• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolgar

mckmas8808 said:
Why wouldn't they just not choose right now?

Why pick HD-DVD when so far this year they are only pulling in 32% of the sofware sales nationally?

As I understand it, Wal-Mart wants a decision soon. They need one because the margins on DVD software aren't what they used to be. So they want a new format, but maybe they don't want to confuse their customers so they'll just go ahead and make the decision for them. Hey, I'm guessing. :lol

(Does anyone know if there's a cost difference between HD and BD discs? To resellers, I mean? Again, I'm under the impression that BD is a more expensive format - in replication, in hardware - so I wonder if unit prices of software are higher, too. If so, that might also affect Wal-Mart's stance on which format to support, if indeed they ever decide to support one over the other.)

And why pick HD DVD despite the sales difference, you ask? Because the market for HD movies is PIDDLY at the moment and sales today don't mean very much. But I think Sony made a mistake trying to win a format war with a game console - look at the miniscule attach rates and the discomfort that pricing gap likely causes among other BD manufacturers.

Maybe Wal-Mart recognizes that while HD DVD is selling fewer discs, the attach rate is significantly higher than Blu-ray - and that an install base composed of standalone players is a stronger foundation on which to build a new format. Combine that with the fact that HD DVD seems to fit quite nicely with Wal-Mart's "low-prices/high-volume" marketing approach, and I'd say again: it makes sense to me.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm just hypothesizing here for fun. I don't know what will happen and, as a dual-format owner, I don't much care. Both formats have their strengths and weaknesses. Both have taken different approaches, and there are still a lot of surprises left in store. But if price is the key to mass-market adoption, and I think that's a pretty generally accepted idea, then it makes sense to me that HD DVD still has time left before the final buzzer sounds.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Kolgar said:
As I understand it, Wal-Mart wants a decision soon. They need one because the margins on DVD software aren't what they used to be. So they want a new format, but maybe they don't want to confuse their customers so they'll just go ahead and make the choice for them. Hey, I'm guessing.

(Does anyone know if there's a cost difference between HD and BD discs? To resellers, I mean? Again, I'm under the impression that BD is a more expensive format - in replication, in hardware - so I wonder if unit prices of software are higher, too. If so, that might also affect Wal-Mart's stance on which format to support, if indeed they ever decide to support one over the other.)

And why pick HD DVD despite the sales difference? Because the market for HD movies is PIDDLY at the moment and sales today don't mean a hell of a lot. But I think Sony made a mistake trying to win a format war with a game console - look at the miniscule attach rates and the discomfort that pricing gap likely causes among other BD manufacturers.

Maybe Wal-Mart recognizes that while HD DVD is selling fewer discs, the attach rate is significantly higher than Blu-ray - and that an install base composed of standalone players is a stronger foundation on which to build a new format. Combine that with the fact that HD DVD seems to fit quite nicely with Wal-Mart's "low-prices/high-volume" marketing approach, and I'd say again: it makes sense to me.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm just hypothesizing here for fun. I don't know what will happen and, as a dual-format owner, I don't much care. Both formats have their strengths and weaknesses. Both have taken different approaches, and there are still a lot of surprises left in store. I don't know who will win, but if price is the key to mass-market adoption, then it makes sense to me that HD DVD still has time before the final buzzer sounds.

I still can't understand why Wal-Mart would chose the disc with the least movie companies backing it.

It doesn't make sense imo. Best Buy I believe sells more electronics that Wal-Mart and they are selling both. Wouldn't Wal-Mart selling one to early hurt them compared to a company like Best Buy?

With cheaper players and a higher attach rate, it wouldn't be that odd for Wal-Mart to choose HD-DVD. They'll just figure that the studios will be forced to get on board due to Wal-Mart's pressure. They do push studios around, there's a 4:3 '40-year-old Virgin' just for their shelves, and Showtime's 'Weeds' is in 4:3 on DVD because Wal-Mart wasn't going to carry it otherwise.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
beermonkey@tehbias said:
With cheaper players and a higher attach rate, it wouldn't be that odd for Wal-Mart to choose HD-DVD. They'll just figure that the studios will be forced to get on board due to Wal-Mart's pressure. They do push studios around, there's a 4:3 '40-year-old Virgin' just for their shelves, and Showtime's 'Weeds' is in 4:3 on DVD because Wal-Mart wasn't going to carry it otherwise.

