• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitting a Major League fastball should be physically impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The elite pitchers are the ones who have movement on the fastball. You get just a little bit of movement on a 95+ fastball and he's got ace potential.

ePePmoT.gif

vikki

The batter in this gif kicks his leg and cocks the bat before the pitcher releases the ball. It's anticipation to meet the ball with the bat should the hitter swing if they think it'll be a strike. It's a timing thing, which is why a change up can be a nasty pitch.

ReAxion

Makes you appreciate Bartolo Colon's dinger even more, if that's even possible.

James Shields gives away major league home runs like he's the Make A Wish foundation.

Bonds pitch recognition at his peak was otherworldly.

Bonds was pretty close one season...he may have actually done it if he actually got more balls in the strike zone instead of all those walks.

Bonds insane single season OBP is another number never getting touched.

Tony the Gwynn: .394 in '94

The strike robbed us of his .400 and the Expos' World Series.

great video, and I love the breakdown.

What's cool about this is that most of the same science applies to backyard baseball or slow pitch softball, it's just the window for timing is much greater... And I'd wager most people in this thread have played either backyard baseball or slow pitch softball. So it's like there's this thing that is very, very difficult to do physically, yet we've all done it, and it seems like the most natural thing in the world..

Returning a tennis ball serve and saving a penalty kick is harder.

I don't know about that. Consider that the world's greatest baseball players of the day fail at hitting a baseball 7/10 times, and the world's greatest tennis players of the day succeed at returning a serve 9/10 times (I might be wrong here, but just estimating -- does anybody have the ace percentage/ace rate of high level tennis players?). A 90% success rate (Tennis) and a 30% success rate (baseball) by the greatest players in the sport seems to suggest that succeeding at hitting a baseball is more difficult than succeeding at returning a tennis serve.

(edit: Thinking about this more, the 90% number is the wrong way to think about it. IWhile the ball may be returned 90% of the time, not all returns are successful returns. But, still, it should arguably work out to something around 40 - 50%, but I don't know enough about tennis to know the success rate of a serve [e.g., does a tennis player score 70% of the time that he/she is serving? I'd imagine it'd be closer to 55 - 60%?].)

Penalty shootouts are closer to hitting a baseball. In the world cup, penalty kicks score about 71% of the time, so an average goalie success rate of 29%. In baseball, the league batting average is .256 (25.6%). This is pretty close, but it's also a relatively rare event in the sport... It's like saying that recovering an onside kick in American football is the most difficult thing in sports because the success rate is only 10%, but because it's relatively rare it's difficult to compare that to something that happens 100+ times in every baseball game, and dozens of times in every tennis match.

Surfinn

I played for about 13 years and can confirm that hitting a ball 80 MPH and up as being pretty damn hard to do. A ton of it is practice, but a lot of that practice is learning how to better predict pitches/motions of the pitcher. Pitching is fun as hell too. Having heat is definitely a good thing but there's also a lot of pitchers who are experts at throwing junk (off speed pitches, basically anything that's not a fastball). I never had a great arm so I threw a lot of junk and was good at it. Favorite pitches to throw were curveballs and knuckleballs.

great video, and I love the breakdown.

What's cool about this is that most of the same science applies to backyard baseball or slow pitch softball, it's just the window for timing is much greater... And I'd wager most people in this thread have played either backyard baseball or slow pitch softball. So it's like there's this thing that is very, very difficult to do physically, yet we've all done it, and it seems like the most natural thing in the world..

I don't know about that. Consider that the world's greatest baseball players of the day fail at hitting a baseball 7/10 times, and the world's greatest tennis players of the day succeed at returning a serve 9/10 times (I might be wrong here, but just estimating -- does anybody have the ace percentage of high level tennis players?). A 90% success rate (Tennis) and a 30% success rate (baseball) by the greatest players in the sport seems to suggest that succeeding at hitting a baseball is more difficult than succeeding at returning a tennis serve.

Penalty shootouts are closer to hitting a baseball. In the world cup, penalty kicks score about 71% of the time, so an average goalie success rate of 29%. In baseball, the league batting average is .256 (25.6%).

Aces happen roughly 30% of the time. Tennis is a terrible comparison. The ball bounces in front of the player before it's hit by the returner, giving up location and greatly reducing velocity. A tennis player needs only reach the general area with touch to return.

The difficulty in tennis comes from positioning and lateral movement. It's really amazing that you rarely hear of ACL injuries in tennis. Other leagues should take note.

Hitting a fastball isn't hard if you know a fastball is coming. As a 12 year old I was able to hit 80 mph fastballs pretty consistently when I took a few pitches to get adjusted to the speed. What's hard is knowing the pitcher has a curveball and change-up so you can't just prepare yourself for fastball the entire time. Expecting a fastball but getting a curve makes you look like a complete fool.

Being able to hit moving pitches is what really separates the minor leaguers from the pros.

I cannot comment on saving a penalty kick, but returning a tennis ball is not more difficult only because the bounce of the balls slows the movement down considerably. Also, most serve swing types are easier to pick up, whether its a flat, slice, or kick serve. Even the pros have to either toss the ball in a different sport or swing a bit differently to hit any of those three types of shots. With any amount of practice you can pick up a serve type pretty quickly, add that to waiting for it to bounce, I'd say hitting is a baseball is much more difficult.

dperrin

The batter is more or less predicting (guessing) what the pitcher will throw and swinging before he knows.

When the batter guesses wrong is when you see him swinging wildly through a chest-high fastball. When the batter guesses right is when he hits the same fastball into orbit.

While some batters might swing at pitches because they are guessing, most swings are because the players can recognize pitches and swing accordingly. They are pros who practice and master the art of hitting the ball. As a former player, (played 15 years) until college, I could hit pitches by looking at where they went rather than guessing. Some people have a natural hand eye coordination that makes them excel at hitting.

I was an OK baseball player, but some people are astoundingly good.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Boozed up fathers can't berate their children at the little league field anymore.

Just wait till little Johnny gets home and dad forces him to wear the Occulus...

I TOLD YOU NOT TO SWING AT THE CHANGEUP YOU SHIT, PUT THE HEADSET BACK ON!

IrishNinja

This is why I never really understood the debate about steroids in baseball. Yea, it will add 50 feet to your hit, but just hitting the god damn ball is the hard part. Why does whether or not a handful of guys hit 5-10 extra home runs a season going to break the entire game? You don't think when guys like Conseco or Maguire were mashing the ball there weren't literally HUNDREDS of minor leaguers juicing that nobody gave a crap about because they couldn't hit crap?

Lets put this in context; Barry Bonds. The guy was a career .298 hitter--which is pretty good considering the league average in those days was about .260-.270--and even before he started breaking records was regularly hitting 30-40 HR's a season. During the 90's his average was just over .300 a season, which is really good. Now you might be thinking "maybe more strength increases swing speed and made him hit better", but the funny thing is Bonds didn't start juicing until 1998. He had already had 3 MVP seasons, 8 Silver Slugger awards, 7 Golden Gloves, and 7 Allstar appearances.

The point I'm trying to make is, alright yea, Steroids helped Barry Bonds break the single season home run record. But he was already a future hall of famer, who was an amazing baseball player. There were probably thousands of players over that time frame in the MLB who get no notoriety because they just weren't very good compared to him. So personally, if he athletes want to get all jacked up on steroids to on average hit 5-10 more HR's that would just be fly outs, I say let them. If you can go out there and hit .300 or .320 a season, you're going to be successful no matter what. I mean shit, 41 year old Ichiro is batting like .410 right now--in the pitching dominant National League at that.

this was a good post

Hey guys, no "this sport is more <adjective> than this sport" BS or other such snide remarks.

Stop it.

this was a bad one

jdstorm

Banned
Aces happen roughly 30% of the time. Tennis is a terrible comparison. The ball bounces in front of the player before it's hit by the returner, giving up location and greatly reducing velocity. A tennis player needs only reach the general area with touch to return.

The difficulty in tennis comes from positioning and lateral movement. It's really amazing that you rarely hear of ACL injuries in tennis. Other leagues should take note.

Tennis is also different because the server isn't trying to get an Ace every first serve. Often it's safer to serve at 80 or 90 percent and back yourself to win a rally then to risk serving with a fault.

Edit: VR Baseball could be big. It worked for the Wii to a lesser degree. Appropriate controls are going to be very expensive though. Plus you will need a lot of space around you. So it won't fit in most people's office.

I'm most excited for VR laser tag warehouses

newjeruse

The crazy thing is how much harder pitches throw now than they did even 10 years ago. Every reliever is basically expected to throw in the high 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom