• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |Beta Thread| The original assassin. [PS4+PC]

BibiMaghoo

My feats are totally broken. In the last mission either the feats from the boat show, or none at all. Every time (4) I have finished the last level, it has lost connection and so no feats are saved, or even show. It's pretty annoying.

Syriel

I think that makes 2 of us. I loved all the hitman games except gor absolution which was pants. If they do 7 episodes it will cost around £60 for the entire game if you bought each section individually. That is also presuming that each episode would be £7.50. The lack of pricing detail is annoying.

Pricing has been crystal clear for the US.

Intro Pack = $15
Add Locations = $10/ea

Buying individually = $65 total spend.
Buying as a whole up front = $60

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't really like how there's not many ways to enter the final test.

I can do the boat now without diguise (although I have to shoot the target, or subdue a lot of guards). In final test, I can get into the bathroom through a front window, but then I'm stuck. Basically at that point I have to use the sink distraction for a guard uniform, and then I'm leaving behind an un-hidden body. I might as well take out the first guard at the checkpoint and walk right in, instead of all this sneaking!

Idk, if there's a plain clothes route, I'm not seeing it. A side entrance would really help.

Does it bode well for the game that the approach is so limited in a small level like this?

Lol nvm of course someone posts a walkthrough vid that blows up my post. Although that guy is way more hans-on than me.

I just finished the final thing I had left to do (Silent Assassin, Suit Only on The Final Test). It's definitely on the easy side as you can see in the video, but that's to be expected given this is really just the tutorial. I think I'm all in and will keep my pre-order for the entire season. Can't wait!

Ha, I totally forgot that leaving a weapon causes the guard to take it to a safe box. I ended up just shooting the target in the head and quickly knocking out the guard with a hammer, then hiding both in the bathroom bin.
Still counted for the SA, Suit Only since I didn't kill the guard and hid his body.

Foffy

Banned

I can do the boat now without diguise (although I have to shoot the target, or subdue a lot of guards). In final test, I can get into the bathroom through a front window, but then I'm stuck. Basically at that point I have to use the sink distraction for a guard uniform, and then I'm leaving behind an un-hidden body. I might as well take out the first guard at the checkpoint and walk right in, instead of all this sneaking!

Idk, if there's a plain clothes route, I'm not seeing it. A side entrance would really help.

Does it bode well for the game that the approach is so limited in a small level like this?

Lol nvm of course someone posts a walkthrough vid that blows up my post. Although that guy is way more hans-on than me.

You can finish the final mission with perfect stealth without changing your attire once. :p

As for a strategy you can use, as I have no idea about the video you cite, but there's a spare Mechanic attire on the right side of the map. You can jump over the fence to get to it quickly. It's inside the complex, but you can avoid people and it's a route with no patrols.

See, it has variety! And this is small scale shit to what Showstopper showcased in Alpha. They added more options to that level since then.

Been playing the shit out of this since last night. Haven't even touched the Final Test yet, just been monkeying around with the Yacht training mission.

It's rough around the edges for sure, but this seems like it's an actual beta in the truer sense. Had the game crash on me a few times. It's clearly far from the finished build, so I can look past all of the imperfections. All you can hope for is that most of it's ironed out by release.

This is some Blood Money-ass Hitman, though. It's a training mission, and I've already replayed it several times over, trying out all of the different ways to complete it. It's fun as hell. I'm pretty much sold on it. The technical aspects and polish are the only thing I look at right now and say "Yeah, fix this!" And since it's a beta, I'm not going to overreact or read too much into those issues. The game they're making seems to be classic Hitman all the way.

Thought I'd share a few of my runs from the Yacht training mission (PS4 version):

1. Probably my favorite, most-elaborate run. If I had to guess, this was the "most right" way to do it.

2. In & out with Norfolk (Silent Assassin)

3. "Accidental" death, helicopter escape.

4. Lethal run w/ explosives. Mass panic ensues.

Syriel

It's not Silent Assassin level, but as for a side entrance, if you enter and immediately move around the perimeter to the left there is a guard shack with a patrol guard inside and another outside. You can knock out the outside guards and hide his body in a crate. Put on the uniform, then sneak in thru the guard shack and wander on into the hanger.

I don't know if this qualifies as a QTE, but when you strangle people, it has the annoying modern mechanic where you need to tap Square quickly to knock them out.

There's also a close quarters combat QTE whereas in old games, 47 just punches them or takes their gun by clicking.

No, it's where you need to dress up as Investorman and meet the target. I've done this multiple times but it's never completed for me.

This one isn't triggering for me, either. I poison the guy in the hat, get his outfit in the bathroom, then meet the target and we go upstairs where he tries to use the computer and it isn't working, then he tells me to leave. No feat.

This one isn't triggering for me, either. I poison the guy in the hat, get his outfit in the bathroom, then meet the target and we go upstairs where he tries to use the computer and it isn't working, then he tells me to leave. No feat.

Someone told me to garrote him then drag/hide his body in the office and that seems to be the trigger. Just make sure you don't get disconnected after finishing the level otherwise you'll lose progress.

vpance

Go left to the end of the building and you can climb up a pipe to the second floor window to the office where he hangs out. It's the easiest no disguise run ever.

beastlove

The AI for the civilians isn't particularly good. I went on a shooting spree and noticed that many of the civilians don't even bother running away.

https://youtu.be/0xC9Pl3pgbw

After playing MGS5 everything seems a little old fashioned. Still going to get the same though as I loved Blood Money and this is the true sequel.

Foffy

Banned
The AI for the civilians isn't particularly good. I went on a shooting spree and noticed that many of the civilians don't even bother running away.

After playing MGS5 everything seems a little old fashioned. Still going to get the same though as I loved Blood Money and this is the true sequel.

The ones that don't run aren't using the games regular AI.

There's actually a distinction between NPCs using regular AI and crowd AI. I believe crowd AI doesn't get outlines when using Instinct, and these guys usually clear and vanish from the level.

Though, in your example, it appears to be regular AI. :p

vpance

The slickness of MGSV controls will never be beat in a TPS, until Kojima's next game I guess. Navigating around, shooting and body manipulation in this feels and looks so clumsy in comparison. As long as the level design is top notch I can overlook it though. Hope they iron out those AI bugs too.

MUnited83

For you.

To be fair, its a small level with a huge quantity of NPCs, and a old build with odd performance. Chances are that having the NPCs all running away at the same time would make the framerate tank even harder. That said, they should run away in the final game. I cleared entire rooms in the alpha by Killing just a few people.

Didn't work for me.

I guess there's a reason this is a beta.

I must've done it about 10 times and it just randomly completed for me. Maybe check later and it'll show as complete for you too.

MINOR THE FINAL TEST SPOILER:

If you want to skip the conversation between the mechanics, shoot the building and they'll investigate but you need to move to the guard house immediately.

The AI is pretty broken that after you go past the guard house, stay towards the outer wall and they won't be able to spot you (but can still detect you).

The comparisons to MGS V are weird IMO. Hitman isn't trying to be that, never was. Besides the fact that they both are stealth games, the two are nothing alike, barely even comparable. It's like complaining that Demons' Souls doesn't play like Devil May Cry because they're both action games with melee

MGS V is first and foremost an action stealth game. It lets the player seamlessly shift from stealth to all out over-the-top assault in a moment, and needs to feel satisfying across that entire spectrum. You can play MGS as an action game as effectively as a stealth game. So of course the controls and combat and all that is very slick and polished to offer tight action-y shooter gameplay that lets you move around fast and flank

Hitman is first and foremost a stealth puzzle game. Sure you can go in guns blazing, but that's never really the optimal way to play despite having the options. It's meant to be a slow methodical game of observation and walking through places hidden in plain sight and setting things in motion like a murderous Rube Goldberg machine

The comparisons to MGS V are weird IMO. Hitman isn't trying to be that, never was. Besides the fact that they both are stealth games, the two are nothing alike, barely even comparable. It's like complaining that Demons' Souls doesn't play like Devil May Cry because they're both action games with melee

MGS V is first and foremost an action stealth game. It lets the player seamlessly shift from stealth to all out over-the-top assault in a moment, and needs to feel satisfying across that entire spectrum. You can play MGS as an action game as effectively as a stealth game. So of course the controls and combat and all that is very slick and polished to offer tight action-y shooter gameplay that lets you move around fast and flank

Hitman is first and foremost a stealth puzzle game. Sure you can go in guns blazing, but that's never really the optimal way to play despite having the options. It's meant to be a slow methodical game of observation and walking through places hidden in plain sight and setting things in motion like a murderous Rube Goldberg machine

So true. I have seen so many comments in streams comparing the two just because they are both stealth games.

beastlove

I think you can compare the games even if they have some majors differences in the balance between stealth & action. In MGS5 everything felt organic. A lot of the time you made decisions on the fly because the AI was so good. I am reallt enjoying Hitman but the AI doesn't seems a bit scripted comparedguy MGS, then again that is true for most games. I hope they can make the AI react more realistic in the final game. You can drop the lift boat on the guy in the first level and everyone carries on drinking. Try setting off the fire alarm on the boat and look at what the NPCs do.

Linconan

Well, i decided to go nuts and wipe out... everybody. lol

I'm loving Hitman, but it does need some attention on certain things.
Had a couple of bugs.
I'm really liking some of the AI reactions and effect (Talking, Reactions), but other times i'm left amazed, and not in a good way. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dmpdnOxmLs

Hitman sees life, and he taketh away.

Evolved1

Go left to the end of the building and you can climb up a pipe to the second floor window to the office where he hangs out. It's the easiest no disguise run ever.
lol... this is kinda what I was looking for. Thanks.

Been playing the shit out of this since last night. Haven't even touched the Final Test yet, just been monkeying around with the Yacht training mission.

Just FYI

DPAD UP: hide your currently equipped item (in the case of small items, they go in your pocket. Big items like the rifles just go on your back)

DPAD DOWN: Drop an item

Good vids

I think you can compare the games even if they have some majors differences in the balance between stealth & action. In MGS5 everything felt organic. A lot of the time you made decisions on the fly because the AI was so good. I am reallt enjoying Hitman but the AI doesn't seems a bit scripted comparedguy MGS, then again that is true for most games. I hope they can make the AI react more realistic in the final game. You can drop the lift boat on the guy in the first level and everyone carries on drinking. Try setting off the fire alarm on the boat and look at what the NPCs do.

Well, Hitman's a series where everything is meant to feel scripted, they're presenting you with a clockwork world where you observe NPCs, notice their patterns, and plan around them. You shouldn't just be diving in and making decisions "on the fly".

Haha, sorry! I posted that vid because it's the most simple and foolproof way of getting Silent Assassin, Suit Only. If you think it's hands on then you should see how the pros will handle that challenge! Have you played any previous Hitman games (Absolution, or maybe earlier ones)?

Evolved1

Haha, sorry! I posted that vid because it's the most simple and foolproof way of getting Silent Assassin, Suit Only. If you think it's hands on then you should see how the pros will handle that challenge! Have you played any previous Hitman games (Absolution, or maybe earlier ones)?
All. Absolution wasn't a Hitman game though.

I always try, at least get as close as possible, to complete the hit suit only, unseen, without touching anyone. Just for my own amusement.

I can't always do it though.

All. Absolution wasn't a Hitman game though.

I always try, at least get as close as possible, to complete the hit suit only, unseen, without touching anyone. Just for my own amusement.

I can't always do it though.
Blood Money is my favourite by a long way, but I still really enjoyed Absolution, even if it was a big departure from the other games.

Having done all of the challenges in the Beta, I find myself wishing there was point shooting so that I could go and just have some fun with the weapons...

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Since I couldn't get a beta key for this :(. I reinstalled hitman absolution and man does that game still looks incredible on PC, the game might not be the best hitman game but on a technical level it still is a graphical powerhouse for sure

Dremark

Banned
Blood Money is my favourite by a long way, but I still really enjoyed Absolution, even if it was a big departure from the other games.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I also think Absolution was a decent game. It was definitely a step in the wrong direction but I think it turn out decently.

It seems like they either learned from it or are being able to do it thier way now because if this Beta is any indication the new one is going to be great.

SJRB

Gold Member
Since I couldn't get a beta key for this :(. I reinstalled hitman absolution and man does that game still looks incredible on PC, the game might not be the best hitman game but on a technical level it still is a graphical powerhouse for sure

Visual style and atmosphere in Absolution definately is quite amazing. They did something very interesting with the lighting engine, it makes it all feel "dirty".

Managed to fully complete the Hitman Beta yesterday, got all the Assassination, Discovery, Intel, and Feats of both levels. (Why yes, I did get the Silent Assassin Suit Only in the hangar level as well)

So far my impressions, besides the obvious graphical glitches with 47' arms and the game failing to register certain feats such as the one disguised as Norfolk, it is a vast improvement over Absolution.

What I definitely liked is that people who can detect you actually make sense. Like not all guards will recognize you if you wear the uniform, just certain people that make sense to know everyone such as the cook or everyone if the group is very small such as the mechanics in the hangar. Also the new Intel mechanic is really a welcome addition to the series, as this will give plenty of new ideas to kill people. >:3

My best moment so far is definitely the Ejector Seat Assassination. X3

Paradicia

#meta

Here is poster for upcoming Jason Bourne movie;
1233835_Jason-Bourne-poster.jpg

QTSPpmH.jpg

NeoGiff

Why is it possible to pour rat poison in a glass of wine while surrounded by people, one of whom is a barman who is literally watching you do it, with no repercussions whatsoever? That's not Hitman.

I'm specifically having flashbacks to running around a hedge to sedate some doughnuts, so that eagle-eyed jogger wouldn't spot me.

MMaRsu

Why is it possible to pour rat poison in a glass of wine while surrounded by people, one of whom is a barman who is literally watching you do it, with no repercussions whatsoever? That's not Hitman.

I'm specifically having flashbacks to running around a hedge to sedate some doughnuts, so that eagle-eyed jogger wouldn't spot me.

Tweet them.. lets hope they fix the ai

Top Bottom