• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

imBask

Banned
So the movie was really effective then?

I watched it for the first time this month

it drove me insane in the wrong way, it was just irritating and I wanted it to end because I was bored out of my mind. As I said it's super subjective,

I think the movie does some things really well but aged poorly. As you said, the introduction of leatherface was great, I liked the scene in the van at the beginning, etc. I just hate the setting, the whole Texas road on a hot summer day just doesn't click with me as much as the Camp Blood or the midwest suburbs setting did

I watched Texas Chainsaw for the 1st time in a long ass time last October and loved it. I also really enjoyed Parts 2 & 3 even though 3 has some obvious flaws. Really hated the Jessica Biel remake when I saw it in theaters back when it released.

I cannot wait for the horror challenge this year. I've been holding back on watching anything I haven't seen until it comes around, especially on Shudder.

I also found out my local Alamo Drafthouse is showing Suspiria in 35mm in October. I think I drooled a little bit over that news.

Pachimari

So when this "31 days of horror" thread starts up, will we have to post our planned list before we begin? I need to find 31 movies? I think I'm at 30 now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Got finally my copy of Dont Torture A Duckling. Tomorrow should the Sister of Ursula arrive.
Seems like Friday is going to be another Giallo evening

So when this "31 days of horror" thread starts up, will we have to post our planned list before we begin? I need to find 31 movies? I think I'm at 30 now.

The goal is 31 movies, but obviously that's a difficult task for some people, so it's not enforced. As long as you watch the movies during October you can participate in the thread. That and you must post some kind of review/opinion are the only rules that are really important. It'll be explained in the thread, or you can check one of the older threads, this will be our 6th year doing it.

how does this work? shouldn't we create a collective list instead?

We don't do a collective list because coming up with 31 movies that are easily available and that everyone wants to watch would be next to impossible. We do include 2 "mandatory" movies now though. One public domain movie that everyone should be able to access and one Netflix pick for people that subscribe to that.

The goal is 31 movies, but obviously that's a difficult task for some people, so it's not enforced. As long as you watch the movies during October you can participate in the thread. That and you must post some kind of review/opinion are the only rules that are really important. It'll be explained in the thread, or you can check one of the older threads, this will be our 6th year doing it.
Would it be okay to rewatch movies I saw recently? Didn't know about the 31 movies thread, or else I would have saved Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw for October

Would it be okay to rewatch movies I saw recently? Didn't know about the 31 movies thread, or else I would have saved Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw for October

Yeah, that's fine. I personally go for movies I haven't seen just because I find it makes the month easier to get though, but as long as you rewatch them during Oct and offer new opnions it's cool.

strafer

huh I had no idea this thread was a thing!

hi

I've never been a horror fan until recently, but now i'm all in!I A month ago I finished a quest : watch every movie from the 4 big slasher franchises. I had never seen any of them previous to this challenge! I guess this is the place to share my thoughts

here's the complete list and grades. Just remember that those are super subjective, I wasn't grading them on anything really specific other than my overall enjoyment

It was hella fun except for a couple of rough spots, especially with the Halloween and Texas Chainsaw. Overall I think F13 was my favorite franchise, followed by Scream

i'm now also working on a secondary list (Liste Secondaire at the bottom there) and i'm just filling it with movies I wanna watch, slasher or not. I'll probably do another marathon in october, since I still have a billion classics to catch up on

Welcome.

Nice list.

GhaleonEB

Each year I do a mix of re-watches and new films. Trick'r Treat is an annual tradition, as is The Thing. (I was too busy for the marathon last year, but will participate this year.)

Each year I do a mix of re-watches and new films. Trick'r Treat is an annual tradition, as is The Thing. (I was too busy for the marathon last year, but will participate this year.)

Trick 'r Treat used to be one of those I'd watch every year, but I think "Tales of Halloween" might actually have it beat for me as the new king of seasonal anthology films.

