• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
VanMardigan said:
It's no sillier than folks spending money to get portable dvd players or watching their dvd's on their laptop. If you own HD DVD movies, why wouldn't you want your next laptop to be able to play them (in addition to your SD DVD's)?

And about Bill Hunt, I don't see the point of his article. "HAY GUYS, I PICK BLU RAY" months after people who read his site already knew that. A revelation that really wasn't.

The silly part isn't wanting to watch your HD-DVDs on the go-- that makes perfect sense. it's the inclusion of a drive in every laptop with that as a the justification. It's just not that big a market at all, as many pro-HD-DVD people keep reminding us.

As far as Bill Hunt-- a perfectly level-headed summary of a position in reaction to a very very silly AICN article, and here, the HD-DVD crowd puts down the reasonable response. Typical. Somehow, having an opinion on the format wars invalidates your opinion on the format wars-- that's what I'm hearing. Oh, that makes perfet sense.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
And about Bill Hunt, I don't see the point of his article. "HAY GUYS, I PICK BLU RAY" months after people who read his site already knew that. A revelation that really wasn't.
This is a silly way to try to downplay his article in a thread that's built almost entirely on people like yourself continuously reiterating their positions on this format war until they're blue in the face.

Bill Hunt's article is a rebuttal to Harry Knowles comments on these new formats. Harry being a prominent figure in the movie biz who now chooses to weigh in on these prerecorded HD formats, it's only rational to expect his comments to generate new discussion from other experts in the field, esp. when some of HK's statements were erroneous in the first place.

The situation with any new format, regardless of whether there is a format war to make things even more interesting, is extremely fluid as people try to gauge its chances for success. The situation constantly gets reassessed as new players weigh in, sales figures get updated, etc. That's what this thread is all about, after all. And if guys like you and Ignatz and Mana and Stooge can have an ongoing dialogue about it, despite the fact that you are all clearly entrenched in your favor of one format over the other, why can't Bill Hunt participate as well, esp. as a well-established expert in the f**king field?!?

MattXG

Banned
Blu-Ray is the new Beta-Max.

HD-DVD will hit $150 LONG before Blu-Ray....and its over for Blu-Ray at that point.....

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
MattXG said:

HD-DVD will hit $150 LONG before Blu-Ray....and its over for Blu-Ray at that point.....

:lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think what we should really be doing is making fun of harry knowles. Bill Hunt didnt need a rebutal article.. he just needed to post "Harry Knowles is a manchild" and that would be that.

I worked at a theater in high school, and Harry came in (sadly I live in the same city) because we had a press screaning that day (they normally happen during the day, and I guess this guy counts as "press"). That guy showed up an hour early and sat on a bench in the lobby all alone eating popcorn for a whole hour. Absolutely Hilarious.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
The silly part isn't wanting to watch your HD-DVDs on the go-- that makes perfect sense. it's the inclusion of a drive in every laptop with that as a the justification. It's just not that big a market at all, as many pro-HD-DVD people keep reminding us.

If it significantly raises the price of their laptops, I'll agree. I don't think that's going to be the case, because we're talking about 2008 and I think the prices will have dropped significantly on both sides. The Blu-Ray inclusion in the Ps3 helped BR, but hurt the Ps3's standing in the gaming segment because of price. I agree that Toshiba will be taking a very similar (and calculated) risk by doing the same with their laptops. If the can keep the prices in the same range as they are now, though, I don't see why it's a silly move at all.

As far as Bill Hunt vs. AICN, it's just not the same thing because of their previous stances. One, we didn't know about, one we did. So one wasn't redundant, while one was. Again, I'm not saying that the piece shouldn't have been written, but that it wasn't terribly relevant because we knew where he stood on the issue beforehand. I'm tired of debating this though, especially with folks who attack angles I never even broached. For example, I never defended AICN's reasons as making sense, nor did I feel like the article was a big deal for HD DVD.

Sanjuro

So what are the numbers looking like for HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray in terms of marketshare? I thought that HD-DVD took a huge dip around the holiday season and was on its way out.

Anyway I'm not biased. I'm just looking to get a HD-DVD player after getting rid of the PS3. Need one for TMNT 8/7. =)
TMNT_film.jpg

SRG01

SanjuroTsubaki said:
So what are the numbers looking like for HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray in terms of marketshare? I thought that HD-DVD took a huge dip around the holiday season and was on its way out.

Anyway I'm not biased. I'm just looking to get a HD-DVD player after getting rid of the PS3. Need one for TMNT 8/7. =)
TMNT_film.jpg

You might as well save up for the new Sony BD player if TMNT is coming out on multiple formats.

Then again, what interactivity does the HD-DVD option offer?

jjasper

SanjuroTsubaki said:

In terms of Marketshare:
it is + BD w/PS3, and +HD DVD w/o PS3
BD disks sell better than HD DVDs

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SanjuroTsubaki said:

TMNT_film.jpg

about 30/70 in favour of Bluray.

Don't know why you ditched your PS3 if you wanted a HD movie player. That shit just doesn't make sense yo!

Sanjuro

SRG01 said:
You might as well save up for the new Sony BD player if TMNT is coming out on multiple formats.

Then again, what interactivity does the HD-DVD option offer?
I'm debating. I can get a 360 HD-DVD addon for $90. It also has Batman Begins and the titles have been coming out a bit more than usual.....but I honestly don't care who wins I just want one format and enough of this exclusive bullshit.

Crayon Shinchan said:

Don't know why you ditched your PS3 if you wanted a HD movie player. That shit just doesn't make sense yo!

I ditched my PS3 becuase there are no must have games available for it. Someone posted in another post what the PS3's demographic is and the answer was MGS4 and FFXIII fans. I just want MGS4 and that appears to be it for games that arent available for both consoles.

Oni Jazar

VanMardigan said:
As far as Bill Hunt vs. AICN, it's just not the same thing because of their previous stances. One, we didn't know about, one we did. So one wasn't redundant, while one was. Again, I'm not saying that the piece shouldn't have been written, but that it wasn't terribly relevant because we knew where he stood on the issue beforehand. I'm tired of debating this though, especially with folks who attack angles I never even broached. For example, I never defended AICN's reasons as making sense, nor did I feel like the article was a big deal for HD DVD.

AICN is huge and someone definitely needed to come out and slap down all those silly reasons they are supporting HD DVD. Did AICN ever respond to Bill Hunt?

Crayon Shinchan said:

Some folks just don't like to use their game console to view their movies (me included).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Main Event said:
Some folks just don't like to use their game console to view their movies (me included).

That seems like a lame reason, especially when the Ps3 is rated as such a good BR player.

Sanjuro

VanMardigan said:
That seems like a lame reason, especially when the Ps3 is rated as such a good BR player.
I payed $400 for a console to play games on not watch Blu-Ray movies. I would never pay that ammount of money to watch a leftover movies on a format that might fail. Has nothing to do with the quality of the player which was fine.

StoOgE

VanMardigan said:

I think the reasons are twofold:

1) Historically, game machines are terrible DVD players. PS3 and 360 seem to both be very good at DVD and BRD/HDDVD players.. but there is a stigma.

2) Game systems have had some issues with drives dying in the past. Especially the PS2 and Xbox. Now with the three rings of death, et al people dont want to wear game machines out playing movies.

Mrbob

People need to evolve their thinking, especially when talking about the PS3 and Blu Ray. But hey, feel free to go spend more money on a worse stand alone blu ray player. It is your money after all.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I payed $400 for a console to play games on not watch Blu-Ray movies. I would never pay that ammount of money to watch a leftover movies on a format that might fail. Has nothing to do with the quality of the player which was fine.

Yet you are ready to go buy a HD DVD player.

Better hang tight for the next 18-24 months.

Sanjuro

Mrbob said:
People need to evolve their thinking, especially when talking about the PS3 and Blu Ray. But hey, feel free to go spend more money on a worse stand alone blu ray player. It is your money after all.

Yet you are ready to go buy a HD DVD player.

Better hang tight for the next 18-24 months.

Little under $90 for HD-DVD vs. Over $400 PS3.....I would say my thinking is evolved to not be foolish.

rubso

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
Those look damn nice. But not for me, whether it had HD DVD, SuperHD DVD, Blu-ray, Pink-Ray, Purple-Ray, whatever. HD Movies = big screen, because anything less would be uncivilized.
agree, but the laptop has an HDMI port :D It should help watching HD-DVDs on your TV!
Mrbob said:
guess what, I might sell my PS3 and pick up the upcoming 499.99 USD Sony Blu-ray player.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SanjuroTsubaki said:

Ok. Your logic fails.

Ready to pick up a HD-DVD player, which has a much higher chance of fail.

But you use that as a reason against not wanting to hold onto the PS3?

If I didn't know better, it would seem almost like you're just trying to troll the PS3/Bluray

Mrbob

Your numbers are odd, but whatever.

I wasn't address you at all with the "evolved thinking", so don't get so defensive. I was addressing the A/V enthusiasts who will spend more money on a Blu Ray player than a PS3 when they all run slower, have more problems, take forever to load movies, etc. Unless you need those analog sound outputs.

You seem hesitant to put money into either format until there is a winner. Of course movies cost money too, so would you want to buy movies of the losing format? That is why I said hang tight for the next year and a half or so to see how things shake out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Little under $90 for HD-DVD vs. Over $400 PS3.....I would say my thinking is evolved to not be foolish.

But you already owned a Ps3, so it was $0 vs. $90 until you screwed up and sold it.

StoOgE

Crayon Shinchan said:
If I didn't know better, it would seem almost like you're just trying to troll the PS3/Bluray

Says the guy who just said this in the same post:

Crayon Shinchan said:
Ready to pick up a HD-DVD player, which has a much higher chance of fail.

JB1981

I'm not gonna lie, even though I know HD-DVD players (the cheapest ones) are $299 now, seeing the price tag at Circuit City last night was still very surprising to me. It also helped that the Toshiba 1080p LCD they had it paired up with was like $1700. It started to sink in that HDTV pricing is starting to get down to much more palatable mass market prices. 720p sets are falling fast as well. I saw a lot of 3LCD and DLP sets for $999 - and these were 46" TVs. This Xmas is going to be fascinating. I think HDTVs and players are going to sell very well. 360 and PS3 are going to pick up, too, imo.

I actually think the PS3 might see quite a nice turnaround this Xmas if the price comes down to $399-$450.

StoOgE

VanMardigan said:
But you already owned a Ps3, so it was $0 vs. $90 until you screwed up and sold it.

I think his point was he didnt want a PS3 as a game console, but did want the 360 as a game console.. so the PS3 would essentially only be a BRD player for him, while the 360 would be a game console/HDDVD player.

The logic makes sense if he just doesnt want to play PS3 games.

Sanjuro

StoOgE said:
I think his point was he didnt want a PS3 as a game console, but did want the 360 as a game console.. so the PS3 would essentially only be a BRD player for him, while the 360 would be a game console/HDDVD player.

The only man with logic has Shawn Michaels in a snowglobe. What a world.

Van, I don't think it's silly to include the players in the laptops-- I think the justification given is silly.

It's a vary smart move, and likely to help out the format a lot, and I completely agree that cost won't that big a factor.

rubso

Banned
JB1981 said:
I'm not gonna lie, even though I know HD-DVD players (the cheapest ones) are $299 now, seeing the price tag at Circuit City last night was still very surprising to me. It also helped that the Toshiba 1080p LCD they had it paired up with was like $1700. It started to sink in that HDTV pricing is starting to get down to much more palatable mass market prices. 720p sets are falling fast as well. I saw a lot of 3LCD and DLP sets for $999 - and these were 46" TVs. This Xmas is going to be fascinating. I think HDTVs and players are going to sell very well. 360 and PS3 are going to pick up, too, imo.

I actually think the PS3 might see quite a nice turnaround this Xmas if the price comes down to $399-$450.
I doubt a PS3 price drop this year, and I doubt it will do a great job this Xmas since MGS4 was delayed as I remember.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
StoOgE said:

The logic still doesn't make sense, IMO. He didn't want the Ps3 as a game console, but he already owned a top of the line HD player by default. So, he didn't have to spend a dime to play the BR movies, while he'd have to pay $90 (on top of the $399 for the 360) for HD DVD.

I guess I could see this working out if he sold his Ps3 to pay for his 360 + HD DVD drive, but even then, he took a big step back in terms of AQ. I guess it depends on how much HD movies he will end up watching.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Talk about Sony trolls. This thread has been derailed to the max.

I think you need to look in the mirror a bit there. It does seem odd that you just sold off one of the best-value BD players out there and then express interest in the format. Now, assuming you didn't know BD was the current favorite to win *and* that you didn't know that the PS3 is a excellent BD player, that makes some sense... but you could be a little less hostile when people inform you of that fact.

JB1981

rubso said:
I doubt a PS3 price drop this year, and I doubt it will do a great job this Xmas since MGS4 was delayed as I remember.

ps3 price drop is all but guaranteed. no doubt about it.

anyway, not going to derail any further, just throwing up some thoughts

btw, that Toshiba Regza LCD was fugly. Horrible motion blur. Shitty blacks. Really sharp though. I think it's only safe to buy sets from the Big Guys in the HD era. Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Pioneer. Everything else that I've seen has been straight-up shit.

djkimothy

MattXG said:

:lol

Weren't you just banned for such comments before?

I do believe though that HDDVD will reach 150$ before blu-ray, but has that had any bearing now?

rubso

Banned
JB1981 said:
ps3 price drop is all but guaranteed. no doubt about it.

anyway, not going to derail any further, just throwing up some thoughts

btw, that Toshiba Regza LCD was fugly. Horrible motion blur. Shitty blacks. Really sharp though. I think it's only safe to buy sets from the Big Guys in the HD era. Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Pioneer. Everything else that I've seen has been straight-up shit.
Samsung > ALL
links for the Toshiba Regza LCDs you saw, please?

Sanjuro

VanMardigan said:
The logic still doesn't make sense, IMO. He didn't want the Ps3 as a game console, but he already owned a top of the line HD player by default. So, he didn't have to spend a dime to play the BR movies, while he'd have to pay $90 (on top of the $399 for the 360) for HD DVD.

I guess I could see this working out if he sold his Ps3 to pay for his 360 + HD DVD drive, but even then, he took a big step back in terms of AQ. I guess it depends on how much HD movies he will end up watching.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I think you need to look in the mirror a bit there. It does seem odd that you just sold off one of the best-value BD players out there and then express interest in the format. Now, assuming you didn't know BD was the current favorite to win *and* that you didn't know that the PS3 is a excellent BD player, that makes some sense... but you could be a little less hostile when people inform you of that fact.
Wow.

I purchased a PS3 w/contr, movie, and game for $400. I sold a PS3 w/contr, movie, and game for $420. I know Blu-Ray has been in the lead last time I checked around February. The PS3 is a game console with the only game of intrest for me is MGS4 which is delayed.
I would NEVER spend $200+ on a HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray player.
I can purchase a HD-DVD add-on for under $90. HD-DVD is getting TMNT and already has Batman Begins.

I have not been hostile. I came in here for information and HD discussion and I was jumped on by a bunch of Sony loyalists. If anyone here doesn't see the logic in what I posted then you can simply not be helped.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
StoOgE said:

We keep going around and around and around.

Let me point you to the bill hunt article

Call it biased, call it what you want. I don't particularly feel the need to waste any more breath on the subject matter; I will paraphrase one particular point of Bill's though.

Unless things change dramatically, Bluray is a shoe-in to win this format war.

Sanjuro

Crayon Shinchan said:
We keep going around and around and around.

Let me point you to the bill hunt article

Call it biased, call it what you want. I don't particularly feel the need to waste any more breath on the subject matter; I will paraphrase one particular point of Bill's though.

Unless things change dramatically, Bluray is a shoe-in to win this format war.

Well he was just pointing out the fact you failed to see logic in someone not supporting your product at the current moment. Its cool. I still support Sony. UMDs are winning the war.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I have not been hostile.

Well, you ask which one is ahead, then you say that you're already planning on picking up a HD-DVD player, and mention that you didn't want to keep the PS3, because its a movie format with a chance of failling.

Ok, fair enough, it's '$400' vs $90 for you... but it's only $400 (which is what I'm guessing you sold your PS3 for), if you never plan on picking up another PS3. If you do... then at the very least, you'll be looking at $200, if you want to own one within a decade.

So, then what? $200 for a movie format that has a much better prospect? vs $90 with a worst prospect?

Unless Batman Begins now is worth $110 to you... I still don't comprehend why you think dropping the PS3 for a HD-DVD addon was a good idea, especially when you have an interest in Blu-ray movies, as shown by your willingness to pickup the HD-DVD drive.

If the intent for 'hostility' wasn't there, the result certainly is.

Sanjuro

Crayon Shinchan said:
Well, you ask which one is ahead, then you say that you're already planning on picking up a HD-DVD player, and mention that you didn't want to keep the PS3, because its a movie format with a chance of failling.

Ok, fair enough, it's '$400' vs $90 for you... but it's only $400 (which is what I'm guessing you sold your PS3 for), if you never plan on picking up another PS3. If you do... then at the very least, you'll be looking at $200, if you want to own one within a decade.

So, then what? $200 for a movie format that has a much better prospect? vs $90 with a worst prospect?

Unless Batman Begins now is worth $110 to you... I still don't comprehend why you think dropping the PS3 for a HD-DVD addon was a good idea, especially when you have an interest in Blu-ray movies, as shown by your willingness to pickup the HD-DVD drive.

If the intent for 'hostility' wasn't there, the result certainly is.
You dont know how to read sir.

Brofist

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Wow.

I purchased a PS3 w/contr, movie, and game for $400. I sold a PS3 w/contr, movie, and game for $420. I know Blu-Ray has been in the lead last time I checked around February. The PS3 is a game console with the only game of intrest for me is MGS4 which is delayed.
I can purchase a HD-DVD add-on for under $90. HD-DVD is getting TMNT and already has Batman Begins.

I have not been hostile. I came in here for information and HD discussion and I was jumped on by a bunch of Sony loyalists. If anyone here doesn't see the logic in what I posted then you can simply not be helped.

So here's the million dollar question. Why did you even buy a PS3? Didn't you have an idea of the games coming out?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SanjuroTsubaki said:
You dont know how to read sir.
What? That you would have never spent $200 on a bluray or HD-DVD player?

Yet for some reason, $90 is A-OK, regardless of what potential that format has in the future? Yet when it's $200, even if it's a much better bet, it comes under much higher scrutiny?

And this is coming from the guy that mistook this quote:

For this one

I replied to the first post, not the second post... and the first post was insinuating that HD-DVD was on an equal footing with Blu-ray... despite all the evidence contrary to that.

So, good sir. Not only do I know how to read. I know how to comprehend.

Sanjuro

kpop100 said:
So here's the million dollar question. Why did you even buy a PS3? Didn't you have an idea of the games coming out?
I thought MSG4 had a good shot at the holiday season. Wanted to check out the BluRay features and also Linux, Web Browse, downloadable content. I played Motorstorm and Resistance while not bad games they didn't impress me alot.

The system has alot of potential, just at the moment the 360 has games pumping out left and right that I have alot of intrest to play and also still has a vastly superior online gaming setup.

Sanjuro

Crayon Shinchan said:
Yet for some reason, $90 is A-OK, regardless of what potential that format has in the future? Yet when it's $200, even if it's a much better bet, it comes under much higher scrutiny?
Where the hell are you getting $200? You don't know how to read. A brand new PS3 is $600. I picked up a used one for $400 and sold it for $420. How the hell is a PS3 less than $400 by your accounts?

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Wow.

VanMartigan is now a Sony loyalist! We won him over! Welcome Van!

Anyway, dude, if you're not into buying potentially dead formats for that much, either wait or get the add-on, but don't come here asking for details that clearly don't matter to you. If it matters who's winning the war, that'd be BluRay right now.

In my case, I got a PS3 *for* movies, and the game-playing offset to cost of the video, not the other way around. It makes me wonder how you justified the PS3 cost in teh first place.

Brofist

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I thought MSG4 had a good shot at the holiday season. Wanted to check out the BluRay features and also Linux, Web Browse, downloadable content. I played Motorstorm and Resistance while not bad games they didn't impress me alot.

The system has alot of potential, just at the moment the 360 has games pumping out left and right that I have alot of intrest to play and also still has a vastly superior online gaming setup.

makes sense. if MGS4 is the game you are waiting for I guess you'll have plenty of time plus possible price drops.

Sanjuro

THESE are my original 2 posts...

I'm debating. I can get a 360 HD-DVD addon for $90. It also has Batman Begins and the titles have been coming out a bit more than usual.....but I honestly don't care who wins I just want one format and enough of this exclusive bullshit.

I don't understand how this can be considered hostile or fanboy? I'm honestly baffled now how upset people can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom