• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Nemesis_

V/H/S is on amazon prime streaming for free. i'm about to check it out although i heard it was more or less garbage. gotta see for myself!

Interesting concepts in each of them, but they are ultimately a little bit flat on the execution.

I enjoyed it personally, I'm glad to see we're getting a sequel.

saw V/H/S and i actually liked it a bit. i wouldn't call it a classic but considering the mounds of horror trash i've watched recently i'd have to say its one of the better new "horror" movies. the stories were up and down:

first story was really good, i liked it a lot. it was the one with the
vampire/demon chick. pretty creepy when the guy fell down the stairs and then the girl was at the top of the stair well peeking. pretty good ending too. as the guy was running near the end i was thinking why dont you start banging on doors you dumb fuck! but then he ended up finding people and she didn't give a fuck!

second story was the guy and girl on vacation or whatever in that hotel room. this one wasn't that great. i won't call it awful but it was kinda short and just whatever. the girl in the mask was creepy and it seemed like it had potential for a bit but then it just turns out that the girl in the mask and the guys wife are lesbians who kill him. surprised to find this was directed by ti west!

third story was the one in the woods with the killer that you can't really see. just looks like a bunch of jpg artifacts or something. this story was pretty lame in my opinion. this was my least favorite story. the killer was lame. the gore was kinda cool but thats it

fourt story was about face time or skype or whatever with this girl and guy talking and you think its going to be a haunted house type story but it ends up that aliens implanted tracking devices or whatever into the girl. a bunch of stuff happens and then she believes she is a schizo who wandered out into traffic and is on medication. it ends with the guy talking to a new girl. meh, not that great.

last story was about the guys who go into an "abandoned" house and then someone is performing a satanic ritual on a girl. bunch of stuff happens and they save the girl but then she (now possessed by demon) makes the get-away car stop on train tracks and makes it so they can't unlock the doors so they all get killed by the train.

Ridley327

How's Kill List? I heard pretty good things about it, but it's still not available where I live.

I think that even the people that dislike it can't deny it's an immensely well-made film that ramps up the intensity with each progressive scene to sickening degree. It's not a gorefest, but the violence in the film is so brutal that I found myself trying to look away at times.

It's definitely a film one needs to see so they can have an opinion on it, because it certainly will elicit a strong one, good or bad.

Truant

I think you got the part about the last film wrong.

Kill List is awesome. Not a fun film to watch, it's very bleak and the fact that they hint at how past events were so gruesome that they can't even talk about them. Even more gruesome than the shit that goes down in the film itself. That part really got to me for some reason.

Melchiah

Luckily Kill List is available on European Netflix, so I'm definitely going to watch it as it sounds like a film I'd enjoy.

Just watched Thirst with my girlfriend, and found it far too long and worn out, but I did enjoy its occasional weirdness. Perhaps a bit too typical for an Asian film, but somewhat refreshing for a vampire flick. I don't think it was worth all the praise it has received on Gaf though.

JJD

Damn...I think I'm going to import a Kill List blu ray...

Everyone I talked about confirms it's a must see. Unfortunately there's a high probability that it will never be released on my country.

Kill List really came out of nowhere for me. I didn't really know what to expect. Thought it was pretty good although it has been awhile since I've seen it though.

cryptic

Anything good on netflix?I'm finishing up silent house with one of the olsen girls and I'm finding it alright, mostly because of her and the new "continuous take" feature.

Anything good on netflix?I'm finishing up silent house with one of the olsen girls and I'm finding it alright, mostly because of her and the new "continuous take" feature.

I'm also looking for Netflix recommendations. I've seen (nearly) all the classics. I watched V/H/S recently and man was that...awful.

Yea Texas 3D was awful. It had some promise in the middle, but it goes to shit in those last 15min. Agreed with the BD review, no one in the movie acts in a realistic manner and are not human.

zerotol

Banned
Have any of you watched 'Bane'? I've had it my Netflix queue for awhile now but haven't watched yet. Might watch it tonight.

inm8num2

If you didn't know better, you'd think House of the Devil was made in the early 80s.

It's great. The tension and buildup are very well done.

Anustart

If you didn't know better, you'd think House of the Devil was made in the early 80s.

Indeed, when I first put it on, I did think it was made in the 80s. It doesn't look like an 80s style modern made movie, it actually looks like it's from that era.

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
I liked it a bit. I thought it was much better than The Innkeepers.

Indeed, when I first put it on, I did think it was made in the 80s. It doesn't look like an 80s style modern made movie, it actually looks like it's from that era.

Well I think I know what I'm watching tomorrow!