So why would they not want to sell Blu-ray movies again? Aren't the blu-ray movies generally cheaper in stores?

And don't they sell the PS3 in Wal-Mart?

Kolgar

Crayon Shinchan said:
Oh? Leaving Toshiba's aggressive subsidy aside, why is it inherently more expensive?

What primary components are causing the extra expense? If the chipset is same/similar and the laser the same/similar... then what else is there left apart from the spit and hope of fanboys?

One look at the specs tells you SOMETHING's different. Blu-ray doesn't read 20GB more data per disc without a more complex mechanism, right? And maybe the higher bandwidth is "free" on the chipset, but I wonder about that, too.

So I'm asking more than telling, but it seems to me that BD tech is inherently more expensive than HD DVD tech. If not, then shame on some of those BD manufacturers for putting out $800-1200 players when Toshiba launched at, what, $499?

Also, that remark about "the spit and hope of fanboys"? That's the kind of crap I really dislike, and I'm surprised (well, not anymore) how often I see it spewed by BD fanboys. I don't see the need for such arrogance and condescension, especially over something so trivial as a movie-format "war." If you have some facts to dispute what I'm saying (asking), then please type away. I'm happy to listen. But I don't see that you did and I don't like the implication of your statement.

edit: **** it. I'm going out to get some fresh air. There's a real world out there too, you know? :)

The only rumor was that Wal*Mart was ording a ton of cheap HD-DVD players. The notion of them backing one format exclusively was pure fanboy wishful thinking. There's been no substatial rumor of that at all.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
mckmas8808 said:
Yep. And come down guys damn. They are both new formats. We know that it will be a blu-ray disc that makes it to 100,000 out the gate first. Which one is the question and when will it happen?

My guess is it might be Spidey 3.
My guesses would be Spidy 3, Pirates 3, and if the BD+ gets whatever it needs and FOX starts releasing movies again Die Hard 4, and the Simpsons movie.

Also i think its possible 300 sells a combined 100k on both formats given its immense success at the box office.

pioneertruehdgd7.png

New Info: Included with the new Pioneer Blu-ray player is Ghost Rider and Superman Returns. Both of these movies will have PCM 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1. Warner will release its first PCM + True HD title on Blu-ray with Superman Returns (which will replace the current disc) and follow up another PCM + True HD combo with the Greek Epic, 300. Batman Begins will also be released in 2007 with PCM + True HD, with or without PIP.

djkimothy

DarkJediKnight said:
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/7407/pioneertruehdgd7.png

Sad about Superman Returns having TrueHD/PCM now that I have the old version, but great that 300 will have the right audio codecs! :D

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Kolgar said:
One look at the specs tells you SOMETHING's different. Blu-ray doesn't read 20GB more data per disc without a more complex mechanism, right? And maybe the higher bandwidth is "free" on the chipset, but I wonder about that, too.

So I'm asking more than telling, but it seems to me that BD tech is inherently more expensive than HD DVD tech. If not, then shame on some of those BD manufacturers for putting out $800-1200 players when Toshiba launched at, what, $499?

Also, that remark about "the spit and hope of fanboys"? That's the kind of crap I really dislike, and I'm surprised (well, not anymore) how often I see it spewed by BD fanboys. I don't see the need for such arrogance and condescension, especially over something so trivial as a movie-format "war." If you have some facts to dispute what I'm saying (asking), then please type away. I'm happy to listen. But I don't see that you did and I don't like the implication of your statement.

edit: **** it. I'm going out to get some fresh air. There's a real world out there too, you know? :)

You know what I dislike? FUD.

If you don't know why the players are cheaper or more expensive, then simply don't speculate, and don't speak as though you know what you're talking about.

What factor of the player costs lie in business terms (i.e. subsidies vs profit) and what lies in actual manufacturing costs?

All you've got is idle speculation; not even particularly logical speculation; just hopeful, and in favour of your format of choice, on the basis of some spurilous rumours.

Zen

Banned
The Main Event said:
http://www.tvpredictions.com/whip060207.htm

Nothing new about some of his facts/opinion, except about the sales of Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima. Didn't know they were this low.

One have to wonder when or if the HD optical discs will be able to hit 100 000 discs per release someday...

I think they'reforgettign that not every PS3 can be counted as an actual PS3 that has an owner that in into the high def war.

Kolgar

Crayon Shinchan said:
You know what I dislike? FUD.

If you don't know why the players are cheaper or more expensive, then simply don't speculate, and don't speak as though you know what you're talking about.

What factor of the player costs lie in business terms (i.e. subsidies vs profit) and what lies in actual manufacturing costs?

All you've got is idle speculation; not even particularly logical speculation; just hopeful, and in favour of your format of choice, on the basis of some spurilous rumours.

Ah, projection can be fun, can't it, Mr. Crayon!

For someone who's trying so hard to sound as if he knows so much, you still haven't blessed me with any of your blinding knowledge. Please educate me, Mr. Crayon, for as I said before - I'm looking for answers, too.

I can't say I have a format of choice, because they're both pretty cool. But I do think HD DVD has done a better job of delivering on the promises of HD up to now, that they've been a little smarter and less obnoxious with their strategy, and that they've brought more value to the consumer with affordable and complete hardware. I also admire how spunky they've been for such a huge underdog. But if Blu-ray were to win tomorrow, I'd simply take pleasure in having witnessed the experiment and probably celebrate an end to the format war by purchasing The Descent in one of those neato blue cases.

But let me guess, you play strictly on one side of the fence, right? You seem to be fairly biting your nails in hopeful anticipation of a BD win.

If you don't like my "idle" speculation, then take some time in your next post to offer some substantial content instead of merely revealing your own fear, uncertainty, and doubt over your format of choice. I'd gain more from an exchange of ideas than by listening to you simply pooh-pooh mine without any meaningful reasons why.

Nice post Kolgar.

On an unrelated note, I bought the Eternal Sunshine HD DVD recently and watched it last night. It's easily one of my favorite movies ever after two viewings (had never seen it before) and it looks truly great in Hi-Def. Awesome, awesome movie. Great acting, great directing, the list goes on... I love the way the movie ends...

Sorry I can't give any opinions on Blu-Ray releases, I truly wish I could, but right now I only have an HD DVD player so that's all that I can give impressions on. Hopefully somebody finds it helpful...

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Kolgar said:
Ah, projection can be fun, can't it, Mr. Crayon!

For someone who's trying so hard to sound as if he knows so much, you still haven't blessed me with any of your blinding knowledge. Please educate me, Mr. Crayon, for as I said before - I'm looking for answers, too.

I can't say I have a format of choice, because they're both pretty cool. But I do think HD DVD has done a better job of delivering on the promises of HD up to now, that they've been a little smarter and less obnoxious with their strategy, and that they've brought more value to the consumer with affordable and complete hardware. I also admire how spunky they've been for such a huge underdog. But if Blu-ray were to win tomorrow, I'd simply take pleasure in having witnessed the experiment and probably celebrate an end to the format war by purchasing The Descent in one of those neato blue cases.

But let me guess, you play strictly on one side of the fence, right? You seem to be fairly biting your nails in hopeful anticipation of a BD win.

If you don't like my "idle" speculation, then take some time in your next post to offer some substantial content instead of merely revealing your own fear, uncertainty, and doubt over your format of choice. I'd gain more from an exchange of ideas than by listening to you simply pooh-pooh mine without any meaningful reasons why.

All I know is that both players use the same laser pickup and they user similar chipsets. The requirements to decode one is not much more taxing then the other. They both have similar (if not identical) functionalities.

The only reason then one would be significantly cheaper than the other is because one company is taking losses (not unlike the PS3) in order to get their product out on the market cheaper than it should be; in the hopes that this will help them out in the long term.

For Toshiba; cheaper players can come about if they're willing to let chinese manufacture and sell them directly. For the blu-ray manufacturers, the savings may not be as direct; they may simply be sourcing cheaping components from chinese manufacturer while attempting to retain some level of profit after assembly and branding.

Given the level of investment by Bluray Association, there's simply no way that if Toshiba's strategy does make a big difference, that they wouldn't compete to match it. They have a massive advantage in terms of studio support... It's unfortunate that they're not been as aggressively competitive as Toshiba, but at the same time they don't need to be (yet).

But in a protracted price war; it'll only give Universal more justification to cling on longer as masters of the HD-DVD domain. When they're done there, they'll simply jump ship over to Bluray and be celebrated as the company that put an end to the HD format war (even though they're the assholes that are prolonging it).

In the end, it'll come down to whether you want to see player prices come down first, or a single format with all HD media on it first; because no matter how Toshiba/Universal plays the game, the cards are stacked against them... and there isn't going to be some fairy tale ending for them.

For me; as someone that already owns a PS3/bluray player, I'm much more interested in seeing a united format before mass market player prices. Because regardless of the prices, movie companies will still be releasing their movies (especially after the BDJava+ layer gets sorted out).

beermonkey@tehbias said:

picardwtf.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
They're re-releasing Superman on Blu-ray because they were too lame to put TrueHD on the disc in the first place? (they had it ready [HD-DVD version] and there were no technical restraints from putting it on the Blu-ray besides wanting to push their HD-DVD agenda).

Free replacements for those who bought the original or WB can go **** themselves as I'm not buying anymore of their discs on either format.

The Toshiba deal for the $299 HD-DVD along with the 5 HD-DVD movie offer is pretty dang tempting. Trying to convince my brother into buying it as I didn't care much for the 360 HD-DVD player when I had it, but I'd love to try an actual dedicated box.

Edit - About WalMart and which side they are choosing. I'm not sure but with the PS3 section at mine there about 3 or 4 BluRay movies offered. I don't see any HD-DVD movies there.

Mrbob

Bebpo said:
They're re-releasing Superman on Blu-ray because they were too lame to put TrueHD on the disc in the first place? (they had it ready [HD-DVD version] and there were no technical restraints from putting it on the Blu-ray besides wanting to push their HD-DVD agenda).

Free replacements for those who bought the original or WB can go **** themselves as I'm not buying anymore of their discs on either format.

Total HD!

Wooooo.

ChrisJames said:
I'm not saying HD DVD will win, but it's not impossible; crazier things have happened. Universal's own higher-ups have all ready said that it will all come down to the 4th Quarter of this year, so I highly doubt they are surprised by the low sales right now...

As I've said, it's not impossible for HD DVD to take the lead and win. What gets me is Universal throwing down the towel until 4th quarter 2007.

Let's see what happens in 4th Quarter 2007:

- PS3 price cut will substantially boost sales along with hit games.
- Pirates 3, Spiderman 3, Simpsons, Die Hard 4, Silver Surfer *these will be big sellers in Q4 even if some are released in Q3*
- Much closer price gap between Blu-ray and HD DVD vs 4th Q 2006 (PS3 wasn't readily available in late 2006)

HD DVD has:
- Toshiba players possibly at $199
- Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, Bourne Ultimatum. And that's really it. Catalog titles don't sell for shit unless it's a blockbuster. And Universal isn't exactly loaded with blockbusters that don't happen to have Spielberg's name on it. And as we've seen with Matrix boxsets, they also don't sell so I don't expect Battlestar Galactica to sell well. Heroes will do well, and Bourne alright, but I think Spiderman 3 alone will outsell all of these combined.

It's what I've been saying for a long time now: hardware don't sell software. Software sells hardware. People banking on the fact that once DVD players hit $$99 - 199, its sales shot up, need to look at the circumstances. At the time, DVD was clearly past VHS as the dominant format. When HD DVD hits $199, it won't be the dominant format. And with internet available, people aren't going to simply dive into a format because the player prices are cheap. If that was the case, we would have seen a rise in HD DVD disc sales, but it hasn't. Despite HD DVD having more releases than Blu-ray since March, it gets beat pretty much every week. Where is the effect of the Toshiba price drop?

Blu-ray has done nothing yet in terms of a price cut on anything really. The lowered priced Sony and Panasonic isn't even released yet. Yet HD DVD lost by 70:30 ratio in its biggest week in format history.

Unless Universal knows something we don't, I don't see where the optimism comes from. If they're banking on the HDA2 as their saviour come Q4, I think they'll be even more shocked than from seeing the Matrix Sales numbers.
-

DarkJediKnight said:
Let's see what happens in 4th Quarter 2007:

- PS3 price cut will substantially boost sales along with hit games.
- Pirates 3, Spiderman 3, Simpsons, Die Hard 4, Silver Surfer *these will be big sellers in Q4 even if some are released in Q3*

HD DVD has:
- Toshiba players possibly at $199
- Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, Bourne Ultimatum. And that's really it.
-
BR + Ratatouille
HD + Evan Almighty

But I agree obviously. HD-DVD is in trouble.

Captain N

I don't know about you guys, but when I go and see a movie now..when the trailers are running I tell myself what format they'll be on. I just saw Knocked up on friday and I can't wait for the combo to come out on HD DvD.

Edit - Also..does anyone know of a good site to order my movies from that will sometimes ship early?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Brotherhood of the Wolf mini-review:

1) The movie still kicks ass. If you havent seen it, rent it on DVD. Its the best French Period Piece, Horror, consipricy theory kung fu movie ever made.

2) The French use some sort of voodoo. The first time I turned it on, it played a trailer for all of Studio Canals HDDVDs, and asked me to pick english or France. Now when I turn it on, it doesnt play the trailer and the movie has English subtitles by default.

3) You can move the position and size of the subs, so I throw them down in the letterbox section at the bottom. Real cool.

Picture quality on this is very very good. There are some scenes that are a little soft and some scenes with a slight bit of grain. That keeps it from being tier zero, but its a solid tier 1 title. The opening fight in the rain is completely reference quality, so is the assault on the beast and the final showdown. The special effects havent aged well, but the creature design is so freaking cool, it doesnt matter. If you have seen the first matrix movie on HDDVD, its about on par with that. Some scenes are good not great for PQ, while others are completely perfect.

Sound Quality comes with DTS-MA which is my first movie using the lossless DTS codec. My standalone XA2 handled it flawlessly and sounded great in my home theater. In my game room, the 360 HDDVD add on decoded it into a 5.1 DD mix and it sounded better than the SD DVD. Very impressive. This movie is encoded REALLY loud though. I had to set my home theater to 25 on volume to listen and not get yelled at. I normally have it near 40. Also, this doesnt apear to have the pal speedup issue that some imports have had that makes people sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Its in French and the only actor Ive ever seen in anything else in the girl from the Matrix sequals, and she sounded exactly the same.

Overall: If you like this movie and have an HDDVD player, it cost 40 bucks to import. Sound quality and PQ are both very good. If the price doesnt make you cringe, its worth it.

Edit: I should point out this is the full "directors cut" version of the film. Its the only version Ive ever seen, but I guess there are some shorter version out there.

StoOgE

Captain N said:
Edit - Also..does anyone know of a good site to order my movies from that will sometimes ship early?

Warner Brothers home video is the best if you are buying a WB movie. Pay 5 bucks for "express" shipping and you usually get it early.

jjasper

Good to hear about Brotherhood of the Wolf, I have been thinking about maybe getting a stand alone HD DVD player for a little while now and this would definately be one of the first movies I would pick up for it.

StoOgE said:
Warner Brothers home video is the best if you are buying a WB movie. Pay 5 bucks for "express" shipping and you usually get it early.

When I preorder from them a bunch of movies during one of the sales I just used the standard shipping and got each of them the Friday before release.

Speaking of which I finally watched all of the fountain in one seating, um intresting movie

Oni Jazar

DarkJediKnight said:

Don't forget to add Batman Begins. That sucker has legs for HD DVD and I would imagine it will sell at least as well on Blu-ray when it comes out.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
I didn't get that movie. Interesting visuals, though.

Yeah I got it during the warner sale cause someone had told me that it would look good in HD (I am guessing he was talking about the space stuff) but after watching the movie I really have no idea what the movie was about other than the modern story stuff.

djkimothy

jjasper said:
Yeah I got it during the warner sale cause someone had told me that it would look good in HD (I am guessing he was talking about the space stuff) but after watching the movie I really have no idea what the movie was about other than the modern story stuff.

It was about a man coming to grips with death. :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
djkimothy said:
It was about a man coming to grips with death. :)

In three different eras. The loose ends just didn't tie up very well, IMO. Especially the historical one, that one seemed totally unrelated to the other ones, and the bizarre sequence at the end of that one just left me shaking my head.

djkimothy

VanMardigan said:
In three different eras. The loose ends just didn't tie up very well, IMO. Especially the historical one, that one seemed totally unrelated to the other ones, and the bizarre sequence at the end of that one just left me shaking my head.

The real plotline is the "present day one."

The historical timeline is merely Izzy's perception of the current events. The reason why it didn't tie up in the end was cause
she died and couldn't finish it. So Tommy had to finish the rest.
The inquisitor being the "cancer" that wants to kill her.

The future I find was the internal termoil of Tommy and his perspective of things.

They do take a lot of artistic liberties in this film I admit. But I loved the visuals.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
djkimothy said:
The real plotline is the "present day one."

The historical timeline is merely Izzy's perception of the current events. The reason why it didn't tie up in the end was cause
she died and couldn't finish it. So Tommy had to finish the rest.
The inquisitor being the "cancer" that wants to kill her.

The future I find was the internal termoil of Tommy and his perspective of things.

They do take a lot of artistic liberties in this film I admit. But I loved the visuals.

The future was also the real plotline.

Awesome movie,visuals and the score is one of my favs of all time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Was the tree in the future Izzy then? cause that's how I saw it. And he was taking her to that star she kept talking about. The past, though, that still doesn't make any sense.

ghostmind

I'm going to post my question here, because it is relevant and it isn't gaining much traction on the main page:

There is a bit of a disturbance going on at the AV forums about the PS3 not being able to pass DTS MA (and maybe Doby TrueHD?) as bitstream to the new Onkyo 605 reciever...

My question, which may be somewhat ignorant to those of you who know this stuff, is why would anyone want a compressed audio format (Dolby or DTS) when the PS3 can send uncompressed PCM? Is there an advantage to using one of these new HD compressed formats, or as long as Blu-Ray discs support uncompressed PCM is this all much ado about nothing?

djkimothy

The tree in the future I'm not sure. I considered it as Izzy as it is traveling to Xibulba (death) and there are a number of references that indicate it's Izzy. But then he has visions of Izzy within his "ship."

I actually find the Future timeline to be the most confusing IMO, but its visuals were breathtaking. The score was absolutely beautiful and is what gives this movie "strength" to hold up its confusing plot points.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
Was the tree in the future Izzy then? cause that's how I saw it. And he was taking her to that star she kept talking about. The past, though, that still doesn't make any sense.

I didn't know, I thought it might have been
the tree he planted on her grave at the end since it was talked about in the movie

Also how far into the future was it and why was he alive?
Did the stuff he used on the monkey end up extending human lives as well?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
VanMardigan said:

Yes, the tree is the one he planted at her grave and it essentially is Izzy (as she explains how that one Mayan guide told her the story of his father being the tree).

The past is everything in the book. The final scenes at the Tree after he kills the Mayan priest is what Tommy wrote into the book as the last chapter.

The present is real, and in the present he finds the cure to death.

The future is real, as he has cured death, and he travels to Xibalba with Izzy in hopes that she will be reborn, but he finally comes to the realization that in order for him to be with Izzy again, he must die. Izzy constantly telling him to "finish it" does not mean he should finish the book, he already has. "Finish it" refers to him accepting death as an act of creation (as Izzy put it).

The movie is very hard to fully understand in one viewing, two is almost required.

edit - i'll spoiler it i guess...

djkimothy

jjasper said:
I didn't know, I thought it might have been
the tree he planted on her grave at the end since it was talked about in the movie

Also how far into the future was it and why was he alive?
Did the stuff he used on the monkey end up extending human lives as well?

I think the tree seen in all 3 timelines are essentially
the same.
It has its meaning in each timeline.
Past: the source of immortality; Present: Hope for a cure for this brain tumor with anti ageing effects; Future: represents Izzy, as it travels to Xibulba to die only to be reborn again. I think it's merely a visual vessel to illustrate Tommy's plight to cheat death.

According to the trailers the future is 2500 AD. But I wouldn't take that literaly, the future timeline, IMO, is just figurative and is just privy to what is going on in Tommy's head. IMO.

StoOgE

Ghostmind

There isnt really an advantage sound quality wise between PCM, DolbyTrueHD or DTS:MA. They all should sound the same.

Theoretically Dolby TrueHD and DTS:MA still require processing by the player (since they have to be uncompressed and encoded as PCM by the BRD/HDDVD player), so if you dont like the way your player decodes something, maybe the reciever could do a better job of it. To be honest, at least with HDDVD the player does a great job of encoding it as PCM

Some BRD only have TrueHD, but for the most part, it really doesnt effect anything. Its technophiles being technophiles and worrying about things that dont matter.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
XMonkey summed the movie up perfectly :)

ghostmind

StoOgE said:
Ghostmind

There isnt really an advantage sound quality wise between PCM, DolbyTrueHD or DTS:MA. They all should sound the same.

Theoretically Dolby TrueHD and DTS:MA still require processing by the player (since they have to be uncompressed and encoded as PCM by the BRD/HDDVD player), so if you dont like the way your player decodes something, maybe the reciever could do a better job of it. To be honest, at least with HDDVD the player does a great job of encoding it as PCM

Some BRD only have TrueHD, but for the most part, it really doesnt effect anything. Its technophiles being technophiles and worrying about things that dont matter.

So HDMI 1.3, and these new recievers that can decode DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD sent via bitstream aren't all that useful, since uncompressed PCM via HDMI is just as good, or better, anyway? Unless new Blu-ray discs start dropping PCM for TrueHD or Master Audio...

StoOgE

ghostmind said:
So HDMI 1.3, and these new recievers that can decode DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD sent via bitstream aren't all that useful, since uncompressed PCM via HDMI is just as good, or better, anyway? Unless new Blu-ray discs start dropping PCM for TrueHD or Master Audio...

Exactly. HDMI1.3 isnt what people think it is. The players do the decoding as of now just fine. Until something starts only sending TrueHD or DTS-MA signals and not reencoding it as PCM. Right now, all the HDDVD players take care of it, and Blue Ray has PCM tracks allready that require no decoding. Its possible they might start making HDDVD players that only output the bitsream and dont encode it, but as of now, its a non issue.

The other HDMI1.3 goodies are Deep Color and the ability to synch sound with image. HDMI 1.2a allready has the ability to do the latter (the sound synch).. and while Deep color would be completely awesome (mroe colors used) nothing supports it. HDDVD and BRD dont have it as part of their specs.. and the likelyhood of it being adopted in broadcast TV or gaming isnt that good also. It may catch on one day, but not anytime soon.

Go get an awesome HDMI 1.2 reciever and dont waste your money tilting at the windmill that is HDMI 1.3.. its all marketing and very little substance.

MS has very much a vested interest in the format war and with HD-DVD in particular Because of VC1. They want both physical media and download as with both they can reap the rewards of the licensing fee.

I do not know however if HD-DVD can use Sony's compression/encoding format. If it cannot then MS really has a vested interest as killing BR off leaves a single physical format and a single standard encoder which is theirs.

I do not know how the licensing costs per movie work though, if it is #manufactured, per title per format, or just per title. Does anyone know the business side of this?

A cheap Blu-Ray player makes for a 3-4 pagre thread in the gaming area, due to the notion that it will force the PS3 down in price or that the PS3 will tank upon its release, and barely gets mentioned here!

Ignatz Mouse said:
A cheap Blu-Ray player makes for a 3-4 pagre thread in the gaming area, due to the notion that it will force the PS3 down in price or that the PS3 will tank upon its release, and barely gets mentioned here!

Is the BD drive and what powers it remotely close in cost to the other components in a PS3 that keep its price high? This is an honest question not a shitty internet comment BTW.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:

That's because we KNOW that

A. Ps3 price will drop regardless of this new player

B. It won't affect Ps3's sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom