• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

I have not seen any giallo films! Thanks for the wiki link as it sounds like they'd be right up my alley. I'll definitely have to include the ones you recommend on my list.

I've seen the first three modern movies you mention (I adore Session 9, it's one of my favorites and The Thing is one of the classics I re-watch every year) so I'll have to check out the other two.

Thanks for the recs, I appreciate them!

Just be mindful if you get into gialli, a lot of them are straight thriller/mystery movies, not horror.

I made that mistake last year. Still good movies, but not fit for the marathon. Now I check them out on imdb first to see what they list the genre as.

The last third is not perfect and it was kind of easy to guess what was going to happen, but still it didn't stop the movie from being unsettling and creepy. Avoid reading the imdb boards and the reviews, because even the slightest hint will ruin the experience.

You're right about that last third but everything else managed to creep me out. Thanks for the rec

strafer

Anyone seen this?

vogiYXB.jpg

dokish

Banned
Horror GAF have any thoughts on Dead End?

I thought it was a little boring.

I can see it getting a bit underwhelming on a second watch. I think this is one of those movies where the first time you see it is amazing and seeing again and again never feels the same.

I really really liked it. It's a 2003 movie, when it was released I think we never quite got something like this, so I had a blast. Amazing that the whole movie happens inside
a car

T.O.P

Banned
Didn't know what to watch so i went with

nightmare2.JPG

Since i never really watched the sequels
Halfway through and the gay factor in this movie is just amazing, what an unexecpeted horror sequel lol

Vazduh

Watched two movies tonight.

The first was Cat People (1942), which I liked, although I wish I had watched it before I Walked With A Zombie because I would have probably liked it more. I think I expected a bit too much out of this one, although I still want to check out the sequel.

The second one was Demoni (1985), which is one of the gory "classics" I'd always wanted to watch, but always forgot to. Well, finally got to cross that one off the list, although I can't say I liked it very much. The gory scenes were fun, the music was good, but the story and the acting were sub-par, to say the least. And btw, it took four people to write the movie? LOL.

I recommend to do so, if you enjoy older genre flicks. I still love this scene: http://youtu.be/Io-ia6IQGGA

Ooh, this looks like something I have to watch soon :)

Gwanatu T

Hey guys, figured you'd be interested in this community. It's run by a couple GAFfers and seems to have a consistent amounting content posted to it every day (though its just the same three people usually). They encourage participation from everyone so I think it'd be a cool place to share with others since its fairly active.

Also, I second the guy who recommended Honeymoon. Slight disappointment in the end, but a very fun ride up until.

Linky:https://plus.google.com/app/basic/c...4p&sview=18&cid=5&soc-app=115&soc-platform=1#

zeemumu

So I decided to start off October's horror movie month with Grave Encounters 2 since I hadn't seen it yet. It's not great, but that's mostly due to the logic of the characters. The Grave Encounters 1 team had no idea that the place changed its architecture every so often. This team (or at least the main character) went into the building on the assumption that the first movie was real, so how did they expect to get out?

silverarcher

Neo Member
It's been a while since I've seen a horror movie that left a lasting impression. The only one I can think of that has come close was The Evil Dead (remake) for shock factor, and The Conjuring for story. Everything has been so disappointing, like the writers of all the recent movies have been reaching into the same hat to pick the endings, ex: Sinister, Oculus, Insidious, etc. They start out great and then I find myself leaving the theater, figuratively speaking. Blah.

With that said, I'm looking forward to The Babadook because it might have some promise.

MikeMyers

How did I never notice this thread? Oh man I'd love to talk about horror with you guys.

Recently I bought the NOES Bluray set and rewatched them for the first time in years. My rankings are NOES3, NOES4, NOES1, WCNN, NOES5, NOES6, NOES2. I've seen FvJ, the remake, and even the Bollywood version but I didn't include them in the rankings as it has been a while since I've seen them.

I'll have to catch-up on some other posts here. Look forward to talking to you guys. :)

Vorheez

Hey guys! I'm going to be having a horror movie night at my house on Halloween and am looking for some movie suggestions.

I'm a massive smasher film fan, but that's not what I'm looking for. I find those kinds of films amusing and I want terrifying. Utterly terrifying like emotionally scar you for months terrifying. I blindly made some picks and am considering The Conjuring and Sinister, how are those?

Throw some stuff at me guys! Let's liven this thread up considering it's so close to Halloween, gotta get in the spirit ;)

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Hey guys! I'm going to be having a horror movie night at my house on Halloween and am looking for some movie suggestions.

I'm a massive smasher film fan, but that's not what I'm looking for. I find those kinds of films amusing and I want terrifying. Utterly terrifying like emotionally scar you for months terrifying. I blindly made some picks and am considering The Conjuring and Sinister, how are those?

Throw some stuff at me guys! Let's liven this thread up considering it's so close to Halloween, gotta get in the spirit ;)

The thing is, you will never find a movie terrifying if you go into it looking for terrifying. You(I am using a generic "you" I don't mean you personally) get all hyped up, and will always end up disappointed. Especially if you watch with friends.

