• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupin23rd

Not sure about The Island, but you can always pick up The Prestige for some Scarlett action. Of course you've probably already done that.

With 28 Weeks Later out, would have been nice to see a 28 Days Later blu-ray, that's Fox right?

m

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I just got District B13 Blu-ray in. What the ****, the only english subs are for the hearing impaired. It's a ****ing french language movie, ****ers, MAYBE I'm not deaf and just want to watch it as it was intended without constantly having "[HELICOPTER WHIRRING]" and "[SIGHING]" show up? Ugh.

lupin23rd said:
With 28 Weeks Later out, would have been nice to see a 28 Days Later blu-ray, that's Fox right?

m

Unfortunately 28 days later was shot on a canon XL1S minidvd camcorder.

Sypher

Banned
The Main Event said:
List of titles available worldwide already released and coming soon to HD DVD:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...r=asc&start=15

List of titles available worldwide already released and coming soon to Blu-ray:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...r=asc&start=30

No joke, the Blu-Ray library KILLS the HD DVD library, for me atleast. I counted 22 BD titles and 7 HD DVD titles that I would buy, including on both formats.

So if/when Blu Ray wins, then do all the movies that were released prior to the tipping point get printed on BD or just the titles from then on?

sypher said:
No joke, the Blu-Ray library KILLS the HD DVD library, for me atleast. I counted 22 BD titles and 7 HD DVD titles that I would buy, including on both formats.

So if/when Blu Ray wins, then do all the movies that were released prior to the tipping point get printed on BD or just the titles from then on?

Well, everyone has different movie taste. As a dual format owner (because of the PS3), I chose HD DVD as my primary HD format because there are more movies that interest me on it.

EviLore said:
So I just got District B13 Blu-ray in. What the ****, the only english subs are for the hearing impaired. It's a ****ing french language movie, ****ers, MAYBE I'm not deaf and just want to watch it as it was intended without constantly having "[HELICOPTER WHIRRING]" and "[SIGHING]" show up? Ugh.

I think Magnolia fixed that and offers a standard English subtitle option on the HD DVD version. Of course can't confirm it since I can't seem to find anyone who has a copy, but I think I read somewhere an e-mail response from Magnolia mentioning that.

And just saw this on AVS:

This coming from someone on the McFarlane forums so take it with a grain of salt.

"300 arrives on July 31

1-Disc DVD (either FS or WS) - $28.98
2-Disc Special Edition DVD - $34.98
Blu-ray - $34.98
HD DVD+DVD - $39.98

There's a strategy game that's on the HD DVD version.

This comes from a Warner sales sheet."

sypher said:

I personally would love to have the Universal catalog on Bluray. Especially since they've been much better about catalog releases.

Just read this over at The Digital Bits concerning The Host on Blu Ray:

TheDigitalBits said:
The DVD will be available in two versions - a standard edition (SRP $26.98) featuring the film in anamorphic widescreen video with audio commentary by the director, and a 2-disc collector's edition ($29.98) that adds deleted scenes, storyboards, casting video, a gag reel, 7 featurettes (The Making of the Host, Designing the Creature, Puppet Animatronix, Memories of the Sewer, The Film Departments, Special Effects and Sound Effects and Training the Actors) and more. Better news still: the collector's edition will also be available in both Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD formats the same day (SRP $34.98 each). The only thing we're a little concerned about is that there are some indications that the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio is English dubbed, rather than the original Korean with English subtitles. That would suck, but we'll see if we can clarify this.

Magnolia theatrically released the film in Korean with English subtitles, and I had never heard of an English dub before... I'm sure it will have Korean audio.

Bebpo

Banned
EviLore said:

Ugh. I got this during the Amazon sale for $13, but haven't popped it in. Sounds like this will be annoying when I do watch it :(

Bebpo said:
Ugh. I got this during the Amazon sale for $13, but haven't popped it in. Sounds like this will be annoying when I do watch it :(

actually its not...the subs are at the very bottom of the screen (unlike GitS:Innocence region1 release, where they were in the center) and the actual "hearing impaired" bits aren't as often as you'd think...

