• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

I'm very excited for the restoration, I know there are going be quite a few calling foul at Coscarelli tinkering with old effects shots though. It sounds like he's kept it to a minimum though.

I have not seen this yet. Is it on Netflix? Thinking about adding it to my list.

Do it! It's a great piece of 80's horror, and it's worth watching for the effects alone. I rewatched it last year for the first time since I was a kid, and they made my jaw drop. It's not on Netflix though, and the blu-ray is OOP, I believe I had to rent it digitally.

So what's the consensus on the Conjuring series?

I generally don't care for the big studio horror movies or ghost/paranormal/whatever movies. I absolutely hated Insidious and I don't find dolls scary, so I didn't bother with The Conjuring or Annabelle. With C2's blu-ray release coming up I've gotten kind of curious though. Should I bother watching any of them?

I did think Oculus was okay and Sinister had some good stuff in the first half before it got kinda stupid (overall I liked it though), if that helps.

I walked away thinking it was James Wan's best film, but I've really only seen a few. Never saw Insidious so I don't really have a reference point, but I always figured that it had a lot in common with The Conjuring.

I also remember being disappointed by it after reading reviews, I thought the third act abandoned the tone set by the two, and also got fairly cheesy by the end. This is coming from a guy that loves a side of cheese with his horror, but it kind of felt like it came out of nowhere and was out of place. Outside of that, I can't really remember too much about it except thinking that it was alright at best. However, this board is all over the place when it comes to modern horror. For every poster that praises The Conjuring, It Follows, The Babadook, and The Witch, there is always someone that thinks they're shit. If you don't have much breathing room on your list this year, and are still curious, I would watch the first installment as a warm up for October.

Monocle

Saw Circle. For a movie that's almost all about a bunch of people talking to each other in a single room, there's never a dull moment. The whole thing was enjoyable and well written. The actors really sold their characters and their situation. Things didn't play out exactly as I was hoping, but that's OK. I admire any movie that can keep me engaged and on the edge of my seat with dialogue alone.

Saw Honeymoon. Pretty good. Both actors are charming and totally believable as newlyweds. (I expected no less from Game of Thrones and Penny Dreadful alumni.) I would have liked a couple more unsettling scenes like the first one where
the guy finds his wife outside at night
. The plot is good and the ending works. I just thought there was more juice to squeeze out of that great lakeside setting, as well as the creepy concept that a person you know is somehow no longer themselves.

Saw Creep. I liked this one a little more than Honeymoon, mostly because it's perfectly paced and has an entirely satisfying payoff. It knows where it's headed and doesn't rush to get there. There was a point where the movie could have ended if events had played out differently. I love that it kept going and fully exploited all the setup in the first two acts. The movie plays with your expectations very well, letting tension build with no release in some places, and giving you a proper scare in others. By the end, I didn't feel like I needed to see more. And the story didn't overstay its welcome either. Good stuff.

Zombine

Banned
I love looking at all of the absolute garbage that Shout/Scream Factory pumps out so they can give us amazing remasters. It's like browsing a dollar store and finding the DVD section.

strafer

Disturbia is a really decent summer movie. It's no less derivative than Stranger Things. It's probably one of Shia's more tolerable roles and the cast is decent. It's a 7/10.

I like Shia in that movie. Reminds me off myself when I was younger.

I walked away thinking it was James Wan's best film, but I've really only seen a few. Never saw Insidious so I don't really have a reference point, but I always figured that it had a lot in common with The Conjuring.

I also remember being disappointed by it after reading reviews, I thought the third act abandoned the tone set by the two, and also got fairly cheesy by the end. This is coming from a guy that loves a side of cheese with his horror, but it kind of felt like it came out of nowhere and was out of place. Outside of that, I can't really remember too much about it except thinking that it was alright at best. However, this board is all over the place when it comes to modern horror. For every poster that praises The Conjuring, It Follows, The Babadook, and The Witch, there is always someone that thinks they're shit. If you don't have much breathing room on your list this year, and are still curious, I would watch the first installment as a warm up for October.

Hm. Well, there's definitely a lot of differing opinions. I'll see if I can squeeze in the first one over the weekend and if I like it, I'll do C2 during the marathon.

imBask

Banned
I watched The Loved Ones and I don't know how I feel about it. It was alright, lots of plot holes but heh whatever, the setting was good

Aske

Just watched The Conjuring 2. I think I said the first movie felt like Baby's First Horror. Ghost design was just awful, I don't even remember the specifics of the plot, and the whole thing was largely tedious for anyone with much exposure to the horror genre. This one is infinitely better - but obviously that's not saying much. It's nothing profound, still a far cry from Wan's best stuff, and still a very watered down horror that's not going to rattle any cages; but for me, it was definitely worth the watch.

In my opinion it was better than both Sinister flicks and Insidious 3, but probably not as good as Insidious 2, which I felt was a huge step down from Insidious 1. Your mileage may vary.

Thinking of James Wan's whole catalogue of horror films, Dead Silence is still by far my favourite; and I enjoyed Insidious on a par with Saw 1 and 2.

obin_gam

Searching for more obscure horrors I came across this fantastic news: There is a sequel anthology production project of the old asian Guinea Pig series out now called American Guinea Pig. From what I can gather there are thus far three movies under the prefix:

1. BOUQUET OF GUTS & GORE (2014) Trailer
Two women are abducted by a group of snuff filmmakers and brought into a Hellish nightmare of unmistakable brutality, viciousness and destruction that will leave every viewer shocked, amazed and awestruck.
american-guinea-pig-bouquet-of-guts-and-gore.jpg

2. BLOODSHOCK (2015) Trailer
A man finds himself trapped and used for medical experiments in an abandoned mental facility. He doesn’t understand why or how he got there, but the surgical tortures allow him to experience a new level of pain, sadness and reality he has never felt before. As the levels of maniacal mutilation enfolds, he finds himself down the rabbit hole. Grasping onto anything, the tormented finds a way out. Clutching onto what every human being is desperate for... little does he understand, his ending is all of our endings.

3. SONG OF SOLOMON (2016) (in prodcution)
After witnessing the brutal father's suicide, Mary (Jessica Cameron) becomes the target of demonic forces. While the Church tries to save an innocent soul from the devastating demonic possession, famine, drought and chaos indicate that the end of the world is near. The coming of Christ is still far away because, before him, the Antichrist will reign on earth for seven consecutive years. This is the true nature of the Song of Solomon: give the world what's waiting for a long time or bad.

For everything that has been written about the Human Centipede movies and how "gruesome" and "vile" and "sick" they are, they are like Disney flicks compared to the original Guinea Pig movies. I haven't seen any of these above yet, but am currently tracking them down.

Linkhero1

I really hope Netflix updates their horror films. I did a search of the ones on my current list and there are only a handful available. I'm not familiar with any alternatives that are as cheap as Netflix with an abundant amount of films.

Hex

Banned
This month is killing my wallet with blu ray pick ups.

This week:
Christoper Lee's Count Dracula
Frank Langella's Dracula
Hammer double feature Revenge of Frankenstein & The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
Hammer double feature The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll & The Gorgon

Next week:

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray]
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray]
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection [Blu-ray]
Brides of Dracula
The Curse of the Werewolf
The Phantom of the Opera
The Kiss of the Vampire
Paranoiac
Nightmare
Night Creatures
The Evil of Dr. Frankenstein

Later in the month:
IT
Salem's Lot
Cat's Eye
Waxwork/Waxwork II

kai3345

Banned
caught neon demon this weekend.

oof

i really, really wanted to like it, but wow that movie was bad. some cool imagery though

I really hope Netflix updates their horror films. I did a search of the ones on my current list and there are only a handful available. I'm not familiar with any alternatives that are as cheap as Netflix with an abundant amount of films.

Check out Shudder, they have a pretty decent selection.

This month is killing my wallet with blu ray pick ups.

