• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Saw this shitlord of a movie last night on Netflix purely for the "look at these once prominent actors in a garbage picture" and was not disappointed. Complete unknowns outside of Rhames and Kilmer, stitled af dialogue, a couple actors of questionable European origin that almost borders on Tommy Wiseau levels of accent ambiguity. It's bad but at least entertaining bad, and Kilmer is so over the top that makes the ride worth it.

z7gill8.jpg

zeemumu

What do you guys think of that movie Crimson Peak that's coming out in a few months. I wasn't aware of it until I found out that they're doing a maze for it at Halloween Horror Nights and it looks kinda good. Ghosts from that era always freak me out.

What do you guys think of that movie Crimson Peak that's coming out in a few months. I wasn't aware of it until I found out that they're doing a maze for it at Halloween Horror Nights and it looks kinda good. Ghosts from that era always freak me out.

Despite enjoying Mama, from the trailers it looked sorta dull to me and too tonally similar to the recent English countryside ghost films I've watched, but after hearing that Del Toro pushed for an R rating, I'm interested to watch

inm8num2

I'm quite excited. GDT also had this to say recently:

"I made it clear it was not horror, it was gothic romance," Del Toro told me about his pitch to the studio. "So you are going to have some of the trappings and scares of horror, but you have also the sad beauty of romance. We went and created this, which is a throwback to the lavish Hollywood productions of yore."

It looks like quite a beautiful film.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
George Mihalka, director of My Bloody Valentine. One of my Top 5 slashers ever. Will mount that sucker in a frame ASAP.

A couple of weeks ago someone made a thread requesting horror movies from the last 2 years. I host a movie night every Saturday and I've already gone through all the recommendations in that thread. There were some excellent lesser known horror movies in that thread and I'd like to have more suggestions for movies from the last ten-ish years. Especially horror comedies seemed to do well, Housebound being my favourite of the bunch.

totoro'd

Well it's finally coming to (select?) theatres in September.

Also, a new trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcpYPu9M3bw

(I never watch horror movie trailers, I want to be surprised!)

Wow thanks to that trailer i now know exactly what happens
group of conservationists fly to south america to save the rainforest, plane crashes, they get captured by cannibals, some/most of them get eaten/sacrificed, girl must escape

drotahorror

Wow thanks to that trailer i now know exactly what happens
group of conservationists fly to south america to save the rainforest, plane crashes, they get captured by cannibals, some/most of them get eaten/sacrificed, girl must escape

Guess that's meant to be a jab at me not wanting to be spoiled by trailers? Whatever man. Seems kind of trivial to take a shot at me because I said that.

Watched that 'A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night'. Didn't like it at all. Slick presentation on the blu ray art/case/comic though.

vityaz

A couple of weeks ago someone made a thread requesting horror movies from the last 2 years. I host a movie night every Saturday and I've already gone through all the recommendations in that thread. There were some excellent lesser known horror movies in that thread and I'd like to have more suggestions for movies from the last ten-ish years. Especially horror comedies seemed to do well, Housebound being my favourite of the bunch.

Didn't see that thread so no clue what was recommended, but /r/horror is pretty good and people are posting about recommendations all the time.

Search results for 'recent', bunch of threads and recommendations:
https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/search?q=recent&sort=relevance&restrict_sr=on&t=all

George Mihalka, director of My Bloody Valentine. One of my Top 5 slashers ever. Will mount that sucker in a frame ASAP.

http://abload.de/img/11719916_101542711442nkq6c.jpg
http://abload.de/img/img_20150720_1319137uj95.jpg

Man, how awesome

PandaTree

Neo Member
Are there any movies from the last 15 years which are genuinely scary or at least downright unsettling/chilling for an adult? Struggling to find one, but I'd really, really like to.

I found sinister pretty grim and I think the follow up is coming out soon.

Also I watched Creep (2014/15) on U.S Netflix recently and I found that a bit disturbing but i wouldn't say it's too hard a watch.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creep_2014/

Cube 1997 - loved this film although again I didn't find it too harrowing but others have told me that they found it pretty depressing.

Insidious always gets me and I've seen it 3 times.

I really enjoyed American Mary as well, again I didn't find it too disturbing but you might.

Lastly I haven't seen this film since I was a teenager but the U.S version of the Grudge really freaked me out. I think it was the bleakness and emptiness of it.

I feel like I am forgetting something so if i remember I'll add it in.

I'll add the descent to the list, I found that pretty frightening on first watch and very enjoyable on second watch. I found the dark and claustrophobic setting coupled with the hopeless vibe really frightening on first watch and there are some good jumps. It's a very entertaining film.

haikira

Starting to collect films already for my marathon this October. Not knowing anything about it, other than I've had it recommended by quite a few friends, do you guys think Kill List is a horror film? Was just wondering if it would be eligible for the 31 days of horror thread.

Also, any strong opinions on the below?

StageFright: Aquarius (Deliria) (1987)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Loved Ones (2009)
Grave Encounters (2011)
As Above, So Below (2014)

EDIT

Going to be going through this thread for purchase ideas. Though if anyone has any films, especially ones off the beaten path, I'd always be appreciative of any recommendations.

Here's what I've watched the previous times for reference. 2012 - 2013.01 - 2013.02 - 2014

Never hit that 31 mark. Maybe this'll be the year!

Starting to collect films already for my marathon this October. Not knowing anything about it, other than I've had it recommended by quite a few friends, do you guys think Kill List is a horror film? Was just wondering if it would be eligible for the 31 days of horror thread.

Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Loved Ones (2009)
Grave Encounters (2011)

EDIT

Going to be going through this thread for purchase ideas. Though if anyone has any films, especially ones off the beaten path, I'd always be appreciative of any recommendations.

Here's what I've watched the previous times for reference. 2012 - 2013.01 - 2013.02 - 2014

A few people have watched Kill List during the marathon in previous years. It fits. I'll probably be including it in my 31 as well this year since it's gotten so much praise previously and I haven't seen it yet either.

StageFright: Aquarius and The Loved Ones are phenomenal. I highly recommend them.

That reminds me, I have to watch the StageFright blu-ray. I hope the transfer lives up to the quality of the movie.

haikira

A few people have watched Kill List during the marathon in previous years. It fits. I'll probably be including it in my 31 as well this year since it's gotten so much praise previously and I haven't seen it yet either.

StageFright: Aquarius and The Loved Ones are phenomenal. I highly recommend them.

That reminds me, I have to watch the StageFright blu-ray. I hope the transfer lives up to the quality of the movie.

Cheers man.

Ordered Stagefright, Loved Ones, and Kill List, and I'm setting them aside until October.

Decided build up my watchlist early this year, as I normally forget until just before October, and then get into a mad rush of picking out and finding movies.

drotahorror

Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Loved Ones (2009)
Grave Encounters (2011)

Ginger Snaps is great. It's funny, dark, and I dunno, I just enjoy horror movies that focus on the highschool scene.
The Loved Ones is solid. A lot of people loved it but I merely thought it was above average. Worth a watch though.
I enjoyed Grave Encounters a fair bit. I don't remember it much but I remember being pleasantly surprised. This seems like one that some people hated though.

Have only seen bits and pieces of As Above, So Below. Haven't seen Stagefright.

I think I'll go ahead and get Ginger Snaps on bluray, thanks for reminding me. That movie never goes down in price, been waiting way too long.

Thinking about Ginger Snaps, you should check out Excision. Absolutely brilliant and hilarious. Another movie about a girl (in highschool) who has a strange relationship with dark subjects.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just needs me a Part 2, VS, New Nightmare and Remake glove now. But the remake was shit so the glove....can wait lol.

The Part 5 glove is built from the templates used by Ryan Effner for all main gloves in The Dream Child. I regret getting in the glove collecting late because most good builders are gone by now. That one is a crown jewel though. Cost me an arm. But it's the closest thing to owning a screen glove than I can get.

Leatherface

Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Loved Ones (2009)
Grave Encounters (2011)

EDIT

Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Loved Ones (2009)

definitely the stand out titles in your list IMO.

Zombine

Banned
Anyone else feel that Halloween spirit coming on? I start to get full on into it come September 1st, but I'm getting excited knowing it's almost here.

Just needs me a Part 2, VS, New Nightmare and Remake glove now. But the remake was shit so the glove....can wait lol.

http://abload.de/img/142566249780019389910maowc.jpg

http://abload.de/img/rsz_img_20150802_164724o6g.jpg

The Part 5 glove is built from the templates used by Ryan Effner for all main gloves in The Dream Child. I regret getting in the glove collecting late because most good builders are gone by now. That one is a crown jewel though. Cost me an arm. But it's the closest thing to owning a screen glove than I can get.

Damn, remind me never to fall asleep at your house.

Which movie is the white glove from?

Cheers man.

Ordered Stagefright, Loved Ones, and Kill List, and I'm setting them aside until October.

Decided build up my watchlist early this year, as I normally forget until just before October, and then get into a mad rush of picking out and finding movies.

I hope you like them.

Ginger Snaps is probably going to be on my list this year too. I'm gonna have to sit down and rough that out soon since once again I've saved way too much stuff.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Damn, remind me never to fall asleep at your house.

Which movie is the white glove from?

That would be The Dream Child. The gloves were pretty clean on that one for some reason. But mine is too clean. It's pristine basically. The movie ones were a bit banged up. The screenused one is banged to hell now, but it kinda look like that on the screen. Mine has less red on the tips, because the blood effect is more realistic on purpose lol.

428619_1_myyoq5.jpg

EDIT. I cannot recommend Stage Fright enough. Incredible giallo/slasher hybrid. It's a masterwork of the genre. I love that film to death.

adarker

Banned
They are mostly on the gore side (especially Inside) but Martyrs got me good on the psychological side as well tbh, i also watched the movie at release and i only had just begun getting obsessed of the horror genre so that might've done some work on my opinion of it donnow lol

It's for sure worth a watch in any case tho

BTW

Just rewatched the GOAT (Cabin in the Wodds) and while looking for some extra stuff about it i got this suggestion, dude seemed pretty impressed on the uniqueness side of the movie

422120_lg_event_main.jpg

Is the hassle of tracking it down worth it gaf?

Hells yes. Eerie and very effective. I will say no more.

drotahorror

The Guest is on sale @ amazon for $8.99. Killer price for a really cool movie with some sick ass music. Probably the best soundtrack of the year to me. I thought it was better than You're Next. Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett have a bright future ahead of them (which is apparently filled with a remake, a manga adaptation and an original movie)

Steamlord

Yeah, I saw the recent horror musical titled Stage Fright and it wasn't very good. It was pretty clearly aimed directly at the high school musical theater crowd.

There is like 3 horror films titled Stagefright, make sure you guys specify what you are talking about

It sounds like everyone is on the same page and discussing the Italian slasher, Deliria.

But yeah, it's not to be confused with the 2014 musical or the Hitchcock thriller.

B-Dex

Final Destination 3 is such a classic. The Drive-Thru. The tanning salon. And I live in Vancouver so I know where they shot everything. So good.

RIP not the credits song being love train.

Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Loved Ones (2009)
Grave Encounters (2011)

EDIT

Ginger Snaps is the best of those 5, and the Loved Ones was really good. I really didn't like As Above, So Below even though I really wanted to (I loved the idea of a horror film set in the catacombs, but I'll admit my patience with found footage is beginning to wear thin). Haven't seen the other two.

basik

ZOO!

why isnt there a official thread for the tv show zoo? its about all animals on earth attacking humans. i cant make threads.

Melchiah

Horror short Reaver is available on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/128029054

Official Selection:
Fantastic Fest
A Night Of Horror International Film Festival - WINNER Best Lovecraft Film
Filmquest - WINNER Best Sci-Fi Film
Screamfest Horror Film Festival
Rhode Island International Film Festival
Savannah Film Festival
Imagine Film Festival
Mt. Hood Independent Film Festival

Screamfest Review:
"Reaver is a perfect example of a Hollywood style short, the SPFX are immense, the story is quick and to the point and the action and visuals do not disappoint, even a wonderful performance by Richard Burgi puts the icing on the cake of one of the best shorts I saw at the entire festival." Sean Evans, BACK TO THE MOVIES

Melchiah

Ahhh Melchiah you're my favorite poster on GAF! Thanks for the link, cool short!

By the way you should resurrect the creepy pictures thread! I loved that one! ;-)

Thank you. I post pics there from time to time, but not as often as I used to. My previous laptop died last autumn, and with it I lost gigabytes of images. =/

Jumped on two recommendations from Netflix: Mr Jones and Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

Mr. Jones: An artsy found footage movie in which a grating couple on a venture away from civilization to try and reconnect end up encountering a reclusive yet infamous scarecrow maker deep in the woods. The style of partially Go Pro recorded, partially lovingly filmed moments and cuts was more than a little disjointed but I guess within the fiction of the film it kinda makes sense...I say kinda because the film plays with perception and reality in a way that is intriguing but not really entertaining. There's some creepy imagery but nothing really frightening. Also the ending fell flat for me. Acting was fine. Not much more I can say rather than it should probably be serviceable if you want to alleviate boredom for a little while.

PA: The Marked Ones - Extended Cut: A recent high school graduate gets exposed to the supernatural after a weird neighbor lady is killed at the hands of a classmate of his. Whoo boy. I don't know what to say. These movies are jump scare bait. They are kinda silly and dumb. But I'll be damned if I don't come away from everyone entertained. Not scared but entertained. This movie had more funny stuff than frightening. There was a bit of horror expertise during a moment with a demon summoning but beyond that it's not too much different than any other PA. Not much else to say. I'll never see these in the theater with the midnight madness crowd but they'll always be a guilty pleasure for streaming. Cinematic junk food for me.

T.O.P

Banned
Watched Fear TWD in the afternoon and it got in the mood to re visit 28 Days Later...how fuckin good is this movie, still hoping for a 28 months announcement :( (even if 28 weeks was a weaker movie)

I'm gonna have to do a Wes film block for 31 Days of Horror this year to honor one of the best.

I'm going to watch Swamp Thing in his honor since I haven't seen that yet. That counts as horror, right?

Maybe the Hills Have Eyes or Deadly Friend too if I can get a hold of them.

Shock

Banned
I'm going to watch Swamp Thing in his honor since I haven't seen that yet. That counts as horror, right?

Maybe the Hills Have Eyes or Deadly Friend too if I can get a hold of them.

If you haven't seen the Hills Have Eyes you need to to check it out.

If you haven't seen the Hills Have Eyes you need to to check it out.

I've only seen the remake and its sequel. Sounds like the blu-ray for Wes' has very poor video quality :(
There's a Canadian version though that I'm trying to find out if it's different or not.

Shock

Banned
I've only seen the remake and its sequel. Sounds like the blu-ray for Wes' has very poor video quality :(
There's a Canadian version though that I'm trying to find out if it's different or not.

I bought this copy the day it was released:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OOP-THE-HILLS-HAVE-EYES-dvd-Anchor-Bay-2-Disc-Foil-Cover-1977-Wes-Craven-/191660876680?hash=item2c9fe0e388

I remember it looking really good but granted I think it was about 2003 when I got it.

I went and checked out the reviews for the blu ray.. It doesn't seem to be bad by any means (from the source they had to work with).. probably much better than the dvd I linked I'm sure.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5368/hills_eyes_77.html

Top Bottom