Really, I didn't even notice them and they didn't take away from the film at all......a film that is sheer concentrated awesome :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hey DKJ, the Matrix movies on HD DVD have trueHD tracks. Good news for you, since you're always whining about the lack of lossless audio on HD DVD.

VanMardigan said:
Hey DKJ, the Matrix movies on HD DVD have trueHD tracks. Good news for you, since you're always whining about the lack of lossless audio on HD DVD.

For me audio is more important than video. Plus, I have good speakers. This is why it bothers me when these guys want me to pay extra money for HD but doesn't include master tracks. I'm still pissed about Serenity and Chronicles of Riddick.

I would have leveled Warner's office with a bulldozer if I couldn't hear the chaingun scene in master audio form. :lol Plus, Warner would be crucified by High def enthusiasts.

On another note.

NipTuckS4.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DarkJediKnight said:
For me audio is more important than video. Plus, I have good speakers. This is why it bothers me when these guys want me to pay extra money for HD but doesn't include master tracks. I'm still pissed about Serenity and Chronicles of Riddick.

I would have leveled Warner's office with a bulldozer if I couldn't hear the chaingun scene in master audio form. :lol Plus, Warner would be crucified by High def enthusiasts.

On another note.

NipTuckS4.jpg

yes, but what will we get for the bluray version?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I can't believe people get excited about format wars...lol

This is the most annoying thing I have seen in years to happen. I could care less which one "wins" but I want it to be OVER. The thought of updating my movies is already annoying in concept, add to that I may have to choose a format and not get all the ones I want?

And for the record....when talking to some people I know who don't have any clue about this format situation...they assume Blu-Ray is new and HD-DVD is just a special edition stuff. Wonder how many people think that lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Amir:

Just letting you all know that the update for HD DVD drive is slated for tomorrow (5/15).

:D

OH YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:

amir:

A lot of changes here. Top on the list are DTS and WMA Pro upgrade in addition to removing the dynamic range limitation on DD (so even that route should should better). Lip sync. And a ton of title compatibility fixes including those which use the older DVD ("standard") menus. This includes fixes needed to play Joe's DVE disc btw.

:D

mollipen

AgentOtaku said:
actually its not...the subs are at the very bottom of the screen (unlike GitS:Innocence region1 release, where they were in the center) and the actual "hearing impaired" bits aren't as often as you'd think...

What format are Blu-Ray / HD-DVD subs? I know DVD subs were images, but aren't the new formats done with text?

If I understand what you're talking about correctly, why isn't there an option (unless there is) to modify subtitles to your liking, as far as the font used, font size, positioning, etc.? Why can I do that with homebrew video players but now with the new, state of the art professional media formats?

(I'm just bitter about subtitles all around. Having a fiance that is Japanese, I was hoping that every release would have subtitles in all major languages, or that we'd see movies make use of this supposed ability to download other languages. So far, seems like we're getting neither.)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
shidoshi said:
If I understand what you're talking about correctly, why isn't there an option (unless there is) to modify subtitles to your liking, as far as the font used, font size, positioning, etc.? Why can I do that with homebrew video players but now with the new, state of the art professional media formats?

IIRC, there were talks of this happening with HD-DVD/Bluray releases in the future. Haven't followed it much, though.

Oni Jazar

Thanks to MCY_999 on Blu-ray.com

FOX on BD-J

http://java.sun.com/javaone/sf/sessions/general/index.jsp?intcmp=hp2007may08_javafx_watch#GS1

There is a 13-min. 20th Century Fox video presentation on their BD-J plan for the future. It was done in last week's JavaOne conference. Go to Sun's General Session on Day 4 (5/11). Go to Toy Show Part 2 and watch the last 13 minutes of this video. It is a very informative presentation about their vision on BD-J.

Very interesting, shows U-control style interactivity and goes forward to online gaming with matchmaking.

Direct Link

Bebpo

Banned
The Main Event said:
I'll probably get the first one. The 2nd one isn't worth owning IMO.