This week:
Christoper Lee's Count Dracula
Frank Langella's Dracula
Hammer double feature Revenge of Frankenstein & The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
Hammer double feature The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll & The Gorgon

Next week:

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray]
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray]
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection [Blu-ray]

Later in the month:
IT
Salem's Lot
Cat's Eye
Waxwork/Waxwork II

I know the feeling.

I just bought:

Demons (Synapse)
Creepshow
Just Desserts: The Making of Creepshow
Gremlins
The Blair Witch Project
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Bay of Blood
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (40th Anniversary)
Little Shop of Horror's (Director's Cut)
The Prowler
Jeepers Creepers (Scream Factory)
Jeepers Creepers 2 (Scream Factory)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Scream Factory)
Return of the Living Dead (Scream Factory)
Possesion

I also got a region-free player, so it looks like Arrow Video is about to do some more damage. Next month is stacked as well especially with the new edition of Carrie, The Thing, and The Exorcist 3 coming.

I watched the Babadook for the first time yesterday and I can't get it out of my mind. Not the scariest movie I've seen but still SO GOOD! It was way more than a typical supernatural film. Often the plots in ghost flicks only serve the shocks and seem constructed from beginning to end.

Not here! This is deep family drama wrapped in a disturbing horror scenario. The way their already bad relationship escalated was horrifying. It may not even be a ghost flick...I'll have to think about it some more. Even if it was, the ghost/monster itself wasn't the most disturbing part.

An easy 10/10

Zombine

Banned
We're starting to enter that time of the year when dozens of Horror movies release on Blu and are on sale. I noticed that Child's Play 1 has a Blu coming out, IT has some $40 Blu-Ray set with a pretty cool looking shirt (which should be an optional set, IMO), and a bunch of horror/psychological horror movies are a part of a 3 for $20 deal (Pet Cemetary, Seven, etc).

If you want to watch Blair Witch, it looks like it's going for under $10, and Lights Out looks like it's going to have a super fast turn around and it's going to drop in October along with Conjuring 2.

Edit: Scream Factory also has their incredibly Thing Blu-Ray which comes out in 2 weeks which finally lets me retire the DVD. It includes of the the supplements from that release that were absent on the original shitty Blu-Ray release + More. Scream Factory also has Carrie coming out on October 11th.

Seriously, all of this stuff is relatively hidden.

I thought that the Scream Factory The Thing Bluray was delayed to October?

So I'm finishing up Scream Queens. Yes the show is bad. Yes everyone is awful. But I love it. I made it through five episodes before I quit and I marathoner it all but the finale yesterday and it's hilarious. Not AHS season 1 good but it aims to be something different.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does the Scream Factory Release a 4K Scan from the Master?

Wanted to updated my DVD soon, but then I will wait for a new release.

Zombine

Banned
Does the Scream Factory Release a 4K Scan from the Master?

Wanted to updated my DVD soon, but then I will wait for a new release.

YES! They do! My buddy told me to frame the DVD because it was the stuff of legends in my friend group. We used to watch it all the time and I think I watch it at least once every 3 months or so.

This is basically the end for The Thing. It doesn't get much better than this.

Edit: looks like it was pushed to the 11th.

Hex

Banned
Check out Shudder, they have a pretty decent selection.

I know the feeling.

I just bought:

Demons (Synapse)
Creepshow
Just Desserts: The Making of Creepshow
Gremlins
The Blair Witch Project
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Bay of Blood
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (40th Anniversary)
Little Shop of Horror's (Director's Cut)
The Prowler
Jeepers Creepers (Scream Factory)
Jeepers Creepers 2 (Scream Factory)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Scream Factory)
Return of the Living Dead (Scream Factory)
Possesion

I also got a region-free player, so it looks like Arrow Video is about to do some more damage. Next month is stacked as well especially with the new edition of Carrie, The Thing, and The Exorcist 3 coming.

Nice!
I love the Synapse release of Demons and Demons 2, I went nuts and got the steelbooks when they first came out.
I need to grab Just Deserts.
I decided to hold off on Exorcist 3 for a sale just because of the volume of movies hitting.

I thought that the Scream Factory The Thing Bluray was delayed to October?

