• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolgar

mckmas8808 said:
Great sales for Blu-ray.

I don't think sales can be described as "great" for either next-gen format, frankly.

People are slow to jump into this, but given prices of hardware and software, it's not difficult to see why.

Why is it when a guy who is on the MS/Toshiba payroll makes a vague argument about HD-DVD winning this war, it's news, but when a neutral party explains how he's come to a pro-BluRay position with a lot of well reasoned arguments, it merits a :lol?

Kolgar said:
I don't think sales can be described as "great" for either next-gen format, frankly.

People are slow to jump into this, but given prices of hardware and software, it's not difficult to see why.

The higher price of HD/BR discs is a turn off even to people who own the hardware.

I have a PS3 and by extension of that a Blu-Ray player. I planned on buying a bunch of Blu-Ray movies, but as of now I only have about 2 or 3.

Everytime I go to buy a Blu-Ray disc, I always have to ask myself "do I really want this movie in HD enough to spend an extra $10 on it?". In most cases the answer comes out to "no".

rubso

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Why is it when a guy who is on the MS/Toshiba payroll makes a vague argument about HD-DVD winning this war, it's news, but when a neutral party explains how he's come to a pro-BluRay position with a lot of well reasoned arguments, it merits a :lol?
I believe, HD-DVD is not toshiba nor Microsoft. even Blu-ray is not Sony. << correct me if I'm wrong.

Ponn

Banned
rubso said:
I believe, HD-DVD is not toshiba nor Microsoft. even Blu-ray is not Sony. << correct me if I'm wrong.

He didn't say they were, he said they were pro and payroll which is very true.

soundwave05 said:
The higher price of HD/BR discs is a turn off even to people who own the hardware.

I have a PS3 and by extension of that a Blu-Ray player. I planned on buying a bunch of Blu-Ray movies, but as of now I only have about 2 or 3.

Everytime I go to buy a Blu-Ray disc, I always have to ask myself "do I really want this movie in HD enough to spend an extra $10 on it?". In most cases the answer comes out to "no".

Yeah. I do buy new releases in HD is a I can, but that keeps me from buying a lot of older stuff.

rubso

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
rubso: The guy I'm referrign to is a paid marketing agent. He's more trustworthy than Bill Hunt? You'd think so, from some replies here.
I'll spam the internet with the post "HD-DVD has won the war" if Toshiba payed me 1000 USD a month.

rubso said:
I'll spam the internet with the post "HD-DVD has won the war" if Toshiba payed me 1000 USD a month.

So would I. But I sure as hell wouldn't trust such a person's opinion, which was my point.

Rob Enderle, paid marketing agent for MS and Toshiba (and presumably, Sony in the past): "HD-DVD is sure to win" via vague arguments -> 5 pages of pro-HD-DVD speculation in this thread

Bill Hunt, independenent tech journalist: "BluRay will win, if either does" follwed by a thorough and well-reasoned argument -> get's :lols in this thread

The death of reason indeed.

Kolgar

Well, I personally don't put much stock in what Bill Hunt says. As far as him being neutral, I :lol heartily.

His article contains valid points, sure, but it's still not the complete picture. For example, he says Toshiba's only advantage is inexpensive hardware. Is it really? The Tosh players have won many awards from reputable AV mags and websites for their excellent performance; moreso than any of the Blu players. Doesn't low price + exceptional performance = great value? Isn't that what consumers are looking for?

That value is why the top three HD players on Amazon are all HD DVD models. I'm still not convinced that BD can win until its standalone players start selling a lot better than they are. I just don't think a game console can win a format war. It can help; we've seen that. For without PS3, BD would already be dead. But those standalones have to start taking off.

And they won't until they hit affordable price points. That's what Toshiba's trying to do. Does it screw them with CE support? Possibly. But they're in a fight to the death with Sony and BD, and price is the one weapon in their "all or nothing" box that might just win it for them in the end. If they can build a big enough install base with affordable prices, they may get to a point where a BD studio can ignore HD DVD no longer.

