread get counted? A handful of my picks made the top 100.

If you are bitching something wasn't in, and didn't vote, can it. Maybe he'll do another one and you can vote then.

krYlon said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJ8jLMCH_4

Obviously I didn't expect them to be on the list as the game has never been released in the west. I've never even played it, just heard the soundtrack.

It would have been nice to see more of Falcom's non-Ys stuff in there though.

This just missed the last cut. And the idea of a Falcom dungeon crawler with Kenshiro as protagonist? SOLD! lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Everyone's suggestions and complaining is making me feel bad about taking stuff off my list because I actually did include some of the tracks/games mentioned in my rough drafts but had to cut them. I was going to put The Last Remnant - Sword Sparks and The Last Remnant - The Gates of Hell on there, but they got cut in my second and third drafts. I generally picked quite a few of my favourites, but I guess next time I'll limit it to one track per game.

jay said:
Any list with Sonic R on it I just assume to be parody.
Hey man. Sonic R is great. TJ Davis pulled the vocals off well.

Better than the Crush 40 version of Super Sonic Racing (from Sonic R) which is bound to be in Sonic Generations in one form or another. :/

discoalucard said:
The way I look at it, only the ranking of the first few hundred have any real meaning. The greater goal was more to expose people to more great music, and to use polling to whittle things down just a bit.
This is how I look at the majority of VGM lists or VGM list threads: exposing people to music they probably haven't even heard of. And I'm sure that there are quite a few pieces of music that people have never even heard before anyway (because they haven't played the game for one reason or another), so it's good to get exposure out there.

Again, if more people had voted and increased the sample size, there probably would have been more of a diversity of tracks.

randomkid

Dark Schala said:
Again, if more people had voted and increased the sample size, there probably would have been more of a diversity of tracks.

Actually, I think a bigger N would have reduced the diversity and increased homogenization. With less people voting, the list was more idiosyncratic and weird, and thus, more interesting. Unless the increased sample was recruited exclusively from a C64 forum or something you weren't gonna see those tracks show up anywhere, as cool as some of that music is.

Anyways high barrier of entry (100-track suggestion, some kind of forum membership) plus HG101's own site demographics is what's most responsible for the composition of that list. Seems like most of the people that participated were music afficionados, which is fine by me, although it would have been nicer if more western-focused afficianados had voted.

MM2 Dr. Wily's Theme I'm not surprised to see in the top, in fact I expected it to be #1. I didn't expect Time's Scar to be that popular, though. Bloody Tears, Terra's Theme, Corridors of Time, yeah all things I expected to be near the top. Also glad to see Clash on the Big Bridge up there because it's one of my personal favorites.

Will read through the whole list later to see where my other personal favorites ended up.

SHarris78 said:
So, i've looked as far as number 50 and see no C64 music at all.

Along with all the pompus film score like 'music' from RPGS populating highup the countdown, this list is a joke.

I knew that the console RPG emo guff would dominate the list but it looks like I managed to help get the Wizball theme in there at least for SID fans.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
randomkid said:
Actually, I think a bigger N would have reduced the diversity and increased homogenization. With less people voting, the list was more idiosyncratic and weird, and thus, more interesting. Unless the increased sample was recruited exclusively from a C64 forum or something you weren't gonna see those tracks show up anywhere, as cool as some of that music is.
Perhaps if the rule "only three tracks per game" was reduced to "one track per game", it might've decreased the Nintendo/SE bias a little (but I somehow doubt that would be the case given the depth of each company's music library, there would probably be even more tracks to cover; or some tracks would not have gotten as many votes as they did). And probably introducing rules to "be sure to include X western themes if possible" would certainly generate another kind of bias and limit tracks from certain series (increasing mode of certain western games).

I guess no matter what happens (implementing new rules, increasing n for the sample size, decreasing mode of certain games included, increasing mode of certain games included, etc), these sorts of criticisms are going to exist no matter what kind of list is generated.

Anyways high barrier of entry (100-track suggestion, some kind of forum membership) plus HG101's own site demographics is what's most responsible for the composition of that list. Seems like most of the people that participated were music afficionados, which is fine by me, although it would have been nicer if more western-focused afficianados had voted.
Even though the list seems to have been generated from HG101's votes and some of the GAF votes, it would have been nicer to get a bit of a distribution of votes from other areas. I'm not complaining about the list because I think it's fine (plus much of the stuff I voted for got on there).

Perhaps just asking users for a Top 10 and generating a Top 100 or Top 50 from that may have been easier, but I still think the bias would have existed based on the demographics of the fora from which the votes were collected.

I kind of want to export the list to Excel just to see the distribution of tracks included from certain games. Based on the fora that this list ended up being generated from, the pro-SE/Nintendo music bias is going to exist, but I'm curious to see how many tracks there are per game, per company, etc.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Most of the stuff I voted for made it on the list, so I'm quite satisfied. No love for Zak McKracken, though, as always. Can't wait for some sort of playlist or videos to listen to all the tracks.

Aeana said:
My first reaction to the list was "man, these people need to play more games."
Did you vote? If so, I'd like to see your supposedly varied list.

krYlon said:
The best VGM tracks I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6UZnmI7H_4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJ8jLMCH_4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL3C877E4AB72D3478

Obviously I didn't expect them to be on the list as the game has never been released in the west. I've never even played it, just heard the soundtrack.

It would have been nice to see more of Falcom's non-Ys stuff in there though.

i have voted for Brandish, but it didn't make the list :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSIV1JYxp9A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_88qxNdFL0

randomkid said:
Seems like most of the people that participated were music afficionados,

you got it.

vic2020

Neo Member
Not a single track from Resonance of Fate, maybe no one played it since it released the same day as FF13.

the music outside of battles fits the world created for the game beautifully:
Middle World http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW3WmRBZW4A
Cranktown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYs7NfBkSM
Upper World http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnklMok_thk - when I hear this track I visualize a giant robot miraculously erecting elaborately from some pool or structure!

and the title theme(starts loud):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed3QCH4Phuc

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm surprised that there isn't more than 1 WoW music in that list. Well, at least Nightsong is still good. I was at least expecting one of the four main title ones, my favorite being the Cataclysm one.

But a list is a list. Can't please everyone.

Augemitbutter said:

Brandish does have good tuuuuuuuunes by default, as it is JDK Band. (This one missed the 2nd to last cut.)

I'm surprised that there isn't more than 1 WoW music in that list. Well, at least Nightsong is still good. I was at least expecting one of the four main title ones, my favorite being the Cataclysm one.

I think it's because few MMOs outside of FFXI have integral music as deeply part of the experience as in a single-player game. That said, Grizzly Hills music > all other zones' themes.

Hedja

Horrible list. You can't just ask someone which is their favourite, it's all about atmosphere and context. You'll have to play the games to decide, otherwise there are gaps, and a huge amount of nostalgia being poured in.

Lufia II's The Last Duel is a masterpiece for the situation and I only see Lufia's version at #835. Wow.

Null and void.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
SatelliteOfLove said:
I think it's because few MMOs outside of FFXI have integral music as deeply part of the experience as in a single-player game. That said, Grizzly Hills music > all other zones' themes.

What? Grizzly Hills is nothing special. :p

Personally, i love Vash'jir's music, it fits very well with the atmosphere of an underwater zone filled with mystery and monsters, the best part is when the flute starts around 1:56 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgOJvUBydmA

Top Bottom