• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

T.O.P

Banned
Casually found An American Werewolf in London in BD in a small shop along the highway while getting back home

Wanted to rewatch this movie for a long ass time, tonight it is

Monocle

Watched The Witch for the first time a couple of weeks back. Very good.

I sort of agree with the critic who said the film hobbled itself in a couple of ways (ending spoilers ahead), that it ends
with a disturbing 'witches are real this shit is fucked' last moment but then has the gall to have a title card stating 'this is all closely based on real accounts and research'.

I see what the critic is saying, and don't truly agree with them, but there is something flawed about that.

I fucking loved how realistic the dialogue and lifestyle was. So on-point. You could really tell it was based on real Old Bailey-style transcripts (of which I have read many).
I don't see that claim as a liability at all. The movie tips its hand very early on,
the first time you see the witch
. It's an extensively researched account of New England puritan life, with the straightforward conceit that
their beliefs concerning witchcraft and Satan are true.
I can't bring myself to see that as a negative when it intensifies the threat and makes the family's ordeal so much more engrossing than it would have been if
the movie had played coy about whether something was really out there in the woods. We know something's out there, and it's horrible. It's going to tear this fundamentally good family apart, and there's nothing they can do to stop it.

The Witch makes no apologies for what it is, and why should it? This is a rare horror movie that delivers on its promises, and manages to create a compelling sense of dread without ever trying to fool the audience.

imBask

Banned
I really, really hated The Witch. I fought to stay awake the whole time. Crazy how different people get different vibes from some movies

Also while we're talking about witches, maybe I should catch up and finally watch Blair Witch Project so I can see the new one

kinggroin

Banned
I don't see that claim as a liability at all. The movie tips its hand very early on,
the first time you see the witch
. It's an extensively researched account of New England puritan life, with the straightforward conceit that
their beliefs concerning witchcraft and Satan are true.
I can't bring myself to see that as a negative when it intensifies the threat and makes the family's ordeal so much more engrossing than it would have been if
the movie had played coy about whether something was really out there in the woods. We know something's out there, and it's horrible. It's going to tear this fundamentally good family apart, and there's nothing they can do to stop it.

The Witch makes no apologies for what it is, and why should it? This is a rare horror movie that delivers on its promises, and manages to create a compelling sense of dread without ever trying to fool the audience.

Fundamentally not good.

Starting with the father, who's stubborn piousness and pride sets a poor foundation to build a new life and family upon, allowing the witch to easily penetrate their unit.

And its funny, because the whole time he's praying to God for answers, yet despite all the logic being tossed his way regarding what needs to be done (there were answers), continues to hold steadfast - yet with every new disaster "OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE TO HAVE YOU FORSAKE ME"

The Witch is pretty much a new England horror tale version of the drowning man parable.

Edit: I agree with everything else you've said (your main point).

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Do any of you have a list of practical effect eye candy films?

Just re watched Pet Semetary last night, completely forgot how cool the gore is in it. I need more.

kinggroin

Banned

Just re watched Pet Semetary last night, completely forgot how cool the gore is in it. I need more.

New Stuff:
The Mind's Eye
American Guinea Pig films (disturbing)
Headless (disturbing)
Green Room (handful of moments, but very effective)
Cat Sick Blues
"Safe Haven" story in VHS 2
Z is for Zygote in ABCs of Death 2

Old Stuff:
The Thing
Re-Animator
Return of the Living Dead
Evil Dead 1&2
Fright Night

Just off the top of my head

Casually found An American Werewolf in London in BD in a small shop along the highway while getting back home

Wanted to rewatch this movie for a long ass time, tonight it is

It's one of the greatest horrors ever! Might be bad timing on your purchase though, it's been remastered and is getting a new Blu-ray at the end of this month.

The Blob (remake)

The Fly
The Fly II
An American Werewolf in London
Jeepers Creepers
Day of the Dead
The Howling
Fright Night (the original)
From Beyond
Re-Animator
Hellraiser 1 and 2
Nightbreed
Demons 1 and 2

Aske

Hellraiser
Adam Chaplin
Laid to Rest 1 and 2
(these movies are love letters to 80s slashers, and they don't get near enough love)
Evil Dead Trilogy
Nightmare on Elm Street 1-7
Society

Hellraiser
Adam Chaplin
Laid to Rest 1 and 2
(these movies are love letters to 80s slashers, and they don't get near enough love)
Evil Dead Trilogy
Society

I'd like to add Dagon (2001). Not counting a few bad CGI effects the "handmade" gore in it is quite gruesome. Also the atmosphere is great.