Seems to me you can have all the studio support in the world, but if your players still cost $500-600, the mass market just isn't interested.

Anyway, I don't claim to know what will happen. But I've seen enough "Blu Bluster" to know it when I see it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Kolgar said:
That value is why the top three HD players on Amazon are all HD DVD models. I'm still not convinced that BD can win until its standalone players start selling a lot better than they are. I just don't think a game console can win a format war. It can help; we've seen that. For without PS3, BD would already be dead. But those standalones have to start taking off.

I stopped reading right there.
When you have to back up your argument with Amazon sales, you know something is wrong.
Seriously, I thought we were past using Amazon sales information as fact :lol

rubso

Banned
Suikoguy said:
When you have to back up your argument with Amazon sales, you know something is wrong.
Seriously, I thought we were past using Amazon sales information as fact :lol
so, Amazon sales information aren't real?
what do they sell over there? HD-DVD and Blu-ray Ghosts Discs?

Raistlin

Kolgar said:
His article contains valid points, sure, but it's still not the complete picture. For example, he says Toshiba's only advantage is inexpensive hardware. Is it really? The Tosh players have won many awards from reputable AV mags and websites for their excellent performance; moreso than any of the Blu players.

While there is some merit to your point, there are two problems with it.

1) The PS3 actually has also won some awards as a BluRay device, including a product of the year award.

2) As Hunt alluded to, the CE support behind BluRay should not be overlooked. To assume that no one will bring similarly quality standalone BluRay players is kind of ridiculous ... from pretty much any perspective.

Doesn't low price + exceptional performance = great value? Isn't that what consumers are looking for?

That is a pretty gross oversimplification isn't it? Things like studio support are obviously pretty important to people deciding which format to pick.

That value is why the top three HD players on Amazon are all HD DVD models.

If you look at actual units sold ... it's not like they are selling to the mainstream. Amazon is selling at really cheap prices, so early adopters who aren't all that scared about whether the format eventually lives or dies are simply choosing to buy it from there.

I'm still not convinced that BD can win until its standalone players start selling a lot better than they are. I just don't think a game console can win a format war. It can help; we've seen that. For without PS3, BD would already be dead. But those standalones have to start taking off.

I agree that BluRay standalone players will eventually have to sell to the mass-market for it to really take off ... However, I think it is possible for a console to win the format war, as that doesn't mean the winning format actually 'lives'. In reality, the studios and CE companies don't want a format war. If PS3 helps BluRay take a sizable lead in sales ... it is possible that HD DVD support will drop off.

In other words, BluRay could win the format war ... but still end up a niche product.

And they won't until they hit affordable price points. That's what Toshiba's trying to do. Does it screw them with CE support? Possibly. But they're in a fight to the death with Sony and BD, and price is the one weapon in their "all or nothing" box that might just win it for them in the end. If they can build a big enough install base with affordable prices, they may get to a point where a BD studio can ignore HD DVD no longer.

Well, this is strictly a what if ... we simply don't know which strategy will end up winning out.

That said, so far the price difference does not seem to be helping HD DVD. The sales delta has been fairly consistent this year.

Seems to me you can have all the studio support in the world, but if your players still cost $500-600, the mass market just isn't interested.

And it seems to me, that at $300 and with limited studio support ... the mass market just isn't interested either.

Raistlin

rubso said:
so, Amazon sales information aren't real?
what do they sell over there? HD-DVD and Blu-ray Ghosts Discs?

The point is that they don't represent a majority of units sales ... and that the demographic is such that using the numbers to extrapolate is not exactly accurate.

Basically, Amazon != a real-world sampling.

Kolgar

Suikoguy said:

I know - that's got to be a bitter pill for you to swallow.

Back to the article, I have to chuckle when Bill says this:

If Blu-ray begins to dominate this thing, Microsoft will simply announce a Blu-ray add-on drive for the 360 and continue on their merry way.

Besides the VC-1 codec, MS's big reason for backing HD DVD is to counter Sony and Blu-ray. Put the squeeze on their competitor on as many fronts as possible. Meanwhile, they're beavering away on their downloadable movie service.