That's what I'm doing.

Though I guess if #3 turns out amazing, I'll need to pick up #2 eventually to have a complete set.

Mau ®

DarkJediKnight said:
IMG_6070.jpg

IMG_6071.jpg

The admin of AVS just got his copies. I can't wait for mine.

I didnt noticed it but Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom do the exact same faces on each cover. Orlando's is changed up a bit but Keira's is exactly the same...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I downloaded the 360 add-on update: WOW, the sound is SO MUCH BETTER.

Lol. I'm not an audio guy, so I guess I didn't know what I was missing, but the sound is much clearer, much louder at normal levels, and ambient sounds are much more distinct and noticeable. I don't own any titles with DTS yet, but I'm expecting 2 movies from Blockbuster today, so hopefully one of those has DTS and I can try it out.

Here's Major Nelson's breakdown:

Added option for user to select from the following audio output formats via TOSLINK or HDMI:
o Digital Stereo (2 channel PCM)
o Dolby Digital 5.1
o DTS 5.1
o WMA Pro
Added "Dynamic Range Control" toggle for digital audio output
Improved HD DVD networking support
Improved HD DVD title compatibility
Improved performance with MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
1080p via HDMI is supported on the Xbox 360 Elite with HDCP compliant displays
Improved parental controls

I didn't get much time to mess around before I had to leave for work, but if anybody has time to mess with it, where would I find the Dynamic Range Control toggle option? Also, how do I access the parental controls for the HD DVD drive?

djkimothy

I hate to bud in on the Pirates of the Caribean circle jerk. They will be mine soon enough as well!

But Highdef digest mentioned that Disney plans on releasing Chronicles of Narnia! :eek:

This might have been expected/old news but it's the first time I've heard this mentioned.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...nnounces_Chronicles_of_Narnia_for_Blu-ray/626

+Disney's next major catalog release on Blu-ray will be the blockbuster 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe.' No street date has yet been set, but a late summer/early fall release is being targeted.
+Due to an extensive level of involvement by Pixar, the originally announced June 5 release of 'Cars' has been pushed back (as first reported earlier this month); current plans are a hoped-for arrival date of September 2007.
+Citing a need for greater mainstream hardware penetration, Disney will not be dipping into its vault of classic animated titles on Blu-ray in 2007. However, news is "forthcoming" on the studio's long-range animation on Blu-ray plans.
+The studio renewed its support for the Blu-ray format's BD-Java and BD-Live capabilities, as soon as technology matures. The as-yet-unnamed titles are set to be announced in the future on an ongoing basis.

Sad news about Cars though. :(

druie

I'm a bit curious... what are the advantages of standalone BRD players compared to the PlayStation 3? A lot of people seem to have them, but personally, the value and price of the PS3 seems like a no-brainer choice to me. Though, that player right there with the movie bundles does seem a bit more competitive.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Looks like Blood Diamond HD DVD is going to introduce the next step in HD disc interactivity:

There are two New Feature areas: the first is improved Network support. Soon you will see titles appearing that will start to show what is possible when your HD DVD player has access to additional content via its mandatory ethernet connection. Blood Diamond has been announced with networking features, something that the Blu-Ray version lacks (because of course Blu-Ray players cannot do networking, or picture-in-picture, or a bunch of other things). If you want to try these new features out, be sure to enable Network Support in the player first (and you'll need an Xbox Live connection) via the new button in the on-screen UI. The other new feature is asynchronous video playback. Hard to explain succinctly what this is (and even harder to implement!) but it will allow content authors to make even better content on HD DVD.

