• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |Beta Thread| The original assassin. [PS4+PC]

Spoo

If it helps, the last thing I did was meet him as Norfolk and then garrote him and dropped his body in the office.

Seems like garroting is the thing.

Super cool story to add: I had 13/13 feats, and now have 8/13 after being DC/d and reconnecting :(

Karak

I noticed this too. Their pattern is dependent on where you are, which I'm not sure the others game did on this level. The guy on the boat for instance, doesn't leave the deck until you are on the boat at least. Perhaps this is because you can kill him without ever stepping on the boat, and this would have a window if he moved. Either way I hope that is not the case in the full game.

Ya I think this might be a case of them being training missions(reflections of past situations)
I could deal with it evening the final but I wouldn't like it as much.

Why does a game like Hitman require server stress testing?

Because it has online components.

Why does a singleplayer only game need to stresstest servers? The full game won't even require an internet connection.

With the Intro Pack, you’ll get an introduction to the world of HITMAN, with the Prologue and Paris episode. You’ll get full access to Contracts Mode, Escalation Mode, elusive targets and all other live content.

Basically game will have major online component to it with player and developer made contracts, targets that are around for limited amount of time etc. which will require online connection. It means game needs to have solid networking in place and solid backend to handle load of all players.

Super cool story to add: I had 13/13 feats, and now have 8/13 after being DC/d and reconnecting :(

I got disconnected after completing my last challenge (silent assassin everything). Didn't lose any more progress thankfully.

But those components don't really seem like things that need a persistent online connection and that could be accomplished by a client update.

It's like they're putting themselves under load unnecessarily.

Yeah seems silly but what can you do. Guess Square really wants to keep track of how many people are constantly playing I guess.

Foffy

Banned
Really hope this is an old build.
That framerate is awful. It would make me quesy to play.

IO at least confirmed the game's performance has improved since this build, if it eases you.

But those components don't really seem like things that need a persistent online connection and that could be accomplished by a client update.

It's like they're putting themselves under load unnecessarily.

They want player metrics because:

- It's live feedback, and they can use this to improve the game. Kane and Lynch 2 as well as Hitman Absolution suffered because their core issues could not get fixed; what they built on for three years couldn't be changed as it launched as a box product, and as you may be aware, most products are just dropped out and any core design fault stays with the game. In Absolution's case, all IO could ever do was tweak the disguise system, but not really overhaul it, leaving the game with a permanent mark against it, and IO as a developer doesn't like this. They believe a constant back and forth of input and feedback allows a more enjoyable experience.

- They are planning live events for the game. The most notable example of this are the Elusive Targets, 48 hour events where you have one attempt at an assassination to a unique target, potentially coming with their own edited level. Seeing how players interact in the levels might inspire them to design content around the userbase.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Yeah, I lost ALL of my feats after a disconnect. It's a testament to how fun the game is that I jumped back in right away, but it's still annoying and needs to be addressed for release.

Spoo

Yeah, I lost ALL of my feats after a disconnect. It's a testament to how fun the game is that I jumped back in right away, but it's still annoying and needs to be addressed for release.

Dude... it got even worse lol. I finally grinded out the ones I was missing on the tutorial mission, but then I turned around and was doing all sorts of challenges left and right with the second mission and when I finally ended it I was DC/d -- all gone :(

It's a beta, so I'm not too torn up about it, but yeah, this is by far and away the most egregious issue the beta has, so if the full game has anything even remotely *like* it, that'll suck hard.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
See the witcher 3. HUGE world that looks incredible. There's no excuse now.

What do you mean? I don't think one developer achieving something means every other developer suddenly can. Its not all that fair of comparison, either; this is a beta.

Dude... it got even worse lol. I finally grinded out the ones I was missing on the tutorial mission, but then I turned around and was doing all sorts of challenges left and right with the second mission and when I finally ended it I was DC/d -- all gone :(

It's a beta, so I'm not too torn up about it, but yeah, this is by far and away the most egregious issue the beta has, so if the full game has anything even remotely *like* it, that'll suck hard.

Aw man. That does suck.

I'm really enjoying it. Doesn't look as good as Absolution, but hopefully the various technical issues will be solved for release and last-minute optimisation will improve the performance a little (PS4). It's been so long since Blood Money...

beastlove

Does anyone know how many episodes will be released? I preordered the season but I am worried that later levels might be bad. Will buying each episode make it a lot more expensive?

alife

Does anyone know how many episodes will be released? I preordered the season but I am worried that later levels might be bad. Will buying each episode make it a lot more expensive?

"Remaining content will be available as six releases periodically throughout 2016, starting April 2016. As Agent 47, you will perform contract hits on high-profile targets in exotic locations around the world.

Future locations - in April visit Sapienza, Italy and track down a scientist residing in the sunny coastal town. In May, the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh, Morocco. And as the story expands you will travel to Thailand and the USA before concluding in Japan later in 2016."

You pay $5 more if you buy each episode separately.

6 episodes. If the game does well, I'm guessing they'll have a season 2. I think you save $5 by buying the season pass so it's Best to just wait for the retail release if you're scared.

Edit: }♤}¡●[

Spoo

Welp, I played the fuck out of this beta today (not finished with all the feats/challenges yet, but getting close despite unfortunate setbacks). Impressions below:

Most importantly, I love it. I love it despite its current condition, which -- whether indicative of the final product or not -- is pretty bad.

The two missions in the beta feel pretty small, but are actually reasonably sized considering they are quite three-dimensional. The boat itself has a lot of small rooms that are easy to pass right by, but if you do the feats full exploration is necessary, and you start finding nooks and crannies you didn't think were there. The final mission of the beta is more sizable, dangerous, and interesting in all the things you can do; though some of those things are kind of hard to realize you can do them until you pay close attention to the optional approaches.

As someone who loved Blood Money, but hated literally every other Hitman experience, this game is what I want it to be sans the bugs (there are quite a few; visual and mechanical), and obscenely annoying server drops, which cause lost progress at their worst. I imagine the server issues will be fixed, and the bugs to, well, not be fixed, because they are pretty systemic ones. As others have mentioned, the framerate is atrociously uneven in the beta; if it's not 30 fps locked by release, or better, PC is going to be the way to go barring disaster.

Comparisons to Absolution will be made, but I think the Instinct mode here is little more than a "see through wall" mechanic that helps to alleviate the fact that cover can't be taken in certain areas. Sure, it'd be better if they could just make their cover mechanic better, and get rid of Instinct all together; but it's not tethered to the game the same way it was in Absolution because of the costume mechanic.

It's the best of both worlds here as far as that stuff is concerned. You have enemies that are *special*, who can see through your disguise, but there are many more who can't, so its actually more realistic in a way (bosses know their employees, but employees don't necessarily know other employees -- or at least don't automatically assume those employees they don't know are there to assassinate someone). At the same time, it still feels natural and valuable to dawn on new disguises, and use them to access additional areas. So Instinct isn't going to "hide" you from the enemies who can see through your disguise, and it's not some gauge you fill up by being a badass, or whatever. It's eagle vision, and most of you will turn it off, but it's not offensive to me as it is, I guess.

In addition to weird bugs, there's some stuff that is plain weird; crazy hitching during cinematics that actually destabilize the synchronization between audio and video (wat?!), relatively long loads, and a lot of animation race conditions that lead to hilarious effects (dude typing on a computer with a wine glass tethered to his wrist, for example). Dumb, but not game-breaking. The load/save system is really quite nice though; healthy amounts of autosaving occurs, but if you're going for the harder challenges, you'll want to have your own manual saves, and there doesn't appear to be any arbitrary limit (that I noticed). The AI though has had some serious fucking hiccups that allowed me to do shit that you just couldn't do in other Hitman games. I don't know if I got lucky with the AI's FOV, but there's definitely some weird *downtime* when you kill your target where you can get away with some ridiculous shit. Since I don't actually know if it's a real hiccup or just my luck, I can't say if it's working as intended or not.

Visuals are actually pretty good. Nice image quality, models are detailed, and even though the levels seem on the smaller side here, I imagine that's because it's little more than a glorified tutorial. Animations aren't given priority when they don't need to have it, which is nice.

I dunno GAF, looks like Hitman might finally be back. Pretty excited, but I think I'll wait to see the full first level in March before I feel safe enough to upgrade to the full thing on PS4 (or PC if the framerate issue persists), and to ensure the obnoxious server-related chatter actually works (it's stupid that this game needs to verify all in-game achievements against the server in real-time, rather than queueing them up for when the player logs in).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Am I the only one who finds it amazing how if you kill someone they take them away in a bodybag lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How does one do the
Death by Proxy
challenge?

The same way you electrocute him pretty much. If you turn it off and wait, the officer says it must be the power and goes outside himself to do it.

How does one do the
Death by Proxy
challenge?

1. get the slides
2. Talk to KGB man
3. Put slides in projector
4. Turn off the switch outside when KGB and Target arrive
5. KGB man will activate power

Alternatively, you can turn off the switch then turn it on to get the other challenge.

Edit: •♤▪♡[●¡♢▪¡

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Welp.

GHqR6T0.jpg
4LYoAtQ.jpg

Also noticed when you're offline the menu has some more stuff.

yPDPVVA.jpg

Moff

I'm very glad they kept the challenges in addition to the contract mode.
both were fantastic additions to the franchise introduced in absolution. I was afraid they'd both those too just because Absolution as a whole was not well received by the fans, but they kept the great stuff.

Foffy

Banned
You have all been a based help so far, but I have one task left; in the second mission, how do you
get the target to drink? I tried at one point, as I asked earlier, but he didn't drink anything. I poisoned both glasses, if that means anything.

Spoo

You have all been a based help so far, but I have one task left; in the second mission, how do you
get the target to drink? I tried at one point, as I asked earlier, but he didn't drink anything. I poisoned both glasses, if that means anything.

Move the chess piece after you poison the glasses

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Move the chess piece after you poison the glasses

It's also the triangle option on the chess move. Don't believe the other option will make him want a drink.

beastlove

Out of interest are people mainly buying the season or just episodes? The beta is good and I have high hopes for the main game but how they have launched it is terrible. So confusing.

I don't understand the AI behavior. Knocked out a police officer and took his uniform, didn't hide his body. Sneaked to the second floor where officers are not allowed, was hiding in the kgb guy's office when I noticed that officer running around in his boxers. He entered the room, got dressed (in the kgb guys office!) and just left. How dumb is that when officers are not even allowed on the second floor and this half naked guy is running all over the place and gets dressed in the KGB colonels office?

beastlove

The AI is a bit mixed. Sometimes it is ok and the sometimes really bad. Cannot understand why the NPCs don't react when you kill someone in an accident.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Out of interest are people mainly buying the season or just episodes? The beta is good and I have high hopes for the main game but how they have launched it is terrible. So confusing.

Well, I'm getting the intro pack, at least. I'm impressed with the beta (technical issues aside) but I'm still wary after Absolution, so I'll decide where I'm going from how well I get on with the intro pack. I do prefer physical vs digital but Hitman is one of my all time favourite series... so I'm a little conflicted. 😀

Foffy

Banned

I figure I'd get the whole season. I mean, I'm a Hitman mark, so I would play all of it, anyway. And this is essentially Blood Money 2.

That said, I'm not happy with the fully episodic thing. I would have preferred the original announced model where half of the game was there at launch, but I imagine their current model works to place out content without it getting too cluttered. This also works for them as well, considering the fact their schedule allows them to
to work on a second season, as they've implied more than once that unannounced sequels are in the pipeline. The Amazon rumor of seven major locations as part of Season One appears to be true, now.

tanuki

Had a funny bug on the second mission where I took out the smoking guard in the basement and he continued to smoke while passed out. Stashed him in the locker nearby and clouds of smoke continued to leak out of the locker.

Another glitch, while Knight was drinking the poisoned vodka, I bumped into him and the glass disappeared. He told me to back away, then proceeded to pour the vodka into an invisible glass and drank it, and then did not get poisoned :p

MMaRsu

Another glitch, while Knight was drinking the poisoned vodka, I bumped into him and the glass disappeared. He told me to back away, then proceeded to pour the vodka into an invisible glass and drank it, and then did not get poisoned :p

When I was his bodyguard, I poisoned his glass. Later I wanted him to die by the jet, so I shot the glass to make sure he didnt drink it. Later he drunk from an empty glass as well :(. I was hoping hed react to the shot glass

beastlove

Well, I'm getting the intro pack, at least. I'm impressed with the beta (technical issues aside) but I'm still wary after Absolution, so I'll decide where I'm going from how well I get on with the intro pack. I do prefer physical vs digital but Hitman is one of my all time favourite series... so I'm a little conflicted. 😀

I think that makes 2 of us. I loved all the hitman games except gor absolution which was pants. If they do 7 episodes it will cost around £60 for the entire game if you bought each section individually. That is also presuming that each episode would be £7.50. The lack of pricing detail is annoying.

Top Bottom