• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Does anyone else here just goes in expecting a somewhat disappointing ending nowadays? I truly feel like hardly any horror movies recently know how to end a movie and it saddens me honestly. I've also said this many times too but I also really hate twists where the main character ends up being the killer. I try to be honest and say hey, I did enjoy 3/4 of the movie though! But JEEZ do I hate that twist. It's partially why I cannot go around praising that ONE movie everyone seems to mention and yall know what i'm talking about and it's not Psycho.

Melchiah

Does anyone else here just goes in expecting a somewhat disappointing ending nowadays? I truly feel like hardly any horror movies recently know how to end a movie and it saddens me honestly. I've also said this many times too but I also really hate twists where the main character ends up being the killer. I try to be honest and say hey, I did enjoy 3/4 of the movie though! But JEEZ do I hate that twist. It's partially why I cannot go around praising that ONE movie everyone seems to mention and yall know what i'm talking about and it's not Psycho.

REC and Martyrs are the last horror movies I remember having a truly outstanding endings. Nothing of equal merit has come after those two.

Shitty day at work so I decided to buy some horror movies for weekend. I bought a "Omen"-box with Omen I-IV + the remake.

I never watched one of those movies, trailers or any reviews. I heard of them a few times but I have no idea if they are any good, bad or average. Nonetheless, I also bought a six-pack, a pizza and some chips and candy. I will probably gain a pound or two after this night, lol. Well, sometimes you need one of those days.

Wish me luck.

I watched Mama yesterday... and I loved it. It defiintely spooked me in some places. I thought in particular the sound was phenomenal as was the Mama character.

Mama is worth seeing just for the excellent sound. The creature was terrifying too.

It really sounded terrifying the way her scratchy, sort of distressed growl/moan was done and it freaked me out nicely. I was really impressed at that. It's not everyday that you hear a sound that you've never heard before and I've never heard anything like what Mama sounded like. I found myself coming undone whenever they had her show up. It just made me wish there was a witch movie where the witches are super over the top like that. It's the kind of monster that I envisioned for Blair Witch, though we never got to see the actual Blair Witch.

So, on the back of some solid character design and really scary encounters, I am putting Mama up there as the best movie I've seen since Dark Skies.

T.O.P

Banned
So far Dead Snow 2 is fuckin great

tumblr_n4ioo2CeW81t0demio1_500.gif

zeemumu

Maaaybe? The trailer made me sad and a little annoyed. It was a literal by-the-book cliche tour.

I really hope they don't screw it up. The best moments were the ones where the scare was just creepy imagery buildup. The ending was the best example. You were tensed the entire time waiting for a jump, but the jump never came so the tension just never went away.

zeemumu

I saw this at an advance screening last night. It starts off well, but then resorts to very cheap and mostly ineffective jump scares for the remainder of the film. Quite a disappointment.

Damn it.

On the bright side I was made aware of a kickstarter for a 5v1 game where one player is a slasher and the others are teenagers.

zeemumu

The Babadook was a pretty good movie. It's a psychological thriller for most of the film and does a great job with atmosphere. My only complaints are that the kid is annoying and it's a little short.

Melchiah

The Babadook was a pretty good movie. It's a psychological thriller for most of the film and does a great job with atmosphere. My only complaints are that the kid is annoying and it's a little short.

I thought it was very disappointing. The brat was insufferable, and his gringeworthy antics were so exaggerated that they affected the atmosphere negatively. I did enjoy some parts of the latter half though, where
the mom went a bit crazy
. Unfortunately the ending was a return to the beginning's mediocrity.

zeemumu

I thought it was very disappointing. The brat was insufferable, and his gringeworthy antics were so exaggerated that they affected the atmosphere negatively. I did enjoy some parts of the latter half though, where
the mom went a bit crazy
. Unfortunately the ending was a return to the beginning's mediocrity.

I'll admit that I started laughing when
he was in the car and she yelled "why can't you just be normal?!" and he started screaming for no reason.
But I legitimately didn't think that this was anything but a psychological thriller when I started watching it. Mostly because of
the way that she said that she used to write things, including children's books. I thought that she wrote Mister Babadook during her descent into madness and at the end she wouldn't get possessed by him, she'd just become so crazy that she becomes him.