That being said, movies that have scared me in the past would be something like:
The Descent
The Innkeepers
The Strangers
Problem is, these are kind of slow burns, and might not be suitable for a movie night.

If you want to be scarred for months you could always go in a different direction:
A Serbian Film
Salo
Human Centipede 2
Slaughtered vomit dolls

Vorheez

The thing is, you will never find a movie terrifying if you go into it looking for terrifying. You(I am using a generic "you" I don't mean you personally) get all hyped up, and will always end up disappointed. Especially if you watch with friends.

That being said, movies that have scared me in the past would be something like:
The Descent
The Innkeepers
The Strangers
Problem is, these are kind of slow burns, and might not be suitable for a movie night.

If you want to be scarred for months you could always go in a different direction:
A Serbian Film
Salo
Human Centipede 2
Slaughtered vomit dolls
Ok right on, thanks for the suggestions! I'll try and lower the groups expectations for the films haha.

How were the two I've already picked though? Any good?

Edit: k wtf is svd

How were the two I've already picked though? Any good?
Most people seem to agree that the first part of Sinister is great, but many were disappointed by the second part. This movie also relies a lot on jump scares.

My opinion on The Conjuring:
A nice addition to the Haunted House genre. Nothing revolutionary for those of us who grew up with Poltergeist and Amityville (and the Exorcist), but it does the job. And like with many movies of its kind, I found it more creepy when it was subtle than when it became spectacular.

zeemumu

I don't think the resident evil movies should have had that title. I know it's for familiarity and a few monster designs, but aside from that it has nothing to do with the series. It's more or less it's own thing.

Any US home release of Return of the Living Dead isn't butchered audio wise?

Yeah. I think it's the region B. I have to double check though.

I'll get you a link to the correct one tonight. I'm on a mobile right now.

Edit: oh, US? Not yet. There is a new one coming out but I think it's just the old disc with a badass new cover. I'll look into it.

Edit 2: Okay, the new US version that came out this month appears to be the same old disc with a new faceplate. Don't bother.

If you want to import, the Region B from Second Sight is the one to get. Here's an article on Twitch about the audio.

Apparently it is Region B locked, but you can get around the region locking by simply pressing Top Menu when the wrong region screen comes up. I don't have it myself to verify, but that's what the people on blu-ray.com say.

Edit 3: Okay, to further confuse things, the steelbook version from Second Sight is now out of print (which explains the crazy price) and a standard case version is out. I'm trying to make sure the disc's region lock can still be bypassed on the standard version but haven't found any solid info yet. It sounds like the same disc, buy you never know.

I'm trying to justify importing it now, but I already have the Region A...

Yeah. I think it's the region B. I have to double check though.

I'll get you a link to the correct one tonight. I'm on a mobile right now.

Edit: oh, US? Not yet. There is a new one coming out but I think it's just the old disc with a badass new cover. I'll look into it.

Edit 2: Okay, the new US version that came out this month appears to be the same old disc with a new faceplate. Don't bother.

If you want to import, the Region B from Second Sight is the one to get. Here's an article on Twitch about the audio.

Apparently it is Region B locked, but you can get around the region locking by simply pressing Top Menu when the wrong region screen comes up. I don't have it myself to verify, but that's what the people on blu-ray.com say.

Edit 3: Okay, to further confuse things, the steelbook version from Second Sight is now out of print (which explains the crazy price) and a standard case version is out. I'm trying to make sure the disc's region lock can still be bypassed on the standard version but haven't found any solid info yet. It sounds like the same disc, buy you never know.

I'm trying to justify importing it now, but I already have the Region A...

Kinda sounds like the Beyond Blu Ray I got from Arrow. I can get the main movie to play fine in the US, but the extras disc won't play.

Melchiah

sJ1QV1n.jpg

I saw this last weekend at the local Night Visions film festival, and it's the best horror comedy I've seen in years. I haven't laughed that much since I saw Happiness (1998) a while ago. The banter between the cat and the dog was particularly hilarious. I can definitely recommend it to those who like their comedy black.

“From the fecund imagination of Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis) comes this very twisted horror-comedy about an awkward young shipping clerk, his talking pets, and the things that can happen when you suddenly stop taking your medication. — Set in the picturesque fictional town of Milton, The Voices is an outrageous send-up of American optimism in keeping with the best of Tim Burton or John Waters. The film’s violence is brutal but also heavily stylized – Jerry’s in denial of the horrendous crimes he’s committing, and much of what we see is tempered by his skewed perspective.”
– Cameron Bailey / Toronto International Film Festival

Well, I watched it and it was actually alright kinda decent! Went in with very low expectations still, but yeah way better than the original

Do you need to have seen the original to follow it? I'm interested in checking it out because of the Soska sisters and Katharine Isabelle but I've never seen the original nor do I have any desire to.

Do you need to have seen the original to follow it? I'm interested in checking it out because of the Soska sisters and Katharine Isabelle but I've never seen the original nor do I have any desire to.

No not at all. There are minor flashbacks that give enough info and characters give a little backstory

Top Bottom