Booser

I'd like to add Dagon (2001). Not counting a few bad CGI effects the "handmade" gore in it is quite gruesome. Also the atmosphere is great.

YES! I thought Dagon was awesome, I remember thinking at the time that Resident Evil 4 might have taken a lot of influence from it.

limbopunk

Neo Member
Watched The Witch for the first time a couple of weeks back. Very good.

Just watched it the other night. I really loved the atmosphere and setting, but the ending really didn't do it for me.From about
the time she wakes up and talks to Black Phillip
on, I sort of completely checked out.

kinggroin

Banned
Just watched it the other night. I really loved the atmosphere and setting, but the ending really didn't do it for me.From about
the time she wakes up and talks to Black Phillip
on, I sort of completely checked out.

Her back and forth with Black Phillip was the scariest shit in that film by far. Sucks to hear you weren't feeling it.

edit: For anyone in Burbank, CA - There is a special signing for the special edition release of 'Tales of Halloween'

http://www.ttf13.com/news/2016/9/8/tales-of-halloween-collectors-edition-get-your-copy-signed

unnamed.jpg

limbopunk

Neo Member
Sucks to hear you weren't feeling it.

I wanted to love it, but ended up only liking it. I watched it the same night I watched It Follows. Of the two, It Follows did a lot more for me. Though, they are ENTIRELY different films. Trying to get back into horror and those two were the most talked about lately.

JJD

THE BLOB (1988 version)

Seriously man, go watch it.

It doesn't get the love The Thing gets (granted TT is a better movie) but as far as practical effects go The Blob is just as good.

Nudull

Banned
Hellraiser
Adam Chaplin
Laid to Rest 1 and 2
Evil Dead Trilogy
Society

Was going to add The Fly, Fright Night and The Fly II, but someone already covered it.

drotahorror

The Evil Dead remake is getting a BluRay Director's Cut release
http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3405863/fede-alvarezs-evil-dead-getting-blu-ray-directors-cut/

D1, had loads of fun watching the movie

Yes!

Couple of recent ones...

Evil Dead remake is insane.

Also Planet Terror. Jeez, Planet Terror, it's beautiful.

kinggroin

Banned
Man, I completely missed this one. Just watched the trailer. I'm gonna have to track this down somewhere to be able to throw it in for 31 days of horror.

Is it anything like Trick r Treat?

Like it? Yes.

As good? Eh...not quite. I'd put it at the same level as Kevin Smith's 'Holidays'.

I just watched The Wicker Man (1973 original) and I was really blown away by this film. Incredible atmosphere and well-researched pagan setting. The ending is very disturbing.

Any other films that are this good?

I just watched The Wicker Man (1973 original) and I was really blown away by this film. Incredible atmosphere and well-researched pagan setting. The ending is very disturbing.

Any other films that are this good?

It's on my list for next month, I'm really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, the ending was spoiled for me years ago, that's expected though when it's so iconic and disturbing.

glow

Banned
Laid to Rest 1 and 2[/b] (these movies are love letters to 80s slashers, and they don't get near enough love

They deserve more credit. The second one's plot is prett stupid but they make up for it with some good kills with sharp objects. 😏

Ha, you just inadvertently recommended it to GAF.

;-)

Yeah haha pretty much! If you've got stomach for it, it's actually a pretty decent movie. It's not the most disturbing movie I've seen by far and the gore is well-done. It was directed by the guy who did the special FX for Found too, which I kinda liked for what it was..

It's on my list for next month, I'm really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, the ending was spoiled for me years ago, that's expected though when it's so iconic and disturbing.

Unfortunately you have to go into the movie completely blind to not see it coming. By that I mean,
not knowing what a wicker man is or even looking at the cover art.

kinggroin

Banned
It was an extremely safe but well directed/acted movie

Didn't really do anything to try and stand out from other similar titles imo

More of the same with the sequel, It feels like a by-the-numbers well-produced Wan film, with a few more blemishes versus the first film.

Antibirth with Natasha Lyonne was... interesting. That girl plays a fantastic junkie.

Really strange ending though, still probably a 3/5 or so.

Top Bottom