Melchiah

It definitely looks authentic, but I didn't find the film itself that good. Particularly the latter half. I liked The Innkeepers more, eventhough it wasn't that great either, but at least it went up towards the end.

I have The House of the Devil on instaque, but I still haven't sat down to watch it yet. Gaf, is it worth my time?

No. They captured the 80s look and feel perfectly, but unfortunately they decided to mimic bad 80s movies instead of good ones.

Once you get past the nostalgia factor, it's a very, very dull movie. It's a complete drag all the way up to the ending, which is too weak forgive the lack of anything interesting happening for the rest of the flick.

And this is coming from someone who enjoys slow burn movies.

check out Lovely Molly on Netflix. I thought it was excellent. Just how I like my horror films.

I'm seeing that pop up on a lot of year end lists and it's caught my attention, but I'm worried it's another "LOUD NOISES!" movie which I hate. Does it depend a lot on PIANO STING! type scares?

Melchiah

No. They captured the 80s look and feel perfectly, but unfortunately they decided to mimic bad 80s movies instead of good ones.

Once you get past the nostalgia factor, it's a very, very dull movie. It's a complete drag all the way up to the ending, which is too weak forgive the lack of anything interesting happening for the rest of the flick.

And this is coming from someone who enjoys slow burn movies.

I couldn't agree more.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I'm seeing that pop up on a lot of year end lists and it's caught my attention, but I'm worried it's another "LOUD NOISES!" movie which I hate. Does it depend a lot on PIANO STING! type scares?

Not at all. Sort of the opposite of that. Slow burn, very personal movie. Sort of reminded me of Antichrist, but not that extreme.

It definitely looks authentic, but I didn't find the film itself that good. Particularly the latter half. I liked The Innkeepers more, eventhough it wasn't that great either, but at least it went up towards the end.

The Innkeepers was a boring movie with poor acting. Ti West should stop writing his own films.

The Innkeepers lost my interest halfway in. Ti West impressed me a lot more overall with what he pulled off in THotD.

But I think that's the thing with him: all of his stuff is very polarizing, including his piece in V/H/S (I enjoyed it, but so many people feel it's the worst one in the entire anthology).

strafer

Watched it last night. Pretty creepy.

HtFKY.jpg

Did that movie ever come out where the trailer showed a bunch of kids poking a corpse with pointy sticks in a cornfield in slow motion? I can't remember the name of it.

An-Det

Interesting concepts in each of them, but they are ultimately a little bit flat on the execution.

I enjoyed it personally, I'm glad to see we're getting a sequel.

I just finished V/H/S myself, that's where I stand as well. I was expecting worse, but overall I liked it despite it's flaws. I'd be up for seeing the sequel.

Mileena

Banned
Can't believe people liked V/H/S in here. I was coming off the god awful REC 3 and VHS still managed to be even more terrible. A couple of decent stories then the rest were an hour+ down the drain.

Can't believe people liked V/H/S in here. I was coming off the god awful REC 3 and VHS still managed to be even more terrible. A couple of decent stories then the rest were an hour+ down the drain.

it's probably because ive read for months how awful the movie is. my expectations were rock bottom and it honestly wasn't that bad

H2Yo

How's Kill List? I heard pretty good things about it, but it's still not available where I live.

Horrible fucking movie, absolutely shit. Bad acting, plot holes and WTF moments.
It's not scary in the slightest.

So Texas Chainsaw 4 is happening..... wrap your mind around that numbering.

3D was a huge disapointment though, but probably will watch either way :p

I am a huge TCM fan and just read your spoiler tags. I haven't seen TCM3D yet and its a bit disappointing that it doesn't take place in the 70's or 80's. It really takes out the creep factor. And its not a sequel to the Jessica Beil series? odd choice

Osietra

Banned
Horrible fucking movie, absolutely shit. Bad acting, plot holes and WTF moments.
It's not scary in the slightest.
There are quite a few bits that are seriously disturbing, and it wasn't scary, but there was

The weird paedo snuff-stash followed by the hammer death, in between seriously not bad acting, unless. The camping trip in the woods, excellent tunnel chase scene. The gunfight and then the hunchback !

It basically fulfills on the horror front for me. People Under The Stairs isn't scary, but man, that is also a sweet horror film. Ving Rhames, and another guy in a gimp suit too.

Gattsu25

Banned
im watching kill list and i have no fucking idea whats going on lol
I guess I didn't like it.

I basically watched the thriller version of (Kill List ending spoilers)
Hot Fuzz's third act and I couldn't stop laughing by the end of it.

I get what they were going for but felt that it was squandered potential.

Top Bottom