• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

As-Above-So-Below-620x250.jpg

Saw this last night in a pretty empty theater. I went in expecting something like The Descent and it while it got pretty close to the feeling of claustrophobia that movie had it ended up being pretty terrible. Dumb characters that you never really care about dying in ways that are never explained. To top it all off the ending just a complete wash with NOTHING happening.

Saw this last night in a pretty empty theater. I went in expecting something like The Descent and it while it got pretty close to the feeling of claustrophobia that movie had it ended up being pretty terrible. Dumb characters that you never really care about dying in ways that are never explained. To top it all off the ending just a complete wash with NOTHING happening.

That's too bad. I was hoping it would be good.

kai3345

Banned
Anyone seen The Borderlands yet? It was a really fun found-footage film. It had some really sharp, witty writing and the atmosphere was just creepy as hell. Would definitely recommend.

Carnby

I just watched I Spit On Your Grave 2, and was reminded of why I fucking love revenge flicks. Everyone has their vices.

zeemumu

What was the ending? I keep hearing everyone say that they were disappointed by it.

Vazduh

Watched the Maniac remake last night. I had a quibble with certain locations in L.A. being conveniently empty whenever Frank decided to stalk women, but still, it didn't deter me from enjoying the movie.

Well, enjoying isn't probably the most appropriate word since the movie was a really nasty and uncomfortable watch, but I appreciated what the director tried to convey with the first person approach, i.e. making the viewers participants in the murders.

Speaking of nasty movies...

This Korean movie comes highly recommended.

Just an FYI for those of you who would like to participate in the 31 Days of Horror marathon this year;

As usual I'll be putting the thread up around the 15th of this month so we can start the discussion of which movies to watch. So start saving up those movies!

dokish

Banned
Just passing by to put a good word for the movie The Final. The execution was pretty good IMO and I enjoyed the "gore" parts.

Wanna watch something similar.

Vazduh

Really? I watched up until the
arrow in forehead. Perhaps the first 5-10 minutes?
and it seemed pretty boring so I quit. Should I go back?

Well, it depends on whether you can handle sub-mediocre acting and silly twists. The heroine is pretty great, though, she was the main reason why I watched it till the end.

Those who liked You're Next might also enjoy Kristy (Random), mostly because of the main character.

JJD

Anyone knows if Bloody-disgusting.com is down? I haven't been able to get in the site in a long time, it always show a "403 Forbidden" error message.

dokish

Banned
Finished Oculus.

I think the ending kinda ruined the whole experience. Pretty unsatisfying.

Also, I want more information about the
mirror

I might actually try the 31 Days of Horror challenge next month. That said, I'm having a hard time picking out newer horror movies that I'd be okay with. I can't handle a lot of gore and I tend to like more suspenseful flicks. Some of the recent movies I enjoyed are In Fear, The Woman in Black, and The Conjuring. I've seen a lot of the classics (Exorcist, Poltergeist, Halloween, The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, Hitchcock movies, etc.)

Any recommendations? I'm open to foreign movies as well.

I got to cross Kristy (aka Random aka Satanic) off my list.

IMDb summary: When a college girl who is alone on campus over the Thanksgiving break is targeted by a group of outcasts, she must conquer her deepest fears to outwit them and fight back.

Pros:

-For the most part it's a lean, mean little slasher movie reminiscent of The Strangers, only better. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that one (although I loved the script, go figure)
-Justine is a relatable character, and best of all, she's smart and resourceful. Loved her.
-Without credits, the movie is only 75 minutes long, meaning that the pacing is insanely fast.
-The performances are generally very good, and the directing was solid.
-The director mostly stuck to the original script, which was really good.
-Although it's R-rated, the violence is never gratuitous.

Cons:

-Too many jump scares! There was one that was extremely well done
(the kitchen scene)
, but there were several fake and really loud ones. Not fun.
-Ashley Greene could and should have been replaced with any other actress out there. Not that she did a bad job, she delivered her
several
lines well, it's just that she wasn't menacing enough.
-When I said that the director mostly stuck to the original script, that means there were some changes. I didn't like most of them and I thought they brought the movie down, especially the biggest one, which was the addition of
antagonists' motivation
. It wasn't necessary to the story, although I suppose it was added in because of the potential sequels. I also wish that the director didn't change the scene where
Justin's boyfriend dies
: in the movie his
upcoming demise
is more than obvious, while in the script he
comes to the rescue, you think it's going to be OK, and before he can complete the sentence, he's shot in the head by one of the bad guys.
Basically, the director messed up what could have been the biggest (and well-earned) jump scare. Eh.

In the end, I think I'd recommend this movie to everyone who wants to watch a fun slasher. Just don't expect anything innovative, it's not that kind of movie.

You were not lying about the jump scares damn. It's so excessive, it annoyed me more than anything

Vazduh

Check out Honeymoon, guys, it's the real deal.

The last third is not perfect and it was kind of easy to guess what was going to happen, but still it didn't stop the movie from being unsettling and creepy. Avoid reading the imdb boards and the reviews, because even the slightest hint will ruin the experience.

The last third is not perfect and it was kind of easy to guess what was going to happen, but still it didn't stop the movie from being unsettling and creepy. Avoid reading the imdb boards and the reviews, because even the slightest hint will ruin the experience.

Not playing in my area but I'll keep an eye out

Damn, that time already? I might actually participate this year.

One of us! One of us!

Yeah, take part. Even if you can't do a full 31 (most people don't), every participant helps make it more fun for everyone.

Thanks for the warning about avoiding reading any reviews. I was looking forward to that and would hate to run it. Guess I'll try to work it in before the marathon, just in case.

I'm in for the 31 days or horror challenge. My post asking for recs was the last post on the previous page so I'm not sure if people saw it. I can't handle a lot of gore but I love suspenseful/psychological thriller type horror movies (Conjuring, Exorcist, The Shining, etc.) I've already found a few because of this thread (Willow Creek, In Fear), which is awesome.

Any other recs? I'm starting to formulate my list for next month. :)

I'm in for the 31 days or horror challenge. My post asking for recs was the last post on the previous page so I'm not sure if people saw it. I can't handle a lot of gore but I love suspenseful/psychological thriller type horror movies (Conjuring, Exorcist, The Shining, etc.) I've already found a few because of this thread (Willow Creek, In Fear), which is awesome.

You sir, sound like a perfect candidate to be introduced to the wonderful world of gialli.

Have you seen any giallo films before? If not, here's a couple you might want to look into:

- Tenebre (1982) (my personal fave)
- Blood and Black Lace (1964) (this BLEW MY MIND last year)
- Deep Red (1975)
- Torso (1973)

If you're looking for something a little more modern or traditional, here's some "normal" horror/suspense movies you may like:

- Session 9 (2001)
- In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
- The Thing (1982)
- The Pact (2012)
- You're Next (2011)

That's all I could come up with for now off the top of my head. If I think of anymore I'll make another post.

You sir, sound like a perfect candidate to be introduced to the wonderful world of gialli.

Have you seen any giallo films before? If not, here's a couple you might want to look into:

- Tenebre (1982) (my personal fave)
- Blood and Black Lace (1964) (this BLEW MY MIND last year)
- Deep Red (1975)
- Torso (1973)

If you're looking for something a little more modern or traditional, here's some "normal" horror/suspense movies you may like:

- Session 9 (2001)
- In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
- The Thing (1982)
- The Pact (2012)
- You're Next (2011)

That's all I could come up with for now off the top of my head. If I think of anymore I'll make another post.

I have not seen any giallo films! Thanks for the wiki link as it sounds like they'd be right up my alley. I'll definitely have to include the ones you recommend on my list.

I've seen the first three modern movies you mention (I adore Session 9, it's one of my favorites and The Thing is one of the classics I re-watch every year) so I'll have to check out the other two.

Thanks for the recs, I appreciate them!

Any other recs? I'm starting to formulate my list for next month. :)

ibdfS3HcdC3g0A.jpg

Top Bottom