• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Hex

Banned
Just a heads up if you do not already have the existing one or are going to pre-order this one-
Walmart has the Exorcist 40th Anniversary Blu/DVD/Digital for 19.96 preorder, Amazon's price is like 44 something.

Synapse Films is releasing Demons and Demons 2 as expensive limited edition tins. Since I love both films, I went ahead and splurged for both of them. Today, Synapse posted a couple of screen captures of the transfer for Demons 2:

c76e.jpg

Needless to say, I can't wait to get these discs.I hope I get them in time for Halloween.

J-Rock

Banned
Synapse Films is releasing Demons and Demons 2 as expensive limited edition tins. Since I love both films, I went ahead and splurged for both of them. Today, Synapse posted a couple of screen captures of the transfer for Demons 2:

Needless to say, I can't wait to get these discs.I hope I get them in time for Halloween.

Oh damn. The last time I watched these films I was around 8 or 9. Definitely time for a re-watch.

Hex

Banned
This popped up on my radar and it may be cool to some of you.

ReAnimator soundtrack on Vinyl

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack composed and conducted by Richard Band.

Mastered for vinyl from original master tapes.

Pressed on 180 gram green vinyl and randomly inserted Glow In The Dark vinyl variants.

Original artwork (Jacket, Inner Sleeve, Poster, and Center Labels) by Ghoulish Gary Pullin.

Liner notes by director Stuart Gordon and composer Richard Band.

18″ x 24″ poster included.

Ships July 30, 2013.

Which oddly enough goes perfectly with :

Fright Rags limited edition ReAnimator shirt

Blackheim

Aww man that sucks, now I'm out of $90.19 :(

:D

Their Fright Night goes for 200 easy now damn it

Do you mean Synapse? They didn't release Fright Night, that was by Twilight Time. That's so expensive now because all of their releases are limited editions and I believe you can only get them from TT's website directly. Fright Night was limited to 3,000 copies so it got scooped up by scalpers pretty fast.

Hopefully when TT's rights expire someone will grab it and give it the release it deserves.

You can only pre-order through Twilight Time's website. If a title survives the pre-order period, it'll become available through Amazon. Twilight Time's distributor maintains a seller account there.

I managed to grab Fright Night when Twilight Time put it up for pre-order. It took a while to sell out, so I don't think re-sellers snatched up a bunch of copies. It doesn't seem to pop up a lot on E-Bay, so it manages to command a ridiculously high price when it does. Now, Christine and Night of the Living Dead, those titles were completely driven by the re-seller market. As a result there's a ton of both available for auction; some auctions started literally hours after TT sold out. To combat this phenomenon, TT has, thankfully, implemented a 3 copy per customer limit. They just started this with Body Double, and it seems to be working; there's somewhere around 1700 copies left.

Sony currently doesn't allow licensees to create new supplemental material for their releases--they can only use existing material from the Sony vaults. Scream Factory, for instance, inquired about releasing a couple of titles, but passed when they realized Sony would be dictate what they could do with the title. So, unless Sony changes their policies, I doubt anything Twilight Time releases will find another home once their license expires. Of course, we could always hope Sony starts giving a shit about releasing their own catalog, but the odds of that happening are probably slimmer than a policy change.

Sony currently doesn't allow licensees to create new supplemental material for their releases--they can only use existing material from the Sony vaults. Scream Factory, for instance, inquired about releasing a couple of titles, but passed when they realized Sony would be dictate what they could do with the title. So, unless Sony changes their policies, I doubt anything Twilight Time releases will find another home once their license expires. Of course, we could always hope Sony starts giving a shit about releasing their own catalog, but the odds of that happening are probably slimmer than a policy change.

Man, that's disappointing. I was really holding out hope for a decent Fright Night release, but I guess if it didn't happen with the release of the remake, it isn't going to. I don't know when their license expires, but I'm assuming Twilight Time will still probably have the rights to it when the remake sequel comes out too. Oh well, thanks for the additional info.

Hex

Banned
There is a great online commentary track that was done for Fright Night at a reunion that can be found online, there were two of them done.
Fantastic to sync up while watching.

CREMSteve

Watched Hatchet 3 tonight, good times. No nudity was disappointing, and the Mears/Hodder showdown was underwhelming, but I dug the ending.

strafer

The Hills Have Eyes 2 (1984)

Fairly enjoyable actually, I did like the first one very much.

The remake of the first one is also one of the better horror remakes. The second one not so much.

Melchiah

I watched the French Livid a while ago with my girlfriend, and thought it was a breath of fresh air. Loved the atmosphere and the visual style, which evoked some old Silent Hill memories. My girlfriend was a bit disappointed by the lack of scares though.

J-Rock

Banned
I finally watched The Conjuring and was pretty disappointed. They used far too many horror cliches and caused scenes to feel too predicable for me. I could see someone new to horror enjoying it though. There were some interesting ideas but overall it felt like horror-by-numbers storytelling. Which is a shame since most of the visual production and acting was good.

Aske

I finally watched The Conjuring and was pretty disappointed. They used far too many horror cliches and caused scenes to feel too predicable for me. I could see someone new to horror enjoying it though. There were some interesting ideas but overall it felt like horror-by-numbers storytelling. Which is a shame since most of the visual production and acting was good.

Agreed. Very disappointing for a James Wan film. I enjoyed it quite a bit as a movie: nice cinematography, solid performances, and some cool 80s-inspired shots that worked very well; but as horror it was anemic.

WorldStar

Banned
ran out of ideas of what to watch last night, ended up throwing on The Collection since it was on Netflix Instant. Expectations were incredibly low, I remembered the trailers and remembered thinking the movie would be awful.

51Hy-qjvX5L.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised. I quite enjoyed this movie for some reason.

If you have Netflix, streaming it is worth your time IMHO.

Mileena

Banned

watched it recently and I feel it's just ok, but I know a few people that were hyping it up as a good movie so I was a bit let down. that doll thing was really creepy looking, I'll give them that

ran out of ideas of what to watch last night, ended up throwing on The Collection since it was on Netflix Instant. Expectations were incredibly low, I remembered the trailers and remembered thinking the movie would be awful.

51Hy-qjvX5L.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised. I quite enjoyed this movie for some reason.

If you have Netflix, streaming it is worth your time IMHO.

Watched this a few days ago and thought it was pretty cool. Really didn't have much downtime in it, and it did a good job of keeping you on edge for every little moment. Recommended watch.

CREMSteve

The Collection sucked, The Collector was vastly superior.

I watched a movie last night that I've been wanting to see for a while now, called "Would You Rather".

Excellent flick, highly recommended.

Shout Factory just announced Night of the Demons and Witchboard blu-rays for early 2014!

I'm definitely getting Night of the Demons.

I haven't seen Witchboard though, is that worth picking up?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Shout Factory just announced Night of the Demons and Witchboard blu-rays for early 2014!

I'm definitely getting Night of the Demons.

I haven't seen Witchboard though, is that worth picking up?

I have had people in other horror groups recommend it strongly. Haven't seen it myself though.

I have had people in other horror groups recommend it strongly. Haven't seen it myself though.

Thanks. It's on my radar now. Tawny Kitaen is in it, so it already has that going for it.

Edit: Everyone on blu-ray.com's board seems really excited for it too. Must be a good one.

[Sorry to hijack the thread for a second...]

Hey guys, just a heads up because Divius was kind enough to remind me - I'll be putting together another 31 Days of Horror marathon thread this year. I don't want to post it too early, but it'll probably go up around the 15th.

So if you're interested in taking part this year, better start saving those movies for October.

For those of you who are new to us and have not taken part in previous years, you can check out last year's thread here.

Ridley327

And speaking of that yearly tradition, my plea for help:

OK, I need help.

THERE, I SAID IT

Anyway, I need help with making final additions to my list of films that will be on the schedule for this year's very important October horror film marathon. I'm going for an even 50 for the whole month, but I need more stuff to help get there, as I'm stuck at 38 presently. I'm also willing to change stuff out if you guys can put up strong enough arguments for their inclusion, as there are a few films where I'm not 100% sold on currently. I would appreciate any suggestion being sent as a PM, but I will check this thread just in case anything is potentially at risk of slipping through the cracks. Any inquiries about what I've got so far will be strictly PM, as I'll still need a final roster before I'm comfortable with posting that list publicly for all to marvel at.

With there being five weeks in October, I went ahead with themes yet again for each week. One of those weeks will not need any help from those guys, so here are the four categories I would immensely appreciate any kind of suggestion for:

-A week dedicated to films released in the past couple of years: I'm trying to stick to stuff released in this particular decade, which should narrow things down.

-A week dedicated to films about teenagers and their exceptionally cruel coming-of-ages: this should be as varied as possible, as I have films that feature obvious bodily transformation stuff, in addition to more cerebral fare, so the less slasher and monster inclined, the better.

-A week dedicated to the utmost of controversial films: now, it'd be easy to give me the nastiest and most disgusting films in terms of what's displayed on screen, but I'm also keen for films that are antagonistic for other reasons, be they their subject matter or their execution, as a film doesn't have to slaughter live animals to piss someone off just as fiercely. Variety is also greatly appreciated here.

-A week dedicated to old black-and-white classics that I've been a dumbass about not watching until now: I want to stick with early 60s at the absolute latest that I want to dive in. This week doesn't need as much help as the other three, but I will take any and all suggestions that you've got. I'm sure I've already forgotten even more secret shames, so jogging my memory is highly recommended.

Thanks in advance!

As a quick update to those requests, the last item about B&W classics no longer needs to be filled, and I'm up to 43 films total. Everything else still applies, and to help you guys out a little bit more, I would say the second week is the most malleable right now in terms of films that I already have jotted down, but I will consider any and all selections.

CREMSteve

Crawlspace - I just watched this. Beware of spoilers, I went in blind and really enjoyed it.

JDHu823.jpg

Far better than it should have been, effects are great and the characters/plot are superior to the crap these types of movies typically subject viewers to.

Highly recommended!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Last couple Halloweens I was always Jason, but this year I am thinking of rocking a Krueger get-up. Unfortunately, I won't be able to bring out my children below:

ade72d92-5e26-4055-89a3-58614c86afb6_zps6fc86009.jpg

Still it's tempting

Leatherface

As a huge horror fan, I'd like to share what I believe are worthy horror movies. I know tastes vary because, after all, we are a fickle bunch, but I think the list below is fairly comprehensive (or at least as comprehensive as my memory can allow right now). I purposefully left out most older classics because at this point I'm sure they've been covered and most we know exactly what they are. Hopefully there are a few in here you haven't seen yet. If so I think you're in for a treat because they are all good flicks (IMO of course).

In no particular order:

I Saw the Devil
House of the Devil
Martyrs
Inside
Haute Tension
.REC
28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Dog Soldiers
Ginger Snaps
Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning
Frontiere(s)
Let Me In (liked the remake better. better pacing IMO)
Open Water
The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
Drag Me to Hell
Frozen
Grindhouse (Planet Terror / Death Proof)
From Dusk Till Dawn
The Descent
The Descent 2
Ravenous
Wolf Creek
30 Days of Night
Brotherhood of the Wolf (Pact des Loups)
Cloverfield
Eden Lake
Insidious
The Devils Rejects
Orphan
Midnight Meat Train
The Devil's Backbone
The Horde
Trick r' Treat
From Hell
Hostel
Black Death
Splinter
The Collector
The Crazies (remake)
War of the Worlds
Event Horizon
Pandorum
Don't be Afraid of the Dark
Sleepy Hollow
The Serpent and the Rainbow
Hard Candy
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
The Strangers
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake / the original is my favorite horror movie ever though)

Enjoy!

:)

CREMSteve

Watched Curse of Chucky last night, that shit was dreadfully bad. CG Chucky and Doll Chucky look nothing alike. The "doll" would look completely different depending on the shot.

Then you've got some of the most idiotic characters ever put to film.

And don't even get me started on a 200-lb man being bowled over and flying through the air like it's a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Fucking horrible.

Ending makes zero sense, too.

WorldStar

Banned
why the fuck did I wait so long to watch The Loved Ones?

ThelovedonesUSposter.jpg

currently has a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, glad to see I wasn't alone in thinking it was great. I highly recommend this one.

Leatherface

why the fuck did I wait so long to watch The Loved Ones?

ThelovedonesUSposter.jpg

currently has a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, glad to see I wasn't alone in thinking it was great. I highly recommend this one.

Sweet! New horror for me to watch. I completely overlooked this one! woot!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sadako 3D was exceptionally embarrassing :((((((

Why would they do it like this.

The 1st Ring was a tremendous movie, Ring 0 was alright, as was Ring 2.

And now they ruined it all with this stupid sequel.

Gah.

How's Tale of Two Sisters guys? Good?

Melchiah

What did you think? :)

Sorry, I forgot to post my thoughts here. Neither of us really liked it. The beginning was ok, but eventually it just went to another direction, and abandoned some elements of the story (
infection and its origins
). I didn't really like the direction it went,
where it abandoned atmosphere for action, and found it illogical at places; they had guns, the others did not, yet they were losing. There were some scenes, where they could have easily shot the attackers, but chose not to for some odd reason. And I found the leader of the attackers pretty comical.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Slither: loved this movie. The comedy/horror mix is hard to get right and very much hit or miss, but this one was a definite hit. Michael Rooker was great in this.

"He looks like something that fell of my dick during the war"

Storm Warning: meh. Female lead was hot, but couldn't act. For better Australian horror, watch Wolf Creek.

Top Bottom