I usually cheat and start at the end of September since I'm always in New York City for the last 2 days of October for Halloween festivities and I never get a chance to watch stuff then.

That's fine. It's not like we could enforce any of the rules even if we wanted to. As long as people don't make a big scene out of stuff and go against the spirit of the thread (because at that point, why even post in it as opposed to just posting in this one?) no one really cares.

Trick 'r Treat used to be one of those I'd watch every year, but I think "Tales of Halloween" might actually have it beat for me as the new king of seasonal anthology films.

Hm. I have that in my pile too, I wasn't planning on watching it this year, but I think I might have to squeeze that in now.

Aske

Thanks for the spoilers.

If you've not seen Baskin, give it a watch. I enjoyed everything about it, and the experience itself really can't be spoiled. You have to get on the ride and see where it takes you. Definitely one of the most interesting horror films made in the last few years.

imBask

Banned
just finished Child's Play 2. Not gonna lie i'm digging this franchise so far, it's campy and dumb but it's kinda fun

it's like they got lost in the process, it's got all the kids movie beats but people die and there's blood!

Melchiah

If you've not seen Baskin, give it a watch. I enjoyed everything about it, and the experience itself really can't be spoiled. You have to get on the ride and see where it takes you. Definitely one of the most interesting horror films made in the last few years.

Shit, I mixed up that people were talking about Don't Breathe, which is why I considered what was posted a spoiler. I must have been running really slow at the time. Apologies.

Anyways, Baskin is on my list as well. Just waiting for it to arrive here.

glow

Banned

Yeah, I liked Baskin too. Wish I knew more about Turkish culture though, it was hard for me as an American to make sense out of some of it. I hope to see more horror movies out of the Middle East after seeing Baskin and A Girl Walks Home Along at Night.

Anyone here see I Am Not a Serial Killer yet? See that it's been reviewing really well and Amazon has it up for rent, something I don't do very often but figured maybe it'd be worth a shot since I don't have any movies to see in theaters this week.

Pachimari

I currently have 34 movies in my horror playlist for October. I'll slim it down toward the end of the month.

There have been some great recommendations in here as well.

So what's the consensus on the Conjuring series?

I generally don't care for the big studio horror movies or ghost/paranormal/whatever movies. I absolutely hated Insidious and I don't find dolls scary, so I didn't bother with The Conjuring or Annabelle. With C2's blu-ray release coming up I've gotten kind of curious though. Should I bother watching any of them?

I did think Oculus was okay and Sinister had some good stuff in the first half before it got kinda stupid (overall I liked it though), if that helps.

rtcn63

I generally don't care for the big studio horror movies or ghost/paranormal/whatever movies. I absolutely hated Insidious and I don't find dolls scary, so I didn't bother with The Conjuring or Annabelle. With C2's blu-ray release coming up I've gotten kind of curious though. Should I bother watching any of them?

I did think Oculus was okay and Sinister had some good stuff in the first half before it got kinda stupid (overall I liked it though), if that helps.

Conjuring 1 = Good execution, I routinely rewatch it alongside Insidious and Oculus
Conjuring 2 = If you didn't like some of the sillier stuff from Sinister, you're going to hate C2. It's inconsistent in what it wants to be, there are arguably significant plot holes, and the scare factor is heavily downplayed. A worse movie than Conjuring 1 by far.

I thought The Conjuring had some decent moments near the start when it was all implication and building tension.

I think it falls apart pretty quickly when it devolves into effects makeup scary-face jumpscares and quietquietquietquietLOUD cliches.

But that's kind of my experience with James Wan in general, to be honest.

Conjuring 1 = Good execution, I routinely rewatch it alongside Insidious and Oculus
Conjuring 2 = If you didn't like some of the sillier stuff from Sinister, you're going to hate C2. It's inconsistent in what it wants to be, there are arguably significant plot holes, and the scare factor is heavily downplayed. A worse movie than Conjuring 1 by far.

