• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HG101's Top 1000 VGM Results

cj_iwakura

If anyone's going to finally bring Brandish to the US, it needs to be XSeed. I've always wanted to play those games.

krYlon

Brandish: Dark Revenant is a great game. It's pretty easy to play with no knowledge of Japanese as well.

Though it would be great to play in English nonetheless. Xseed teased it a while back, but nothing came of it, it seems.

GavinGT

Banned
How does one differentiate between the 878th best and the 888th best?

Really, it should've been a top ten or top fifty list, with the remainder as runners-up.

So I scanned the list for Super Meat Boy, to make sure that Battle of Lil' Slugger was on the list. (It was, although entirely too low for my tastes, but at least it made the top 500.) Saw there were two other SMB hits. Betus Blues? Okay, that's fine...but saw Chapter 5 Dark World on there and was like whaaaaaa. That music sucks...am I thinking of the right one? /clicks HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME. Why was this version not in the XBLA version of Super Meat Boy? Such a shame, this song kicks so much ass.

Needs more Super Mario Galaxy music (more from SMG 1 than SMG 2)

And Melty Monster? Melty Molten is vastly superior. Not to mention it's not even remotely close to being the best music from SMG 2

Cipherr

SatelliteOfLove said:
I think it's because few MMOs outside of FFXI have integral music as deeply part of the experience as in a single-player game. That said, Grizzly Hills music > all other zones' themes.

Truth.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Only 1 song from Rez, and nothing from Lumines? That and I think "Still Alive" is way too high, it's a cheesy gimmick song.

But the best thing about this poll is seeing all the westaboos flip out because it's Japanese dominated. :p

djtiesto said:
But the best thing about this poll is seeing all the westaboos flip out because it's Japanese dominated. :p

Its common knowledge that Japanese video game composers are far far superior to Western video game composers. Especially in yesteryears.

djtiesto said:
Only 1 song from Rez, and nothing from Lumines? That and I think "Still Alive" is way too high, it's a cheesy gimmick song.

The rules said original music which makes games like Rez and Lumines a bit of a minefield.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Flying_Phoenix said:
Its common knowledge that Japanese video game composers are far far superior to Western video game composers. Especially in yesteryears.

I think Western game composers back in the day were much better than now (Chris Hulsebeck, Tim Follin, all those SID artists), since back then they weren't trying to desperately rip off generic hollywood soundtracks.

djtiesto said:
I think Western game composers back in the day were much better than now (Chris Hulsebeck, Tim Follin, all those SID artists), since back then they weren't trying to desperately rip off generic hollywood soundtracks.

Truth. Gonzalez, Wise, and Kyd are especially good at strong tones and compositions theming a level/scene/character, but more importantly, they are respected and sought after for it, which is rather rare outside of Japan (this I think is key).

Anno

Kind of upset that Someday the Dream Will End is so far down both the overall and Final Fantasy list. Still my favorite piece. Pretty strong top 10. Hard to argue against anything.

dacuk

Wichu said:
I like this list, other than the lack of Xenoblade near the top... #350? Is that all? :(

Maybe because almost nobody on NTSC-U land could actually play this game...

I do not think I will see some of my favorites (Captain Tsubasa 2, Getsu Fuu Maden, Wai Wai World 2) here, but as a source of new great music to hear, this thread accomplishes its mission

djtiesto said:

Music composition in games in general went to shit when developers (or publishers) ditched midi and went with "modern" instruments. It got even worse when they tried to copy Hollywood.

Einbroch

Banned
Respect the fact that Ragnarok Online is up there twice.

But where the heck is Purity of Your Smile and One Fine Day? Can't Go Home Again, Baby is a stinker.

Jucksalbe

Banned
MetalMurphy said:
Game was pretty popular in Europe in general, not just Germany. Not sure about the US though.
Okay, never knew about that. Last time I heard "Aufbruch der Kulturen" wasn't even released anywhere outside Germany. Hope you guys at least got the S2 remake, that one was great.

StoppedInTracks said:
No God of War?

FAIL.
Care to give examples for the great music we're missing out on here?

Jucksalbe said:
Okay, never knew about that. Last time I heard "Aufbruch der Kulturen" wasn't even released anywhere outside Germany. Hope you guys at least got the S2 remake, that one was great.

Care to give examples for the great music we're missing out on here?

IGN said it best:

JKQmC.png

Einbroch said:
Respect the fact that Ragnarok Online is up there twice.

But where the heck is Purity of Your Smile and One Fine Day? Can't Go Home Again, Baby is a stinker.
Yeah I'm surprised that Home Again made it in over a lot of RO tracks, especially Purity of Your Smile. RO has some of the best video game music ever.

Dynedom

I consider lists like this fine if I don't rage out at like the top 10 or 20. I'm not going to agree with everything but whatever. I think the weakest thing in that top 10 honestly is Simon's Quest from Super Castlevania IV and it's not even a bad song (I just don't know if it's top 10 material). I have no problem with everything else in the top 10.

Seeing Into The Wilderness at 10 made me smile real big.

Dynedom

Also, why are some of these songs linked the way they are? I know we can just youtube them ourselves but....

For example, the Bloody Tears link is incredibly misleading. =\

edit: I know this is a by fans/for fans type list but it's not like everyone has heard every song on there, in it's original form.

N4Us

Pretty good list. The Dr Wily theme is sooooooooooooo overrated though, I get tired of hearing that thing in every Mega Man video.

If I knew about this earlier I probably would've voted for random crap like MC Kids and Aerogauge.

Top Bottom