• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

cormack12

Gold Member
harry potter curse GIF

6VAnOdv.jpg

Chiggs

Gold Member
For people who have played deep into the game already:

1) Get a life :messenger_sunglasses:
2) Is there another main villain? The one introduced early on is, uh, terrible.

Illo

People who got the game, how is it so far? I watched the first hour or two of gameplay and it looked incredibly slow and boring. I skipped to when the MC arrives at school when the school is supposed to start opening up, but everything just looks like basic puzzles and fetch quests. The voice acting seems decent, but everything just feels weird and disjointed with the main character starting school in their 5th year.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
These are my graphics settings, I keep going back & forth on motion blur. You guys think I should keep it on or off?

IMG_2419.png
purely subjective. I like all of these effects.
Motion blur is pretty important to me as either 30 or 60 frames is not enough to create a fully smooth motion by itself.
if you play ay 60fps, that's 16ms between each frame. So each frame should be showing 16ms of motion... but that's just how I look at it.

Not played the game yet. Maybe it looks terrible

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My disc installed the same. It was not spinning in the middle and end of installation. Probably doing some unpacking

Well, maybe that, but also a download I believe. People are saying that if you do only the disc install while disconnected from the internet it's much faster, but then you can only do the character creation and intro (even though the full disc has installed). Once you move on to the proper game there's a mandatory 38GB download. So I guess that happens while installing if you are online.

Last edited:

Valedix

Well, maybe that, but also a download I believe. People are saying that if you do only the disc install while disconnected from the internet it's much faster, but then you can only do the character creation and intro (even though the full disc has installed). Once you move on to the proper game there's a mandatory 38GB download. So I guess that happens while installing if you are online.
So its confirmed you can only do the intro without downloading the patch?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So its confirmed you can only do the intro without downloading the patch?

Seems like it, yes. Or maybe even only the character creation, not sure exactly where it cuts you off. Either way, yeah, this game is not playable as is from the disc.

Last edited:
I'll never understand how you can HATE a IP, I get not liking it, I mean I don't like some IP's at all, but I don't hate them and if people wanna enjoy them, then what harm is it to me?

Someone re-word his tweet to be Crysis instead, it'd blow his mind
Linneman calls this 'children bullshit'?

Apart from him loving plenty of other games that fit that weird description closer than this one, the only child present is him with his man-tantrum. For someone who's always so smug on the DF videos, he seems remarkably fragile. And the whole flouncing off social media thing. Yawn. He'll be back within a few days lapping up the faux-concern. And I don't care he's deleted it now - he showed what he really thinks about the people who watch DF and in some cases pay them money directly. What a turd.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
interesting... but normally when there is a download there is a 2nd item in the downloads que.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
These are my graphics settings, I keep going back & forth on motion blur. You guys think I should keep it on or off?

IMG_2419.png

I’d just leave it on, some games have excessive camera based motion blur which is where I think a lot of the hate for motion blur in general comes from but this isn’t one of them, it’s very slight.

ABeezy1388

I’m just sitting here like a strange indecisive human making my 3rd post on not knowing what version I want to get lol, ps5 or pc.

Wasting precious time I could be playing but just don’t know what I want to do lol.

PC $47/57 for standard or deluxe while PS5 is $70/80. Don’t know if I want to deal with PC issues, just coming from the Witcher 3 update on PC. But also if on ps5 I gotta go graphics over frames. Ughhhh lol

Dazraell

I just hit about 20 hours on my save and still feel like I barely scratched the surface

The world is absolutely stunning and very detailed. You can really feel how much love, care and passion was poured into this game. Map isn't as big as a lot other open world games, but is filled with so many things that it still feels massive without being overly bloated

Game is really fun to play, and each of the gradually introduced mechanics are very deeply grounded in this universe and complement the gameplay loop, constantly giving you new ways to just immerse yourself in this world

I’m just sitting here like a strange indecisive human making my 3rd post on not knowing what version I want to get lol, ps5 or pc.

Wasting precious time I could be playing but just don’t know what I want to do lol.

PC $47/57 for standard or deluxe while PS5 is $70/80. Don’t know if I want to deal with PC issues, just coming from the Witcher 3 update on PC. But also if on ps5 I gotta go graphics over frames. Ughhhh lol
I was like you and I'm glad I went PS5. DualSense features are great, the game runs well and looks great, and I don't have to worry about tinkering with settings.

Last edited:

Katajx

Linneman calls this 'children bullshit'?

Apart from him loving plenty of other games that fit that weird description closer than this one, the only child present is him with his man-tantrum. For someone who's always so smug on the DF videos, he seems remarkably fragile. And the whole flouncing off social media thing. Yawn. He'll be back within a few days lapping up the faux-concern. And I don't care he's deleted it now - he showed what he really thinks about the people who watch DF and in some cases pay them money directly. What a turd.
When it came out it was kinda weird for me. Everyone seemed to hate it and make fun of people if they liked it so I didn’t know what it was about.

Suddenly in my later teen and early adult years every one loved it and I was just confused about the public perception lol

purely subjective. I like all of these effects.
Motion blur is pretty important to me as either 30 or 60 frames is not enough to create a fully smooth motion by itself.
if you play ay 60fps, that's 16ms between each frame. So each frame should be showing 16ms of motion... but that's just how I look at it.

Not played the game yet. Maybe it looks terrible
No part of your eye or brain is capable of noticing thd difference between 60 and 100fps, period. You can feel it in the movement, but you’re lying to yourself if you think uou can see it.

Played this game last night for around 7 hrs or so. This game is fantastic. It literally hits the world of Hogwarts atmosphere perfectly. This is something I can see myself playing for a long time.

Any fan of the Harry Potter Universe is going to love this game.

The studio should be proud of themselves for what they have accomplished.

Also, 40fps mode on PS5 is the way to go. Those 10 extra frames really makes a difference, especially when you don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of graphics.

BTW, anyone have tips for what casting spells I should always have equipped for enemies? I'm still not sure what set of spells offers the most effectiveness for most enemies.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Alright I don't get it: does EVERYONE in the world just know about Hogwarts and wizards? How does the MC, who presumably has never been to this part of the world, know ANYTHING about ANYTHING? I think they even say in the beginning "I've wanted this my whole life" or something along those lines. Like the MC is absolutely and utterly UNFAZED by the things happening to them. . .having lived primarily their entire life in probably the smelliest era in the United Kingdom.

. . .anywho, games finally opening up in terms of the actual gameplay and thank christ. Hard feels like a sufficient compromise between damage and spongieness that encounters aren't over in 30 seconds while also not feeling too drawn out (like equivalent level "weak" enemies go down relatively quickly, while these "elite enemies" in the first big dungeon take some hits, while still being combo-able).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No part of your eye or brain is capable of noticing thd difference between 60 and 100fps, period. You can feel it in the movement, but you’re lying to yourself if you think uou can see it.
No, not true. You can easily just see it even in Windows. Set your framerate at 60 FPS and drag a window around the desktop, then do the same at 120 FPS. The difference is plain as day

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Played this game last night for around 7 hrs or so. This game is fantastic. It literally hits the world of Hogwarts atmosphere perfectly. This is something I can see myself playing for a long time.

Any fan of the Harry Potter Universe is going to love this game.

The studio should be proud of themselves for what they have accomplished.

Also, 40fps mode on PS5 is the way to go. Those 10 extra frames really makes a difference, especially when you don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of graphics.

BTW, anyone have tips for what casting spells I should always have equipped for enemies? I'm still not sure what set of spells offers the most effectiveness for most enemies.
I think in terms of ease of memorization keep at least one of each color, plus an extra damage spell, and keep them to the same relative buttons, when you unlock the talents you can switch set-up holding right trigger and hitting the d-pad for the set-up four ways, so basically you can switch between four sets of four (once you buy the talents).

Last edited:
Top Bottom