• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

No, not true. You can easily just see it even in Windows. Set your framerate at 60 FPS and drag a window around the desktop, then do the same at 120 FPS. The difference is plain as day
Not true.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-many-frames-per-second-can-the-human-eye-really-see/

You're talking about mouse response times, that has nothing to do with what you can see, it just cuts the lag down in very fast mouse strokes to make it look smoother. Has nothing to do with your eye. Everything to do with hardware.

Every time I jump on my broom, I find something new. There's so much I need to explore. So many caves and dens and beasts, still multiple spells I haven't learned. And broom racing? Hell yes!!!

I just can;'t get enough.

Last edited:
Wow, playing for 20 hours and then all of a sudden unlocking
Talents, flying, and Room of Requirement
one right after the other certainly changes things up.

I should know by now to progress in the main quest before getting lost in side stuff in this type of game, but I do it every time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This game is one of the few PC games that supports Dolby Atmos. So far havent been able to hear anything flying above my head but the surround quality is one of the best ive seen. im constantly hearing things from my rear speakers.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Wow, playing for 20 hours and then all of a sudden unlocking
Talents, flying, and Room of Requirement
one right after the other certainly changes things up.

I should know by now to progress in the main quest before getting lost in side stuff in this type of game, but I do it every time.
I was wondering how people could blow 20 hours before that but I can kinda see I’m over leveled myself. Think I read too much into the shortness of the main plot.

Some of the the sidequests are crap, but some of the relationship ones with students can be on par with the Witcher 3’s sidequests (not in terms of choice but writing).

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Interesting. I just unlocked talents as well and am now on to the next class, but sitting at around 10 actual in-game hours on a save. I'm guessing people are just immediately running around the full map after not being restricted?

Also, talents have opened the game up for me even further. This really should have been what I bee-lined to instead of dicking around with the initial sidequest in HW's. The second spell slot especially is nice, along with the offensive options that open up.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Interesting. I just unlocked talents as well and am now on to the next class, but sitting at around 10 actual in-game hours on a save. I'm guessing people are just immediately running around the full map after not being restricted?

Also, talents have opened the game up for me even further. This really should have been what I bee-lined to instead of dicking around with the initial sidequest in HW's. The second spell slot especially is nice, along with the offensive options that open up.
Haha I had 17 points when it unlocked for me, I had a damn shopping spree. But yeah same around 10 hours.

And Beeline the 4 spell slots, it’s a game changer.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Played on and off all day (day off) man what a fantastic game. Finally advanced story enough to unlock talents, broom and the room thing. Working on side quest again (spells and other stuff) before I do any more story stuff. Biggest surprise this gen for me, had no interest in the license, was sure this was going to be a train wreck after Gotham game.

MastAndo

Just unlocked talent points as well, and kind of hoarding them at the moment. Went for the spell cooldown and health potion increase immediately, but how's the dodge one - actually useful, or just cool looking? Any must haves early on?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just unlocked talent points as well, and kind of hoarding them at the moment. Went for the spell cooldown and health potion increase immediately, but how's the dodge one - actually useful, or just cool looking? Any must haves early on?
I had a load of points, the more spells diamonds is way useful

This is the Arkham Asylum moment of this generation. Embracer hard at work right now brainstorming a Rivendell Legacy game. The new Fable is probably getting rebooted Monday morning. Bully 2 is never happening.
Unfortunately none of its competitors will get a six years development cycle...

DeaDPo0L84

This game got so much right on its first attempt that it feels like a sequel after a bunch of fans gave the devs feedback. I just wanna get home and start playing again.

Power Pro

Are you able to change your appearance at any point in the game? I restarted a couple times cuz I just kept finding I wasn't happy with the look of my character once the game actually started. I'm very indecisive.

Part of it is I used to, and still kinda like making characters with unnatural hair colors in games...like blue, pink, purple, etc...but all the real world clowns that use those hair colors have just ruined them for me, ugh.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Are you able to change your appearance at any point in the game? I restarted a couple times cuz I just kept finding I wasn't happy with the look of my character once the game actually started. I'm very indecisive.

Part of it is I used to, and still kinda like making characters with unnatural hair colors in games...like blue, pink, purple, etc...but all the real world clowns that use those hair colors have just ruined them for me, ugh.
The barber at Hogsmede in game can change almost everything.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Okey-dokey scratch that. Just unlocked broom flying. After a slow start, I'm all fucking in - that was fantastic. I was seeing people moaning on the interwebs about the controls and I'm like "these controls are absolutely fine."

Also not seeing the performance tanks that we were seeing in videos early this week of the PC version; on a 6800XT with a 5600X running at Quality Mode, I'm able to get a pretty stable frame right (not sure if the flickering between 59 and 60 is just random noise). There are definitely still microstutters, but the performance in the air is no worse than on the ground.

One thing I will say I'm disappointed in: this game could have EASILY had a completely optional "social mode" to it. The teachers keep talking about "points" and everyone is a teen or pre-teen; the field for Persona-esque cheesy side-stories is ripe in this game. . .but they don't have it. Maybe they tried it and it just wasn't working, but I can't possibly see how or why. Like some of these little quest decisions could be given weight if they contributed to the overall progression in a "social system." You could make some sort of superflous "House System" that rewards playing to or against house "type" in your actions; maybe there's the official house point system for good actions and an "underground" merchant who sells other cool stuff for playing against type. Meld this into the quest decisions and choices in conversations. Boom! Added layer that further sells the "kids in school, but with magic" vibe of this game.

. . .I'm sure this will be revisted in some way in the inevitable HL2 or possibly HL3 (if that ever comes out - pun intended).

april6e

I cannot rave enough about how well they nailed the entire atmosphere of the books, even more so than the movies did in most areas. I have small gripes (godawful PC performance, the colored barriers human enemies have that is nothing like anything in the Harry Potter universe, boring classmates at least so far, etc). But this is easily the frontrunner for GOTY. We just need a Quidditch DLC and I could die happy.

I wish this dev team would be put in charge of making the dream open world Matrix game I've always wanted.

Last edited:
One thing I will say I'm disappointed in: this game could have EASILY had a completely optional "social mode" to it. The teachers keep talking about "points" and everyone is a teen or pre-teen; the field for Persona-esque cheesy side-stories is ripe in this game. . .but they don't have it. Maybe they tried it and it just wasn't working, but I can't possibly see how or why. Like some of these little quest decisions could be given weight if they contributed to the overall progression in a "social system." You could make some sort of superflous "House System" that rewards playing to or against house "type" in your actions; maybe there's the official house point system for good actions and an "underground" merchant who sells other cool stuff for playing against type. Meld this into the quest decisions and choices in conversations. Boom! Added layer that further sells the "kids in school, but with magic" vibe of this game...
well, i'm as big a persona fan as anyone. but this game not including this stuff is definitely one of the reasons i ordered it. just no. much rather the developers use their time/energy on other stuff (which they have)...

I’m having a lot of fun with this game, been playing for the majority of the afternoon and evening, I’m sleepy but I don’t want to go to bed because I’m really enjoying myself and want to keep playing. It’s been a while since game has hooked me in like this, can’t wait to delve deeper, I’m only level six.

zkorejo

I’m having a lot of fun with this game, been playing for the majority of the afternoon and evening, I’m sleepy but I don’t want to go to bed because I’m really enjoying myself and want to keep playing. It’s been a while since game has hooked me in like this, can’t wait to delve deeper, I’m only level six.
Kept playing until I couldn't stay up last night. Love this feeling.

First impressions from a non Harry Potter fan so far: I like it.

Watched my wife play for a few hours and found it much more enjoyable than the films ever were. The intro was excellent; the school part got a bit boring, but it's easy to see why lifelong fans would be over the moon for this experience. My wife is loving every minute of it.

The Hogsmeade part was awesome and the combat looks fun. I'm seriously considering getting the steam version to try out myself.

Atmosphere, graphics and music are top notch. Seriously, I don't care about the books and found the movies mid at best, but this game is super charming. The love that went into its production is obvious from the start.

The bartender character is ultra cringe. Hopefully there isn't a lot of that type of pandering, it's really not necessary.

zkorejo

I cannot rave enough about how well they nailed the entire atmosphere of the books, even more so than the movies did in most areas. I have small gripes (godawful PC performance, the colored barriers human enemies have that is nothing like anything in the Harry Potter universe, boring classmates at least so far, etc). But this is easily the frontrunner for GOTY. We just need a Quidditch DLC and I could die happy.

I wish this dev team would be put in charge of making the dream open world Matrix game I've always wanted.
Or a LOTR rpg with this level of detail and love for the universe. It's mind boggling HP is just getting something like this now after all these years. It's even more mind boggling that LOTR hasn't gotten a real game to take advantage of the amazing universe created by Tolkien.

Not every game needs to be so serious.. just some lighthearted fun but good story, good gameplay and a magical fantasy world that is true to it's universe.

I liked HP movies but didn't really get into it when I was a kid but a few years back. But I definitely appreciated the universe and setting. If you like that universe you will love it even more in this game because it's more immersive and because you playing in it and the devs have absolutely nailed it.

I can't imagine how cool it would be to live in a living Tolkien world like this.

Last edited:
Moment of truth...I suppose I would fit into Ravenclaw the most, but is that what I really want
That depends.

If you want to be brave and chivalrous, you join Gryffindor.
If you want to be ambitious and cunning, you join Slytherin.
If you want to be loyal and honest, you join Hufflepuff.

But if you want to be the smartest motherfucker in the room, then Ravenclaw is your home. Welcome home.

Valedix

Holy shit this might be my new fav game, I am literally going to play nothing else and probs going to platinum too lol.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
That depends.

If you want to be brave and chivalrous, you join Gryffindor.
If you want to be ambitious and cunning, you join Slytherin.
If you want to be loyal and honest, you join Hufflepuff.

But if you want to be the smartest motherfucker in the room, then Ravenclaw is your home. Welcome home.
The choice here: being a smart ass in Ravenclaw, or being in the same house as Professor Garlick in Hufflepuff :
5r9qQI6.jpg

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
We’ve finally gotten out of school and can venture outside. First person we met happened to be a lesbian. My daughter thought that was cool and wondered why people are upset because there was a gay person. Man. When a 14 year old gets it more than the entirety of Reee and a lot of Twitter, you have to know those groups are clearly toxic and a waste of space on this earth.

New pic.

FoqPF2FagAAPTR6

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Sorry if this has been discussed before....Is anyone else having some colour issues with the cutscenes?

Playing on series X and during cutscenes when it's switching between characters talking I'm having issues with the colours going funny for a split second. It's becoming annoying now!

Pejo

Man, i went into this expecting a well polished game with a bunch of references I didn't "get" since I'm not a HP mega-fan, but it's a really solid game all the way around.

Other than forcing me to cope with my PC needing to be upgraded, I can't say much bad about it. Surprisingly I really like the combat.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Professor Garlick is popular on social media. Hufflepuff the best.

Anyway, I finally got my broom. I've been messing around grinding and exploring so much I have barely touched the quests. It's cool that I have so many saved up now, but I still can't focus - there's so much of the world map I haven't seen yet!

Oh, and the room of requirement is kind of cool, but I wish there was a way to brew potions when out in the world. Having to fast travel just to get a potion kind of sucks.

It's amazing what you come across randomly:
DBuHAbx.jpg

Last edited:

bodine1231

About 20hrs in and been loving every second. HOWEVER I just got to my first battle arena and hoo boy is it awful. The combat system and camera were not made for a swarm of creatures to constantly charge at you. I spent the last 15 minutes jamming on the roll button and firing off pot shots when I could. The camera is just too close and doing good damage is built around juggling, you can’t do that when 4 wolves and 3 goblins are swinging at you constantly. Never doing one of those again.

Last edited:

zkorejo

About 20hrs in and been loving every second. HOWEVER I just got to my first battle arena and hoo boy is it awful. The combat system and camera were not made for a swarm of creatures to constantly charge at you. I spent the last 15 minutes jamming on the roll button and firing off pot shots when I could. The camera is just too close and doing good damage is built around juggling, you can’t do that when 4 wolves and 3 goblins are swinging at you constantly. Never doing one of those again.
Change the fov settings to full. The game looks and feels much better that way and helps combat too.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I just finished another quest, with a certain Slytheran girl and a shop keep, and the amount of depth and character they poured into these NPC's is impressive. They all feel a little larger than life, just like the characters from the books and movies.

And little touches like the whimsical music when you're on your broom, or the very somber tones that play when you're walking through a field and others are about relaxing, really fleshes things out.

Edit: there's a stylist in Hogsmeade that allows you to change your appearance. Cool, in case anyone was wondering

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

After finally deciding on PS5 I’m in and loving it. Just got a little freedom to go to my first classes. I’m roaming the castle a bit casting revelio everywhere 😅 stumbled into the library. Just in shock how detailed and beautiful Hogwarts is so far.

I’m 35, and in 6th grade in “reading class” our teacher had us read the first Harry Potter. Had absolutely zero clue what it was at the time, I’ve since read all the books multiple times and seen the movies but I’ve longed for such a game like this. I think I’ll have a great time with this! Maybe even go for the Platinum if it’s not to crazily labor intensive.

RafterXL

Her favorite professor

FoqQ-uPaYAY1hIA
Isn't she everyone's favorite?
Sorry if this has been discussed before....Is anyone else having some colour issues with the cutscenes?

Playing on series X and during cutscenes when it's switching between characters talking I'm having issues with the colours going funny for a split second. It's becoming annoying now!
Yeah, the cutscenes have a tint shift every time they cut from character to character. It's annoying. (PS5)
Is this still a good game if you know absolutely nothing about Harry Potter?
I'm actually watching the first movie right now because of the game. I knew nothing about this world, other than the obvious cultural relevance stuff, beforehand and the game has been an excellent experience. It's my favorite game so far this year, actually my favorite since Feb. of last year, when the juggernaut launched.

Turn off "camera based targeting" and it gets significantly better.

Pejo

To my unskilled eyes, I think the visuals can be on par with RDR2, one of the best looking games to date, IMO.

Is there a photo mode on PC? I'd like to take some screenshots but the default FoV kinda sucks for it.
MKGJ3il.jpg

bodine1231

Yeah, the cutscenes have a tint shift every time they cut from character to character. It's annoying. (PS5)

I'm actually watching the first movie right now because of the game. I knew nothing about this world, other than the obvious cultural relevance stuff, beforehand and the game has been an excellent experience. It's my favorite game so far this year, actually my favorite since Feb. of last year, when the juggernaut launched.

It’s off,its got nothing to do with that. The game is based around counters and juggling, you can’t do that when 6 or 7 enemies are charging on top of you, all you can do is just keep rolling not to get hit. And the camera is too close as well.

hollams

Gold Member
The lock-on is broken which makes fighting multiple enemies almost impossible. If I have lock-on and hit a guy that is blocking with the correct spell the lock-on will sometimes change to a different person and my next hit's won't work. I did turn off the camera based targeting and it's still not great. Sometimes when I get lock-on and hit the right stick it won't change at all, not sure what is going on.

Power Pro

I am completely stumped by these door puzzles...you reveal a clue on them, and there are 2 rotating panels that you have to select the right two on before opening the door. The first one I got by trial and error, but I want to understand how I'm supposed to do this.

Honestly, she's an ok writer at best, but she's a top tier world builder.
An OK writer? Maybe she ain't the best but cmon lol she's more than OK

She's literally the richest and most successful author of all time. It's not just down to top tier world building. Also it's not just Harry Potter she's written. the Cormoran Strike books are really good adult detective stories. She's published 6 of them already and the 7th is being written currently. Those ain't about world building but instead have two main characters who focus on a single case in each book.

SegaManAU

Gold Member

Thanks for replying. Thankfully it's not just isolated to my console/Xbox. Cheers!

Top Bottom