So I'm finishing up Scream Queens. Yes the show is bad. Yes everyone is awful. But I love it. I made it through five episodes before I quit and I marathoner it all but the finale yesterday and it's hilarious. Not AHS season 1 good but it aims to be something different.

Show is amazing.
So much fun.

kinggroin

Banned
Searching for more obscure horrors I came across this fantastic news: There is a sequel anthology production project of the old asian Guinea Pig series out now called American Guinea Pig. From what I can gather there are thus far three movies under the prefix:

Two women are abducted by a group of snuff filmmakers and brought into a Hellish nightmare of unmistakable brutality, viciousness and destruction that will leave every viewer shocked, amazed and awestruck.

A man finds himself trapped and used for medical experiments in an abandoned mental facility. He doesn’t understand why or how he got there, but the surgical tortures allow him to experience a new level of pain, sadness and reality he has never felt before. As the levels of maniacal mutilation enfolds, he finds himself down the rabbit hole. Grasping onto anything, the tormented finds a way out. Clutching onto what every human being is desperate for... little does he understand, his ending is all of our endings.

After witnessing the brutal father's suicide, Mary (Jessica Cameron) becomes the target of demonic forces. While the Church tries to save an innocent soul from the devastating demonic possession, famine, drought and chaos indicate that the end of the world is near. The coming of Christ is still far away because, before him, the Antichrist will reign on earth for seven consecutive years. This is the true nature of the Song of Solomon: give the world what's waiting for a long time or bad.

For everything that has been written about the Human Centipede movies and how "gruesome" and "vile" and "sick" they are, they are like Disney flicks compared to the original Guinea Pig movies. I haven't seen any of these above yet, but am currently tracking them down.

The third film isn't even completed yet. Still in post (at least last time I spoke with Stephen Biro). Should be great though, stars Jessica Cameron (a prominent indie scream queen) who herself has made two awesome looking flick (Truth or Dare and Mania)

The first two AGP films can be found plenty of spots including grindhouse video (based in Ramps FL)

Our site just finished watching Bloodshock last night in fact, and while the fx work by Marcus Koch was masterful as usual, this wasnt nearly as strong a film (with regards to gore) as Boquet. Though, it's stronger focus on narrative actually makes it the better film in my honest opinion.

Also, if you're on a morbid kick, go find Atroz. Now.

Edit: duh. You literally noted next to Solomon (production) lol

kinggroin

Banned
For those with multi-region blu-ray players I can't recommend enough that you pick up a copy of Cat Sick Blues. http://monsterpictures.com.au/shop/cat-sick-blues/

I don't think Dave Jackson (director) is still handing out screeners now that his film found distribution, but it'd be better to purchase on Blu/DVD anyway considering it receives a better edit and extra fearures.

Here's my own review of the film - http://www.ttf13.com/catsickblues/

--------------

Also, fans of Cronenberg's 'Scanners' would do themselves a huge favor checking out the indie homage 'The Mind's Eye' from Joe Begos. Should be out on iTunes, Vudu, and Google Play Movies.

My review - http://www.ttf13.com/reviews/themindseye

T.O.P

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWuHv2-Abk

A korean WWZ? could be fun (director doesn't inspire me with trust tho)

For those with multi-region blu-ray players I can't recommend enough that you pick up a copy of Cat Sick Blues. http://monsterpictures.com.au/shop/cat-sick-blues/

I don't think Dave Jackson (director) is still handing out screeners now that his film found distribution, but it'd be better to purchase on Blu/DVD anyway considering it receives a better edit and extra fearures.

Here's my own review of the film - http://www.ttf13.com/catsickblues/

--------------

Also, fans of Cronenberg's 'Scanners' would do themselves a huge favor checking out the indie homage 'The Mind's Eye' from Joe Begos. Should be out on iTunes, Vudu, and Google Play Movies.

My review - http://www.ttf13.com/reviews/themindseye

Cheers, hauling em up for the October marathon :)

CSB's trailer was definetely intriguing

No Bluray release is lame. I dunno how I'd do with these I'm both intrigued and disgusted.

obin_gam

Okay, so Bouquet of Guts and Gore gave me an amusing feeling. First of all going into it I understood the concept was to be a tribute to the original Flower of Flesh and Blood. And it certainly plays as one too. I was surprised how much "american remake" it felt as well. I imagined extreme cinema producers would want to behave differently than Hollywood producers in terms of remaking stuff, but I guess it's just the american spirit. It actually feels like a remake of an asian horror:
While the original is more raw and ambiguous, the remake explains stuff more to the audience. While the original is more simplistic, the remake plays with the cinematography a bit more, and has more "life" to it in the setting up of scenes. There are also more character and they talk, in contrast to the original which only has one... well, two I guess...

I didn't dislike it, I would actually that they expanded the ending even further, making it a "real" movie by continuing on to show the industry. But at the same time, if it did, it wouldn't be a Guinea Pig movie which is the whole bloody point. So for what it is, its perfectly ok.

Now on to Bloodshock. This was kinda genious. I didn't love it per say (I'm saving that for the exorcist one) but I really really liked it. It felt like if Hostel was made by people who actually understood the genre of "torture porn" instead of a wannabe like Eli Roth. In contrast to Bouquet, this one had an arc which was fun to follow, it had characters with layers, it felt like it had a purpose instead of just doing a remake. And it had a climax - in a very literal sense <3 Saying all this though, it did not feel like a Guinea Pig movie. I kinda wish it was more raw and simpler :/

These gave me a weird feeling haha one could have been so much more for the better AND worse and one could have been so much simpler for the better AND worse.

If I were to recomend any of them - I'd go with Bloodshock. It's more fun.

kinggroin

Banned
No Bluray release is lame. I dunno how I'd do with these I'm both intrigued and disgusted.

No Blu-Ray for which?

I own the first two AGP films, both on BluRay.

Okay, so Bouquet of Guts and Gore gave me an amusing feeling. First of all going into it I understood the concept was to be a tribute to the original Flower of Flesh and Blood. And it certainly plays as one too. I was surprised how much "american remake" it felt as well. I imagined extreme cinema producers would want to behave differently than Hollywood producers in terms of remaking stuff, but I guess it's just the american spirit. It actually feels like a remake of an asian horror:
While the original is more raw and ambiguous, the remake explains stuff more to the audience. While the original is more simplistic, the remake plays with the cinematography a bit more, and has more "life" to it in the setting up of scenes. There are also more character and they talk, in contrast to the original which only has one... well, two I guess...

I didn't dislike it, I would actually that they expanded the ending even further, making it a "real" movie by continuing on to show the industry. But at the same time, if it did, it wouldn't be a Guinea Pig movie which is the whole bloody point. So for what it is, its perfectly ok.

Now on too Bloodshock. This was kinda genious. I didn't love it per say (I'm saving that for the exorcist one) but I really really liked it. It felt like if Hostel was made by people who actually understood the genre of "torture porn" instead of a wannabe like Eli Roth. In contrast to Bouquet, this one had an arc which was fun to follow, it had characters with layers, it felt like it had a purpose instead of just doing a remake. And it had a climax - in a very literal sense <3 Saying all this though, it did not feel like a Guinea Pig movie. I kinda wish it was more raw and simpler :/

These gave me a weird feeling haha one could have been so much more for the better AND worse and one could have been so much simpler for the better AND worse.

If I were to recomend any of them - I'd go with Bloodshock. It's more fun.

Agreed. Bloodshock is the more "entertaining" film.. Great special features with lots of insight too.

kai3345

Banned
Potentially going to an advanced screening of Blair Witch tonight. It's first come first served so hopefully I get in. If I do I'll report back brehs

I went with our local horror group to catch a screening of Fulci's Cat In the Brain. Jesus Christ, I forgot how godawful that movie was. I needed something to bleach it from my memory immediately, so I watched City of the Living Dead. I would honestly put that 3rd in my Fulci list behind The Beyond and Don't Torture A Duckling.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Potentially going to an advanced screening of Blair Witch tonight. It's first come first served so hopefully I get in. If I do I'll report back brehs

Oh boy i need to know how much money went into this. Cause it doesnt really matter how much but it will determine in what way it is bad.

kai3345

Banned
I'm in, starts in 15 minutes

God damn y'all I'm so hype for this movie. If anyone can do this thing justice it's Wingard.

I just have to avoid information for 2 more weeks before regular national release, right? Theaters better be showing it here. I think horror gets pretty limited showings.

kai3345

Banned
Blair Witch is definitely a found footage movie made in 2016

It's loud, there are camera distortion effects to mask cuts, and there's jumpscares abound.

That being said, it's a GOOD found footage movie in 2016. The characters are fun, the cameras are used in clever ways and the movie is constantly messing with your expectations.

I do have a few complaints though: one, the sound design is WAY too "Hollywood". Gone is the creepy minimalism of the original film's sound design, instead replaced with loud "BWAAM"s and crashes. In fact, the relative realism that grounded the original is completely gone here, which I definitely missed. Also MAJOR SPOILER
you finally see the witch, it looks dumb as you might imagine.

All that said though, for what it was, I very much enjoyed it. Just don't go in expecting the quiet tension of the original.

3/5

It's loud, there are camera distortion effects to mask cuts, and there's jumpscares abound.

That being said, it's a GOOD found footage movie in 2016. The characters are fun, the cameras are used in clever ways and the movie is constantly messing with your expectations.

I do have a few complaints though: one, the sound design is WAY too "Hollywood". Gone is the creepy minimalism of the original film's sound design, instead replaced with loud "BWAAM"s and crashes. In fact, the relative realism that grounded the original is completely gone here, which I definitely missed. Also MAJOR SPOILER

All that said though, for what it was, I very much enjoyed it. Just don't go in expecting the quiet tension of the original.

3/5

How bad was the shaky cam? Was it like the first film, or something along Cloverfield levels?

kai3345

Banned
How bad was the shaky cam? Was it like the first film, or something along Cloverfield levels?

The shakiness itself wasn't bad, at least to me. However, every character has a camera, so it's often cutting between perspectives very quickly, which I found disorienting at times.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

3/5

Was there a lot parts where the cam was not found footage? I saw just a couple of seconds of a trailer after the The Woods = Blair Witch reveal and I noticed that there was a scene that was a classic movie, which I hated.

kai3345

Banned
Was there a lot parts where the cam was not found footage? I saw just a couple of seconds of a trailer after the The Woods = Blair Witch reveal and I noticed that there was a scene that was a classic movie, which I hated.

Nope, it's all found footage. They have some fancy camera tech like an aerial drone and headcams but yeah everything is found footage.

SomTervo

Watched The Witch for the first time a couple of weeks back. Very good.

I sort of agree with the critic who said the film hobbled itself in a couple of ways (ending spoilers ahead), that it ends
with a disturbing 'witches are real this shit is fucked' last moment but then has the gall to have a title card stating 'this is all closely based on real accounts and research'.

I see what the critic is saying, and don't truly agree with them, but there is something flawed about that.

I fucking loved how realistic the dialogue and lifestyle was. So on-point. You could really tell it was based on real Old Bailey-style transcripts (of which I have read many).

I watched the Babadook for the first time yesterday and I can't get it out of my mind. Not the scariest movie I've seen but still SO GOOD! It was way more than a typical supernatural film. Often the plots in ghost flicks only serve the shocks and seem constructed from beginning to end.

Not here! This is deep family drama wrapped in a disturbing horror scenario. The way their already bad relationship escalated was horrifying. It may not even be a ghost flick...I'll have to think about it some more. Even if it was, the ghost/monster itself wasn't the most disturbing part.

An easy 10/10

Yeah, the ghost/monster is
her own trauma
, a classic idea

Great movie. The finest line is when films manage to be literal and symbolic at the same time.

Finished up Scream Queens last night. It feels like a 13 episode B movie the whole time and I can't help but enjoy it. Chad Radwell is one of the best characters on TV.

Started a rewatch of Ash vs. Evil Dead last night too. Damn did it get a stellar Bluray transfer. This was my fave show last year and it's holding up. Pilot was so amazing.

Top Bottom