• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Alric

Question for people who have seen all the Hellraiser films. I enjoy 1 and 2. 3 was awful and my question is are any of the other films worth watching or should I just end it there.

Was gonna skip Would You Rather based on mixed reception but the trailer prompted me to give it a shot. I'm glad I did. Jeffrey Combs gives a fantastic performance, the cinematography is surprisingly slick, and a pretty solid supporting cast brings a bit of light to the extremely dark proceedings.

3.5/5

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Question for people who have seen all the Hellraiser films. I enjoy 1 and 2. 3 was awful and my question is are any of the other films worth watching or should I just end it there.

I kind of like hellraiser 4. I shouldn't but I do. I recommend it.

I also thought Inferno could be decent if it wasn't a hellraiser movie. It really missed the point of hellraiser, but as a generic horror movie, it would be pretty good.

All the rest are horrible.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This thread is dead, which sucks. Fatigue caused by october-marathon?

I was browsing that thread and saw some recommendations for The Pact. Watched and loved it. Very unsettling movie with good build-up. Recommended for people who like the Ti West movies. And there's a sequel coming next year, great.
Also watched the Evil Dead trilogy for the first time. I'd rate them 3 > 2 > 1. The more these movies became full on comedies, the more I enjoyed them.
In the stinker category we have Trick r Treat, none of the stories really grabbed me.

Watching Excision tonight.

I haven't watched much since 31 Days of Horror, but I did watch Candyman 2 & 3 which I wanted to include in the marathon but I couldn't fit them in.

Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh had some good ideas, but the main character was kind of uninteresting and the movie just felt dull and slow. Candyman looked pretty bad too. His hair was different than the other movies and the coat was really cheap looking, like they just pulled it off an extra in a western.

Candyman: Day of the Dead just plain bad, but somehow managed to be fairly fun. I enjoyed it more than #2. It's not nearly as haunting as the others and it's closer to Candyman becoming a straight-up slasher, but it didn't really drag on. The film's obsession with large chested blondes didn't hurt either. Dumb, cheesy fun.

I probably should have commented on these back in November when I watched them so I could have a little more insight, but they're hardly complex movies so I guess I don't really need to say anymore. Neither are worth going out of your way to see.

Edit: Oh, I picked up the Universal Classic Monsters blu-ray set on Black Friday and started digging into that. Haven't seen any of them before. Just saw Dracula so far so I'll hold my comments until I've gotten a few of the movies under my belt.

bidguy

Banned
so what are the sites you visit for news and trailers ?
i usually go to bloody disgusting or search on imdb

any good sites ?

happy new year

Melchiah

Has anyone seen Would you rather? Has a average rating on imdb but would to get some opinions from you guys.
I haven't seen it, but a lot of my horror friends said it was the best horror movie last year.

It's available on European Netflix, so there's another film to add to my list.

Bought these on Yule from the local video rental store's closing sale for about 35€.

irxHcd4l.jpg

veqOlxbl.jpg

I've watched the Evil Dead before. It's pretty good for a remake, especially when compared to today's American horror movies, but can't naturally hold a candle to the original. Watched The Conjuring last week, and it was ok, a bit better than Insidious, but the ending was kinda lame. Any opinions about the rest? I've heard and read positive comments about Antiviral, God Bless America and We Are What We are, but I haven't had the time watch them myself yet. I'm very sceptical about REC: Genesis, as it's taken a more comedic approach, and I know from Evil Dead 2 & Army of Darkness, that I hate when that happens. Luckily it cost only 3€.

bidguy

Banned
It's available on European Netflix, so there's another film to add to my list.

Bought these on Yule from the local video rental store's closing sale for about 35€.

irxHcd4l.jpg

veqOlxbl.jpg

I've watched the Evil Dead before. It's pretty good for a remake, especially when compared to today's American horror movies, but can't naturally hold a candle to the original. Watched The Conjuring last week, and it was ok, a bit better than Insidious, but the ending was kinda lame. Any opinions about the rest? I've heard and read positive comments about Antiviral, God Bless America and We Are What We are, but I haven't had the time watch them myself yet. I'm very sceptical about REC: Genesis, as it's taken a more comedic approach, and I know from Evil Dead 2 & Army of Darkness, that I hate when that happens. Luckily it cost only 3€.

alright the conjuring is amazing so youre in for a feast man. better watch it alone at night or darken the room.

rec genesis was disapponting because its not as good as 1 and 2. its very apparent.

havent watched the rest yet but i only heard good things about stoker,we are what we are and the bay

Anyone watch Paranormal Activity: Back to the Hood yet?

im going to see it friday night but judging by the trailers it looks really good.

Melchiah

alright the conjuring is amazing so youre in for a feast man. better watch it alone at night or darken the room.

rec genesis was disapponting because its not as good as 1 and 2. its very apparent.

havent watched the rest yet but i only heard good things about stoker,we are what we are and the bay.

Watched The Conjuring last week with my girlfriend, and liked it. Not great, but pretty good. The ending could have been better though.

I think I'll leave REC: Genesis for the next hangover day, when mindless fun is usually more entertaining. ;)

Stoker seems to be surprisingly unknown film around where I live, considering it's from the Old Boy director. The Bay's idea intrigues me, but I have seen too many mediocre/awful mockumentaries, that I'm a bit reserved about it.

Stoker seems to be surprisingly unknown film around where I live, considering it's from the Old Boy director. The Bay's idea intrigues me, but I have seen too many mediocre/awful mockumentaries, that I'm a bit reserved about it.

Stoker is excellent. It's not quite as complex or brutal as his Korean films, but it's still very recognizable as his work and still has a Korean feel to it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have a massive pile of vhses/cheapo dvds to sift through and right now I am staring at City in Panic, Watch Me When I Kill, and Bloody Movie. Not sure exactly which one, I'll be hitting up but it's nice to have stuff to watch on hand. Anyone's seen any of these 3? I know City in Panic caused a semi-uproar with it's HIV/AIDS thematic.

I have a massive pile of vhses/cheapo dvds to sift through and right now I am staring at City in Panic, Watch Me When I Kill, and Bloody Movie. Not sure exactly which one, I'll be hitting up but it's nice to have stuff to watch on hand. Anyone's seen any of these 3? I know City in Panic caused a semi-uproar with it's HIV/AIDS thematic.

Watch Me When I Kill is a pretty standard Argento influenced giallo. It's nothing mind blowing, but it has a couple of really crazy kills and a solid story. It's worth checking out.

Haven't seen the others.

Ridley327

Heads up: Hulu Plus seems to have gotten their hands on portions of the catalog of both Blue Underground and Grindhouse Releasing. In the former's case, they have The Prowler, The House by the Cemetery, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Inferno, and Maniac Cop 2, while Grindhouse is offering The Beyond, Pieces, and what is surely one of the most audacious additions to any streaming lineup, Cannibal Holocaust.

WorldStar

Banned
Heads up: Hulu Plus seems to have gotten their hands on portions of the catalog of both Blue Underground and Grindhouse Releasing. In the former's case, they have The Prowler, The House by the Cemetery, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Inferno, and Maniac Cop 2, while Grindhouse is offering The Beyond, Pieces, and what is surely one of the most audacious additions to any streaming lineup, Cannibal Holocaust.

lots of great flicks. def time for a Pieces rewatch. thanks for the heads up!

I can't believe I don't own Pieces on VHS yet

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Looking for some recommendations for recent films (last few years). I'll list some I've seen.

Like: The Pact, You're Next, The Conjuring, Sinister, Would You Rather, Mama, Kill List
Dislike: Dark Skies, Maniac, Grave Encounters 2, V/H/S movies (more like a mixed bag, didn't leave a strong impression either way)

Thinking about watching We Are What We Are or Stoker tonight.

T.O.P

Banned
This year is lookin pretty damn slow for horror fan so far :/

Rewatched Drag Me To Hell and Cabin in the Woods last night anyway, we need so many more movies like these two

This year is lookin pretty damn slow for horror fan so far :/

Rewatched Drag Me To Hell and Cabin in the Woods last night anyway, we need so many more movies like these two

Is there anything decent coming out this year at all? I haven't been following the news lately because I've been stockpiling old stuff for my October marathon, but I did think the trailers for Stage Fright (not a remake) and Zombeavers looked fun.

Especially Zombeavers.

impact

Banned
Stoker is excellent. It's not quite as complex or brutal as his Korean films, but it's still very recognizable as his work and still has a Korean feel to it.

I found Stoker to be REALLY boring :/ I almost fell asleep towards the end.

What are your guys top horrors of 2013? Looking for something for drinking night tonight. I've seen The Conjuring, The Evil Dead remake, VHS2, Stoker, and maybe a couple others but The Conjuring is the only one I'd recommend to a friend.

I found Stoker to be REALLY boring :/ I almost fell asleep towards the end.

What are your guys top horrors of 2013? Looking for something for drinking night tonight. I've seen The Conjuring, The Evil Dead remake, VHS2, Stoker, and maybe a couple others but The Conjuring is the only one I'd recommend to a friend.

That's too bad. It is a (deliberately) slow like a lot of Asian movies. I guess that's not your cup of tea?

Off the top of my head, for 2013 my pick would be Curse of Chucky. I'd have to look over what was released during the year though.

ABCs of Death would be a pretty good choice for a drinking night movie.

Is there anything decent coming out this year at all? I haven't been following the news lately because I've been stockpiling old stuff for my October marathon, but I did think the trailers for Stage Fright (not a remake) and Zombeavers looked fun.

Especially Zombeavers.

Blum House has Oculus comes out on April 11th.
Hammer's newest Gothic horror The Quiet Ones is coming out on April 25th.
On the indie front Cheap Thrills hit VOD today.
Nurse 3D is out on VOD now, and hits DVD/Blu-Ray April 8th.
The found footage/Skype based The Den is out on VOD now.
Jim Mickle's, director of Stake Land and Mulberry Street, Cold in July comes out on May 23rd. It's more of a drama, but its based on a Joe Lansdale book.

That's just the next couple of months. Hopefully something there that will interest you.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Watch Me When I Kill is a pretty standard Argento influenced giallo. It's nothing mind blowing, but it has a couple of really crazy kills and a solid story. It's worth checking out.

Haven't seen the others.

Seen all 3 now, and yeah I enjoyed Watch Me When I Kill as a low-rent Argento flick. It was Deep Red without the actual flair. But it was good. Liked it. City In Panic was a truly sleazy piece of Canuxploitation about a killer of gay men. It was extremely dumb and exploitative but that's why I watched it. Bloody Movie was an oldschool, late-eighties slasher. Cheesy ass fun about idiots chilling in an abandoned mansion, being hunted by a old actor killing them according to his own, ancient films. Lots of cheesy gore, nudity and a good sense of fun.

Blum House has Oculus comes out on April 11th.
Hammer's newest Gothic horror The Quiet Ones is coming out on April 25th.
On the indie front Cheap Thrills hit VOD today.
Nurse 3D is out on VOD now, and hits DVD/Blu-Ray April 8th.
The found footage/Skype based The Den is out on VOD now.
Jim Mickle's, director of Stake Land and Mulberry Street, Cold in July comes out on May 23rd. It's more of a drama, but its based on a Joe Lansdale book.

That's just the next couple of months. Hopefully something there that will interest you.

Nurse 3D is on my list. It's one I might save for the marathon though. I have to start going though what I'm saving to see if I'm going to go over 31 so I can decide what to watch now.

I'm not really into found footage, so I'll probably pass on the Den, but I'll give the trailer a look first.

Haven't heard of the rest (except Oculus), so I'll look'em up. Thanks for taking the time to list those, I will look into them.

Edit: Cheap Thrills looks great. That shall be watched.

Seen all 3 now, and yeah I enjoyed Watch Me When I Kill as a low-rent Argento flick. It was Deep Red without the actual flair. But it was good. Liked it. City In Panic was a truly sleazy piece of Canuxploitation about a killer of gay men. It was extremely dumb and exploitative but that's why I watched it. Bloody Movie was an oldschool, late-eighties slasher. Cheesy ass fun about idiots chilling in an abandoned mansion, being hunted by a old actor killing them according to his own, ancient films. Lots of cheesy gore, nudity and a good sense of fun.

Heh, I didn't even know "Canuxploitation" was a thing.

Bloody Movie sounds fun and I'm always on the lookout for 80s slashers I missed. imdb lists it as "Terror Night". Same movie, right?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Heh, I didn't even know "Canuxploitation" was a thing.

Bloody Movie sounds fun and I'm always on the lookout for 80s slashers I missed. imdb lists it as "Terror Night". Same movie, right?

Yah! Same movie indeed! The F13th films are etched in my soul, so a film featuring a victim (in this case A New Blood's Michael Butler) would leave an imprint on me.

It's one of these extra obscure flicks, that never get mentioned by anyone...But that are truly a-ok. I have seen every 80s slasher worth it's salt, so now that I am stuck on these...remnants, I usually experience unwatchable stuff ( shit did anyone see Spine? Cause I did! Ugh!). Bloody Movie is the kind of movie, I can only recommend to people who smile while remembering Graduation Day.

The killer here, dresses up according to old movies, and the gory kills always feature a clip from possibly real ancient movies as a precursor. It's cheesy, but it works and I dug the hell outta that. It's basically a gory version of Scooby Doo. If that sounds epic...dig in!

Yah! Same movie indeed! The F13th films are etched in my soul, so a film featuring a victim (in this case A New Blood's Michael Butler) would leave an imprint on me.

It's one of these extra obscure flicks, that never get mentioned by anyone...But that are truly a-ok. I have seen every 80s slasher worth it's salt, so now that I am stuck on these...remnants, I usually experience unwatchable stuff ( shit did anyone see Spine? Cause I did! Ugh!). Bloody Movie is the kind of movie, I can only recommend to people who smile while remembering Graduation Day.

The killer here, dresses up according to old movies, and the gory kills always feature a clip from possibly real ancient movies as a precursor. It's cheesy, but it works and I dug the hell outta that. It's basically a gory version of Scooby Doo. If that sounds epic...dig in!

Sounds great to me, there's another one for the list, thanks! I don't think I've seen Graduation Day either since I only started getting into Troma's releases a couple of years ago and I haven't dug too deeply into the films they only distribute. To the list it goes.

WorldStar

Banned
any recommendations for a brainless gorefest? preferably modern (as I've seen most older ones worth watching).

EDIT: I've been meaning to re-watch House of 1000 Corpses. Haven't seen it since it was first released, still undecided whether I'm a fan of Rob Zombie's work. Although I def hated his remake of Halloween.

eagledare

Horror-GAF, I've just published a suspense/horror novel on Amazon ("Saint Nellie") and it's free to download until Saturday. The story is about a young girl being asked to spend time with the town "witch" while dealing with the racism still lingering in some Southern (US) towns. Fans of occult fiction will probably get a kick out of it. The first chapter should give you a good idea of what to expect.

I'm hoping mods are cool with this post since the ebook is free, but if not I'll happily edit. You can get it here if interested.

Vazduh

Is High Tension still worth it if you know the twist?

Yes! It's a really good horror movie. Just don't watch the dubbed version, I think it even added a subplot that's not in the original cut. There's little dialogue so watching with subtitles shouldn't be a problem.

Also, try to have in mind that
most of the events in the movie were narrated by an unreliable narrator.
I think it's the only way
the twist
really works, otherwise it won't make much sense.

SaintZ

Also, try to have in mind that
most of the events in the movie were narrated by an unreliable narrator.
I think it's the only way
the twist
really works, otherwise it won't make much sense.
I'm pretty sure Alex Aja confirmed this was the case in an interview when asked about why some parts of the movie didn't make sense. Basically
Marie was lying.

Also, I'm pumped about Oculus. It has gotten good reviews and it stands at 100% on RT (although it only has 7 reviews).

Any fans of the Tetsuo series around? Weird question, but IMDb lists both Tetsuo: The Iron Man, and Tetsuo: Body Hammer as horror/sci-fi, but Tetsuo: The Bullet Man only gets action/sci-fi. No horror. Can it be considered horror like the other two or what?

I'm trying to decide if I want to save the series for the horror marathon or not.

Is High Tension still worth it if you know the twist?

Sure. You might actually enjoy it more since you get to look for clues and you probably won't feel burned like some viewers do by the ending.

I watched the Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1 blu-ray last night. It was pretty disappointing.

Splitting the movie up into two parts was a HUGE mistake. Volume 1 barely has any story to tell, and the sequences and gags just seem thrown around randomly to pad it out. The whole thing just drags on and on until it ends with a poor cliffhanger. Usually multi-part movies at least finish a section of the story and you feel like something has been resolved as it builds up into the sequel, but Return Vol 1 just feels like someone pressed stop on a movie at a random spot and expects you to wait (hopefully not more than) a year to finish it.

From the pre-release footage from before the movie was split into 2, and the new trailer for Volume 2 on the blu, it looks like most of the fun insanity got pushed into the next part. And considering how Troma works, who knows when this thing will actually be released.

It also features a bunch of references to current events like Obamacare, theater shootings and Justin Beiber that just aren't funny.

There are a few pros though, the two lead actresses are gorgeous and quite good at doing the whole Troma shtick. I hope we see more of them both in the future. The glee club Cretins is a great idea that I hope gets played up more in Vol 2 and they're preformed pretty good (the Japanese guy's walk is hilarious). There's also the good-bad practical effects that you'd expect from Troma, but unfortunately their jump to digital video seems to have encouraged an over use of cheap video effects and computer tricks that just look awful, and not awful in a fun way like throwing a wig on a melon for a head smash is. Just awful awful.

I'm still down for Volume 2, but mostly because I feel like I've only gotten half a movie here and all the good stuff got pushed into the 2nd half. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like Toxic Avenger Part III - which was actually supposed to be one movie with Part II, but they had too much footage and split it and Part III actually turned out to be the worst of the two.

Come on Lloyd, in this post Jason Eisener and Astron-6 world, we expect a little more from the originator. Not just some lazy effort that feels more like a copycat than something from the biggest name in the bad movie business.

I guess I'll just go back to waiting for a Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. sequel that'll never happen.

Top Bottom