• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

T.O.P

Banned
Watched "It Follows" last night

Excellent from a technical point of view and i absolutely adored the eerie soundtrack...but it kinda got boring halfway through it...still a fun movie

Today i'm watching this

spring-2014-movie-poster.jpg

FloatOn

for a good but by the numbers haunted house movie I highly recommend We Are Still Here.

It's kind of slow at first but totally makes up for it when it goes batshit crazy at the end.

kai3345

Banned
Watched "It Follows" last night

Excellent from a technical point of view and i absolutely adored the eerie soundtrack...but it kinda got boring halfway through it...still a fun movie

Today i'm watching this

spring-2014-movie-poster.jpg

Watched it the other night. It's good, but just be aware that it really is primarily a romance movie.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Man...A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night has some incredible scenes. When she's
threatening that child
it was genuinely one of the best scenes I've seen in any film in ages.
I need to watch this.

kai3345

Banned
Just caught PONTYPOOL on Netflix.

I can't decide if I really, really like this movie or really, really hate it. I was thoroughly entertained the whole time, but was also incredibly confused, but I think that's also kind of the point of the movie? I dunno...

Finished Possession (1981) after hearing about it hear and there and damn...:

Possession_film_cover.jpg

First, the performances were flipping fantastic with Isabelle Adjani as the star of the show. The atmosphere they built was like a taut string with each moment seemingly the moment it'd snap. There's a bit of artistry in dialogue and character presentation that might have been annoying in any other film but here, what's said and done by certain characters just seemed to add to the overall unsettling feeling the movie projected. Almost like a subtle nightmare with people doing things that move the story forward but still seeming as though anyone of them could be dangerous. And maybe everyone is.

There's a new trailer out for Harbinger Down. It looks amazing. The practical work by ADI absolutely shames the CGI crap Universal used in the The Thing prequel. Bloody Disgusting says a VOD and select theatrical release is due August 1st, with a home video release on September 1st. Here's the official synopsis:

Starring genre staple Lance Henriksen, Harbinger Down follows a group of grad students have booked passage on the fishing trawler Harbinger to study the effects of global warming on a pod of Orcas in the Bering Sea. When the ship’s crew dredges up a recently thawed piece of old Soviet space wreckage, things get downright deadly. It seems that the Russians experimented with tardigrades, tiny resilient animals able to withstand the extremes of space radiation. The creatures survived, but not without mutation.

The world needs more practical effects showcases, especially when they're shamelessly aping The Thing, so I can't wait for this one.

zeemumu

Since my gaming rig is gonna be down for a few days i tried to track down some of the horror movies i skipped at first, so far i got these (please advise if there's a must-avoid in between them lol)

-The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
-Chained
-Dead Season
-Antiviral
-Isolation
-Redd Inc.
-Vile
-Escape From Tomorrow
-Honeymoon (forgot about this, gaffer said it was good)

I'm scratching to find stuff to watch as usual :/

I've always wondered if escape from tomorrow would ruin disneyland for me.

Hex

Banned
Been on a nostalgia kick, I forgot how much I love older horror from the 60s to early 90s with a huge love for Hammer era films.
Watched Bava's Baron Blood last night and House of Dark Shadows, been marathoning Kolchak the Night Stalker today which is classic.

Does anyone remember any horror movies with a boat outboard motor being used as a weapon?

I'm aware of
Zombie Holocaust
and
Rec 4
, but I'm pretty sure there's something else (fairly recent) that I can't remember.

It's been bugging me so hopefully someone here knows what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a zombie movie.

vityaz

There Will Be No ‘Scream 5’…
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3350829/will-scream-5/ said:
The number one question Bloody-Disgusting readers ask is, “When will there be a fifth Scream?”

When unconfirmed news of Scream 5 hit the web back in May, we did some digging and discovered the disheartening news that there was absolutely no internal chatter of a sequel at Dimension’s headquarters.

Now, on the heels of the MTV series premiere (June 30th), Bob Weinstein, co-runner of the Weinstein Co., tells the WSJ that there will be no more Scream films. Ghostface’s legacy will live on through the new MTV series…

The site quotes Weinstein as saying:

…there won’t be any more ‘Scream’ movies, and that MTV is the right place for the property to find its next life. It’s like putting an art-house movie in an art-house theater—where the teens reside is MTV.

Being that Scream is one of the most popular franchises here on Bloody Disgusting, we refuse to believe that Dimension won’t one day revive the franchise, even as a remake. But for today, we say a heartfelt “farewell” to Ghostface and pray that the MTV series delivers a fitting conclusion to his/her vengeful lore.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3350829/will-scream-5/

Huh.

Steamlord

Does anyone remember any horror movies with a boat outboard motor being used as a weapon?

I'm aware of
Zombie Holocaust
and
Rec 4
, but I'm pretty sure there's something else (fairly recent) that I can't remember.

It's been bugging me so hopefully someone here knows what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a zombie movie.

Not recent or a zombie movie, but I Spit on Your Grave is one

lordxar

I'm aware of
Zombie Holocaust
and
Rec 4

Piranha?

Vazduh

I'm aware of
Zombie Holocaust
and
Rec 4

Piranha 3D.

Enk

makes good threads.

I'm aware of
Zombie Holocaust
and
Rec 4

Friday the 13th Part VI

Thanks for the answers about the boat motor kill, guys. I definitely must be thinking of Piranha 3D since it was such an iconic scene in that.

I'm not sure why I thought it was a zombie movie, but I do watch a lot of those and things tend to blur together after awhile.

On Chris Hardwick's recommendation from a recent Nerdist podcast, I rented Creep (2015) from iTunes:

It's a found footage movie revolving around two characters. Aaron, a cameraman who's been hired to film Josef, a soon to be father who wants Aaron to film a farewell letter to his child before he dies of cancer. Slowly, portions of Josef's strange personality start to come forward as Aaron records and it's all pretty entertaining. It's equal parts unsettling and darkly comic at times. Clocks in short at about 70 minutes and is a small, easy watch. In fact, pared down it wouldn't have been out of place in a horror anthology like VHS or something.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Could t get into Creep. Spent like 30 minutes staring at it and just can't take Mark Duplass seriously. Something about that face doesn't say "slowly going mad". Mostly says "hey I'm that weak link on The League".

Could t get into Creep. Spent like 30 minutes staring at it and just can't take Mark Duplass seriously. Something about that face doesn't say "slowly going mad". Mostly says "hey I'm that weak link on The League".

Hah I still need to get into The Leauge. I've only watched a handful of episodes so I didn't even remember he was in the show until after the movie

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Hah I still need to get into The Leauge. I've only watched a handful of episodes so I didn't even remember he was in the show until after the movie
Great show, but yea he's the weakest part of the show which is filled with stars.

Leatherface

Eyes Without a Face?

Can't say I'm a fan of the New French Extremity movement, and I say this as a person who loves some good gore.

I'll check it out, thanks. I'm the exact opposite btw. I actually loved almost all the modern French horror movies I've seen and not because of the gore but for how unforgiving and unapologetic they tend to be. I genuinely "feel" a sense of tension, shock not to mention I'm legitimately uncomfortable when I watch them. THAT to me is true horror and very hard to accomplish. They are by no means perfect horror movies, but capturing this, for me anyway, is a rarity so they must be doing something right.

drotahorror

Anyone see this one yet? Thoughts? #curious
https://youtu.be/nceySzfi0cI

Edit: Looks like someone above saw this and didnt like it. Thought I stumbled on a gem. Oh well. I want to see a good French horror movie damn it!!

Doesn't mean it's bad. I've heard good things about it and been meaning to watch it.

I'll check it out, thanks. I'm the exact opposite btw. I actually loved almost all the modern French horror movies I've seen and not because of the gore but for how unforgiving and unapologetic they tend to be. I genuinely "feel" a sense of tension, shock not to mention I'm legitimately uncomfortable when I watch them. THAT to me is true horror and very hard to accomplish. They are by no means perfect horror movies, but capturing this, for me anyway, is a rarity so they must be doing something right.

Examples? The french horror movement seemed short lived. What did we get uh, Haute Tension, Inside, Frontier(s), Irreversible, Martyrs?

Anything else notable? I enjoyed some of them, Haute Tension being one of my favorite movies ever. Alexandre Aja is probably my favorite director.

Leatherface

Doesn't mean it's bad. I've heard good things about it and been meaning to watch it.

Examples? The french horror movement seemed short lived. What did we get uh, Haute Tension, Inside, Frontier(s), Irreversible, Martyrs?

Anything else notable? I enjoyed some of them, Haute Tension being one of my favorite movies ever. Alexandre Aja is probably my favorite director.

Yeah that pretty much covers it unfortunately. There is supposed to be a newer one out that is by the director of frontier(s) (I think?). It's about a group of kids that witness a murder and are then hunted by the killer. Didn't realize these movies kind of ended after the list above. Thought I was just behind. :'(

Leatherface

So I watched

livid-uk-dvd-artwork.jpg

eh. It was alright. It was entertaining enough I suppose but the build up was too long and then the director didn't seem to know where to go with it after it awhile. I loved "Inside" so this was def a let down. :\

drotahorror

Yeah that pretty much covers it unfortunately. There is supposed to be a newer one out that is by the director of frontier(s) (I think?). It's about a group of kids that witness a murder and are then hunted by the killer. Didn't realize these movies kind of ended after the list above. Thought I was just behind. :'(

Yeah, was a good time when all those flicks were comin out. Too bad they didn't really take off.

So I watched

/IMG]

eh. It was alright. It was entertaining enough I suppose but the build up was too long and then the director didn't seem to know where to go with it after it awhile. I loved "Inside" so this was def a let down. :\[/QUOTE]

That's unfortunate. Still wanna check it out.

If anyone's interested in checking out some random movies, here's a list I've been working on for a while. Some of these will probably never come out, or won't be out for years. (Like You're Next, saw a review in 2011, took what, 3 years to come out?) Some are out as well.

Crazy Fat Ethel. Among the Living. Theatre of the Dead. The Green Inferno. Greatful Dead (2013). Almost Human (2013). Crawlspace (2014). Coherence. Smothered. The Devil's Hand. Hellmouth. The Houses October Built. Over Your Dead Body. Shrew's Nest. Cub (2014).

julrik

Are there any movies from the last 15 years which are genuinely scary or at least downright unsettling/chilling for an adult? Struggling to find one, but I'd really, really like to.

T.O.P

Banned
Are there any movies from the last 15 years which are genuinely scary or at least downright unsettling/chilling for an adult? Struggling to find one, but I'd really, really like to.

Noroi, Inside or Martyrs maybe?

Being downright scared when you watch thousands of horror movies can get hard as fuck lol

julrik

Noroi, Inside or Martyrs maybe?

Being downright scared when you watch thousands of horror movies can get hard as fuck lol
Very true. I love horror movies in general, but very few are actually scary and most of them are not scary at all. I wish there were some absolutely frightening movies out there.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will definitely watch Noroi. I've heard about Inside and Martyrs, and seen the trailers, but never got around to watch them. Might do that now, BUT aren't they just gore fest flicks? If Martyrs is anything like i.e. I Spit on your Grave, I wouldn't exactly call it scary.

T.O.P

Banned
Very true. I love horror movies in general, but very few are actually scary and most of them are not scary at all. I wish there were some absolutely frightening movies out there.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will definitely watch Noroi. I've heard about Inside and Martyrs, and seen the trailers, but never got around to watch them. Might do that now, BUT aren't they just gore fest flicks? If Martyrs is anything like i.e. I Spit on your Grave, I wouldn't exactly call it scary.

They are mostly on the gore side (especially Inside) but Martyrs got me good on the psychological side as well tbh, i also watched the movie at release and i only had just begun getting obsessed of the horror genre so that might've done some work on my opinion of it donnow lol

It's for sure worth a watch in any case tho

BTW

Just rewatched the GOAT (Cabin in the Wodds) and while looking for some extra stuff about it i got this suggestion, dude seemed pretty impressed on the uniqueness side of the movie

422120_lg_event_main.jpg

Is the hassle of tracking it down worth it gaf?

julrik

They are mostly on the gore side (especially Inside) but Martyrs got me good on the psychological side as well tbh, i also watched the movie at release and i only had just begun getting obsessed of the horror genre so that might've done some work on my opinion of it donnow lol

It's for sure worth a watch in any case tho
Thanks for your replies. Will probably pass on Inside, but I'll watch Martyrs and Noroi.

Dead Silence was pretty unsettling to me.
Thanks. Added to my list!

While I'm here; are there any really scary alien/alien abduction movies out there? Not the Event Horizon types of movies, but more similar to The Fourth Kind(?) with Mila Jokovic(?). That one's not that scary, but I love the theme.

Leatherface

So I watched a couple movies I've been meaning to check off my list yesterday.

p8491725_d_v7_aa.jpg

Was decent. Basically like Open Water with more shark attacks. Decent acting and production. Worth watching IMO.

p8363898_p_v7_aa.jpg

Zomg this movie was AWESOME! I recommend this x1000 i you haven't seen it yet. Edge of your seat type stuff here.

Top Bottom