• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Higurashi When They Cry Hou |OT| I'll play with you. Come, cleaver girl!

Muzicfreq

Banned
2aOVLwF.gif

Now Clannad needs the same treatment

Gaspard

Uh. Just don't try to make sense out of the storyline, like any traditional mystery novels.

The story is total mess, but other than that I'm sure ppl find value in this game.

It's such a mess that Ryukishi07 literally
pieces the plot together
in the last episode.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wish we'd get the PS2 and DS arcs localized eventually even if some are fanfic-tier.

Since they have all new art separate from Alchemist's release I'm guessing they couldn't work something out.
I suppose they got Kamikanshi-hen exclusive because of that though.

kewlmyc

Already read through the original release, but I might get this down the line to support the series.

Also interested in the 6 new chapters. I assume 3 of them are Rei?

I loved Umineko, but repetitive and annoying music and really poor art (even worse than in Umineko) stopped me from getting far in Higurashi. Seems like both of my complaints was fixed in this version, so I can't wait to finally give it a go.
On somewhat related note, does anybody knows where to buy Rose Gun Days? I remember it was on mangagamer but I can't find it there anymore.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I loved Umineko, but repetitive and annoying music and really poor art (even worse than in Umineko) stopped me from getting far in Higurashi. Seems like both of my complaints was fixed in this version, so I can't wait to finally give it a go.
On somewhat related note, does anybody knows where to buy Rose Gun Days? I remember it was on mangagamer but I can't find it there anymore.

They lost the license to sell older 07th Expansion stuff at the moment but it seems like they're trying to get it back for Umineko and Rose Gun Days.

Fat4all

Banned
I really enjoy the manga, I own every volume released.

It was a pain in the ass for my shelf space when the last several volumes were double-sized :3

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Have some fun!
ModBot said:
Instructions for InfiniteNine:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (InfiniteNine, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

header.jpg

When They Cry Hou Onikakushihen Copy 2 -- MB-84A47B972D9BD992 - Taken by Seronei
Higurashi When They Cry Hou Onikakushihen -- MB-2292CA74D023B49E - Taken by Dimitri LH

aravuus

Oh cool, didn't know this was getting new art, now I'm actually interested. Hated the original art but I remember loving the anime years ago, so I'll definitely check this out.

Later, though. I'll wait for couple of more chapters to come out.

Is there a difference between the version on MangaGamer and on Steam directly? The OP mentions "all ages", that's why I'm wondering.

Now I feel bad I won =P

In any case, this was the code I entered for the raffle:

Higurashi When They Cry Hou Onikakushihen -- MB-2292CA74D023B49E

For those that are trying for the other one.

Edit: derp, now modbot updates it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
There was a naked
Satoko
sprite iirc, dunno how they're handling that in this release.

Yeah it's not considered 18+ content because context but it looks like they were safe and used the towel version looking it up.

Is there really much difference in content between the Steam version and the version of Higurashi on your site?
Since Higurashi doesn't have any adult content, there's actually zero difference between the version on our site and the version on Steam in terms of content.
The only difference is that you support us more by buying directly from our site, and gain access to the game a few hours earlier than Steam users.

Yeah it's not considered 18+ content because context but it looks like they were safe and used the towel version looking it up.

That's fine, while I do agree that context works for it, towel is probably for the best.

Getting excited to get back into the world of Higurashi, been a long while.

exoddus21

Neo Member
Hi there, this is my first post here on GAF so I think I should introduce myself. I'm Exoddus, I have been reading GAF since ancestral times but I finally decide to take part of it too!

I was going to ask about that
satoko
sprite too. It was removed in the Matsuri (ps2) remake. I see they are going to keep it.

I'm a big fan of WTC myself and I have to finish reading Higurashi. I was playing the ps2 version but with the original running in a laptop (so I could understand it as the ps2 one didn't get localized and had to import it) and left it at the final novel of the Question Arc.

I think I'll wait until it is entirely released and keep reading from there. I watched the anime, read Umimeko 3 times (2 on PC, 1 on ps3) and well, I think I couldn't forgive myself if I never finished reading Higurashi! (hell and I even read Higanbana too before finishing this).

I'm waiting for your impressions!

Howdy and welcome!

I've only read the 1st arc of Higurashi because it was the only one translated back then I think, though it was enough to show me how much better the VN was over the anime. To the point that I lamented watching the anime as it spoiled all the twists and events...

I'm looking forward to one day reading Umineko, hoping for a Steam version after Higurashi's done!

Looked up Higanbana, definitely sounds interesting, I still love the dude's artstyle.

Rhapsody

Banned
Well it's better than waiting 6 months between releases like 07th Expansion's Japanese releases. Ughh the waiting for each Umineko episode was excruciating.

They were, but it was certainly hype when each one finally got released. Always got excited to find out more clues and what happened next.

For Higurashi, it's a minor annoyance, only because I know what happens. Would've liked a faster rate, but makes sense.
I won't burn myself out at least.

Rektash

Played the original mangagamer release with PS2 sprites and a couple other mods years ago. I think the US Mangagamer OST is actually superior over the original JAP one so there goes that! I really appreciate this getting a new release but I don't think I have enough free time to justify playing this again since it is a really long vn. Earlier posts suggested an episode is about 8 hours but I can confidently say that even the shortest episode easily took me over 10 hours to complete. Then again I usually take it pretty slow when I play vns.

Overall this is a mystery vn classic, definitivly worth reading. The somewhat weaker end doesn't really subtract from the overall experience. Shit gets really tense.

Rephin

Wow. I definitely didn't play this game originally for the graphics, but man, it was not a very pretty game originally. The new pics are a breath of much needed fresh air.

Gonna buy this for sure.

Hoping there is a way to hide the usual MangaGamer engine UI, but I haven't played much of their recent releases to know if that has been given as an option though.

Their recent releases except Evangile run on Unity, and I think this game does too. I'm not sure what UI elements you'd expect them to hide though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Their recent releases except Evangile run on Unity, and I think this game does too. I'm not sure what UI elements you'd expect them to hide though.

Well the weird things on the bottom right corner that weren't in the original nScripter releases pretty much since some of the screens in the OP have it I assumed it might still be there.

Shizuka

Hou? What's up with that?

Well it's essentially MangaGamer's own version of Higurashi with some content exclusive to this verison.

Actually:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou (ひぐらしのなく頃に 奉, When the Cicadas Cry: Gift) is a new sound novel and the latest installment in the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni series. The game features a new, Umineko-esque opening movie accompanied by the song Ano Hi e (あの日へ, To That Day), created by Higurashi veterans dai and Yuduki, as well as at least two new additions to the cast. The game reuses sprites from previous installments, with the addition of new sprites for the expanded cast drawn in the style of the old ones.

The game was released in Japan on August 17th, 2014, as a "thank you gift" to fans of the series, and and includes Hinamizawa Teiryūjo (Hinamizawa Bus Stop), the original Higurashi Outbreak story, and a brand new arc called Kamikanshi-hen (神姦し編, God Violating Chapter).

As far as content that isn't new, Hou also includes the original eight arcs and Rei.

http://whentheycry.wikia.com/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni_Hou

The mixed opinions here are priceless.

Objectively speaking, the original art isn't praise-worthy.

However, given the subject matter of Ryuukishi's stories, and the music, it just works.

None of the 'more professionally designed art' has managed to capture the basic simplicity and evocative quality of the trollface, creepyface, ITSALIE face of the original art, be it Higurashi or Umineko.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ah I wasn't aware of the re-release but I imagine it's still lacking the new sprites here so small difference at least.

Objectively speaking, the original art isn't praise-worthy.

However, given the subject matter of Ryuukishi's stories, and the music, it just works.

None of the 'more professionally designed art' has managed to capture the basic simplicity and evocative quality of the trollface, creepyface, ITSALIE face of the original art, be it Higurashi or Umineko.

Well these are much better than Alchemist's generic deadpan expressions at least which is a big improvement! They actually look like they're emoting and not like some wax figurine.

Shizuka

Well these are much better than Alchemist's generic deadpan expressions at least which is a big improvement!

I agree with you, these are better than Alchemist's sprites for Higurashi, but I'd still rate Alchemist's Umineko sprites higher.

Waiting for an avatar quote.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I agree with you, these are better than Alchemist's sprites for Higurashi, but I'd still rate Alchemist's Umineko sprites higher.

I don't really think they started hitting their stride with those till Chiru really since they nailed Erika just fine for the most part.

Top Bottom