• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni Jazar

sonycowboy said:
Perhaps is uses Blu-Ray specs internet functionality on a Blu-Ray disc, which was ostensibly to allow movie studios to download / stream trailers, games, and other content to Blu-Ray players?

They'd be able to get around any licensing / royalty / approval issues directly related to the PS3 and just have to file for a Blu-Ray content licensor.

Not sure how Microsoft would ever approve it through Xbox Live given they control the service. Neither Sony or Microsoft would be likely to allow NetFlix to use their hardware for movie rentals as they have or will have competing products.

I am surprised but honestly for the PS3 all they have to do is release a Flash player that is compatible on their website. Probably wouldn't be as good as this solution though.

Raistlin

I hope this starts up soon ... I'm definitely looking forward to impressions.

If the IQ is decent enough, I may switch over from BlockBuster.

KiteRunner.jpg

terrene

Banned
Wow, I didn't see that Best Buy went Blu the same day as Netflix. Nice. Someone send a memo to Criterion - time to hit the remastering consoles again, like you bitches promised. The war is over.

It seriously boggles my mind watching some people on hddigest and other sites trying to spin the Best Buy announcement as a good thing for hd-dvd.
What the hell is it with these people?

Nicodimas

Banned
trying to spin

Best Buy announcement as a good thing for hd-dvd

Does anyone even know what you are talking about anymore?

This is good news as it forces the next studio buyout and the gen 4 players to go public. As you can see Hd-dvd prices are even better making it that much sellable ($10 disks!) Should be a great comeback week for HD-dvd. Slowly, but surely hd-dvd is coming back. I am predicting a solid 32/68 week and that is damn nice sales for 1/5 the amount of total players (Attach rate is very important Ookie- of course argue the usual warner angle leaving can't deny the numbers though!!). Nice time for universal and paramount to lay the smack down on worst buy/net flix with a all new disks are only combos( no dvd sku -whatcha going to do now of course lower prices?)

It's funny how many forums<avs-HDD> see this as you mentioned...but blu-ray just does not see the threat..underestimation is a poor trait. Saw the $150 hd-dvd player at costco in the front and the expensive sony player to the side not even on a TV. Also Hd-dvd is on a frontcap at walmart too now..

Nicodimas said:

This is good news as it forces the next studio buyout and the gen 4 players to go public. As you can see Hd-dvd prices are even better making it that much sellable ($10 disks!) Should be a great comeback week for HD-dvd. Slowly, but surely hd-dvd is coming back.

Wow.

typo said:
:lol

:lol Was that a response to me?
He sends me a nice pm about blocking me and all of this but he is really quick to respond to me :lol
But yeah keep fighting the good fight Nico , viva la resiatance!

Ponn

Banned
Nicodimas said:

This is good news as it forces the next studio buyout and the gen 4 players to go public. As you can see Hd-dvd prices are even better making it that much sellable ($10 disks!) Should be a great comeback week for HD-dvd. Slowly, but surely hd-dvd is coming back. I am predicting a solid 32/68 week and that is damn nice sales for 1/5 the amount of total players (Attach rate is very important Ookie- of course argue the usual warner angle leaving can't deny the numbers though!!). Nice time for universal and paramount to lay the smack down on worst buy/net flix with a all new disks are only combos( no dvd sku -whatcha going to do now of course lower prices?)

It's funny how many forums<avs-HDD> see this as you mentioned...but blu-ray just does not see the threat..underestimation is a poor trait. Saw the $150 hd-dvd player at costco in the front and the expensive sony player to the side not even on a TV. Also Hd-dvd is on a frontcap at walmart too now..

I can have the worst fucking day ever, but coming home and reading your posts always bring a smile to my face and a good chuckle. Don't ever change Nico.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
A few notable UK releases coming up:

In the Shadow of the Moon (HD-DVD) -- 3/3
Atonement (HD-DVD) -- 3/10
Run Fatboy Run (Blu-Ray region B) -- 3/18
No Country for Old Men (HD-DVD) -- 5/12
Cloverfield (HD-DVD) -- 5/26
Trainspotting (HD-DVD) -- 6/16
Shallow Grave (HD-DVD) -- 6/16

I was considering the R1 DVD of In the Shadow of the Moon, but will probably wait for the HD now. And providing the transfer is up to snuff, I'm all over Shallow Grave.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Nicodimas said:
Shallow Grave <~~Never seen whats your rating?

It's Danny Boyle's first movie and I still think it's his best. A tightly wound little noir, great acting all around and a phenominal ending. I'm really hoping they do a good job with the disc since the R1 DVD is pretty lousy.

ManaByte said:

It'll be BRD here since Lionsgate did the DVD.

Are they even going to release it on Blu-ray in the US? Seems kind of unlikely right now if it isn't day-and-date...

Nicodimas

Banned
http://www.dvd-intelligence.com/main_sections/news_archive/2003_free/2_olivier.htm

If you move away from the overhyped claims and closely examine the ‘attach rates’ – which is the information that the studios really track – Blu-ray still cannot achieve one software unit per player sold. This low attach rate does appear to challenge the Blu-ray claim that the PS3 is a primary movie playback device.

Wow, thats preety sad..
/Roman Coliseum Boo

HD DVD has enjoyed a consistent tie rate of movies to players of 3.5 movies to one player.

More than 350% better sales...
/golf clap

Obviously blu needs to respond..

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Thanks for the last minute comedy, i'm going to bed :D

tha_con said:
I wonder how many pot leaves Nico cuts on his HD DVD cases every day? Because he sure as shit is smoking something good.

Actually I thank him.
He and people like him push more people towards blu than any advertising campaign.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Nicodimas said:

As much as I enjoy my HD DVD player and all the great Universal titles every rational person can see the writing on the wall.The $200 price of admission and was more than worth it to not have to wait for all the great HD DVD titles. I should be purple in few weeks as soon as I get my 10% coupon from Target and I'll be good to go.

As for Nico I wasn't sure about him but that post definitely confirms joke status either that or he's on some other plane of reality. It's hilarious how some people get all bent out of shape and fall for his posts hook line and sinker.

Does anyone know which country the Steelbook version of Pan's Labyrinth was released? I have no plans on buying the movie again (spent almost $30 on the 2 disc DVD set, and didn't think the movie lived up to the hype), but I would like to know where the first HD steelbook was released...

OokieSpookie said:
It seriously boggles my mind watching some people on hddigest and other sites trying to spin the Best Buy announcement as a good thing for hd-dvd.
What the hell is it with these people?

That's what happens when Microsoft made videogame system fanboys get involved by selling a hd-dvd drive for xbox 360...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Onix said:
Warner and Disney have been holding back a lot of content due to restorations.

As for Sony being remaster shy, I would agree they could do better with their catalog stuff. The good news on their front is that they've been mastering their newer movies with the intention of HD for a number of years ... so most of that stuff should be fine.

Disney uses DTS/Lowry for their older feature animation titles, (none of which are on BD until October) but other than that, their track record pretty much blows on catalog titles. I'm not aware of any live-action remasters done since BD came out.
WB's 4k restoration plans were in place long before they went BD-exclusive, so I don't see how they have anything to do with the issue you brought up. Also, the program only covers a small minority of their catalog releases.
Finally, the stuff from the Sony Pictures High Definition Center days is really showing its age now. Thankfully, I only bought a couple Sony movies with transfers from the mid-to-late '90s before I figured that out, and they were both $10 or less in BOGOs. (I've watched a lot more borrowed or rented, though) As bad as my copy of Cruel Intentions looks, I hear Bram Stoker's Dracula is way worse. :(

Nicodimas said:

AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH :lol :lol :lol

YYZ

SlaughterX said:
Does anyone know which country the Steelbook version of Pan's Labyrinth was released? I have no plans on buying the movie again (spent almost $30 on the 2 disc DVD set, and didn't think the movie lived up to the hype), but I would like to know where the first HD steelbook was released...
I think it was either Germany or France.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Cosmic Bus said:
A few notable UK releases coming up:

Atonement (HD-DVD) -- 3/10
Run Fatboy Run (Blu-Ray region B) -- 3/18
No Country for Old Men (HD-DVD) -- 5/12
Cloverfield (HD-DVD) -- 5/26
Trainspotting (HD-DVD) -- 6/16
Shallow Grave (HD-DVD) -- 6/16

I was considering the R1 DVD of In the Shadow of the Moon, but will probably wait for the HD now. And providing the transfer is up to snuff, I'm all over Shallow Grave.

Definitely picking up No country, Cloverfield and Trainspoting. Cosmic do you have the import of Perfume? I was thinking about a blind buy on that title.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Days like these... said:
Cosmic do you have the import of Perfume? I was thinking about a blind buy on that title.

I do indeed. I'd recommend renting the DVD first to see if it's something you'd want to buy, as it's a fairly polarizing film; providing you do enjoy it, the German HD is well worth owning. Utterly gorgeous picture, and whatever slight flaws there may be are wholly offset by the production design. One of my favorites.

Raistlin

TAJ said:
Disney uses DTS/Lowry for their older feature animation titles, (none of which are on BD until October) but other than that, their track record pretty much blows on catalog titles. I'm not aware of any live-action remasters done since BD came out.
WB's 4k restoration plans were in place long before they went BD-exclusive, so I don't see how they have anything to do with the issue you brought up. Also, the program only covers a small minority of their catalog releases.
Finally, the stuff from the Sony Pictures High Definition Center days is really showing its age now. Thankfully, I only bought a couple Sony movies with transfers from the mid-to-late '90s before I figured that out, and they were both $10 or less in BOGOs. (I've watched a lot more borrowed or rented, though) As bad as my copy of Cruel Intentions looks, I hear Bram Stoker's Dracula is way worse. :(

I'm not saying there haven't been BD duds. It just seems more have come out on HD DVD. The percentages may actually be similar, maybe it just seems worse because Paramount/Uni have released more backlog titles (or at least a higher ratio)?

I've just noticed more reviews complaining about the transfers on HD DVD backlog. It doesn't help that Paramount seems to love gimping the audio on their US releases. Unfortunately, the same holds true with many of their new releases as well.

Days like these... said:
Definitely picking up No country, Cloverfield and Trainspoting. Cosmic do you have the import of Perfume? I was thinking about a blind buy on that title.

I have Perfume on BD. I plan to watch it in the next few days ... I'll give some impressions then.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Onix said:
I'm not saying there haven't been BD duds. It just seems more have come out on HD DVD. The percentages may actually be similar, maybe it just seems worse because Paramount/Uni have released more backlog titles (or at least a higher ratio)?

I've just noticed more reviews complaining about the transfers on HD DVD backlog. It doesn't help that Paramount seems to love gimping the audio on their US releases. Unfortunately, the same holds true with many of their new releases as well.

I have Perfume on BD. I plan to watch it in the next few days ... I'll give some impressions then.

Thanks Onix. Cosmic I think we have similar taste in movies. Sunshine and Volver will be my first Blu-Ray titles so I'll take your word on Perfume. Do you know if that's available on BR in the US if so I might hold of on importing the hd dvd version

Raistlin

Days like these... said:
Thanks Onix. Cosmic I think we have similar taste in movies. Sunshine and Volver will be my first Blu-Ray titles so I'll take your word on Perfume. Do you know if that's available on BR in the US if so I might hold of on importing the hd dvd version

Unfortunately, it isn't available in the US in HD at all, and there has been no announcement for it. Paramount owns the distribution rights, and has been less-then-quick with HD-DVD output lately.

So whether you go BD or HD DVD, your going to have to import it.

sub_zer0 said:
Anyone know any reliable UK/Euro retailers that stock Region B Blu-Ray titles at decent prices, and ship internationally? I need my Eastern Promises & Children of Men fix.

I'll try again. Anyone?

Theres always Amazon UK, but im scared of the mighty UK pound and im sure there are alternatives.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Onix said:

Universal has put out about 150 titles so far. That's a pretty huge number for these formats at this point.
The problem with Paramount is that they do remasters, but lately they're fucking up a lot of them with excessive processing so that they end up looking like late-'90s HD transfers. The HD remaster they did of Top Gun a couple years ago is particularly nasty. But then you'll see some movies looking way better than they have any right to, like The Warriors.
Some movies are never going to look good (lolDeliverancelol) but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Raistlin

TAJ said:
Universal has put out about 150 titles so far. That's a pretty huge number for these formats at this point.
The problem with Paramount is that they do remasters, but lately they're fucking up a lot of them with excessive processing so that they end up looking like late-'90s HD transfers. The HD remaster they did of Top Gun a couple years ago is particularly nasty. But then you'll see some movies looking way better than they have any right to, like The Warriors.
Some movies are never going to look good (lolDeliverancelol) but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Has there ever been an explanation of why Paramount hates audio? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom