• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

JJD

I'm pretty sure Alex Aja confirmed this was the case in an interview when asked about why some parts of the movie didn't make sense. Basically
Marie was lying.

Also, I'm pumped about Oculus. It has gotten good reviews and it stands at 100% on RT (although it only has 7 reviews).

Wow this looks interesting!

But the trailer gives away too much! Seems like a fun movie, thanks for the heads up!

T.O.P

Banned
I'm out of movies, so here's what i'm going to watch tonight out of desperation

the-returned.jpg
Schermata-2014-01-29-alle-17.13.27-726x1024.png

pls let em be decent :/

Oh, I LOVE Tetsuo. The first one is absolutely one of my favorite horror movies of all time, which is as much to say it is a favorite film in general. For anyone who hasn't caught a gander at it, it is this wonderful, wild, manic and strangely beautiful melding of industry and fleshy sinew, made on an endearingly shoestring budget - you can almost see the tinfoil and bubblegum used to put the thing together, but it is no less skillful nor compelling for it. If you've seen Darren Aronofsky's PI, you have at least a baseline for comparison, since that film's look and editing rhythm were clearly inspired by the first Tetsuo film.

Anyway...all three are equally valid as body horrors, and although I saw them in a staggered fashion over many months, I think they'd make for interesting viewing together. They're not REALLY sequels, but rather different takes on the same sort of premise, by the same voice. Bullet Man is no less horror than the other two, in any case.

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear. Thhanks for the info.

Your praise is going to make it harder to save to October though.

Cheap Thrills was pretty decent. Pretty funny at times. I wish I didn't see Would you Rather a week beforehand though.

In Fear was great I thought. I was reading about it and apparently a lot of the movie was improv. Would have never knew that!

Has anyone seen Contracted?

Watched Insidious Chapter 2 with a couple of my friends the other day. Anyone else feel it was an unnecessary sequel? Overall, I thought it was decent.

I enjoyed The Conjuring. It was pretty decent to me, but I know some people were saying that they felt like the trailers and commercials gave away all the scary moments in the film. Which is partially why I always try to avoid watching trailers.

Out of the 3 Conjuring, Insidious, and Sinister. I know for sure I enjoyed Sinister the most. I can't really remember why I relate those 3 together, but yeah Sinister I enjoyed the most despite the last 20 mins being a huge letdown, but I'm so numb to that in horror movies

T.O.P

Banned
I enjoyed The Conjuring. It was pretty decent to me, but I know some people were saying that they felt like the trailers and commercials gave away all the scary moments in the film. Which is partially why I always try to avoid watching trailers.

Out of the 3 Conjuring, Insidious, and Sinister. I know for sure I enjoyed Sinister the most. I can't really remember why I relate those 3 together, but yeah Sinister I enjoyed the most despite the last 20 mins being a huge letdown, but I'm so numb to that in horror movies

Sinister was pretty amazing before the film went full retard, agreed

Anyway, currently watching

open_grave_1.png

Not bad so far

So how is that Open Grave movie overall? First time hearing of it. I actually need to start going ahead and making my list for the 31 horror movies. I missed out on it last year and the year before that I had a hard time coming up with movies I was interested in seeing.

T.O.P

Banned
Anyone watch In Fear yet?

87% on rotten.

Just watched this

I can easily say that the first half is some of the creepiest and claustrophobic shit i've ever seen (little phobia of mine)

jesus fuckin christ

seriously, last movie that creeped me out so much was Noroi

holy shit

:(

@about Open Grave, missed opportuity but defenetely worth a watch, was entertaining enough for me

So how is that Open Grave movie overall? First time hearing of it. I actually need to start going ahead and making my list for the 31 horror movies. I missed out on it last year and the year before that I had a hard time coming up with movies I was interested in seeing.

I started a couple of days ago and quickly added way too many movies because I wanted some theme weeks. Gonna have to trim some serious fat :(

Looks like Giallo week and Body Horror week are gonna get the axe.

Awesome. I just read that Death Spa is getting a blu-ray release in May!

It's stupid expensive right now on Amazon ($30 US/$36 CDN) so hopefully it drops in price, but it's one I've been waiting to see so I'll be picking up a copy.

Now someone needs to give Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide) the blu-ray treatment too. Then I'll have the perfect weekend double feature.

Awesome. I just read that Death Spa is getting a blu-ray release in May!

It's stupid expensive right now on Amazon ($30 US/$36 CDN) so hopefully it drops in price, but it's one I've been waiting to see so I'll be picking up a copy.

Now someone needs to give Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide) the blu-ray treatment too. Then I'll have the perfect weekend double feature.

Hey, I never really got into these sort of horror movies. What would you say are the essentials?

Hey, I never really got into these sort of horror movies. What would you say are the essentials?

Which sort? Do you mean cheesy 80s horror movies or just movies that take place in a gym? If the latter, I think that's about it unless you want to count the original Toxic Avenger.

Which sort? Do you mean cheesy 80s horror movies or just movies that take place in a gym? If the latter, I think that's about it unless you want to count the original Toxic Avenger.

Cheesy 80s movie. I think the only one I really got into was the Friday 13th movie with the couple that were driving and got stuck in the mud. Can't remember which number it was but that was a funny one

Vorheez

Anyone else like pretty much just slasher flicks? I don't really do any other type of horror, always had a huge passion for slashers though, hence my username and avatar haha.

Jason is my idol, and I never get tired of Chucky, that little fucker is always fun to watch. Never cared for Freddy, I just don't like the while nightmare aspect. Its a brilliant and original idea, don't get me wrong, I just prefer my slashers gritty and to the point. Like, "here I am. I'm going to kill you." Boom. Que terrified actress.

I like Jason most because you can sympathize with him, you root for him. He personally strikes no fear in me at all. I find him motivating and comforting. I watch Friday the 13th films to relax and relieve stress, they'll always be my go to.

Chucky is very, very consistent. I love that Dourif IS Chucky, they're synonymous, its made the character that much more "alive" to me. I watch the childs play films more just to watch and analyze Chucky. I legitimately find him fun to watch and hilarious to listen to. I watch these films to have fun and laugh.

Michael... Hmm, very inconsistent to me, with very high highs and low lows. The amount of disparity between his masks throughout the series and differing sizes of actors playing him is a joke. Ruins it for me. I respect the first film for creating the genre I love so much, but Rob Zombies remake is the best Halloween film. I said it. It is the most gritty/grimey slasher film ever made. The way this movie is shot and portrayed, it just oozes hatred/anger/contempt and makes me uncomfortable. There is no fun to be had here, its a very dark film. And I love it.

Not entirely sure why I typed all this out, but whatever, I'd love to discuss slashers with a fellow fan! That's the exciting thing about GAF, there is a community for everything :)

Cheesy 80s movie. I think the only one I really got into was the Friday 13th movie with the couple that were driving and got stuck in the mud. Can't remember which number it was but that was a funny one

Oh man, that's a pretty big list depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. That Friday the 13th you're talking about would be Jason Lives (Part VI). That's also my fave in the series by a long shot, so hopefully we share similar taste and you find something you like.

I'm going to do this mostly from memory, so it's going to be mainly movies I'm very familiar with or that I've watched fairly recently. Hopefully others will point out any gems I may have forgotten or haven't seen (I'm sure there's plenty).

Let's start with the essentials.
These are all pretty iconic (and the cheese factor is debatable) so you may have seen them or at least heard of them, but just in case you haven't...

rec_EvilDead_01_zpsa14741cd.jpg~original

The Evil Dead series (1981-1992) - Probably the most loved horror/comedy series. The first movie is more horror than comedy, the 2nd is more comedy than horror and the 3rd is more comedy action than horror, but they're all must see.

31_Re-Animator.jpg~original

Re-Animator series (1985-2003) - About a med student obsessed with resurrecting the dead based on a series of stories by HP Lovecraft. The original is probably my personal fave 80s horror comedy, its got everything.

08_DeadAlive.jpg~original

Dead Alive (aka Braindead) (1992) - Yeah, it's not an 80s movie but it's close enough and if you enjoy the Evil Dead series you should check it out. Directed by Peter Jackson ages before he got stuck in Middle Earth.

27_AmericanWerewolfInLondon.jpg~original

An American Werewolf in London (1981) - A hilarious werewolf dark comedy. Really, really good.

19_FrightNight1985.jpg~original

Fright Night series (1985-1988) - The original is a horror comedy classic and a shining example of what makes 80s films so fun. The 2nd never reaches the heights of the original, but if you're looking for 80s cheese, it's full of it.

rec_MonsterSquad_01_zps0f097841.jpg~original

The Monster Squad (1987) - Basically The Goonies meets Universal Monsters. A hilarious tribute to everything classic monster with kids that actually act like kids (ie, they're a bunch of assholes). Do not miss this one.

rec_RotLD_01_zps7b9800fe.jpg~original

The Return of the Living Dead series (1985 - 2005) - The original is probably the most loved 80s horror comedy after Evil Dead 2. Zombies, unnecessary nudity, punk music, it's an 80s explosion of awesome. The sequels are mostly skip-able (mainly the two from 2005) but I get a kick out of the Part II from '88. Its got your 80s cheese.

And then the lesser known...

13_SlumberPartyMassacreII.jpg~original

Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) - You'll probably want to watch the original first since some characters carry over to the sequel, but #2 is the one you really want to see. It's an 80s goldmine. Here's my review from my first viewing a couple of years ago. Everyone needs to see this one.

01_DeadHeat.jpg~original

Dead Heat (1988) - A re-animated cop trying to solve his own murder. You'll never look at Chinese restaurants the same again.

31_CemeteryMan.jpg~original

Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) (1994) - Yeah, another from the 90s. I'm cheating but I have to recommend it. Zombie comedy with tons of little artistic touches hidden in it. One of my fave movies of all time.

07_TexasChainsaw2.jpg~original

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - It isn't necessary to watch the serious original to get into this goofy followup. Really silly, really fun.

17_AprilFoolsDay_zps9b691447.jpg~original

April Fool's Day (1986) - Before Scream became the self-aware parody of horror movies, there was April Fool's Day.

18_House_zps70a431e0.jpg~original

House - A silly haunted house movie only made funnier by the current trend of been-there-done-that serious haunted house movies. There's a 1987 sequel, but it's more of a fantasy movie than a horror movie.

03_BasketCase.jpg~original

Basket Case (1982) - An ultra low budget movie about a naive boy moving to New York with a large basket. I know what you're thinking. What's in the basket? That's what everyone wants to know...

rec_Pieces_01_zps62567fdb.jpg~original

Pieces (1982) - A giallo style slasher that's just so absurdly made, it's absolutely hilarious. I dare you to find a horror movie with a greater spontaneous
kung fu
scene. I dare you!

26_TerrorVision.jpg~original

TerrorVision (1986) - I'm not really too crazy about this one, but it's easily one of the silliest movies I've ever seen. You want 80s hair? This one's got it.

11_TheBurning.jpg~original

The Burning (1981) - This isn't really a horror comedy like the others, but it's a pretty clever blend of a goofy 80s camp movie and a 80s slasher. Worth checking out since you like Friday Part VI.

06_KillerKlowns.jpg~original

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) - I think the title pretty much explains this one.

rec_Frankenhooker_01_zps1d2523f0.jpg~original

Frankenhooker (1990) - Yeah, 90s again. Another masterpiece from the director of Basket Case and the funniest version of Frankenstein you'll ever see.

rec_ElviraMotD_01_zps5d1226ab.jpg~original

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988) - I don't think this is really that popular, but I get a kick out of it. If you like Elvira's humor then check it out.

rec_MaximumOverdrive_01_zps948c5679.jpg~original

Maximum Overdrive (1986) - This isn't a comedy at all, but it's the first (and last) movie directed by Stephen King, who was coked out of his mind the entire time. It's insane. If you ever wanted to see a bridge kill people while AC/DC plays in the background or a
soda machine
kill a guy, this is the movie for you. And King himself has perhaps the greatest cameo ever in it. Take that Stan Lee!

Awesome! Thanks for the list both of you! I actually didn't care at all if yall listed movies outside of the 80s.Going to watch maybe one of these once I get back from grocery shopping

Awesome! Thanks for the list both of you! I actually didn't care at all if yall listed movies outside of the 80s.Going to watch maybe one of these once I get back from grocery shopping

Then add Feast (2005) to the list too. That's another one of my go-to horror comedy recommendations. I hope you like whatever you end up going with. Be sure to let us know.

Yeah definitely! I have been wanting to talk more about horror movies so you'll find me in this thread more often.

I ended up watching Re-animator since i saw it on both lists and on netflix lol. I actually really enjoyed it. Some pretty funny scenes but dang what a messed up ending that was although I expected something along the lines of that would happen.

I also watched You're Next which I guess might fall into the category? That was pretty entertaining. I love how the movie actually explained why the female lead was so knowledgeable about that kind of stuff. Something that small yet important is always missing in horror movies at times

Man, this thread moves slow.

Anyone else like pretty much just slasher flicks? I don't really do any other type of horror, always had a huge passion for slashers though, hence my username and avatar haha.

{...snip...}

Not entirely sure why I typed all this out, but whatever, I'd love to discuss slashers with a fellow fan! That's the exciting thing about GAF, there is a community for everything :)

Sorry, I meant t reply to this sooner, but I got distracted by that big recommendation post and forgot. Had to wait until I was on my desktop again to reply.

I don't only like slashers, but they're probably my favorite sub-genre right now since I grew up in the 80s. I always enjoyed horror flicks as a kid, but I wasn't as big into them as I am now. I think around 2000 I really got into zombie flicks and that's probably what got me going into the collecting horror movies and stuff. Sadly, recent zombie movies have been so similar that I've begun to get bored. I'm a fan of rising from the grave zombies, not this virus infected people stuff. When was the last time we had a movie with a good Return of the Living Dead style rising from the grave scene?

Anyway, as for slashers, I grew up with the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th movies, but I just saw them randomly and out of order here and there. Back then I probably would have said Freddy was my fave because of all the crazy effects and kills, but these days I think zombie Jason is my fave. There's just something really effective about a truly unstoppable monster that just wants you dead. I also love the fact that the first 8 are consistent with each other and he just got more and more messed up looking each movie. The inconsistencies with Freddy's powers/weaknesses is really started to bother me as an adult now that I watch the series in order.

Child's Play was probably the only one I had actually seen complete and in order as a kid. I liked Chucky, but haven't seen most of them more than once and it's a series I've been wanting to re-watch in it's entirety. I have them all on DVD but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Loved Curse though.

As for Michael Myers, I pretty much managed to miss that entire series growing up. I think I had only seen Halloween: Resurrection when it first hit cable and nothing else. I didn't hate it as much as most people do (and still think it's kind of stupid fun to watch) but I didn't see the entire series until my 20s. I do own all of them, but I'd only really say the first 4 and H20 are good movies. 5 and 6 are pretty terrible, Resurrection is dumb (but kinda fun) and I absolutely hate Rob Zombie's remake series. Halloween III is my fave of the series so I guess that goes to show where I rank Mikey with the big boy slashers.

Yeah definitely! I have been wanting to talk more about horror movies so you'll find me in this thread more often.

I ended up watching Re-animator since i saw it on both lists and on netflix lol. I actually really enjoyed it. Some pretty funny scenes but dang what a messed up ending that was although I expected something along the lines of that would happen.

I also watched You're Next which I guess might fall into the category? That was pretty entertaining. I love how the movie actually explained why the female lead was so knowledgeable about that kind of stuff. Something that small yet important is always missing in horror movies at times

Glad you liked Re-Animator. That's one I find gets better with each viewing too, much like the Evil Dead series. I never get tired of it.

I guess you could consider You're Next a horror comedy, but it was pretty bleak for one. I really enjoyed it though.

kinggroin

Banned
Just saw I Am A Ghost. Its like Kubrik's amateur horror movie entry for a contest or something.

That's a good thing. A really good thing.

Watching The Den at the moment. It's way better than I thought it would be and it's pretty creepy stuff.

I can also vouch for In Fear. First half is way better than the second half but it's a pretty ok movie.

For anyone that has finished The Den (massive spoiler):

You guys think the kid in the end is the same kid from the beginning of the movie? Not sure if that's what you're supposed to think or not.

El_Chino

Just found out Insidious 3 won't connect to the final scene in Insidious 2 and quite frankly that just killed all my interest and hope for the film.

Finally, I've been waiting for this one to come out. I really really enjoyed the first 2 movies. Hell, I even liked the 3rd one, thought it was decent

Anyone else really have a hard time getting into most new age french horror movies(or whatever they call it)? I really liked Inside, but Martyrs I find myself losing interest in it 40 mins in.

Anyone else really have a hard time getting into most new age french horror movies(or whatever they call it)? I really liked Inside, but Martyrs I find myself losing interest in it 40 mins in.

I really didn't see the appeal of Martyrs at all. I expected something unique, not just torture porn with better directing.

Eanan

Watched the seasoning house tonight. Decent enough if a bit predictable near the end. Some very distrubjng scenes and good make up and effects.

Worth a watch if you like realistic horror films based on what humans cam do to the other humans, with human trafficking being the topic in the film.

So Netflix DVD used to be the way to go to see pretty much anything including some of the harder to find stuff, but their selection just gets worse as discs damage, stolen, lost. And they can't easily replace many of the discs as they go OOP. Streaming is limited, so all a person can do is buy so many older titles? Course lot of stuff gets put on YouTube, but not everything.

Top Bottom