This is from MS' Ando Pennell, so you can ignore his jabs at Blu-Ray PLEASE.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
VanMardigan said:

You should have just left those comments off, they are really bad :lol

teiresias

VanMardigan said:
Looks like Blood Diamond HD DVD is going to introduce the next step in HD disc interactivity:

There are two New Feature areas: the first is improved Network support. Soon you will see titles appearing that will start to show what is possible when your HD DVD player has access to additional content via its mandatory ethernet connection. Blood Diamond has been announced with networking features, something that the Blu-Ray version lacks (because of course Blu-Ray players cannot do networking, or picture-in-picture, or a bunch of other things). If you want to try these new features out, be sure to enable Network Support in the player first (and you'll need an Xbox Live connection) via the new button in the on-screen UI. The other new feature is asynchronous video playback. Hard to explain succinctly what this is (and even harder to implement!) but it will allow content authors to make even better content on HD DVD.

Wait, wait, so you need Xbox Live for HD-DVD network support? WTF?

JB1981

druie said:
I'm a bit curious... what are the advantages of standalone BRD players compared to the PlayStation 3? A lot of people seem to have them, but personally, the value and price of the PS3 seems like a no-brainer choice to me. Though, that player right there with the movie bundles does seem a bit more competitive.
720p playback. That's about it.

wasting

Banned
druie said:

:lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
teiresias said:
Wait, wait, so you need Xbox Live for HD-DVD network support? WTF?

Seems like it for the add-on. I wonder what'll happen with folks who use the add-on with their pc?

BTW, darkjedi, do you have an add-on? I was messing around with the audio output options, and I could select DD 5.1, DTS, and WMA Pro. This is separate from the actual movie menu, so the movie could be set to DD 5.1 and then the output to the receiver could be DTS or WMA Pro. I really couldn't tell the difference (my movies are all DD and TrueHD) between the different output methods, but maybe you could check it out and see what sounds best, since you're an audio guy. My receiver doesn't do WMA Pro (at least I don't think it does) so I didn't bother with that option.

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
Seems like it for the add-on. I wonder what'll happen with folks who use the add-on with their pc?

BTW, darkjedi, do you have an add-on? I was messing around with the audio output options, and I could select DD 5.1, DTS, and WMA Pro. This is separate from the actual movie menu, so the movie could be set to DD 5.1 and then the output to the receiver could be DTS or WMA Pro. I really couldn't tell the difference (my movies are all DD and TrueHD) between the different output methods, but maybe you could check it out and see what sounds best, since you're an audio guy. My receiver doesn't do WMA Pro (at least I don't think it does) so I didn't bother with that option.

Nothing will happen for PC users - it's the playback software in the 360 that just got updated. The equivalent thing would be getting a new version of PowerDVD or whatever they are using to play HD DVD discs.

I suspect DTS will sound best but ultimately you are unpacking and then doing a real-time re-encode of the audio on the disc, which is going to be lossy...

Cheebs

DarkJediKnight said:
You forgot Poland.... er The MUTHA FARKING STAR WARS (including the new tv series), JAMES BOND, DIE HARD, Franchises.
Except not star wars.

1. Lucasfilm has full control over home video rights, NOT fox. He could release it on anything he wanted.

2. Neither will get it. George Lucas has made himself very clear that he hates the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray war and feels both formats are a waste and will not support any new formats past DVD until digital downloads.

JB1981

Cheebs said:
Except not star wars.

1. Lucasfilm has full control over home video rights, NOT fox. He could release it on anything he wanted.

2. Neither will get it. George Lucas has made himself very clear that he hates the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray war and feels both formats are a waste and will not support any new formats past DVD until digital downloads.
he also said he'd never release the original trilogy (untouched versions) on dvd.

george lucas says a lot of things. the man is never to be taken seriously.

Cheebs

JB1981 said:
he also said he'd never release the original trilogy (untouched versions) on dvd.

george lucas says a lot of things. the man is never to be taken seriously.
He waited 4 years after DVD launch to support it, far later than basically every other studio.

If he caves it won't be for a very long time and he could easily release them on both formats if the war is still going on (I highly doubt he would even consider touching either if there was a war still going) since Fox has 0 say in home video release.

Cheebs

Ignatz Mouse said:
Cheebs is right. Claiming Star Wars as a pro-BD card is a losing movie.

But... all those other movies, yes.
Yep. Plenty of blu-ray exclusives that more than warrant it's lead, its just star wars isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom