• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Higurashi When They Cry Hou |OT| I'll play with you. Come, cleaver girl!

JulianImp

Is there alot different from the Anime? Liked the anime and kinda interested in checking it out.

From what people who have read the VN have said, it seems like a lot of things were cut in order to fit the whole plot into two cours' worth of episodes, so there's probably going to be more world and character-building going on in the VNs.

Following what I've been doing with Higanbana, I'll probably write my thoughts down as I read through the VN, and I might end up posting them in here every now and then as well.

Still, I don't know if anybody would care about that kind of stuff, or if that'd be too much like hijacking the OT and turning it into a let's play thread.

Oh man, tempted to double dip for this version, if only to support all the people involved. The When They Cry series (Higurashi and Umineko) has been an amazing read from start to finish! I highly recommend it to anyone. It doesn't have 'choices' like with many visual novels, so it's literally just a straight read...for the most part. The experience is made even better with some good headphones and reading in the dark, hehehe...

OH, yeah, for all you peeps who've only seen the anime? Yeah, not even comparable. The entire first season squished a huge amount of story into a short span of time, completely rushing a lot of things and skipping or cutting some (IMHO) vital scenes. The novel gives you so much more, the experience is just more complete as a whole. Part of which is the atmosphere, and the thoughts and exposition...

Which reminds me, I read in the OP they got the original music in this version? Can anyone verify if that means even the Question Arcs got the original music? And what about sound effects, were those fixed as well? I need to decide on whether this should be the version I do a re-read of or not, or just stick my modded version.

Sora_N

I just bought it, man I'm gonna set some time aside to play this over the weekend.

Loading it on my HP Stream 7 on Steam, let's see if that works out. :)

SOLDIER

So if you apply the updated translation with the ripped PS2 sprites, are you getting an equal experience with this Steam release? Or are there further fixes that polish the game even more?

MetalDeer

Well, I'm not entirely sure if this is going to be something I'll like, but I bought it. I've been looking for a new VN, anyways.

What's the deal with the music? And will the music patch work if it's still changed?

This uses the original PC music I believe. Any patch will probably be need to be remade as this is running on a different engine now (Unity). It probably wouldn't be difficult to do as all the assets are just sitting in sub-folders and aren't even archived or encrypted. Even the scripts are just in text documents.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This uses the original PC music I believe. Any patch will probably be need to be remade as this is running on a different engine now (Unity). It probably wouldn't be difficult to do as all the assets are just sitting in sub-folders and aren't even archived or encrypted. Even the scripts are just in text documents.

Waiting on voice patch for now! I could probably do it myself but I'm actually busy for once but the patches seem to already be in the making.
JZaH5fH.jpg
Bnrbu5I.png

Durante

Bought. I won't re-read it for a long while yet, but I really want to support a solid release of this.

If you play one VN you might as well make it this one.

Soulflarz

Banned
999 isn't on Steam.

Although 999 is my favorite DS game.

I hate hyping it up to high heaven then my friends are all "THE GAMEPLAY SUCKS"

You aren't playing 999 for the gameplay/are going in acknowledging you have to redo everything a ton of times, pay attention guys ;_;

edit: Rock and a hard place scenario. If I don't hype it up, they don't touch it, if I hype it up, they expected even more.

Sora_N

Sölf;164274418 said:
I feel you. I sold the cards, hoping they will also become affordable later on... xD

The cards are worth money?

Also I like the old sprites..more expressive. Enjoying the game more with them.

Shizuka

Only thing I'm really missing from this release is the voicework. I imagine all dialogue in my head with the japanese voice cast, but it'd really help having them in this release.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Only thing I'm really missing from this release is the voicework. I imagine all dialogue in my head with the japanese voice cast, but it'd really help having them in this release.

Well the fan patch will happen just like all the other versions, but it seems the sprite guy isn't up for it so it'll have to be someone else.

JulianImp

So, in between studying for the upcoming chemistry test, I managed to read up until the point where they give you the first two tip scenes. One thing that stuck me as odd was how often Rena spaces out after Keiichi and/or Mion tease her with double entendres or anything remotely suggestive. I guess this might be Higurashi poking fun at fanservice?

Also, I just checked Kizuna and it seems it had Mion say something about revealing Renas's three sizes, which appears to be absent in the Steam translation.

I guess I'll get to read a little bit more in between each mockup test I got for reference, but I won't actually get to the part when things begin escalating until later.

ShyMel

I forgot that this had come out. Went ahead and bought the first chapter on MangaGamer, though I'm not sure when I'll get around to it. Might decide to just wait till more chapters come out and get through some of them close together.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It looks like the problem I had launching it on Windows 10 was just with the Steam version.
I think it looks much nicer with the BG patch despite the PS2 BGs not being quite as high res as the filtered photos, but maybe that'll be corrected when someone rips the PS3 verison's stuff.
Uas8vLl.png

Going to tuck this away till the voice patch then.

Shizuka

I've been playing the Steam version without any mod, just to see how it is. I'm having a lot of fun so far, halfway through the game.

Shizuka

Took me about 7 hours according to Steam, and that was including all of the tips and everything. Maybe five to six hours if you just read through the main story.

Am I slow? I'm at almost six hours and knowing the story, I'm just about the point where things get interesting, there may be another four hours left.

JulianImp

I got a few cards and put them for sale. Where do I check if they were sold?

Let me know if you manage to get it working, I'm very interested in that.

You'll see your Steam Wallet balance go up, as well as getting an e-mail with "You sold an item on the Steam Community Market".

I ended up selling my cards, and now that they're cheaper I ended up buying them back. I'll probably just end up crafting my first ever badge. Do I get a background and an emoticon after crafting the badge, or is it randomly decided if I end up getting both, one of the two or even nothing at all?

Shizuka

You'll see your Steam Wallet balance go up, as well as getting an e-mail with "You sold an item on the Steam Community Market".

I ended up selling my cards, and now that they're cheaper I ended up buying them back. I'll probably just end up crafting my first ever badge. Do I get a background and an emoticon after crafting the badge, or is it randomly decided if I end up getting both, one of the two or even nothing at all?

I just noticed I got some money, but I'm not sure which one I sold.

Oh it works! It's just time consuming finding the missing voiced parts and putting in the corresponding audio sometimes so it'll take a while.

Alright, I'll wait until everything gets sorted out.

Sparse

I just noticed I got some money, but I'm not sure which one I sold.

Valve notifies the email attached to the account.

To check in Steam, go to Market, and at the top of that page is a 'My Market History' tab. It'll tell you in there.

JulianImp

I finally crafted my badge, and got a Rena background and the marker emoticon! I wish I'd have gotten any other emoticon, but I'm pretty happy with the background, even if it's just supposed to be a common one.

Top Bottom