• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hohokum |OT| Whimsical exploration, presented in Technicolor with awesome music!

Possum

zeNIC2e.png

Platform: PS4, PS3 and PS Vita (Cross-Buy and Cross-Save!)
Release Date: August 12 (NA) | August 13 (EU)
Price: $14.99
Developer: Honeyslug, Santa Monica Studio, Richard Hogg (Artist)
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Genre: Adventure (I think)

Pre-order Bonus:
  • 20% PlayStation Plus discount
  • Sound Shapes Hohokum Sound and Art Pack (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)
  • Hohokum Theme (PS3)

ScqDp7b.png

Hohokum is a distinct creative collaboration between artist Richard Hogg and Honeyslug, a London-based game studio. It is a whimsical colorful game with an emphasis on playful exploration and creativity. With the vision to create an experience free of some of the typical pressures of videogames Honeyslug delivers inspiring and unique gameplay in Hohokum.

Players take on the role of a curious flying Technicolor kite-like being. Along their travels through the vibrant world, players will be able to uncover secrets by interacting with elements around them in different ways such as carrying characters to new areas on their back or flying over objects to illuminate them. The world of Hohokum is full of surprise; even running into certain objects can be its own reward as the interaction produces a tune or sounds that add to the level’s music track. From the way a player navigates the world to the various ways characters communicate to the abstract vivid artwork, Hohokum is an expressive and mesmerizing universe. While there are goals, secrets and Trophies discovered along the way, at its heart, Hohokum is a playground — a place to wander about and get lost in.​

rlomUPq.png

Ghostly International is a multi-platform cultural curator, a tightly knit aesthetic universe fulfilling the roles of art gallery, design house, clothing designer, technology innovator, music-publishing company—and, yes, record label—in one. In the years since its birth in 1999, Ghostly has grown from a boutique label known for its experimental-pop and -techno acumen to an internationally recognized platform for the work of the world’s best visual artists, designers, technologists, and musicians.

Ghostly is collaborating with Santa Monica Studio, Honeyslug and Richard Hogg to bring the world of Hohokum alive with beautiful music from over 11 of the label’s artists. The game’s sound track features original and previous works from artists such as Tycho, Ben Benjamin, Matthew Dear, Shigeto and (many more to be announced soon!). Ghostly artists have worked closely with the team to create a musical landscape unique to every one of the 17 game worlds, resulting in a truly unique experience.

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC TRACKS REVEALED THUS FAR:
Michna - Increasing Ambition
Ben Benjamin - Temporary Aztec
Tycho - L
Matthew Dear - Temptation

Love the soundtrack? You should! You can even download the whole album, or order the Limited Edition vinyl copy HERE!​

OkDTqBe.png

ZYjWmhM.png

Q3YvPkc.png

Like GIFs!​

...and wallpapers, too!​

Thanks for viewing my very first OT! Hopefully you all like it, and I hope you'll all love Hohokum when it launches tomorrow! Be sure to get those pre-loads in. ;)

My preload failed Sunday and now there's a red X over the download bar on the store page for Hohokum.

If I try to download it says it's already downloaded or gives me an error. No tile on my home screen either.

Hope it's not borked.

Yup, the music in this is a great reason alone to pick it up.

Also, you can preview the entire OST (I assume; 22 tracks) over at Hypem.com here: [LINK TO AURAL BLISS].

I bought the digital ost + Vinyl combo. Based Ghostly Int'l.

Here are a couple more gifs for the OT!

Hohokum_GIF1-a.gif

Hohokum_GIF3a.gif

Hohokum-Hiding-sm.gif

My preload failed Sunday and now there's a red X over the download bar on the store page for Hohokum.

If I try to download it says it's already downloaded or gives me an error. No tile on my home screen either.

Hope it's not borked.

same thing happened to me, I just deleted the download and tried again

Same thing happened to me, and did the same thing Cow Goes Moo did and it downloaded fine.

I know practically nothing about this game, except that I liked what I saw ages and ages ago. Was tempted to look up more but at this point, with the game pre-ordered and pre-loaded and the money spent, why not go in blind and come in entirely fresh to the experience. It seems like it might be one of those games that benefits from that kind of an approach.

That OT can be summed up in one word - 'lovely'. Great stuff man.

God, I hope this game turns out well. I feel it could really go either way right now.

Carl

Hope it's not borked.
Go to your notifications and there should one there saying "downnload failed". Delete that then try again

The soundtrack is fucking amazing. Glad they put it up. I won't be able to play the game but now I can sit in my room listening to the soundtrack and pretend I am playing while I cry.

todd360

This is the only game I have ever pre-ordered without having any real idea of how it's actually played.

I kinda want to preorder right now for the discount price. I have no idea if this game is gonna be good or not though. It looks cool is about all I can say about it.

careksims

Yeah... just bought it right now. It's pre-loading.... can't wait to try this out. I have no idea what's in store for me.

GeoramA

Can't believe that Conan video was from E3 last year. Been waiting so long for this.

Gamescom and Hohokum, tomorrow is the day of days.

todd360

I'm just gonna buy it now and hope I don't regret it. It's only 12 dollars with plus so it's not a huge waste if I don't end up liking it.

thanks guys!

i got home from work a little bit ago right after posting, and suddenly had an idea to try deleting it from the notifications area. that did the trick.

this could be a possibly confusing situation for other users, as i feel like a lot of people that have download issues on PS4 may not realize that you actually have to delete it from the notifications area. the ASSumption is that you're just deleting the notification itself, but not the file. i also ASSumed that if a download fails, it automatically deletes whatever it managed to get, but that's apparently not the case.

ALSO: my Vita just told me that i can now download the game i preordered (Hohokum) but when i click the notification it takes me to a Downloads List that simply shows Hohokum (and others) waiting to be auto-downloaded. weird.

The Ghostly soundtrack was more than enough to sell me on the game.

Also picking up the rainbow-colored vinyl.

My man! I was kinda floored that they weren't charging extra (beyond reasonable s/h) for the digital & vinyl combo. Couldn't pass it up.

There are some games with just some ridiculously good soundtracks coming out recently. Transistor being another recent favorite. Hotline Miami's has been on permanent rotation on my ipod and Hohokum's will join it shortly.

Pulling shit out of your ass and eating it. This dude is going to have parasites pretty soon...

All about dat l'elephant ass-to-brain-to-mouth. This game makes me smile.

TLOU and Watch Dogs were available at 9PM - 10PM Pacific, the night before release.
Will Hohokum be the same? My download says 18 hours until release, but I would like to play tonight.

Top Bottom