So I don't think MS is really concerned about the next-gen movie format war. Certainly not enough to ever announce a Blu-ray add-on drive for 360, even if BD were to win the war definitively tomorrow.

What I'm getting at is that I find the statement dumb, and it certainly doesn't do much for the credibility of Mr. Hunt's "professional" analyses.

Kolgar

Onix, I agree with pretty much all your points. I appreciate your thoughtfulness; you come across as a bit more level-headed than Mr. Hunt. :lol

That's what makes this whole format war so interesting. There's validity to both approaches and a certain unpredictability to these things that means it could go either way - or neither way - despite these companies' best efforts.

It's almost as fun to watch as the movies themselves!

Raistlin

Kolgar said:
I know - that's got to be a bitter pill for you to swallow.

Not really ... see my post above. Amazon sales charts have been gone over many times in this thread.

Besides the VC-1 codec, MS's big reason for backing HD DVD is to counter Sony and Blu-ray. Put the squeeze on their competitor on as many fronts as possible. Meanwhile, they're beavering away on their downloadable movie service.

So I don't think MS is really concerned about the next-gen movie format war. Certainly not enough to ever announce a Blu-ray add-on drive for 360, even if BD were to win the war definitively tomorrow.

What I'm getting at is that I find the statement dumb, and it certainly doesn't do much for the credibility of Mr. Hunt's "professional" analyses.

You are forgetting iHD.

Regardless, one thing many people are overlooking is the future of the X-box. As has been discussed many times, one of MS's main reasons for entering the console market is the entire living room media center war against Sony. That is where the real battle lies.

Assuming MS releases another console in the future (one would assume this is the case) ... the question becomes, what media will it use? The reality is, a true downloadable-only console just ain't happening next-gen. Another reality is that DVD obviously ain't gonna be enough. If an argument can be made that DVD is a bottle-neck to devs this gen, then next-gen it would obviously be crippling.

It isn't a difficult stretch to assume MS would really rather not have to use a Sony drive in its next gen console. For that reason, MS would certainly like to see HD DVD win. If that doesn't happen however ... and BluRay comes out on top ... it is quite doubtful MS would not include a BD drive next gen.

As to an add-on for 360 this gen? ... while possible, A LOT of things would have to fall into perfect alignment. I personally doubt it.

Raistlin

Kolgar said:
Onix, I agree with pretty much all your points. I appreciate your thoughtfulness; you come across as a bit more level-headed than Mr. Hunt. :lol

:) Thanks.

That's what makes this whole format war so interesting. There's validity to both approaches and a certain unpredictability to these things that means it could go either way - or neither way - despite these companies' best efforts.

It's almost as fun to watch as the movies themselves!

Yep. Many of us are playing favorites (myself included) ... but I won't be entirely 'crushed' if my format doesn't win.

My worst-case scenario is that neither survives :p

Captain N

I really am tempted to start up my own website where I capture the stuff in HD and review them. I want to be able to video reviews for blu ray & HD DvD discs. Anyone want something like that? no one answered before..anyone wanna help?

Raistlin

Captain N said:
I really am tempted to start up my own website where I capture the stuff in HD and review them. I want to be able to video reviews for blu ray & HD DvD discs. Anyone want something like that? no one answered before..anyone wanna help?

I'd definitely like that.

I really wish I could help too, but my job is just killing me right now. The next few months are going to put my on suicide-watch.

lupin23rd

A little OT from all the sales trash talking going on but I had a question:

Equilibrium is I believe available on HD-DVD in Japan. I haven't seen a Bluray version out, so I assume it's not.

However in North America, this title is pre-2005 Dimension Films, which I believe is still Disney property so it would (at this point) be a Bluray movie should it come out (not that I'm holding my breath for this title), correct?

Sold the DVD to a coworker and just wanted to make sure :lol

m

Captain N

Onix said:
I'd definitely like that.

I really wish I could help too, but my job is just killing me right now. The next few months are going to put my on suicide-watch.

