• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

sub_zer0 said:
I'll try again. Anyone?

Theres always Amazon UK, but im scared of the mighty UK pound and im sure there are alternatives.

I've mainly gone through Amazon UK, as their shipping prices are decent. As you said though, there are plenty of alternatives.

About Children of Men ... that isn't available in the UK. You have to order it from the Nordic region, and expect to be ass-raped for shipping :p

Midas

Onix said:
I've mainly gone through Amazon UK, as their shipping prices are decent. As you said though, there are plenty of alternatives.

About Children of Men ... that isn't available in the UK. You have to order it from the Nordic region, and expect to be ass-raped for shipping :p

How much did you pay for shipping? You shouldn't be ass-raped. But maybe they did it the eBay way, charge way too much for the shipping to make some extra money? :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
BoboBrazil said:
That's what happens when Microsoft made videogame system fanboys get involved by selling a hd-dvd drive for xbox 360...

The hilarity and irony of this post is not lost on anyone here, I hope. If there's ONE company to blame for console fanboys infesting movie threads, it's............................not MS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:
They are both responsible. It doesn't matter though cause anything in a console is going to create fanboys.

One is not "in" a console. it's a separate, expensive add-on you buy SPECIFICALLY to watch movies in high definition. Besides, most of the HD DVD supporters here had standalones. It's just stupid that you have this thread flourish while the movie discussion thread languishes. I'm still very much interested in the NPD software/hardware ratios and stuff, but I wish the other thread got more attention, since we are all supposed to be movie fans. Unfortunately, console fanboyism compels folks to care more about this thread than to actually talk about the HD movies being released.

Ponn

Banned
VanMardigan said:
One is not "in" a console. it's a separate, expensive add-on you buy SPECIFICALLY to watch movies in high definition.

I'm not saying Sony isn't innocent of bringing a format war to consoles, but to try to spin MS is innocent when they really had no business bringing a HD-DVD addon to their console that doesn't bring anything to their game arena whatsoever is either being ignorant or obtuse.

And to further think that they did it with no intention of trying to put a hurt on Sony is...well I already said it above.

DJ_Tet

Banned
American Gangster review is up

Ugh, looks like I won't be getting this one either. I forgot about this asinine decision:

The first strike for 'American Gangster' is that Universal has not included the extended cut of the film on the HD side of the disc. You'll only find the 156-minute theatrical version in high-def, while the standard-def flip gets the 176-minute version, including 20 minutes of additional footage. It's an odd omission -- why not give fans the extended cut, or better yet, both versions via seamless branching?

That's horrible, and as a fan of the movie, I bet those extra 20 min will be used to flesh out a somewhat hurried story. Too bad. I hope the eventual Blu release is done with more of a nod to fans. It's crap that as movie aficionados that Paramount screwed us by giving the extended version only in SD. Especially when you consider the tech is available to add those scenes via seamless branching.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I haven't denied either of your points, ponn01. If you'll notice, my original response was to someone who intimated that MS was responsible for console fanboyism in Hi Def Media.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
Unfortunately, console fanboyism compels folks to care more about this thread than to actually talk about the HD movies being released.
Don't blame this thread for that. Individual movies get talked about plenty in this forum, as they get released to theaters, and that's probably the more valid reason for there not being nearly as much followup interest in discussing a movie again just because you saw it in HD.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
One is not "in" a console. it's a separate, expensive add-on you buy SPECIFICALLY to watch movies in high definition. Besides, most of the HD DVD supporters here had standalones. It's just stupid that you have this thread flourish while the movie discussion thread languishes. I'm still very much interested in the NPD software/hardware ratios and stuff, but I wish the other thread got more attention, since we are all supposed to be movie fans. Unfortunately, console fanboyism compels folks to care more about this thread than to actually talk about the HD movies being released.

Yeah but MS made it an add on to get a console fanboy like attachment for it.

I would post there but I have been mainly watching Lost so if I was going to discuss it I would probably just go to the Lost threads. But I plan on watching Blade Runner this week.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
kaching said:
Don't blame this thread for that. Individual movies get talked about plenty in this forum, as they get released to theaters, and that's probably the more valid reason for there not being nearly as much followup interest in discussing a movie again just because you saw it in HD.

But that's not really what the HD movie thread is about. There IS movie discussion, but mostly its about the quality of the transfer, the sound, the extras. That could also be the place for sales, new disc announcements etc. I wish we'd all just transition to that and come here for just the NPD and format war stuff.

I am probably just echoing Van, but the HD Movie thread would be a better place to post reviews, announcements of titles, and comments about the trends in picture quality etc.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
But that's not really what the HD movie thread is about. There IS movie discussion, but mostly its about the quality of the transfer, the sound, the extras. That could also be the place for sales, new disc announcements etc.
It's still going to be an inherently less trafficked thread by merit of the fact that it overlaps with numerous discussions that have come before it, not just this one.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
kaching said:
It's still going to be an inherently less trafficked thread by merit of the fact that it overlaps with numerous discussions that have come before it, not just this one.

Besides the stuff I mentioned with sales, new release announcements, etc., the discussion can include countless other things that are put into this thread and get lost in the shuffle, such as import advice, disc playback issues, HD disc trading, and even player information. So long as we don't touch the format war (and we've done a remarkable job at that so far), that thread can be an infinitely better resource of information for HD movies than this thread. Which gets bogged down with personal insults, petty squabbling, and finger pointing. All of which I know I'm guilty of as well.

Xater

Ignatz Mouse said:
I am probably just echoing Van, but the HD Movie thread would be a better place to post reviews, announcements of titles, and comments about the trends in picture quality etc.

I hate it that there is the second thread. Here is just some discussion going on at times that ha sno point at all. Still waiting for thos Gone Baby Gone impressions. (What's the region code information on the box?)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Xater said:
I hate it that there is the second thread. Here is just some discussion going on at times that ha sno point at all. Still waiting for thos Gone Baby Gone impressions. (What's the region code information on the box?)
no f'ing way. That other thread is a ton more readable for those of us who couldn't give a shit about the petty bickering that mostly goes on in this thread. Most people don't care what format you (not literally, but figuratively) support or back or believe in or whatever. And even on the news of HD-DVD having major troubles, this thread still devolves into DD vs. BRD etc.

This setup is perfect. Give people a chance to talk about movies they've seen in HD, and give you guys who actually care about what format is winning or losing a place to talk about it. The two conversations are 100% unrelated.

Xisiqomelir

Ignatz Mouse said:

That thread is kind of dead though.

borghe said:
no f'ing way. That other thread is a ton more readable for those of us who couldn't give a shit about the petty bickering that mostly goes on in this thread. Most people don't care what format you (not literally, but figuratively) support or back or believe in or whatever. And even on the news of HD-DVD having major troubles, this thread still devolves into DD vs. BRD etc.

This setup is perfect. Give people a chance to talk about movies they've seen in HD, and give you guys who actually care about what format is winning or losing a place to talk about it. The two conversations are 100% unrelated.

Yep. And I actually enjoy both, but I think they are two different discussions and the movie aspects get lost in this thread all too often. Many, many time somebody comes in with movie news, a link to a review, a question about a movie, whatever, and it gets lost in the dissecting of PR statements.

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
The hilarity and irony of this post is not lost on anyone here, I hope. If there's ONE company to blame for console fanboys infesting movie threads, it's............................not MS.

I dunno, if MS hadn't thrown in, there probably wouldn't BE a format war :)

And boo at the director's cut of American Gangster being SD only - I wonder if this was a 30GB really wasn't enough vs. lack of assets in HD (see Die Hard 4 :p)...hopefully they will get their shit together by the time the Blu-ray version is released. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm probably only going to want to sit through it once, so I guess I'll just sit tight...makes the Netflix decision less annoying, I guess :p

Oni Jazar

DJ_Tet said:
American Gangster review is up

Ugh, looks like I won't be getting this one either. I forgot about this asinine decision:

That's horrible, and as a fan of the movie, I bet those extra 20 min will be used to flesh out a somewhat hurried story. Too bad. I hope the eventual Blu release is done with more of a nod to fans. It's crap that as movie aficionados that Paramount screwed us by giving the extended version only in SD. Especially when you consider the tech is available to add those scenes via seamless branching.

The advise Peter gives is, "give it a rent". Guess he didn't get the email. ;)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
borghe said:
to reiterate my point, why would anyone at all who just cares about movies care about this announcement?
Because positive growth hopefully leads to more movies released in HD?

Raistlin

Midas said:
How much did you pay for shipping? You shouldn't be ass-raped. But maybe they did it the eBay way, charge way too much for the shipping to make some extra money? :)

I just meant shipping is worse than from the UK ... and the prices aren't generally as good either.

Raistlin

Ignatz Mouse said:

The other thread is somewhat dead though.

How about we come up with an official syntax for the first line of a review, and release information?

For example:

** HDM Movie Review ** - movie name (format)

** HDM Release Dates **

That way, it will be much easier to do an advanced post search? You just put in the tokens, and you'll get a list with the names of the reviews, etc.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looks like they MAY be fucking up the Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray by re-casting voices and changing lines! Naturally since this is negative news about a major BRD release this fall, you won't see Bill Hunt covering it, but it has the online Disney community up in arms. There's a trailer for it on the new Aristocats DVD, which is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afuI2TakE84

Basically they're changing lines to speed them up, which caused them to be recast.

Specifically the problem looks to be Maleficent and it sounds like they're using the same voice that did her in shows like Fantasmic! as opposed to the original audio.

Here's the 1995 theatrical re-release trailer for comparison audio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaaeQhUnzvQ

The lines spoken by Maleficent in the BRD trailer ARE NOT from the original movie and have been re-cast and re-recorded. The current OOP two-disc DVD of Sleeping Beauty is fine.

Christopher

ManaByte said:
Looks like they MAY be fucking up the Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray by re-casting voices and changing lines! Naturally since this is negative news about a major BRD release this fall, you won't see Bill Hunt covering it, but it has the online Disney community up in arms. There's a trailer for it on the new Aristocats DVD, which is here:

Basically they're changing lines to speed them up, which caused them to be recast.

Specifically the problem looks to be Maleficent and it sounds like they're using the same voice that did her in shows like Fantasmic! as opposed to the original audio.

The lines spoken by Maleficent in the BRD trailer ARE NOT from the original movie and have been re-cast and re-recorded. The current OOP two-disc DVD of Sleeping Beauty is fine.

What if she just recoreded lnes for the trailer??

border

Strange that you'll defend George Lucas' Star Wars trilogy meddling to no end, but one alteration of to a Disney flick "fucks it up".

I'm kind of assuming that those lines were just for the trailer. That cornball "It's an adventure to big to be missed" sounds like it's intended for advertisement, not the context of the film itself.

Burai

shitonmychest57
jeremy_ricci said:
You haven't even SEEN it, and you're saying it's not what animation should be about?

Amazingly epic fail. Big time.

Or you could just not my taste in animation so personally? I'm giving you the reasons why I don't want to spend MY money on a movie that I couldn't particularly care less about.

I'm not saying Ratatouille is shit, that the people who like it are wrong or that my opinion = fact.

Seriously, you don't have to "win" this one.

Burai said:
Or you could just not my taste in animation so personally? I'm giving you the reasons why I don't want to spend MY money on a movie that I couldn't particularly care less about.

I'm not saying Ratatouille is shit, that the people who like it are wrong or that my opinion = fact.

Seriously, you don't have to "win" this one.

No, that's not what I'm arguing, for the most part, your selective quoting of my post makes it seem like that.

You argued that Pixar had 'lost sight' of what 'cartoons' were supposed to be, etc.

It just wasn't true, so I was debating those points. Especially when you haven't seen the movie in question.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
border said:
Strange that you'll defend George Lucas' Star Wars trilogy meddling to no end, but one alteration of to a Disney flick "fucks it up".

George Lucas is alive, (unfortunately) and was involved in the SEs. The principals on Sleeping Beauty are dead. Yep, apples to apples here. You betcha.

border

TAJ said:
George Lucas is alive, (unfortunately) and was involved in the SEs. The principals on Sleeping Beauty are dead. Yep, apples to apples here. You betcha.
Director on Return of the Jedi (the most heavily altered original) is deceased. Morally speaking, I'd say Lucas has about as much right to change Star Wars as the Disney estate has to change its classics.

That's besides the point really though -- I just hate the idea that a change to a classic is inherently "good" if director-approved is retarded, and is inherently "bad" if not director approved.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Onix said:
oh god ... >_<

99.9% playful. I guess it's hard to tell on the internets. I definitely only said it because of the apparent lameness of the new Indy movie coming out, and because an allegedly-great script was torpedoed by Lucas at the 11th hour.
Anyway, I basically defended his right to make the SEs in my post.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ManaByte said:

With Lassetter in charge of WDFA, I am not worrying about this for a second. Definitely possible (and probable) under the Eisner years. But with Iger, Lassetter's, and Catmull's respect for the classics I don't believe for a second they would do anything to alter them.

djkimothy

http://whathifi.com/hi-fi/archive/2008/02/13/news-harman-kardon-to-back-blu-ray.aspx

It's day two here at the Harman Kardon product launch in Munich, and the company this morning confirmed it will release a standalone Blu-ray player at the IFA Show in Berlin this September, priced at £450-£500.
Details are still under wraps, but a spokesman for the company said it will also add further Blu-ray players to its line-up, including its all-in-one AV systems, next year.
Harman Kardon is also working on a Blu-ray/HDD recorder that can record up to eight channels of TV. The DVC 600 digital video entertainment centre (above) has a 1 Terabyte hard drive, twin built-in digital TV tuners and can record up to eight standard- or high-definition TV channels simultaneously.

Ryck

I know Gamestop is the devil but they have a buy 2 get 2 free deal going on and I just walked out of there with 4 Blu Ray movies for 35 bux. Ymmv but my gamestop had a pretty decent selection of movies.

JB1981

Tried to watch The Assassination of Jesse James (BRD) the other night and had to turn it off after 30 minutes. The movie felt like the trailer blown out to 2 hours.

I can't remember the last time I rented something and shut it off so quickly. Movie was a dreadful, ponderous bore.

YYZ

Anyone know if The Assassination of Jesse James will have a double dip anytime soon?

Sorry to post this immediately after a negative review :lol

There will be Blood will apparently come out on a 2-disc HD DVD set on April 8th.

One of my most anticipated title along with No Country for Old Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom