• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Higurashi When They Cry Hou |OT| I'll play with you. Come, cleaver girl!

Shizuka

I don't really think they started hitting their stride with those till Chiru really since they nailed Erika just fine for the most part.

I wish Bernkastel had as many sprites as Erika did overall, but that's just me. Also, I tried to log in MangaGamer's website yesterday in order to buy the game and I just couldn't log in. I typed my information, hit the "log in" button and I was redirected to a blank log in page again.

I wanted to give MangaGamer my money directly, but I guess I'll just go with Steam later today.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wish Bernkastel had as many sprites as Erika did overall, but that's just me. Also, I tried to log in MangaGamer's website yesterday in order to buy the game and I just couldn't log in. I typed my information, hit the "log in" button and I was redirected to a blank log in page again.

I wanted to give MangaGamer my money directly, but I guess I'll just go with Steam later today.
Ah thats odd I got the keys for the giveaway not too long ago.

Oh, this is already available to download on MangaGamer.
Yeah I saw when I was snagging the Steam keys to give away.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Alright raffle code worked this time!
ModBot said:
Instructions for InfiniteNine:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (InfiniteNine, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg

Higurashi When they Cry Hou Onikakushihen -- MB-43E3E7E1A09769AC - Taken by Kandrick. 11 entrants total.
Higurashi When they Cry Hou Onikakushihen2 -- MB-CD85C67AF31D8E1C - Taken by TheChaos0. 7 entrants total.

t1431702890z1.png

Hellraider

As a big higurashi anime fun I'm definitely checking this out. They took their time with the steam release. Hope it's worth it.

Excellent OT! Really looking forward to playing this. Downloading now!

Edit: or not. What time will it unlock for downloading?

Edit 2: found it, apparently at ~7 pm est? That sucks...

Zareka

Huh, I had no idea this was coming out. I really enjoyed the anime so I might have to look in to this at some point.

That old character art looks absolutely awful though, Jesus.

Awesome thread OP. I've been waiting to dig into this series again. I've watched most of the anime, and played a little bit of one of the PS2 versions. This might be a good way to go. I'm torn between this or the PS3 version. Anyone know the major differences between the two?

On a side note, I'm fortunate enough to live about an hour's drive away from Shirakawa-go, the village that inspired Hinamizawa. It's such a surreal experience every time I visit.

SOLDIER

I bought the original Mangagamer release of this game via a Humble Bundle.

I don't suppose that can result in a free upgrade to this version?

Shizuka

They mentioned previous versions were getting updated for free, but I can't find a single remark about that from recent months.

Soulflarz

Banned
must...resist...buying...

I mean my pc copy is modded to the point that its going to be very similar to this...but hng

Owning on steam is a temptation always >_>

Tizoc

must...resist...buying...

I mean my pc copy is modded to the point that its going to be very similar to this...but hng

Owning on steam is a temptation always >_>

Support the dev this way. Alt. you can always gift it or make a giveaway of it.

BasilZero

I love the anime.

It is what brought me back into anime again after having a freeze on watching lol.

I will surely get this in the future ;o

I'm so glad the VN came over to Steam.

HIGURASHI WITH BETTER ART HIGURASHI WITH BETTER ART HIGURASHI WITH BETTER ART.

HELP ME THROW MONEY AT THIS SO I CAN GET UMINEKO WITH BETTER ART.

Ahem.

So, yeah, double dipping.

Rutger

Banned
I watched the anime so many years ago, I can't believe that was almost a decade ago...

After reading Umineko, I knew I'd have to go back and read Higurashi one day.
I'm not going to buy it today, but it looks like it's finally time for me to see the real Higurashi.

Shizuka

MangaGamer didn't take my info yesterday, so I decided to wait for Steam.

Steam gives me trouble when ordering, until I hit a wall:

Your transaction cannot be completed because you have another pending transaction for one or more items in your cart.

I went back and ordered from MangaGamer, except that due to my currency conversion, I paid over 50% what I'd have paid on Steam.

At least the game is downloading now.

Sölf

Subscribed~

Finished the first 2 chapters in ~1 hour. So I guess the novel will roughly take 7-8 hours, maybe up to 10 depending on how much stuff the novel has the anime left out (if it worked like the umineko anime, which left out quite a bit). Because how the achievements work, this will also be my second 100% steam game! xD

And hnnnngh, dem cards. So much money. But I have a MIGHTY NEED for the badge! D:

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
They're apparently growing every year, but I haven't seen anything saying exactly how profitable they are.

Well growth is good although most of their titles that are well off are all have anime adaptions so maybe they should capitalize on that and draw in more casuals.
I imagine this version of Higurashi will give them a nice boost either way!

Sölf

Well growth is good although most of their titles that are well off are all have anime adaptions so maybe they should capitalize on that and draw in more casuals.

It also doesn't help that you can only pay with a credit card. I would buy quite a few games from them if they would allow PayPal, but since they don't allow that and I don't own a credit card I can't buy anything there.

JulianImp

Okay, I just read the first scene, left the game idling away while I was eating, and got three out of my four card drops so far. I'm still pondering whether I should keep them or just sell while they're new and pick them back up for cheap after supply bogs things down.

Reading up on the cards, which I just realized use the copy-pasted charcter bios from the MangaGamer description, I believe anyone would probably think Higurashi was just your run-of-the-mill dating sim if they were only given these description to read.

... That makes me wonder if anyone had that kind of misunderstanding when they decided to read Higurashi, but I guess it's plain to see that isn't the case as soon as you get to the very first scene.

JulianImp

What's the deal with cards? How do you get them and how do you sell them?

They drop at random intervals while the game is running, and you get four random drops. After that, you can either sell, trade or buy, and if you get the whole set you can craft them into a badge (that does nothing but raise your Steam level, AFAIK).

You can buy or sell them on the Steam community market, but remember to watch the buy/sell prices, since selling them for the lowest price is often a waste (unless there're like 10 copies of the card at that price), as is setting the price too high and not selling the card at all.

Once you get all four drops you become elegible to receive a booster pack with extra cards, but I think the chances of getting one are the kind that only Bernkastel would care about.

Played this for a little bit and got through the first two chapters. I vaguely recall a bit of this from the anime (I only saw the first two arcs), but not a whole lot of it, so I'm interested to follow where everything goes. I really appreciate the excellent sound in this game.

JulianImp

Played this for a little bit and got through the first two chapters. I vaguely recall a bit of this from the anime (I only saw the first two arcs), but not a whole lot of it, so I'm interested to follow where everything goes. I really appreciate the excellent sound in this game.

While it's obvious that the DS release would have worse audio, the SFX samples during the first scene were way creepier on PC than they were on DS.

I really liked coming across one scene early on in Kizuna which had voice overs for all spoken lines, so I was wondering... was there ever a release that had full voice acting?

I only wish I could unlearn Higurashi and Umineko in order to experience them from scratch once again.

Hikami

So how long is this chapter?
Said I'd try it out but I'm overwhelmed with so many other games right now, don't know if I'd have the time.

Top Bottom