Melchiah

I'll admit that I started laughing when
he was in the car and she yelled "why can't you just be normal?!" and he started screaming for no reason.
But I legitimately didn't think that this was anything but a psychological thriller when I started watching it. Mostly because of
the way that she said that she used to write things, including children's books. I thought that she wrote Mister Babadook during her descent into madness and at the end she wouldn't get possessed by him, she'd just become so crazy that she becomes him.

He was more annoying than kids in horror films usually are, which is an accomplishment of sorts. ;) I agree with what you said about the mother, and
some of her actions evoked memories of The Shining to an extent.

T.O.P

Banned
AbsentiaPoster3.jpg

This was pretty damn great D: (and i also really felt bad for some of the characters wich for a horror movie is impressive lol)

Was expecting a really shitty movie since the BD cover screamed cheap, almost didn't pick it up at first

Glad i did, also been reading that the budget was just around 70k, really impressive stuff

So yea, highly racommended!

zeemumu

Any good mainstream movies coming out in theaters? Woman in Black 2, Sinister 2, and Paranormal Activity: Danny Phantom edition are the only horror movies that I can think of that are coming out.

T.O.P

Banned
Any good mainstream movies coming out in theaters? Woman in Black 2, Sinister 2, and Paranormal Activity: Danny Phantom edition are the only horror movies that I can think of that are coming out.

REC4 (this one being good is uncertain lol) and What We Do in the Shadows are the only ones coming to mind atm

Just finished Babadook and man the way it ended was really refreshing! Overall it was pretty decent, very tense doesn't rely on jump scares at all, although the kid is annoying in the movie... purposely, but still warning for those who check it out. I didn't mind that much because idk I feel like it's to be expected majority of the time

REC4 (this one being good is uncertain lol) and What We Do in the Shadows are the only ones coming to mind atm

I'm so uncertain about REC4 being good...I wasn't really feeling the trailer I saw recently.

Anyway, Netflix has Nightbreed Director Cut up and I honestly never heard of the movie at all surprisingly. I really really enjoyed it, this movie came out of nowhere for me. Pretty crazy, also the serial killer has a super dope mask

zeemumu

I think Dead Alive is my limit on gore, at least in movies. If haunted houses at theme parks are a medium too then Clowns 3D at Halloween Horror Nights was my limit. The backstory involved a clown who offers free icecream to guests, then fattens them up and uses them to make more ice cream and then uses the remains to make more clowns. There was a room full of fattened up people vomiting into urinals and a room made of pure feces (and probably people). It's a pretty creative take on the whole "evil clown" thing but damn was that gross. I had no idea that you could harness the smell of gas station bathroom x 11.

I don't get the hate for REC3. I feel that most of the hate is because it went into a different direction(more Evil Dead 2 style). It's fun and the amount of hate it got honestly made me think I was going to watch one of the worst movies of all time.

I don't get the hate for REC3. I feel that most of the hate is because it went into a different direction(more Evil Dead 2 style). It's fun and the amount of hate it got honestly made me think I was going to watch one of the worst movies of all time.

I really enjoyed Rec 3. It's such a shift in tone though, I can see why people who wanted more of the same (like Rec 2 was) would be disappointed. Plus, since it takes place at the start of the outbreak, it doesn't really add anything new.

Not comparing it with the previous 2 movies is the way to go. It's a fun time.

Everyone talks about REC but no one talks about Quarantine.

That's because Quarantine is pretty blah. The changes they made to it (mainly the altered ending and the poor attempts at adding more scares) make it more generic and at times, silly. It also loses some of that "realness" having actors you've seen before.

I love [REC] 3. The shift in tone really worked for me and helped keep things fresh. I also really appreciated the shift away from found footage. While the first two were among the best in the genre, I think the gimmick ran its course for a third film. I'm super-excited to see Apocalypse, and will grab it on VOD as soon as I can. Given the trailers and footage I've seen, I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

Melchiah

Well, that's exactly why I hated the The Evil Dead sequels, as they abandoned horror for comedy. ED2 is a fun flick in itself, but as a sequel to my favorite horror film ever it failed miserably.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Well, that's exactly why I hated the The Evil Dead sequels, as they abandoned horror for comedy. ED2 is a fun flick in itself, but as a sequel to my favorite horror film ever it failed miserably.

I thought I was the only person that hated the Evil Dead sequels! I really dislike horror comedies like those. I even liked the remake of evil dead more than the sequels.

Zombine

Banned
Evil Dead 1- Loved

Evil Dead 2- Has its moments

Army of Darkness- I don't consider this a horror movie. Fantasy movie.

Evil Dead Remake- Brilliant

Melchiah

I thought I was the only person that hated the Evil Dead sequels! I really dislike horror comedies like those. I even liked the remake of evil dead more than the sequels.

You're definitely not the only one. I know several people, who think the same way. It seems to me, that many of those who saw the original when it was released like it more than the sequels. The younger ones who saw the movies later, or the sequels first, seem to like the comedic approach more.

Evil Dead 1- Loved

Evil Dead 2- Has its moments

Army of Darkness- I don't consider this a horror movie. Fantasy movie.

Same here, but I wouldn't call the remake brilliant, although it was better than I expected. I just disliked the ending and the wisecracks.

I really enjoyed Rec 3. It's such a shift in tone though, I can see why people who wanted more of the same (like Rec 2 was) would be disappointed. Plus, since it takes place at the start of the outbreak, it doesn't really add anything new.

Not comparing it with the previous 2 movies is the way to go. It's a fun time.
From my understanding though it was always planned as REC3 to be a departure while 4 to continue on doing what 1/2 were doing.
I just take movies as they are man. The same people who complain about departure of direction generally are the same people who complain about sequels doing the same as the first movie.

Sometimes ideas get put into sequels because they know they won't be able to put it into a new movie with the same amount of budget

Zombine

Banned
Same here, but I wouldn't call the remake brilliant, although it was better than I expected. I just disliked the ending and the wisecracks.

I think that the state that horror has been in for the past 7+ years where everything is all about jump scares and cheap CGI, I found great value in the conventional effects and gallons of blood.

T.O.P

Banned

yup

Best remake since 2004 Dawn of the Dead (wich i just re-watched, so damn fun)

Anyway, bout to watch this

citadel-poster.jpg

Desperately in need of some new movies, i went through the entire bloodydisgusting review archive, not even exaggerating lol

T.O.P

Banned
Are they still going forward that this isn't a remake and actually exists within a parallel universe?

Got a lot of friends who are 110% sure of that lol

Anyway wth

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/evil-dead-series-starz-ash-bruce-campbell-1201352764/

totally missed this...donnow how should i feel :/

I don't remember a single thing that happened in the Evil Dead remake.

edgif8.gif

edgif1.gif

edgif10.gif

haven't seen people walking out of a theatre in years before this movie lol

Melchiah

I just take movies as they are man. The same people who complain about departure of direction generally are the same people who complain about sequels doing the same as the first movie.

Sometimes ideas get put into sequels because they know they won't be able to put it into a new movie with the same amount of budget

I have no objections on renewing the concept, as long as it stays true to its roots, and doesn't move towards a different genre, like comedy or action. REC2 did that pretty well. Far better than ED2, as far as I'm concerned.

I think that the state that horror has been in for the past 7+ years where everything is all about jump scares and cheap CGI, I found great value in the conventional effects and gallons of blood.

Yeah, CGI often ruins modern horror films, werewolf flicks and The Thing prequel in particular. It's kinda amusing, that the monsters in the 80's films still look better than their modern counterparts due to the use of practical effects.

The reliance to jump scares is tiresome. I miss horror movies, that have a lingering feel of unease, and manage to keep you on the edge of your seat without shoving something into your face on regular intervals.

I dont mind CG creatures when done decently, it's the CG gore that kills most modern horror films. You can have a decent film, but its all brought down by all the gore being awful CG

The Evil Dead remake was fantastic up until the ending, they really screwed the pooch there. So much build-up for such a banal-looking, non-scary villain.

Top Bottom