I'll be passing on Conjuring 2 then, thanks.

I thought The Conjuring had some decent moments near the start when it was all implication and building tension.

I think it falls apart pretty quickly when it devolves into effects makeup scary-face jumpscares and quietquietquietquietLOUD cliches.

But that's kind of my experience with James Wan in general, to be honest.

Ugh. And definitely passing on Conjuring 1 as well. Thanks for the opinions.

An American Werewolf in London is so good.

The transformation scene has still not been beaten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFLQS12z8K4

Yup, great movie. The ending still makes me laugh out loud.

Edit: If you haven't seen it, make sure you check out John Landis' Masters of Horror episode, Deer Woman.

obin_gam

I'll be passing on Conjuring 2 then, thanks.

Ugh. And definitely passing on Conjuring 1 as well. Thanks for the opinions.

Or you could make up your own mind.
The fact is that both films have rave reviews as horrors.

The Conjuring: 86%
Average Rating: 7.2/10
Reviews Counted: 202
Fresh: 173
Rotten: 29

The Conjuring 2: 80%
Average Rating: 6.7/10
Reviews Counted: 203
Fresh: 162
Rotten: 41

I prefer Conjuring 2 actually, I hated the disjointed third act of the first, felt like a completely different film. Both are great though.

rtcn63

My biggest issues with C2 are (major spoilers)

The Crooked Man. He was entirely out of place, similar how the kids jumped around in slow-motion during Sinister.

The Demon, specifically its end-game. The movie hints heavily that it wants Patrick Wilson's character, but near the end of the film, it makes a concerted effort to send him and Lorraine away. Not just that, but the Demon gave Lorraine the means to defeat it without plausible explanation. You could argue reverse psychology and taunting, but still, why? It's intentions weren't exactly clear.

But overall, I just thought the first Conjuring was scarier and better paced overall. It wasn't a particularly memorable story, but it was executed well enough.

When you're trying to trim a massive list down to 31 movies, you're not often left with the option of including something you're probably not going to like just to "make up your own mind", which is why you ask for opinions from a trusted source.

Thanks to those posters, I've had my worries about the series confirmed and I don't care to waste a slot for the marathon with LOUD NOISES movies. I may decide to watch them in the future out of curiosity, but it won't be during my October viewings.

As for the Rotten Tomatoes scores, well, it's fun to go look at them but with all due respect, mainstream press is not my first stop for horror reviews. It does fill me with a little hope seeing they scored higher than Insidious though.

HiiiLife

Conjuring 2 was fine and still has one of the best scenes in a horror film I've experienced in a long time. Check them both out.

Linkhero1

Is Disturbia worth watching? Currently have it on my list since I've been meaning to watch it for the longest time, but I wanted some opinions.

Zombine

Banned
Disturbia is a really decent summer movie. It's no less derivative than Stranger Things. It's probably one of Shia's more tolerable roles and the cast is decent. It's a 7/10.

This is true, and I'm not saying that anyone who likes those movies is wrong.

However, my experience with mainstream reviews of horror stuff has been...not great. A lot of it seems geared towards what I think of as 'mainstream theater horror", which is stuff like James Wan and other high-profile releases, the ones that people who aren't "horror fans" go to see because they have a lot of jump scares in them.

And there's nothing wrong with that! That stuff is totally fine, and those people aren't "doing it wrong" because they like those movies. It's just that, if you've seen a lot of horror movies, a lot of that stuff might seem like tired retreads, whereas the intended audiences aren't as inured to the same old familiar tricks and plot beats.

(The contrary is also true - "art house" horror or more niche stuff tends to get much more mixed reviews. The Rotten Tomatoes scores for "American Mary" and the original "Martyrs" are a testament to that, with only the occasional rare crossover like "The Babadook" managing to break through.)

This is also why I appreciate Mark Kermode's horror reviews - he's a solid critic, but he's also definitely well-versed in the genre.

Top Bottom