Yeah, my work is crazy right now too, but hopefully I can get the site up and running before the big holiday rush..I just hope there isn't a Mr. Skin out there(Knocked up ref.)

Mrbob said:
The question becomes, what will the PS3 price be this fall? $499.99 is pretty much confirmed now, but will it go lower?

It will depend on whether or not Sony keeps 60gb as standard or replaces it with the 80gb. If 60gb is still there, I expect it to be $449.99 and 80gb for $499.99. $150 price drop on the 60gb.

JB1981

DarkJediKnight said:
It will depend on whether or not Sony keeps 60gb as standard or replaces it with the 80gb. If 60gb is still there, I expect it to be $449.99 and 80gb for $499.99. $150 price drop on the 60gb.
I figured the 80gb was going to replace the 60gb entirely, creating one sku - 80gb for $449.99

Christopher

You'll never guess what I found guys when I was looking for my god damn headset to talk in WarHawk - my blu-ray booklet!!

Are the pirates movies covered under the 10 dollar rebates?

Mrbob

Christopher said:
You'll never guess what I found guys when I was looking for my god damn headset to talk in WarHawk - my blu-ray booklet!!

Are the pirates movies covered under the 10 dollar rebates?

Unfortunately, no.

Haven't posted in here in a while... piss poor showing by HD DVD last week. The Matrix sales are definitely on the low side, but considering the quality of Revolutions and how much the box set costs, it's not that surprising.

I think Bill Hunt is crazy to say that either Blu-Ray wins or both formats fail. That's bullshit, pure and simple. HD DVD can win, especially if those Wal-Mart rumors prove to be true and when the players are down to $199. I'm not saying HD DVD will win, but it's not impossible; crazier things have happened. Universal's own higher-ups have all ready said that it will all come down to the 4th Quarter of this year, so I highly doubt they are surprised by the low sales right now...

I picked up 40 Year Old Virgin yesterday, despite mixed reviews on the picture quality, and I was pretty impressed overall. It's not a visual tour de force, but it's definitely a huge upgrade over DVD and I'm very happy with my purchase. Also, this may be one of the few movies where the "unrated" scenes are actually worth a shit. I found them to be pretty funny and even added to the backstory a little bit. I would definitely recommend it to any HD DVD owners sitting on the fence.

Finally, the Matrix trilogy looks and sounds amazing, but I can see how the Pirates movies would look better (simply because of the setting of those movies).

http://www.tvpredictions.com/whip060207.htm

Philadelphia (June 2, 2007) -- I note with interest the crowing by Disney and the (Blu-ray Disc Association) about the sales of the Blu-Ray releases of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies vs. the HD-DVD sales of The Matrix.

(Editor's Note: Pirates outsold The Matrix by nearly 4-1 in unit sales, although The Matrix's disc collection was priced much higher. See article.)

I would like to add some analysis as well as opinion to the press releases on this subject. One must look past the numbers quoted to see the real story -- the paltry sales of both formats.

With the PS3 and standalone BD players, the installed base is claimed to be over 1.5 million. It is not known what the HD-DVD install base is but Toshiba has claimed over 100,000 standalones sold plus another 150.000 XBox 360 add-ons.

With that install base, the sale of the Pirates films averaged about 23,500 for each. Hardly anything to crow about. In fact, those numbers are grim anyway you look at them.

It is also unfair to group both of the Pirates movies together and compare that to the two box sets of The Matrix films and make a 4:1 comparison. They need to be compared apples to apples not apples to oranges.

The Matrix sets sold 13.900 vs 23,500 sets of Pirates. If you want to argue that the Pirates movies sold 47,000, then one could argue that the Matrix movies sold 41,700 -- more than a respectable number considering the difference in the numbers of players sold.

Either way, the numbers of discs sold for both are downright embarrassing for BOTH formats. One must wonder why the studios even bother with HD
optical media in light of these sales figures. If one looks further into the sales figures for the other movies release like Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, one sees sales about equal for both at less than 6,500 per for both Blu-Ray and HD for Iwo JIma and less than 2,800 for Flags.

The studios would been better off sticking with the standard DVD. Despite the spin put out by Disney, they can't in any way be satisfied with the sales of the Pirates movies on Blu-Ray. On a percentage basis, HD DVD is far outselling Blu-Ray. Should HD-DVD player sales continue to rise, their sales figures will as well.

What is clear at this juncture is that both formats are in their infancy and in real danger of not making it at all. Look at Fox which pulled all their announced releases and have not announced a new date for any of them. The reason could be that fact that the AACS encryption code was cracked. It is also possible that the discs sales were so low that they saw no reason to go to the expense to produce them.

Every time I go into a Best Buy or Circuit City, I see the same large pile of dusty Night at the Museum Blu-Ray releases sitting there. Perhaps that is an omen of things to come, with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD being relegated to the dust bin of history.

Nothing new about some of his facts/opinion, except about the sales of Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima. Didn't know they were this low.

One have to wonder when or if the HD optical discs will be able to hit 100 000 discs per release someday...

Oni Jazar

The Main Event said:
One have to wonder when or if the HD optical discs will be able to hit 100 000 discs per release someday...

Hopefully by this holiday season with lower priced player models (including the PS3) and blockbuster summer new releases. Casino Royal was close. I'm surprised that Pirates didn't come as close as CR.

Oni Jazar said:
Hopefully by this holiday season with lower priced player models (including the PS3) and blockbuster summer new releases. Casino Royal was close. I'm surprised that Pirates didn't come as close as CR.

CR was a new release at the time. Both versions of pirates were re-releases- most who bought them already owned a copy on DVD.

I'd expect films new to blu-ray/DVD like Spidey 3, and Pirates 3 to do bigger numbers.

Mrbob

You better have some patience if you are into hi def movies, because it is going to take a couple years to start supplanting DVD.

I don't know why all these analysts and predictors make these grand proclamations (especially what seems on a weekly basis) about the future of the format, when they should know that it is going to take time. It took DVD a couple years to take off, and it'll probably take these hi def formats a little longer.

Of course, this brings in the babble talk about digital downloads but that will be a pipe dream for about another 10 years. Broadband isn't where it needs to be. Neither is storage capacity.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Manmademan said:
CR was a new release at the time. Both versions of pirates were re-releases- most who bought them already owned a copy on DVD.

I'd expect films new to blu-ray/DVD like Spidey 3, and Pirates 3 to do bigger numbers.

Yep. And come down guys damn. They are both new formats. We know that it will be a blu-ray disc that makes it to 100,000 out the gate first. Which one is the question and when will it happen?

My guess is it might be Spidey 3.

Crisis

Banned
The Main Event said:

That article provides a lot of insight, but it fails to mention one thing. If you took the sales of Blu-Ray and HD DVD out of context and just looked at them as numbers, then no they don't sell all that great. However, there are millions upon millions of DVD players out there. There's not as many Blu-Ray or HD DVD players out there. The price and the format war are keeping a lot of people away from either format. If there were one format, sales would improve drastically. Not DVD-level, but they'd start getting a lot better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ChrisJames said:
HD DVD can win, especially if those Wal-Mart rumors prove to be true and when the players are down to $199. .

There is one fly in the Hardware pricing ointment. Current HDDVD pricing is down to Toshiba being really aggressive.

Future Hardware price cutting (and the Walmart rumoured player - still a rumour BTW) will rely on forthcoming SoC development from the likes of Broadcom. These chips do bluray decoding just as well as HDDVD, so cost savings are valid for both sides. This will allow manufacturers to greatly simplify the costs of their players. Plus bluray/HDDVD drive prices will be plumetting (well at least the bluray ones will after the volume of PS3s that have been produced)

so IMO any genuine pricepoint that HD-DVD can acheive when SoC gets rolling can be met (at least approximately) by bluray.

Kolgar

That's true about the cost reductions applying to both formats, Mrklaw. But it'll still be a boon to one format or the other if Wal-Mart chooses to side with one player.

mckmas8808

Kolgar said:
That's true about the cost reductions applying to both formats, Mrklaw. But it'll still be a boon to one format or the other if Wal-Mart chooses to side with one player.

I still can't figure out why Wal-Mart would side with one player. If anything they should go with the one that's selling the highest at the moment IF they HAD to chose.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Kolgar said:

HD-DVD fanboys have been holding Walmart over us like the sword of damocles. But they haven't really justified why Walmart would choose one format over the other; if the work done by chinese manufacturers brings parity to both HD-DVD and Bluray players, then where's the advantage?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mrbob said:
Of course, this brings in the babble talk about digital downloads but that will be a pipe dream for about another 10 years. Broadband isn't where it needs to be. Neither is storage capacity.

It SHOULD be a pipe dream for another 10 years, but I think it will be a player much sooner. Their solution to the bandwidth problem will be shitty (compared to these HD disc formats) quality.

Crayon Shinchan said:
HD-DVD fanboys have been holding Walmart over us like the sword of damocles. But they haven't really justified why Walmart would choose one format over the other; if the work done by chinese manufacturers brings parity to both HD-DVD and Bluray players, then where's the advantage?

It also ignores the obvious fact that margins are a lot higher on the software than the hardware, especially on the cheaper players.

With the way Blu ray is currently pummeling HD-DVD in software sales, if Walmart has to pick a side, it's not likely it'll be HD-DVD

Kolgar

mckmas8808 said:
I still can't figure out why Wal-Mart would side with one player. If anything they should go with the one that's selling the highest at the moment IF they HAD to chose.

Doesn't the Wal-Mart model emphasize sales volume? Inexpensive products at huge volumes. That is, they pick the stuff they can sell at a great value, and their scope and scale allows gynormous volume. Wal-Mart rakes in the cash.

Which HD format looks to be ready for primetime, pricewise, by holiday 2007?

Makes sense to me.

mckmas8808

Kolgar said:
Doesn't the Wal-Mart model emphasize sales volume? Inexpensive products at huge volumes. That is, they pick the stuff they can sell at a great value, and their scope and scale allows gynormous volume. Wal-Mart rakes in the cash.

Which HD format looks to be ready for primetime, pricewise, by holiday 2007?

Makes sense to me.

Why wouldn't they just not choose right now?

Why pick HD-DVD when so far this year they are only pulling in 32% of the sofware sales nationally?

Kolgar

Crayon Shinchan said:

Parity? I don't know about parity. If Chinese tech enables cost reductions, then I imagine both formats will drop in price, but BD tech is not identical to HD tech. I understand it's inherently more expensive. So I'm further guessing that HD will retain a price advantage in hardware.

I also see an advantage in that HD DVD's spec has been finalized and studios are able to release their movies with the features they want, right now. Isn't Sony's upcoming $499 or $599 player going to lack compatibility with the BD-J spec that's coming later this year? I don't know for sure, but this is what I've heard, so please correct me if I am wrong. Is this good or bad for consumers? Is a new, $500 player that doesn't support soon-to-be-released features a good value, or a bad one?

As for why Wally World might choose one format over the other, see my reply to Mckmas. I'm no expert, but I would think sales volume might have something to do with it. Not to mention the fact that they likely don't want to subject their customers to a format war. Maybe they believe they'll just decide the thing for them.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Kolgar said:
Parity? I don't know about parity. If Chinese tech enables cost reductions, then I imagine both formats will drop in price, but BD tech is not identical to HD tech. I understand it's inherently more expensive.

Oh? Leaving Toshiba's aggressive subsidy aside, why is it inherently more expensive?

What primary components are causing the extra expense? If the chipset is same/similar and the laser the same/similar... then what else is there left apart from the spit and hope of fanboys?

Either way, the numbers of discs sold for both are downright embarrassing for BOTH formats. One must wonder why the studios even bother with HD optical media in light of these sales figures.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago I read somewhere that Blu-ray and HD-DVD adoption is happening quicker than DVD was at this point in it's lifespan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom